Start by marking “A Girl Like Lilac” as Want to Read:
A Girl Like Lilac

A Girl Like Lilac

The first time Toby Hunter got arrested for defending Lilac Clarke’s honour, he was only fifteen years old, but he’d loved her from behind his black-rimmed glasses for as long as he could remember.

With a desperate need to protect her from a distance, one arrest turned to two, two soon turning into three, and before Toby knew what was happening, the sleepy village of Southw
Published July 5th 2018 by Victoria L. James

To ask other readers questions about A Girl Like Lilac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl Like Lilac

KAS
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Haunted, Heroic, Heartthrob!!!

Wow, folks! My first read by this author and I am pure blown away.

Talk about riveting! Talk about unexpected! Talk about confessions that will have you tearing up!

Seventeen years old, and I was dating a boy I liked a lot, wishing for a boy I loved more.

Let me introduce you to two beautiful souls whose love for each other is fathomless, yet circumstances get in the way time and time again keeping them apart ...

Lilac ... the girl other girls love to hate, but w
Dri ✰
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 2018-favorites
★ 6+++++ stars!!! ★

I don’t know how to explain... how to put into words how much I loved this wonderful book.
How much these lovely and unforgettable characters warmed my heart from start to finish.
What an emotional, incredible and well written story! A must read for sure! This book has become one of my favorites of the year and Toby’s the best book boyfriend ever! ALL THE FEELS!!!

“I wanted to look at the world through her eyes and see the magic that she once told me to go out and hunt down, b
KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MY REVIEW can also be found on my blog:
KITTY KATS CRAZY ABOUT BOOKS

A GIRL LIKE LILAC: Is a full length New Adult Romance by new to me Author Victoria L. James. In this we meet Lilac Clarke & Toby Hunter.

UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F1WTKGJ
USA: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1WTKGJ

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I don't even know where to start with this review. Straight away I was astounded by the feels that started hitting me even as soon as I read the ‘Prologue’ when we’re first introduced to a seven yea
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bests-of-2018
Thank you to Michelle Chen for recommending this book and for agreeing to buddy read it with me!

4,5 “protector” stars

I had never read any book by Victoria L James before. But when Michelle recommended this one to me I was intrigued. One peek at the blurb and one look at the gorgeous cover and I was frantically ordering the paperback!

What can I say pretty covers just lure me out every single time.

When I opened the book to buddy read with Michelle, it was on a scene with a young Lilac holding
Jen
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My heart hurts. Damn, what an emotional journey. Victoria L. James delivered a story that put me through the ringer, but in a good way.

A Girl Like Lilac begins with Lilac and Toby who live next to each other. She’s the girl with the magical smile along with a love for life that Toby is drawn to. Toby doesn’t have it easy, but the moments he shares with Lilac fill his life with color and sunshine.

What starts off as friendship soon turns to young love—the all consuming kind where your feels as t
• Lisa •
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can happily review with absolute certainty that this author writes with beauty and confidence - her words show depth and courage and more than that they show that she was born to create. When I was given the opportunity to have an early copy of this authors latest work I was over the moon and with a cover as beautiful as this one and a blurb to match I was already excited for what was to come.

What did I love?
There was so much to love about this coming of age novel and so much to enjoy. It’s ev
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jan
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku
*** 2.5 Stars ***

I've read this in my short trip back home a few days ago. Gonna do a lazy copy and paste of a chat I had with a friend about it:

An easy read, a bit unrealistic. Lilac was perfect, too perfect and boring. I like flawed characters.The part where Toby's mom was forced to spill her guts out was a massive let down. I don't believe a mother would be that insensitive. She could have done that without the dirty and painful details. He didn't deserved that. No one deserves that! I am all
Robin Hill
I put Lilac on my TBR the minute I saw the beautiful cover. I didn’t even bother reading the blurb. Unfortunately, my TBR is a black hole of books that I don’t pull from often—not with all the new shinys tempting me…

This year, I’m participating in a pretty ambitious reading challenge, and it’s forcing me to delve into the depths of said black hole. I chose A Girl Like Lilac based on its title because I needed a book with a color in the name.

YA (a genre I struggle with) was another category I n
Kiki
Jul 07, 2018 marked it as i-may-or-may-not-read-this
Alex need to read it first!
Saunders
I have always loved Victoria L James's writing. Its flawless and I know when I read one of her books I am going to love it.

A Girl Like Lilac is a New Adult story that takes us on a journey of life, young love, despair. It has twists and turns and heartache for a number of the characters till they find "their magic". I read A Girl Like Lilac in one sitting. I couldn't put it down til I got to the end.

Go into it blind because VLJ has an amazing story to tell.

"The only fairy tale to exist is a fa
L.J. Stock
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Victoria L. James has a gift when it comes to words. It doesn't take many of them to coax you in, but once you start, you're hooked.

A Girl Like Lilac is no exception to this. From the first word to the last I was besotted. As much as this is a story of young love, it's also a story about life, the hard hits, the quiet moments, the stolen moments, and the struggles that we take for granted.

Written beautifully, Lilac and Toby are just one of the highlights of Victoria's writing. They're human, a
Leanne
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
VLJ has done the impossible and left me speechless.
I'm brain dead.
Flabbergasted.
Discombobulated.

This is such an emotional, heartfelt read. It's powerful, angsty, raw. Its written in such a way that you feel like part of the story rather than a person looking in. You feel the pain, you cry the tears, your heart skips the beat.
Young hearts, drawn together like a moth to a flame. But they are so easily burnt if they get too close, so easily broken in their fragile state.

My words won't ever do th
Shelby (Book Lovers Have More Fun)
description

A Girl Like Lilac was everything I knew it would be and MORE. I'm so happy that THIS book was my first Victoria L James read.

AGLL was the kind of YA I wish there were more of. The story was filled with so much REALNESS. From the story to the characters. I can't tell you how much I LOVED Lilac and Toby. Their love was the kind that had me swooning and caused heart palpitations.

A Girl Like Lilac has become one of my FAVORITE books of the YEAR. Even though this was my first book by this author, it
Jan
A girl like Lilac. A beautiful coming of age story and second chance romance that is raw, with tragic moments, heartwarming, bittersweet and written in a way I am beginning to love about this author.

Victoria L James has the words and lays them down with precision. The flow is like being on a boat, setting off on calm waters then you feel every storm and wave that passes until you reach the calm again.

I loved Lilac and Toby's journey. A girl like Lilac is the sort of book you oooh and awe over
cupcakes and bookshelves
A Beautiful, heartfelt story. A rollercoaster ride of emotions and twists, I was drawn in right from the start and was immediately invested in the characters and their struggles. A book full of feels and experiences that any reader can relate to one point or another. This is an absolute must read and I urge you to take a chance on Lilac and Toby's journey together.
4.5 Stars.

*ARC kindly given in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much*
Trish Kitty Taylor  ***UNBOUND BOOK REVIEWS***
Sigghhhh... Oh how I do love the way VLJ writes. I love how she always makes me see the place in which her stories are set so vividly, that I feel I’m looking at the same sky, stars & sunbeams as those described within its pages   I love the way she so beautifully brings life to her characters, making them real, flawed & perfectly imperfect, the kind of people I would want in my life in shape or form. And the angst, oh my word the angst, I adore how she keeps me gripped in the clutches o ...more
Kelly Kemmerly
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book with all my heart!! I felt every emotion possible with moments of laughter, tears, and rage all on one page. A book that will change the way you see through the lens of life.

It is rare that you come across a book that resonates like poetry in your soul. A Girl Like Lilac is one of a kind! Victoria L. James brilliantly tells the story of two kindred spirits, Lilac and Toby, whose relationship defies all things worldly. Lilac is pure, innocent, and loves without boundaries. Toby
Lynn
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prologue, 36 Chapters, plus epilogue.
Release- Jul 5, 2018

36% - "I have a temper when it comes to you," I said looking back down at her.

This authors writing is good. Very good.

I am struggling with the characters/plot. Maybe because the characters are young. I hate a lot of back in fourth between characters. Especially when there really isn't spice to make you feel there is love/chemistry.

Lilac is treated like gold. She is just this innocent girl who doesn't do no wrong. Toby worships the grou
❤️Melanie
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful story or never ending love and devotion. Toby and Lilac are so devoted to one another and the love that grows between them regardless of all of life's obstacles is a beautiful story. Great read.
Camila Matuella
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3,7 ★
Eu realmente fiquei em dúvida entre dar 3 estrelas ou 4 estrelas, mas vendo meus livros que são 3 estrelas, não acho que esse livro se encaixe nessa categoria, ele foi melhor e certamente se encaixa nas 4 estrelas.

Mas Pq eu pensei em dar 3 estrelas? Teve algo no livro que não me preendeu 100%, e o fato do livro ser enorme e parecer que estava a meia hora no mesmo lugar não ajudou, acho que se o livro fosse mais compacto ia ser melhor.

Sobre os personagens. Todos os personagens são memoráve
Karen Mc
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Less worrying, more living.

Have you ever read a book that has moved you so much and means more than you can pen into words? I’m just a girl, crying into her kindle, mourning the end of a story I wanted to feel forever. Victoria L. James wrote such a stunning story of forever love that there are not enough words to express my love for A Girl Like Lilac. I was MESMERIZED—so UNEQUIVOCALLY MOVED—by A Girl Like Lilac., a story I LOVED so much! This tale took my breath. Took my soul. Took my heart
deityreads
Jul 07, 2018 added it
Shelves: rejects
What a waste of a beautiful cover. DNF at 15%. Too teenybopper for my taste. It’s all about the greatness of Lilac 🙄 I only just started but I’m sick of it already. Not for me. 🚫🚫🚫😴
Victoria L. James
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
★✰★✰ Teaser Time! ★✰★✰

COMING SOON - A Girl Like Lilac

A mature YA/NA romance crossover.

“Chris’s friend is a bit of an idiot,” Lilac eventually said.

“Was it a date?”

“I think so.” She nodded.

“Who were you meant to be with?”
She swallowed her first words, and I watched the small lump rise and fall in her throat before she was able to form her answer. “I was meant to be with… Chris.”
The burning started at my toes, and I couldn’t hide the curl of my fingers in the ground, even though I knew she’d fee
Marley Valentine
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This cover will draw you in, but the words will seep into your blood, curl around your heart and be embedded into your soul.

A story like no other, Victoria L. James writes a true depiction of unconditional love. Through an unpredictable plot, James introduces readers to Toby and Lilac; young kids who see the world through different eyes, and see each other with their similar hearts.

Tainted by secrets, hard decisions, and even harder consequences; readers anxiously follow Toby and Lilac as they
Ann Walker
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ALL THE FEELS...... that is what I have experienced whilst reading this book. From the very first chapter I was hooked. This review is going to be hard to write because I do not want to give anything away about this book but I want to gush and tell you all about it. Lilac, I love her because she is unique and I wish growing up that I was more like her in character. Toby, I love him too - every woman should have a Toby in their lives, and when you read the book you will understand what I mean by ...more
Charlie Matthews
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, sweet love story that will stick with me forever. It had all the elements you would want and expect in a love story. Sweet, tough, at times torturing (in the best way possible) and enough steam to tempt any romance lover into reading. It was simply romangst at its finest. Another great instalment from Victoria L. James
Karen Frances
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's not very often I have to take a few moments to reflect on a book I’ve read, but with A Girl Like Lilac that’s what I’ve had to do and if you've read it you'll understand why.

This is a coming of age storyline that is so beautifully written, you forget it’s the work of fiction.

For me, it’s raw and real. Each page filled with so much emotion. A captivating storyline that pulls at your heartstrings. Each twist had me gasping because I never saw it coming.

Everyone should read this story and go i
Lady Living  In Bookland
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Toby Hunter and Lilac Clarke have to be my favourite childhood sweethearts going. The last time I felt so similarly about characters was probably after Mia Sheridan’s ‘Archer Hale’. These two literally grew in front of our eyes. The sense of pride and love I hold for the pair, I can’t begin to comprehend.

Even in a world of pain, of crime and mental health, that sadly both characters know too much about in their young lives, the magic contained within ‘A Girl Like Lilac’ was precious. The author
Kelly 'Perusing Princesses blog'
Lilac and Toby have captured by heart and left me speechless, sated, and deliciously satisfied. Everything about this coming-of-age love story was beautifully told in a way that had you falling for these two kids as life in a small talking town proved challenging.

A love story to conquer all; A Girl Like Lilac is a must read!!! Grab it now!
  • Regular Sex ~ Issue 1 ~ The Commute (The Regular Sex Series)
  • Tick Tock (EOD, #1)
  • What Were You Thinking, Paige Taylor?
  • Dark Salvation (Immortalis, #5)
  • Attic of the Mind
  • Bridge of Hope (Bridge Over the Atlantic, #2)
  • Let Me Love You
  • The Search (The Descendant Vampire, #2)
  • Biting Point (Sex on Wheels #1)
  • Teach Me Sweetly
  • Reviled (The Master and His Soul Seer Pet, #2)
  • Falling Away
  • Cyrus (Swamp Heads #1)
  • Marrying Mr. Write (Mr. Write Trilogy #3)
  • Front Porches and Funerals (Swamp Bottom Novella #1)
  • Packaged Husband (Trophy Husbands, #3)
  • Letters to Lincoln
  • Stacy Vs. SEAL
Victoria's reader group ➤ https://goo.gl/cRh7VM
Facebook ➤ https://goo.gl/38RTYH
Instagram ➤ https://www.instagram.com/victoria_lj...
Website ➤ www.victorialjames.com

New release, A Girl Like Lilac, available 5th July! Victoria L. James is a teenage girl stuck inside a thirty-something-year-old’s body. A Corona and nacho appreciator with a ridiculous obsession for all things Rocky Balboa, she currentl
“Nobody should truly know how to capture free things. It should be a natural connection without rules or rights and wrongs...” 0 likes
“If you keep chasing something more, you'll end up losing what you already have, and you’ll never look at it the same way again.” 0 likes