Start by marking “Dirty Little Secrets” as Want to Read:
Dirty Little Secrets

Dirty Little Secrets

Death stalked the Vale.
In every corner, every whisper.
They just didn't know it yet.

Six neighbours, six secrets, six reasons to want Olive Collins dead.

In the exclusive gated community of Withered Vale, people's lives appear as perfect as their beautifully manicured lawns. Money, success, privilege - the residents have it all. Life is good.

There's just one problem.

Olive Col
Expected publication: February 7th 2019 by Quercus

Paromjit
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is Jo Spain's latest standalone psychological thriller set in a privileged and wealthy gated community development on the outskirts of a village in Wicklow in Ireland. The police descend on this tiny neighbourhood after the body of Olive Collins, a retired woman in her mid-fifties, is discovered in a liquified state after lying undiscovered in her home for three months. 53 year old DI Frank Brazil is looking forward to retirement, tired after all he has seen, but he is dismayed when evidenc ...more
Carolyn
My first novel by Jo Spain and what a treat! Compulsively readable - I was up late trying to finish it.

The main character, Olive is dead. Not newly dead but twelve weeks dead, recently discovered mouldering in her armchair. What sort of community doesn't notice a neighbour missing for twelve weeks?

Middle aged and a spinster, Olive lived in an exclusive gated community - one where everyone should have been close. When the land around her isolated house in rural Ireland was bought up and six othe
Louise Wilson
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Six neighbours, six secrets, six reasons to want Olive Collins dead. She had died three months ago, but no one in the gated community even noticed that she was missing. There is only seven houses in the gated community of Withered Vale. Olives house is smaller but she is right in the middle of them all. Olive used to own the only house there. Olive liked to find out other people's secrets. It's fair to say, not many of her neighbours will miss Olive. Detective Clive Frank Brazil and his partner ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: The police men and women hovering around my body right now don't know anything of my story yet. They don't know anything at all, really. They’ve spent the last twenty-four hours trying to rid the house of flies and maggots and pests they know are here but can't see - the mice and the rats. The knawing at my fingers and toes speak to their existence. It's amazing there's anything left of me.

It's the heat, you see. After an unusually cold spring and early summer, I was doing okay, sittin
Susan
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vine
I haven’t read any Jo Spain novels before, but I am delighted I have discovered her books. This mystery is set in a gated community of luxurious homes. However, despite all the wealth, and security, one of those living there – Olive Collins – is found dead in her cottage; her body undiscovered for three months. Detective Frank Brazil and his partner, Detective Emma Child, are sent to investigate and it soon seems that Olive’s death was suspicious.

As the detectives begin to question the resident
Liz Barnsley
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh I ADORED this, I read it in one huge gulp of a sitting, devouring each new reveal then stopping briefly now and then to peer out of the window at my neighbours houses because after this gawd knows what’s going on over there…
Anyway, Dirty Little Secrets is a fully character driven psychological thriller which basically takes apart one exclusive, gated community that isn’t really a community at all until the death of Olive makes them start to realise that keeping to themselves isn’t nec
ABCme
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thank you Netgalley and Quercus for the ARC.

Bam! and we're off! This book starts with the most imaginative prologue I've read in a long time.
Unfortunately it's mainly downhill after that.
We're stuck in a small wealthy gated community in the Irish countryside. When one of the residents is found dead in her home, the other six pretty soon become suspects in the mystery. Is she murdered or was it truly an accident?
The chapters jump from one house to the next and all of the residents appear to har
Mandy White
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come
Roman Clodia
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my favourite kind of brain-off reading since Spain keeps things on the realistic - if exaggerated - side: there are no psychopaths with Oscar-worthy acting skills, for example, as in so many domestic noir-style thrillers. Instead, this is like Desperate Housewives in Ireland as we infiltrate a tiny group of families living in a gated community. When Olive is found dead, secrets are uncovered and cracks appear in relationships. We hear from the dead Olive as well as having sections focali ...more
Trish at Between My Lines
Originally posted on Between My Lines

Want to know why I was so excited to read Dirty Little Secrets by Jo Spain? Well it’s because I have come to depend on this author to deliver an exciting thriller, that will have flying through the pages, to discover well hidden secrets. And once again she hit the bullseye for me.

My Thoughts on Dirty Little Secrets by Jo Spain:

I absolutely devoured this deliciously dark, gossipy insight in to a closed gate community. When one neighbour turns up dead, it seems
Anni
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the grand old tradition of Golden Age murder mysteries we are presented with a group of suspects living in close proximity to each other who all have a motive and opportunity to do the dastardly deed. Neighbourliness is in short supply in the gated community as the police investigate a resident’s death. If you can get past the gruesome details of the body’s discovery without fainting with horror, an intriguing narrative lies in wait for you to do your own detective work, as nasty surprises su ...more
Trish at Between My Lines
I absolutely devoured this deliciously dark, gossipy insight in to a closed gate community. When one neighbour is found dead, it seems there is a lot going on behind closed doors in every other house.

Between the rocket fast pace, the intriguing characters and their disastrous lives, I couldn’t put it down. I loved discovering what each family was hiding, and then watching them finally come together as a real community.

If you like a dark plot, a mystery screaming to be solved and complex family d
Kate
This is such a gripping read! And it is indeed packed full of Dirty Little Secrets. We're introduced to a whole host of fascinating characters, whether they're the residents of Withered Vale (what a fantastic name) or the police investigating them, and their stories are deeply involving. As for Olive.... Review to follow closer to publication on For Winter Nights.
Meggy
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I received a copy of Dirty Little Secrets from Quercus Books through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the team, and the author!

Six reasons why you should read Dirty Little Secrets!

Neighbours! One of life’s biggest mystery! How does fate decide who is going to live next to us? When I was living in the countryside, horses and birds were my closest neighbours and I found them quite annoying with the smell and the chirping. Now I live in an apartment and I want to kill th
Jo
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Oh my! When you pick up a book by Jo Spain you just know that you're in for a treat and Dirty Little Secrets is no exception. This psychological thriller kept me riveted from the opening pages with its disturbing, dark and sinister  goings on.

Olive has been dead in her home for three months. That's the shocking truth at the heart of this story. In a gated community, where the neighbours all know each other, this is completely shocking. How was her death unnoticed for so long? This sets the tone
Noeleen
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just finished the 4th book in the Jo Spain Tom Reynolds series last week, which I loved, probably my favourite in the series so far. So I just had to jump to read this latest offering from Jo Spain, the new standalone, Dirty Little Secrets.

I absolutely loved it. Couldn't put it down. Set in the exclusive gated community of Withered Vale, Olive Collins is found dead in her house. We are introduced to a number of characters, all neighbours and all with their various secrets that they don't want
Amy Lloyd
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. Once I started reading I couldn’t stop! Very dry humour, lots of astute social commentary, cosy and claustrophobic. Definitely one of the best thrillers I’ve read this year!
Anni
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Reviewed on a duplicate entry)
Thebooktrail
Set in County Wicklow (that's about the extent of the locations so no BookTrail here) this is a creepy, claustrophic and very well written thriller about the secrets close to home. So close, they're sometimes right in that front room with you.

Each chapter is narrated from the point of view of a neighbour of Olive, the rather strange woman who is found dead at the beginning of the novel in very strange circumstances. How did she die and why? That comes at the end and I did say ha! when I found ou
Kat
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well what can I say about this book other than it is an absolutely exceptional, compulsive, amazing read that I can’t fault and it’s going to be a big very well deserved hit in 2019 I am sure.
It's a superb piece of writing at its very best and as you find yourself slowly being drip fed little pieces of information about the excellently portrayed cast of characters making you suspect just about everyone of them of something and what a disturbed, dysfunctional lot they certainly are !! Well I got
gem
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
The setting of a gated community gave it a claustrophobic feeling in which the tension rose when each persons secrets began to be revealed and their possible motive for killing Olive came to light.
The focus on a particular person or family meant we got to know the neighbours really well and it was cleverly written so that any of them would have been a plausible candidate to be the killer.
The title is perfect for this story as each and every one of them did indeed h
4cats
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Firstly I would probably give this 4 and a half stars, why not 5? I had an idea where the novel was going to end up and was right.

I must admit when I first started this I was worried as it didn't hook me as quickly as Jo Spain's The Confession. However by page 40 or so I was hooked. When a woman is found dead the police susupect her neighbours. The narrative works through chapters devoted to the neighbours and the dead woman. It is cleverly constructed and is really easy to read. I didn't like
River Scott Tyler
behind the big security gates and the big beautiful houses you will come across a much smaller home set right in the middle perfect for a Nosey Neighbour!!

Six neighbours, six shocking secrets and six deadly reasons to want Olive Collins Dead!

in the gated community of Withered Vale people's lives seem to be picture perfect they have it all Money, success they lead the kind of life most people dream of but there is just one big problem that is ruining it for everyone & that is Olive Collins!

bu
Kat
Sara
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed The Confession and was delighted to get the opportunity to read Dirty Little Secrets by Jo Spain. This was another excellent read that had me gripped from start to finish. Someone is found dead (3 months later) in a gated community and it seems that each neighbour has their own secrets and motives. Whodunit? Great character development with the story jumping between several characters POV. Well done again Jo Spain!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers Quercus Books for a copy o
BookwormCatLady
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Jo Spain and I will be going to amazon to buy more straight away!

Full of secrets, twists and turns. I sat down this morning thinking I’ll just read the first few chapters and before I knew it I had finished it!

I will definitely be recommending this book, and author, to everyone.

Thanks to Quercus books for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I will add amazon review on publication date
Olga
Shelves: 2018
This is the second book by Jo Spain that I read and I'll be buying her next one without even reading the blurb. Somebody called Dirty Little Secrets 'The Irish Desperate Housewives' and it perfectly sums it up. It's well-written, intriguing, bursting with tension and suspense and impossible to put down.
Many thanks to Netgalley and Quercus publishers for the ARC.
Emily
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to this book, I am now wondering what all my neighbours' secrets are. Spain conjures up a brilliant setting for this murder mystery, with a fantastically imagined cast of characters.

David Prestidge
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jo Spain’s latest stand-alone crime novel begins with a death which is as sudden as it is violent. The victim of this savagery is only a bluebottle fly, slain by a passing bird, but the important part is where the fly has been before it became a Blackbird’s breakfast. Like countless thousands of its fellow Calliphora Vomitoria it has been innocently feasting and laying its eggs on a corpse. A very human corpse. The mortal remains (and not much does) of Olive Collins has been gently liquifying in ...more
Diana Iozzia
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Dirty Little Secrets”
Written by Jo Spain
Review written by Diana Iozzia

“Dirty Little Secrets” was a majestic thriller and mystery. We begin the book to understand that there are seven houses on a small street in Ireland. In one of the houses, a neighbor, Olive Collins, has been dead for three months. How has this occurred? Why have her neighbors not looked in on her, checked up on her? Who could have done this?

We meet Olive, telling her story in an after-death perspective, as she explains to t
« previous 1 3 next »
Jo Spain is the author of the Inspector Tom Reynolds series. Her first book, top ten bestseller With Our Blessing, was a finalist in the 2015 Richard and Judy Search for a Bestseller. The Confession her first standalone thriller, was a number one bestseller and translated all over the world.
Jo is a graduate of Trinity College Dublin, a former political advisor in the Irish parliament and former v