Start by marking “Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)” as Want to Read:
Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)

Deathless Divide

(Dread Nation #2)

The sequel to Dread Nation is a journey of revenge and salvation across a divided America.

After the fall of Summerland, Jane McKeene hoped her life would get simpler: Get out of town, stay alive, and head west to California to find her mother.

But nothing is easy when you're a girl trained in putting down the restless dead, and a devastating loss on the road to a protected
Hardcover
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by Balzer + Bray

Start your review of Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)
AJ
Feb 03, 2018 marked it as arc-to-read
*crying because I really want this book and need more Jane McKeene in my life*
viktoria
How do I review a book that wrecked my heart so thoroughly without blubbering or spoiling everything or just keyboard smashing?

Not well! But I'll try.

This was not the book I expected it to be; I enjoyed it nevertheless. I tried not to picture anything with Deathless Divide. Still, I had a vague idea of what I thought might happen. The book literally had nothing in common with my idea other than it being awesome. But thank goodness, because I never would've come up with this.

If Dread Nation is
Elise (TheBookishActress)
the Most Important 2020 release after the greatness that was book one
Samantha Sophia
Oct 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
Junstina Ireland did not come to play with us in book 1: alternative Historical zombie sci-fi where the Zombie apocalypse abruptly ends the Civil War and black people are free but subject to a caste system that places them as trained zombie fighters to protect white people. I'm ready for book 2 and hoping for a Netflix series.

description
megs_bookrack
Seriously, though...

Is it February 4th yet!!??!!??

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
HOLY SHIT BATMAN!!!! LOOK AT THAT COVER!!!

FIVE STARS AUTOMATICALLY FOR THE COVER ALONE!!!

THE FOUNTAIN PEN DIVA HAS SPOKEN. MAKE IT SO!
Betty
My review will be posted closer to the publication date... but I have to say WOW! What an excellent sequel this was... I LOVED it!
Deep_Abyss
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
etta
May 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-yet-released
WINTER 2020????? I STG THAT BETTER MEAN JANUARY FEBRUARY BECAUSE...................... ...more
jess bennett ⋆
Oct 08, 2019 marked it as wishlist
Gosh, this cover is gorgeous.
rachel ☾
Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
Zoe
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as release-2020
Sarina
Nov 04, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
EEEEEEEEEEEEE! THAT COVER!
Sarah ➖Goddess of Mischief➖
I didn't really like the first one, but the cover of the first book is too amazing for me to let this series go to waste
Museofnyxmares
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
*I was provided with an ARC of this book by the publisher, in exchange for my honest opinion.

I absolutely loved Dread Nation and I was so excited to pick this up, unfortunately though, I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I was going to. I found that this book dragged a bit, in a way that Dread Nation never did. There was a lot of travelling right from the start and for most of the novel and it got quite tedious after a short while. I'm not a big fan of books with a lot travelling in them
Audrey
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads

Jane the zombie slayer is back and she’s definitely back with and for a vengeance. This time, we also get Katherine’s pov and it definitely enhances the story. Here, the plot picks up where it ended in Dread Nation and details were artfully woven to refresh one’s memory. Overall, it’s a satisfying read, where the ending could be continued or not.

Some issues: the pacing was off. I was immediately drawn in and then it lagged about half way. It did pick up again. Even a bigger issue is
USOM
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I rarely re-read books, but after finishing Deathless Divide my first thought was, "Yes I would dive back into that". I don't know what higher praise you need? Deathless Divide not only features these two bad ass black heroines fighting both racism and zombies, but also it turns out that my fave heroines are both queer (and Katherine struggles with anxiety). Besides these amazing
Nancy
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ya
Probably more of a 3.5. Fans of the first book will not be disappointed, though this book certainly has a different feel than the first. (I might attribute this to Ireland's confession in the author's note that she was uncertain where to take the story in the sequel, meaning they were not planned out as two parts of a whole--something that always bothers me.) It is darker than the first, and very much a Western. Jane could quite easily be played by Clint Eastwood, except, y'know, obviously not. ...more
Emma
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2020
Deathless Divide was a mixed bag for me. First off, I can't imagine how hard it was to write a sequel to a book as beloved and hyped as Dread Nation.

This is in some ways tonally quite different from Dread Nation, which made sense for plot reasons though I found it a bit disappointing. In the spirit of avoiding spoilers, that's all I have to say on that matter.

The world-building in Deathless Divide was just as incredible as its predecessor and it was so neat to see more of this alternate United
Drew
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Becca Mee
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Dread Nation, so when I got approved for this title I was so stoked, but I didn't know what to expect. I am happy to say that not only does Deathless Divide live up to the high standard that Dread Nation set, but may even surpass it.
Deathless Divide picks up immediately after where Dread Nation left off: with Jane and her friends fleeing the shambler overrun town of Summerland for Nicodemus. I really enjoyed the dual perspective of this book as Ireland adds Katherine to the mix. From
Alicia
The genius of inserting Katherine as a secondary narrator proved excellent in pacing the book but also in featuring both stories. It obviously also helped when certain things came up...

Jane is Jane and readers wouldn't want it any other way. I love her revenge story. I love her spitfire. I love her sass. I love her darkness. I love Jane.

While the journey from Nicodemus to California and beyond got a little long (I needed a little more Rae Carson a la Gold Seer trilogy to move the story along
Carla Riemer
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Justina Ireland scores again with this sequel to Dread Nation. The chapters alternate between Jane McKeene and Katherine Deveraux’s perspectives, picking after they’ve escaped from Summerland. There’s still plenty of zombie fighting action but the story goes in new directions, with some unexpected twists. As Jane and Katherine make their way the narrative explores questions of morality and revenge, as well as examining the social dynamics between White people, Black people, Native Americans and ...more
Tiffaney
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deathless Divide is a terrific followup to Dread Nation. We return to the characters we've come to love and their tumultuous world exactly where we left them in the first book. A new adventure begins, this time with insight from the perspective of both Jane and Katherine. The landscape expands and we get to learn more about them both as their journey continues. We go along with them as they grow from girls into women. It's a more winding tale than the first with even more twists and turns. In ...more
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Ireland follows up Dread Nation with a novel that finds Jane and Katherine mostly on the road, travelling from settlement to settlement, trying to stay ahead of the shamblers. In fact, this is really all that happens for the entire first half of the book, which gets very repetitive. But halfway in, there's a twist that makes it all a bit more interesting. Not sure if I'd be up for a third novel unless Ireland had a really good plotline. This one seemed to be a bit lacking. Review from e-galley.
Kay Dee
Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
soooo... the cover. yeah not liking it. the girls are very pretty but....
the girls look a LOT alike.
they are even almost the same shade.
which means the one girl is not light enough to pass as white.
book covers are sooooooooooooooooooooo irritating.
they are like computers.
when they work, they work great and i take it for granted they will always work great.
when they don't work, i want to smash them and am highly disappointed.
Mike
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another excellent entry into this series. I love both these characters and Deathless Divide goes a long way towards exploring and solidifying their friendship. The straightforward manner in which both Jane's and Kate's sexuality is presented is refreshing as is the depiction of Kate's anxiety. Ireland can't write these books fast enough.
B.
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. That said, it wasn't anything like I expected it would be. It was a great follow up to Dread Nation, and the book will keep you on the edge of your seat. It's not abnormal for a sequel to be a bit of a let down when compared to the first book, but that's not the case here. Ireland really outdid herself!
emmy
Dec 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: queer-trans, ya, spooky, dnf, sff
I was so excited after reading the first couple of chapters of this book! Excellent asexual representation, plot was compelling... and then up pops casual anti-Indigenous racism *again*. I hoped that Ireland would do better in this book following the criticisms of its prequel, but unfortunately, she doesn’t seem to have. Deeply disappointing. An opportunity missed.
Victoria
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for sharing the advance copy of the second book in the series. I enjoyed the chance to catch up with the heroines from Dread Nation although I didn’t find this book as gripping as it’s predecessor, it still kept me reading. It has a great twist partway through that I didn’t see coming. I definitely recommend for anyone who has read Dread Nation.

• My Dark Vanessa
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • The Deep
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Some Places More Than Others
  • What Kind of Girl
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Your House Will Pay
  • Strange Planet
  • All Eyes on Her
  • Reverie
Justina Ireland is the New York Times bestselling author of Dread Nation (Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins), the middle-grade novel Star Wars, Flight of the Falcon: Lando’s Luck and Spark of the Resistance, a Star Wars Story (Lucasfilm Books), the fantasy young adult novels Vengeance Bound and Promise of Shadows (both Simon and Schuster), and Scream Site (Capstone Editions), a middle-grade thriller. ...more

Dread Nation (2 books)
  • Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1)