Start by marking “Obamanomics: How Bottom-Up Economic Prosperity Will Replace Trickle-Down Economics” as Want to Read:

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Bestselling author John R. Talbott, who predicted the housing and mortgage crisis, pictures in Obamanomics--written well in advance of the historic 2008 elections--a Barack Obama presidency based on justice and cooperation—principles that have not held sway in Washington, DC, for quite some time. Talbott's powerful grasp of finance allows him to connect the issue of financ ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Seven Stories Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Obamanomics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obamanomics

Jbryon
Sep 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Good policies but appreciated the excerpt in the NY Times magazine more than the book. The goal for this Nov. should be to pass on the abridged version published in the magazine to as many undecided voters as possible. The book itself is concise but it won't be read by as many voters as are necessary.
Aug 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
Way too fluffy, not enough information.
Massimiliano Mauriello
Jan 26, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction, politics
Today, on the occasion of the release of the italian edition of the book by John R. Talbott "Obamanomics" published in Italy by "Università Bocconi Editore", has been held a Round Table at ISPI, where took part Boris Biancheri from ISPI, Tito Boeri from Bocconi University, Alberto Martinelli from Milan State University, Fabio Ranchetti from Pisa University and Corriere della Sera and John R. Talbott himself in a teleconference communication.

Talbott, bestselling author, is considered as one of th
Amanda
Oct 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
I didn't get very far into this book, and I just couldn't finish it. The writing wasn't very good and I don't think I was the best audience. I didn't need to be convinced of how or why Obama's economic policy would work. I would rather read his website than waste my time with all the extra fluff that Talbott wrote. Sorry, but it was a bit disappointing.
Bonny
Aug 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Obama has seriously thought about the difficult issues that we all face. He has a good plan but it will be hard to accomplish. But he is ready to face the issues! It is not more of the same morass. We all have a lot a work ahead of us.
Grace
Apr 22, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a concise and informative overview of the President's policies on all major issues concerning America today: the current financial crisis and recession, education, health care, global warming, social security, etc. Author and former investment banker John R. Talbot uses his background in banking, his insight on America's financial situation (he predicted the current financial crisis back in 2002 and no one believed him), and his belief that Barack Obama is onto something in his methods a ...more
Ryan
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
John Talbott was one of the voices warning that was is not happening to the economy would indeed happen. He brings his expertise to the policies of Barack Obama. I think he does himself a bit too much of a favor putting Obama's name so prominently in his title. But, he does do a good job of showing both what is the substance of Obama's economic policies and what he personally believes should be done. He even has the courage to make the important point that most people are afraid to make:

Reagan/B
Yasmin
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
An easy and beautiful read. I could not put this book down. Yes, it is high time for bottom-up Economics to replace trickle-down Economics to be able to get back on the track of prosperity. The excerpts from Obama's speeches make the book more interesting. This is one book that addresses issues of globalization, global warming, poverty, etc comprehensively and with clarity. He does not only outline Obama's solutions to address these problems but he also gives his own perspective of these solutio ...more
Sandy
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who want to understand the current financial crisis; how we got into it
Recommended to Sandy by: Picked up at Barnes & Noble
Shelves: 2008
Easy read on bottom-up economics vs. trickle-down, with some insight on Obama's economic thoughts and intentions. It's not written by or for Obama but rather based on his stance on the issues. Basically, what Talbott, a former investment banker at Goldman-Sachs, believes will happen if we follow Obama's beliefs.

Talbott predicted the housing crisis and even wrote a book on it before it happened (The Coming Crash in the Housing Market). He writes for the average American; not a lot of financial v
Mandy
Mar 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
A fairly objective overview of Obama's economic ideologies and proposed policies. It's a general analysis, but has a decent breakdown of the major issues. I feel much more informed about what Obama's intentions are for the economy. My only issue was that in the last few chapters the author seemed to lose a lot of his objective edge; it got a little too mushy for me (as if it was turning into a pro-Obama rally instead of an analysis). Still worth the read, however.
Damian
Jan 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: skimmed
This book is mainly a campaign restatement, which is somewhat interesting, but given how fluffy campaigns are, and how much doesn't actually pass once a president is in office, I am not sure of the point of reading this book. The policies are also not bottom-up. Bottom-up is encouraging individuals to flourish and work, whereas many of these policies are government-led.
Neu
Nov 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Interesting, provided some insights into Obama's political past. But it was hard for me to tell what was the author's opinion on policy, Obama's opinion and what the author wishes/hopes is Obama's opinion. But interesting nonetheless.
Candice
This is a great book for anyone unsure if Obama is ready to face America's economic challenge. The author sometimes takes the opportunity to get on his own soapbox; but for the most part it is an educational read.
Lorie
Nov 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
like the parallel between bobby kennedy and barack obama. interesting. do not agree with every premise, and obama is no messiah, but talbott does do a good job of summarizing the president's ideals. let's see if he can actually practice what he preaches. it takes more than hope to lead.
John
Sep 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Only half of what Talbot says might be attributable to Obama's thoughts. Talbot interjects his own design and desire in the text which subtracts from its intrinsic value as a representation of Obama's platform. Much has changed since....
Kristina Klausser
This book doesn't cover anything new but is an interesting recap of what President Obama can (and should) do to fix some of the fundamental flaws in our economy.
Elisabeth
May 20, 2009 added it
Shelves: frogged
I really want to like this book. I want to agree with it philosophically. But the problem is it's so poorly written and in such dire need of editing, i just can't get through it!
Claire S
Read about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/boo..., looks really interesting!
Leila
Sep 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: political
Good info on Obama's past positions on certain issues, but it didn't quite fulfill its title to show what policies & how they will replace the current state of the economy.
Vicki
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This helped me understand a little more clearly what Obama is trying to do to help us out of this economic crisis.
Angie
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down. This is the first book I've read in a while that I want to pick up and read all over again.
Belena
Feb 18, 2009
Matt Schendstok
Feb 01, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
John Talbott is an economic consultant who has authored academic papers on economic growth and development and made presentations on the subject to the governments of Russia, Jordan, and Qatar. A visiting scholar at the Anderson School at UCLA, Talbott is also a former vice president in the investment banking division of Goldman, Sachs, and Company.

More about John R. Talbott...