Start by marking “Trial of Kings (The Godsblood Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
Trial of Kings (The Godsblood Trilogy #2)

Trial of Kings

(The Godsblood Trilogy #2)

Against all odds, Jarek and Acharsis have succeeded in their mission, and now they reap the whirlwind. With countless assassins and guards on their heels, they have but one hope: make common cause with their ancient enemy, the empire of Magan, before Irella can launch her invasion.

Published January 30th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Trial of Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial of Kings

Start your review of Trial of Kings (The Godsblood Trilogy #2)
Benedict Patrick
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to beta read this book. I love the concept behind the Godsblood series, and I also love that Phil didn't rest on the laurels of the world he created in Book 1 - this book expands the Godsblood world, basically creating a whole new playground, possibly to smash it all apart in Book 3.
I felt Book 1 was Jerek's story, whereas Archaesis really gets to shine here.
Very interested to see where this is all going...
Phil Tucker
Jan 22, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Those who are familiar with me know I don't review my own books, but I do use this space as of a kind of a placeholder to let people keep up to date on it's status.

You can mark Trial of Kings as 'to read' here.

1/30/2018

Launch day!

At long last, TRIAL OF KINGS, Book 2 of the Godsblood trilogy is live. This book follows the ongoing adventures of Acharsis and Jarek, two fallen demigods in an ancient land riven by ruin and populated by the surging forces of the dead. Having achieved too great a succ
Kells Next Read
That was one fantastical read. 💕 Everything I’ve grown to love and expect in Phil Tucker’s books. My only complaint is the wait for the third book. What will I do in the meantime 🤔 Mr. Tucker....any suggestions.
Laura Hughes
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know everyone else raves about the Chronicles of the Black Gate, but personally I'm a HUGE fan of Godsblood and think it deserves way more love. The sequel to SPFBO semi-finalist EMPIRE OF THE DEAD, Phil Tucker's TRIAL OF KINGS is packed with compelling characters, fallen gods, lost mythology and necromancy. The Sumerian setting is fresh and original, while the action sequences are breathtakingly tense and will leave your head spinning as though you just shook hands with a dream rhino. Brillia ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
Trial of Kings
By: Phil Tucker
Narrated by: Paul Guyet
This book takes up where the first book left off. This book has plenty of action, adventure, fantasy, and it's sprinkled with humor. Half the crew gets kidnapped and then later once rescued, something that happened after the rescue causes big trouble at the next town! But like everything they do, luck and fast talking gets them into either more trouble or out of trouble. This gets them into a contest and either they win or die! The creatures, p
Kristen
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here, on my blog!

This book begins right where The Empire of the Dead left off. Right in the middle of the action, as it happens. This is both good (because action is awesome) and bad (for me – because it’s been a year since I read Empire and I forgot many of the details of the ending of it). So, I spent the first 3 or 4 chapters of this book frantically digging details of the end of the book previous from my long-term memory. Don’t worry though, ladies and gents, most of it ended
Rosemary Standeven
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another thrilling instalment in the Godsblood Trilogy, that I found almost impossible to put down.
Much of the book progresses at breakneck speed – then short breaks when both the characters, and the reader, get to rest, eat and ponder where to next. Jarek uses these brief time-outs from fighting to try and dissuade Kish’s romantic overtures, with varying success. Acharsis think about how his life with Annara could have been – and where his next beer is coming from. The petulant and ungrateful E
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
This was a decent sequel, but, it didn't quite impress me as the first book did. I was hoping for a more dense story, fraught with power, tension, and godly politics which didn't happen. The focus of the story was pretty one-sided and narrowed down to the journey and besting of odds by the demigods band.

The story starts right after the events of Book 1. Ekillos and his rag-tag band of demigods flee the dead-infested city, and, are now all wanted men. But, there was some good worldbuilding here.
kartik narayanan
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trial of Kings starts where Empire of the Dead left off and takes everything to 11. I got the opportunity to beta read about a month back. Like most books by Phil Tucker, this one sucked me in and spat me out a few hours later.

I love Trial of Kings. Whatever is in the book is gold - fast paced, great character arcs, brilliant world building and memorable dialogues. There are quite a few things that stand out in terms of situation and plot points.

The only nitpick I have is the same as the one I
Niklas Grundstrom
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trial of Kings picks up straight after the events of The Empire of the Dead, with literally no break in the action. It's not long before Acharsis, Jarek and the rest of the group are again going from crisis to crisis with the occasional break in the action for the two main characters to reflect on their lives and the unity of the group, which is all very much the same as in the first book.

Not that this is a problem. Quite the opposite. These books remind me very much of Robert E Howard's works,
Ryan Mueller
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was another brilliant read from one of my favorite fantasy authors. Although this series has a very different feel from his Chronicles of the Black Gate series, it still has the hallmarks of Tucker's writing that make it so fun to read. His characters are flawed people, but you can't help but root for them, as they're usually trying to do the right thing. His action sequences are some of the best I've seen in the fantasy genre.

This book picked up where the first book left off, and there wer
Rob Towell
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid follow up to Empire of the Dead the characters continue to on their journey. This time heading into the desert trying to find aid in the form of the divines of other realms.
Unfortunately while being hunted is hardly a bother. The politics of Magan are not something they are able to maneuver easily.
Mr. Tucker does a good job of maneuvering the fantasy tropes in this book. This book fits solidly in the action fantasy genre and is a fun fast read.
The small amount of political dealing they h
Brett Boughton
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb writing with a good pace

I was truggling to remember the story so far, having read the last novel so long ago. Three chapters in and Phil put me right back into the comfortable reading mode I'm used to. A cracking story, with a nice balance of believable characters.
I can't wait for the next book.
Yvette Bostic
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the new character developments and was surprised by the new twist at the end. I look forward to the next book.
Vaelin
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Excellent 2nd installment to this series. The story in this one pumped along nicely and had a great a travel aspect to it as opposed to being stuck in the one city (despite that fact that the first book needed to be based in 1 location)

Another big tick for Phil Tucker! Keep writing them and I'll keep reading them........and I a sure many other Goodreads folks will agree there :)
Adam
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note: I found two versions of this book on Goodreads with reviews on both links, so I'm posting this review on each page just in case one gets deleted.

---

An exciting follow up to "Empire of the Dead," which took place almost entire within one city, "Trial of Kings" greatly expands the setting as our heroes are on the run from the last book's (quite literal!) cliffhanger ending.

There are some excellent set pieces in this book that help to enrich the world that Tucker had imagined, with architect
Rusty
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-read
The group that we were introduced to in The Empire of the Dead were back, only now they had to escape from their enemies. The strength of this book is in the relationships between characters: the son who never knew his father and is bitter while his father wants to make amends; the young woman who has feelings for a man who is twice her age while he is trying to protect her from future hurt, and so on.

As is often the case in fantasy books, even in the most intense scenes, I wasn't really afraid
Bonnie Dale Keck
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
kindle unlimited, saw he had out #2 so wanted to read #1 first, liked the black chronicles ones better but that's just me

But that hope lies hundreds upon hundreds of miles away, over the Great Chasm, across the eternal
Nate
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened to The Empire of the Dead after winning a free audiobook from Phil on r/fantasy. I’d never listened to an audiobook before but the story was immensely fun. I knew that I would have to read the next installment.

Trial of Kings starts off exactly where things ended with The Empire of the Dead. Our band of Acharsis’ 6 is fleeing Rekkidu in hopes of warning Magan of a looming attack from Irella’s hoard of dead. Will they get there in time and if they do how will they accomplish their miss
Sharkie
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I had a ton of time to read this weekend (though not much light) because of a 42 hour power outage, so blasted through this book at breakneck speed. And I'm so glad I did, because it was great!

I loved seeing more of Acharsis and his ways of dealing with things. Not with pure strength, but with words and plans. Very glad to see this portrayed!

The ending wasn't what I expected, and when it started I wasn't sure what I'd think of it. But then *things* happened and those *things* were grea
Luke
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started this series because I really liked the other series that phil put out "The Chronicles of the Black Gate." I just can't seem to get into this one though. I read the first book and I cant remember what I rated it but I kinda enjoyed it. I wasn't able to get into this one as well as the first. Still a great author and I fully intend to continue reading his novels I just did not enjoy this one. ...more
Joe Dorrian
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great read, a really fast paced novel where the action moves forward with every turn of the page. I felt this was a step forward from the first book, the characters and world were allowed to develop but not at the price of the story.
Adeline
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Ron J
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Well done. I could hardly put the book down. This is a must read. I am looking forward to reading book 3!!
Marcus Pedroza
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Trial of Kings picks right up where Empire of the Dead leaves off. I really like how this story continues uninterrupted. The pace set in first book continues, fast and exciting. The characters continue to develop further, and their complexities really begin to come out as the story unfolds. I found it very interesting how Phil managed to merge two sets of divinities in this story and look forward to seeing how the third installment of the series plays out.
Jeff
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying this series. The characters are all developing and growing. This is excellent. The story comes alive with the telling. Two thumbs up!! ...more
Rachel Storms
Pete
added it
Jan 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Testament of Steel (Instrument of Omens, #1)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
  • Rise of the Ranger (The Echoes Saga, #1)
  • The Seventh Knight (The Kingshield #1)
  • Of Sea and Shadow (The Elder Empire: Sea, #1)
  • Kings of Ash (Ash and Sand, #2)
  • The Claiming of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles Book 7)
  • A Warrior's Penance (The Castes and the OutCastes, #3)
  • The Defiance of Vim (Catalyst Book 4)
  • Kings of Heaven (Ash and Sand, #3)
  • The Sage Knight (The Kingshield, #3)
  • The First Step (A Thousand Li, #1)
  • King's Guard (The Shattering of Kingdoms #2)
  • Empire of Dirt (The Echoes Saga, #2)
  • Of Shadow and Sea (The Elder Empire: Shadow, #1)
  • William Wilde and the Lord of Mourning: An Anchored Worlds novel (The Chronicles of William Wilde Book 5)
  • William Wilde and the Sons of Deceit (The Chronicles of William Wilde #4)
  • The Sorcerer Knight (The Kingshield #2)

Thanks for visiting my page! I'm Phil Tucker, a Brazilian/Brit who currently resides in Asheville, NC, where I resist the siren call of the forests and mountains to sit inside and hammer away on my laptop. I'm about to publish EUPHORIA ONLINE, a LitRPG trilogy that features high octane action, devilish mysteries and all manner of classic D&D foes. Busy times, my friends. He

The Godsblood Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Empire of the Dead (The Godsblood Trilogy #1)
  • The Valley of the Gods (Godsblood #3)