Start by marking “Advanced Physical Chemistry (Chemistry Lessons, #3)” as Want to Read:
Advanced Physical Chemistry (Chemistry Lessons, #3)

Advanced Physical Chemistry

(Chemistry Lessons #3)

After four lousy boyfriends in a row, chemical engineer Penny Popplestone swears off men until she can figure out why they keep cheating on her. But her no-men resolution hits a snag when the mysterious and superhumanly hot barista at her favorite coffee shop strikes up a friendship with her.

Penny strives to keep things platonic, but when Caleb gives her the kiss of her l
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 274 pages
Published March 16th 2018 by Haver Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Advanced Physical Chemistry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Advanced Physical Chemistry

Start your review of Advanced Physical Chemistry (Chemistry Lessons, #3)
⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Latte Love Stars!!

photo lattelove_zpsdioudkco.gif

Penny is a geeky red haired engineer who found herself following a man to a new city, only to find out he is a cheating scum like her past three boyfriends had been. Talk about a massive blow to your self esteem.

Regardless of the crap her ex put her through, Penny manages to find a sweet little life for herself in her new home of LA taking spin classes, yoga and joining a knitting group. She goes to the same coffee shop every morning for her beloved Latte and has a massi
Emer (A Little Haze)
Inoffensive drivel that somehow becomes offensive because of how dull it is.
Sofia Lazaridou
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was expecting a slightly awkward and dorky book. Something nerdier. I wasn't familiar with the series, so I had no idea what was going on with the book. I was disappointed in the end. The only good thing about this book is that it can be read as stand alone. It wasn't a disaster, but it could have been much better. It didn't have a sentence that made me laugh. And it wasn't overly romantic, so for me, the book promised a lot of things and delivered none. Penny was a decent character and she ha ...more
Siobhan
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Advanced Physical Chemistry is the third book in Susannah Nix’s Chemistry Lessons series. It’s a complete standalone, although I do believe we get to see characters from the prior books throughout this one.

Advertised as a rom-com featuring a geeky heroine working in the STEM field, I was instantly intrigued by this one. I love a good rom-com, and I love geeky heroines. Therefore, I went in with quite high expectations. Although this was an enjoyable enough read, it wasn’t quite what I had been
1-Click Addict Support Group
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Latte Love Stars!!

photo lattelove_zpsdioudkco.gif

Gaufre
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
It is more like NA chick-lit than rom-com. Better than the first one. The characters were likable and more developed. I took off a star because it is very slow to get started and another star because there is not much science at all, so it is false advertising.
Stephen
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Third in the series. Three stars.

Likes
-- Penny: Nix’s best and most rounded character yet. Loved her.
-- Penny’s attempt to move from “nice” Penny to “fun” Penny. Funny. Well done.
-- The romance: Sweet, natural feeling and well developed. Best of the three despite Caleb.
-- The dialogue. More real and conversational. Nix’s writing continues to develop in this area. Now seems to flow naturally from the characters versus from the authors fingers.
-- George. Loveable guy but too small a role. Early on
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Advanced Physical Chemistry was one of the most sweetest books I’ve read this year. Sure, it’s still fairly early with it only being March, but I’ve read a bunch of books. None of them have a more quirky, sweet, and awkward hero than this story. Caleb is absolute perfection—once you get to know him, the more he opens up and shows how amazing he is.

Penny is the main character; she’s smart, beautiful, kind, and I loved that she was a curvy girl. She might not have fit into what society deems perf
Lindsay
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Our main character this time is Penny Popplestone, a chemical engineer working on patent reviews. As she works at home, one of the ways she tries to maintain a routine is to visit a local coffee shop every day. She develops friendships with the staff and the other regulars, but one particularly attractive barista, Caleb Mayhew seems oddly hot and cold. Penny has been burnt by bad relationships before, and Caleb has issues of his own to overcome, but the attraction between them is impossible to i ...more
Natalie Dee
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
DNF’d the first in this series, but this was available immediately from my library on audiobook so I though I’d give it a shot. And I am glad I did! It was pretty fun, and packed more of an emotional punch than I expected
Thenia
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The story of Penny, a chemical engineer that has bad luck with men, and Caleb, the barista at her favorite cafe that she has a crush on.

After finding out that her latest boyfriend had been cheating on her, Penny is determined to just have some fun instead, and when mysterious, laconic Caleb starts paying attention to her, she decides that he would be the best person to have fun with.

Caleb is reluctant to get close to her, knowing that (view spoiler)
Evie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book won the contemporary Romance at the 2019 RITA awards. Quick romance read. Really liked the characters. I recommend it for a fast enjoyable read.
Susan R
Aug 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed in this, the 3rd in a series, as I really liked the first two. Characters seemed shallow, heroine objectified hero excessively. Hero closed off emotionally and no real insight into why, other than a daddy issue (strict military father stereotype). Ah, well, I will go on to read book 4.
Robyn
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
3.5 that I’m rounding up. I’d like a little more of the male perspective in this series, but Penny is so wonderful!
Lisa
Review to come!
JenReadsRomance
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The heroine is Penny Popplestone. She works from home but has a favorite local coffee shop. One night she's there with her knitting group when she spies her boyfriend with another woman. She flees to the bathroom where she's comforted by the hottie barista, Caleb. Caleb is shy, quiet and she's always thought he was cute. She realizes he's been noticing her, too.

Pluses: The writing is **very sharp**. Several times I stopped to admire a particularly pithy turn of the phrase. Penny and Caleb are b
Liz Schoenthal
I freaking adore this book. A size 16 heroine who is real and doesn’t spend the whole book fretting about being “fat”. She just says “this is the size my body wants to be” and eats healthy and exercises because they make her mentally feel better, but not with a constant obsession to lose weight. Also Caleb is amazing. I loved them both. I kept crossing my fingers the whole book thinking “it’s so good please don’t fuck it up, please don’t fuck it up!” And she didn’t. If you want a low angst read ...more
Leigh Kramer
I positively inhaled this story! Susannah Nix creates such relatable, interesting characters that I simply had to know what would happen to Penny and Caleb.

At the heart of Nix's novels are heroines who work in STEM fields. Penny is a patent examiner, who was good enough at her job to be allowed to work remotely in LA. After her fourth boyfriend cheats on her, Penny decides she needs to figure out why this keeps happening to her and I loved the self-reflection that occurred throughout the story.
Kate (kate_reads_)
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Karen
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

Susannah Nix is new to me, but the description and overall concept of Advanced Physical Chemistry reeled me in. I'm so glad it did, because it was a pleasure to read, and now I have another series to go back and catch up on.

Advanced Physical Chemistry is about two completely different people, a "hottie barista" who has a future mapped out for him - yet is discontent with his life. And a woman who is dissatisfied with her body image, but content in her work and seriously smart.

I confess, I may b
Marythios (AkaSusanne )
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Penny is a nerdy red haired engineer who found herself following a man to a new city, only to find out he is a cheating scum like her past three boyfriends had been. Talk about a massive blow to your self esteem. She works from home but has a favorite local coffee shop. One night she's there with her knitting group when she spies her boyfriend with another woman. She flees to the bathroom where she's comforted by the hottie barista, Caleb. Caleb is shy, quiet and she's always thought he was cute ...more
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
Being a female in a STEM field, the premise of this book appealed to me a lot. This was the first book I read by Susannah Nix. To be honest I had a difficult time getting into it at first but about a third of the way through I started enjoying it more and by halfway through I couldn’t put it down. It took me some time to get used to the writing and getting inside Penny’s head. I really enjoyed that she isn’t your typical female character. She isn’t a size 2 and she accepts it. And there is no re ...more
JG
*3.5 stars*

Advanced Physical Chemistry is the third book in Susannah Nix's Chemistry lessons which features female protagonist in the field of STEM. The books are loosely connected with each other and therefore can be safely read as standalones.
Advanced Physical Chemistry has a more character driven plot for a romance. Penny has found out that her latest boyfriend has been cheating on her for the last month, the latest in a long line of cheating exes that makes her question her choices in men. H
Melindeeloo
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am sad, since finishing this book means that I am done with all the books in this series. I've enjoyed the smart women who work in science related fields finding romance.

This was the spiciest of the series sensuality wise. Most of the others are almost closed door, this one goes into a bit more detail - though not totally play by play - since the relationship between our leading Penny and hot barista Caleb starts out being a booty call.

I enjoyed this story the heroine has some personal growt
Amber - TBR Book Blog
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this story!! I haven’t read the others in the series but I did buy them! And you don’t have to read them to read this story.

I loved that Penny felt real! She was self conscious, daring at times, shy, sweet and just rightfully tired of being cheated on. Poor girl!

And Caleb! Oh I loved how gruff but so sweet he could be! He wasn’t trying to make friends but he just couldn’t not become friends with Penny - the perpetual friendliest person EVER.

I read this and felt Penny’s feels r
elizrdbthspeaks
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not a nerdy person, well maybe I am nerdy in certain ways ... but I love or enjoy reading a nerdy series, I mean that with all respect to those amazing great nerds out there. for me these covers are what pulled me in right off the bat. I enjoyed this series, got 3 all at once. they were on a good price at the time of buying. Love the cover, I enjoy a romantic comedies ... new to Susannah Nix ... will read more from her in the near future. ( :
Jill Hart
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story! Penny was such a loveable main character, although it was hard to watch her get hurt and to read her insecurities. Hottie barista was the BEST and to learn his depths and soft spots made him Penny's perfect match. Nix handled this plus size heroine well, body positivity included. It was nice to read a plus size character that had come to a place of peace with where she was at and didn't spend the entire novel eating twigs and lettuce and chasing elusive sizes that we ...more
Silvia
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, humor, series, award
I'm an engineer and when I saw that this book had won a RITA I was excited to read it. Unfortunately the science aspect is barely a plot point, although there was one cute paragraph equating physical chemistry with...physical chemistry. What I enjoyed most was the dance of missed signals and misinterpretations between the main characters. I had to deduct a star rating for the endless praise of Caleb's body. It made the heroine appear to be just another simpering shallow sycophant, except she did ...more
Kristen Anderson
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars? I really wanted to like this book so I’m going to round up. It was just too frustrating. Not in the good tension way, but in the bang my head against a brick wall way. Much like Penny continued to throw herself at Caleb most of the book. Lack of communication and too little insight into the hero’s thoughts just made for a frustrating and repetitive read.
Katherine "Kj" Joslin
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2020-april
Cute Rom Com, I think I liked this book best out of the series. I appreciated the main character's decision to own her own romantic life and it goes to show that no matter how you plan things they always work out (just not the way you may have planned).
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Request to update placeholder cover 3 199 Feb 20, 2018 01:38PM

• Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
  • What Happens at Con (Fandom Hearts, #4)
  • Game of Hearts (Fandom Hearts, #3)
  • Playing Doctor (Fandom Hearts, #5)
  • Level Up (Fandom Hearts #1)
  • Ship of Fools (Fandom Hearts, #6)
  • Prose Before Bros (Green Valley Library, #3)
  • Weight Expectations (Cipher Office, #1)
  • Parental Guidance (Ice Knights, #1)
  • Ms. Behave (Fandom Hearts #4.5)
  • My Bare Lady (Scorned Women's Society, #1)
  • One True Pairing (Fandom Hearts, #2)
  • Code of Conduct (Cipher Security, #1)
  • Love in Due Time (Green Valley Library, #1)
  • Shelf Awareness (Green Valley Library, #4)
  • Sticking to the Script (Cipher Office #2)
  • Baking Me Crazy (Donner Bakery #1)
  • Crime and Periodicals (Green Valley Library #2)
Susannah Nix is a RITA® Award-winning author of contemporary romance who is best known for her Chemistry Lessons series featuring heroines who work in STEM fields. She currently lives in Texas with her husband, two ornery cats, and a flatulent pit bull.

Chemistry Lessons (5 books)
  • Remedial Rocket Science (Chemistry Lessons, #1)
  • Intermediate Thermodynamics (Chemistry Lessons, #2)
  • Applied Electromagnetism (Chemistry Lessons, #4)
  • Experimental Marine Biology (Chemistry Lessons, #5)