Start by marking “I am Dreaming of... Animals of the Native Northwest” as Want to Read:
I am Dreaming of... Animals of the Native Northwest

I am Dreaming of... Animals of the Native Northwest

The First Nations oral traditions of telling stories and singing lullabies to our babies and children have been passed on from generation to generation.

I am Dreaming of Animals of the Native Northwest shares shares rich, cultural art pictures and the poetic cadence will bring a calmness to every child's heart.

Melaney Gleeson-Lyall (Point) is a Musqueam, Coast Salish artis
Board book
Published 2017 by Native Northwest

Be the first to ask a question about I am Dreaming of... Animals of the Native Northwest

Gina
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the way the artwork was incorporated, especially with the racoon. It does take on kind of a dreamlike quality.
Kara Pushay
I liked this book but I think some things could be changed to fit the story line better. The illustrations were bright and beautiful but not the right color scheme for a bedtime book. I think this book is a very touching piece for children and can calm them, especially before bed. I think the art over powers the story. The art is what grabs your attention, truthfully. Every time I look at the pages I see something else that catches my eye and has me in shock. I want to read this to my younger co ...more
Andrea Riffle
The art was definitely the main focus of the story! It was bright and beautiful and aided the reader in understanding and exploring the story. I feel as though the art also sparks an interest in the reader to explore Native American culture and art. However, I think the author could've used a different set of text to help describe the story and aid the artwork. I really enjoyed the artwork and feel as though this would be a good text to read to a child before bed. They wold definitely be calmer ...more
Samantha Garcia
The illistrations are simply stunning! The colors used, and the creativity used makes this book magical and appealing for all readers. Depicted are animals of the Native Northwest. Children can learn about these animals, and it also teaches them to explore and see new things in the world. The poetic and catchy words engage the reader, while the illistrations keep you wanting more. This book is meant to be a bedtime story, and I can see that through the illistrations of the animals sleeping and t ...more
Sophia Lawrence
This book hit very close to home for me as it talks about Native northwest taking place in Vancouver, Canada. Over 10 Northwest Coast Indigenous Artists have come together to write this book and I think the collaboration is beautiful in the creation of the artwork of this book. “I am Dreaming of…” is a beautiful bedtime story that rhymes. Dream your way through the forest as you run into animals of the Pacific Northwest and the tales that go with them. It is very early-learning as much of it rhy ...more
Ashley Bartholomew
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this book is age appropriate for kindergarten or first graders. It is a simple book telling about the animals in the Native Northwest and what they might be doing. The illustrations are very well done. I could use this book to introduce an animal unit. Something that may be beneficial is that there seem to be native patterns on the animals, this could allow students to become a little bit more familiar with them.
Mikayla Flood
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, picture-book
This book is reading appropriate for primary aged children. (age 5/6)
This book is full of animals in the Native Northwest and the most colorful well illustrated pictures that will capture any reader's attention no matter their age.
COMMENTS:
This book is helpful in teaching students to see the world in a whole new way and to explore. Also that different cultures and places in the world are so beautiful.
Madison Hurlbut
This is a catchy story with a poetic tune to it. It is about being grateful and noticing what's around you. This story is about being grateful for all living things and reconnecting with your loved ones. It is best for a bedtime story, but it holds a much deeper meaning as well. I think this book is good for students because it is an important lesson for kids.
Maria Hatzialexiou
The illustrations are absolutely the main focus of this story! They are beautiful, bright, and colorful! I know they definitely caught my eye as I was reading the story! I wanted to make sure I looked at every single detail before I turned to the next page. This is a great book for young readers!
Katje van Loon
Beautiful illustrations and the words are done in a calming cadence to help settle down for bed.
Tryan the Bookwyrm
This lovely board book shares cultural art in bright colours and bold shapes to introduce little ones to the animals of the Pacific Northwest.
Rachel Mrazik
Beautiful illustrations throughout the whole book! It was very peaceful and pretty. The words are done in a calming way. This could help settle down for bedtime too.
Meghan Edwards
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The excellence of this book is in the incredible artwork. The illustrations are simply stunning!
Elizabeth
This book was a Picture Book Honor Book for the 2018 American Indian Library Association's Youth Literature Award.

I love the bright colorful illustrations! Okay, wasn't really focusing on the text (I know, right? who am I?) and forgot it was an "I'm dreaming of..." book until I hit the last page ("I am dreaming of... sleeping under the moonlight"), and I maybe wouldn't have picked such high-energy brightly-colored illustrations for a bedtime book, but this book just makes me so happy.

Edit 5/18/1
Brittany
Mar 17, 2019
Caitlin
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated this book would be a great bedtime story for little ones (0-3). Simple poetic lines describe the culturally rich artwork done by 7 different illustrators. Wonderful representation of the beauty of the native northwest. Could be used as part of a unit on native artwork.
Katelyn Patterson