Start by marking “Object of Desire” as Want to Read:
Object of Desire

Object of Desire

Tom Gray is one of the world's top models–an effortless object of desire.

Self-contained, elusive and always in control, he's accustomed to living life entirely on his own terms.

But when Tom comes under suspicion in the gory death of his employer, his world spirals into chaos.

Someone's framing him. Someone's stalking him.

And as old secrets come to light, Tom finds his adv
Published May 22nd 2018 by Blind Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about Object of Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Object of Desire

Judith
4.25

Dal MacLean,once again,delivers a riveting story-full of mystery,and intrigue that had me second guessing just,about everyone at some point.

Tom Gray is at the top of his game.It might not have been the career he envisaged for himself but he's a highly successful model.His stunning looks have made him an Object of Desire for a lot of people.Disillusioned by his parents relationship he's put all his energy into modelling and walked away from the only relationship he had two years ago with a th
Renée
I love a good story. And as the second book from this author, her storytelling ability is proven once again. I couldn't put this book down. The tale that she weaves, with all of its twists and turns, was so compelling.

Those who read Bitter Legacy will know exactly what I mean.

He felt as if he'd been doing that since he became a model, more or less. Standing by. Letting events and other people carry him along. Not paying attention. Self-absorption had got him here.

Tom Gray is a supermodel.
Idrissa
This book is the author’s second shot at the mystery genre. Her first attempt, Bitter Legacy, had the most ambiguous blurb leading me to delay reading it for months. However, due to her Christie-like delivery of one of the best mysteries I have read this year, I had to automatically buy her second book.

First of all, fuck Tommy and everything he stands for. He is one of the most annoying protagonists ever written. Ever.

After that fuck Pez, fuck Nick, fuck Jena- fuck everybody in this book except
Jan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, mystery
Object of Desire felt extremely unbalanced to me. The mystery was great, in fact it was the only thing that kept me going as the romance failed big time.

I kamikazed in a relationship that happened in the past for a period of 7 months and didn’t end well. Two years later, and here it's where the story starts, they need to face one another again, Tom drowned in guilt for the way he ended it and Will in resentment.

What didn’t work for me was that, romance wise, nothing really happened. It was main
Simone
DNF @32% and no rating

Sorry and it really pains me to say this, but it took me three days to get to 32% and I'm calling it quits...

As much as I loved Bitter Legacy, this one is not able to hold my attention - I'm actually bored - and I'm looking for excuses to get sidetracked. It is probably just my mood and I thought about putting it on hold, but then I skimmed to the end, only to find out that my suspicion who is behind the whole thing was right and now I have even less motivation to get ba
Virginia Books
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt, my-rambles

Huge disappointment.

I’ve been debating between boredom and annoyance since I started. It could be my mood, I’m not denying it, but still... a fail.
The thriller part is the best of the story but even the mystery is clouded by an MC I don’t get, decisions I don’t understand and assumptions coming from nowhere.

I’ve been in the verge of quitting from 20% and there was a moment (83% to be precise) that I was sure I was throwing the towel definitely because come on, Tom, are you kidding!
Christelle
**4.5 stars**

2nd book from Dal McLean : a riveting second-chance romance nicely intertwined with a mystery involving murders and stalking.

Tom, a model becoming famous, sees his world crumbling down : he’s suspected of killing his boss, and has an admirer fast becoming real creepy. To make things even more awkward, he’s involved with his boss’s ex-husband and needs the help of his former boyfriend, Will, now a private investigator.

Tom has to face some disturbing challenges, revelations and reali
Jewel
Dal Maclean has done it again. I read this all day, yesterday, and stayed up way too late last night, too. I did not want to put this book down. I was riveted.

I loved the suspense and the complicated MC's and the second chances trope and the total, honest to goodness -- MIND FUCK of a suspense plot. Like this author's previous book, this one has romance, suspense, at least one MC that isn't entirely likable (or entirely unlikable), a plot that keeps you guessing, and a hard fought HEA.

Tom Gray
Ele
"“A truly successful model is…an object of desire, Tom,”[...]

"You have to create someone that people can’t help but want.”

This book! This book totally owned me from start to finish. When I read Bitter Legacy I knew that Dal Maclean is a new force to be reckoned. Object of Desire established her as an auto-read for me.

I 've come to realise that Maclean's books are not just romance or just mystery. It's the perfect blend. I don't usually go for romantic suspense but here I never felt that the
Lena♥Ribka
If you LOVES Bitter Legacy, the debut novel by Dal Maclean, as much as I do then you can understand what I felt when I started her second book: I was both, excited and VERY nervous. And my expectations were VERY high – I knew what I COULD get, and I WANTED it.

For me EVERYTHING, really EVERYTHING in Bitter Legacy was not simply right but just perfect. Can Dal Maclean do it again?
Yes, no doubts, she can. She knows well how to create an intriguing mystery, how to write an emotional roller coaster t
Sofia
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I'm finished and I'm missing the book.

My second Maclean read confirms that I like her style, her writing, her mix of mystery and love. Setting aside the 'beauty' of her main characters, she does not write the conventional, in that her 'heros' are more flawed and fallible then is what is romancelandia's norm. Being outside the norms she works much more harder to still make the book work and I find her totally successful in this.

She convoluted and turned the mystery, juggling with clues and suspe
Josy
~ 4.5 stars ~

Well, this was a really great book! Like Bitter Legacy, it sucked me in and kept me entertained from beginning to end.

I enjoyed the murder mystery very much and even though all my early guesses turned out to be partly right, I couldn't be sure of any of them until the very end.

The romance was an unconventional one but I loved both MCs - especially totally messed up Tom - and although the ending is 'only' a strong HFN, I have no doubt that both guys are in it for the long haul even t
Ariana
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
*4,5 stars*

I loved Bitter Legacy (and if you haven’t read it I would nudge you – impatiently - to try it!)
As for Object of Desire:

This author can certainly write a proper and gripping whodunnit.
No one is safe. Everybody comes under suspicion. We get a roller coaster of twists and turns.

I had a suspicion early on which proofed to be partly right, but certainly NOwhere near the eventual truth.

So why does this book get mixed reviews?
Certainly not for the masterfully done detective plot.
It is all
Mónica BQ
2.5 stars rounded up

This is a fantastic piece of fiction. Everything about this book is interesting and engaging and well written. This is truly great psychological thriller.

It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a Romance.

There is not a single thing about this book that could be called romantic.

I feel like I could wax poetic both about the things I loved about this book and the things I disliked. But my predominant feeling upon finishing this is how disappointed I was in yet another boo
Kaje Harper
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, mystery
This book blends a complex mystery with a second chances slow burn romance in a complex but ultimately satisfying story. There are a lot of secondary characters, and emotional tensions, and red herrings, as the story winds it way to the conclusion. Tom, the main character, is a smart guy who was studying to become a forensic scientist when he was "discovered" and given the chance to become a top male model. He has a great career and is near the top of his profession, although it doesn't engage h ...more
WhatAStrangeDuck
Okay, if you want to go into this for the m/m Romance (with a capital R) - don't. I adore the author but she is not one to write you some cuddly, wholesome characters. This is her second book and I don't know that she has the ability to (or more likely - wants to) write really likeable characters. Quite frankly, Tom, the narrator, is an ass. There are very few redeeming qualities in him (as far a romance characters go). Sure, he is damaged by his family history but my pity and empathy for him go ...more
Karen Wellsbury
I loved Dal's first book, and was really excited to get an Arc of this one, imagine my disappointment when I started reading it, and thought 'this is really similar to Bitter Legacy'. There is an emotionally distant and beautiful MC and a policey MC plus a mystery which surrounds people involved in the beautiful and distant one's life.

One chapter later, and yes there are similarities, but this is a very different book.

The events unfold over a short span of time, as Tom (distant) and Will (polic
Fabi
Crime mystery is not a genre I usually turn to. But a good author can make any genre, fiction or non-fiction, into a great story.

I did not realize until the very end of the book that this is the same author that wrote Bitter Legacy. I book I read and loved last year.

Dal Maclean is super talented. In Object of Desire she takes us on a twisted, macabre path to find a serial killer.

For those of you looking for the M/M Romance genre, don't worry, this story has plenty of steam and sexy scenes along
Natalie
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best mystery I’ve read in ages

Like I said about book one, I still get a sense of P.D. James from Dal Maclean and that’s high praise. I think it’s something about the introspection and self-analysis although here, the author only gives us Tom’s POV. It’s so impressive that such strong characterizations for everyone develop so completely from only his perspective. Will was pitch perfect as he and Tom navigate between the past and their resurfacing emotions.

The mystery was balanced perfectly with
Alona
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-love-the-uk, m-m
The only bad thing about this book was that it ended.

I want more!!
I hope Dal Maclean is well on her way to *finish* another book, because I’m an impatient fan!

I was a little bit scared to read this one because:

1. The authors first book was so good, that I was afraid she wouldn’t be able to follow her wonderful debut with another amazing one.

I shouldn’t have worry!

2. Going over some reviews, I was a afraid I wouldn’t like Tom, like some of them mentioned, and I’m not big on books with unlikeabl
Chris
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant- I was consumed by this thriller...a stalker, a lunatic, a lover a friend. I seriously thought I’d pegged the troublemaker but I was still thrown for a loop. This was clever and quite masterful. Extremely well done.
No spoilers from me - this needs to be read with an open mind- no bias.
Claire
Brilliant ! I couldn’t put it down.
The plot, the story pace, the characters' development, the romance ... everything was good.

The only negative point was the high number of editing issues in a book that I found rather on the expensive side.
Lily
Wow. She did it again.

D9835F69-B51C-4321-BA2D-B5635A005C84.gif

Since I loved ‘Bitter Legacy’ so much, I had VERY high expectations for this book, and I’m very glad to say that I’m not disappointed at all. This book is a wonderful romantic thriller of the whodunit kind, that kept me at the edge of my seat till the very end, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Even though there are some similarities between ‘Bitter Legacy’ and this book, ‘Object of Desire’ still managed to be unique and surprising. The MCs in both books have somewhat simila
Aeren
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cuando se lanzó Bitter Legacy debo confesar que piqué y lo cogí, sin embargo mi desprecio absoluto por Ben me impidió disfrutar de la novela así que decidí dejar en blanco mi opinión porque no encontré justo marcarme un Willy Toledo que es lo que me pedía en cuerpo. A pesar de eso, era innegable la calidad de lo escrito, así que al ver el segundo decidí ir a por él y no me ha decepcionado.
Me ha parecido con diferencia el mejor libro que llevo en lo que va de año, sobre todo la parte del suspense
Helen
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
♥Sharon♥
I’m a little bummed that I didn’t end up loving this one. It was a liked it but didn’t love it read for me.

And at the moment I’m exhausted so I don’t have much to say. It just didn’t grab my attention like Bitter Legacy did. And quite frankly Tom drove me batty. 🙄 Will was great though. 😊
Lindsay M.
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS.

Dal Maclean is very quickly becoming one of my very favorite authors. This book was everything I wanted and more. Absolutely fantastic characters and plot, and the mystery was on point. I thought I had it figured out at least three times, but I was so wrong. Well played, Dal.

I also need to give a billion stars to John (Tom's cat), and I just want to say how much I love when characters love their pets as much I love mine. As soon as I knew Tom had a cat named John, I was done for.

Th
Kathleen

MAY 2018: In light of how much I liked Maclean’s first book, I’m going to take some time to process why this second one didn’t measure up. Back later.

AUG 2018: I guess this wasn't my cuppa as I completely forgot to come back and write a review. I remember next to nothing about it. Here's my comment at 70%:

"It's frustrating at this point. I can't stand Tom, and his actions and thoughts make me want to punch a wall. And I'm wondering how some of these conclusions are reached. Clear as mu
Lisazj1
Another absolutely brilliant read by Dal Maclean! And this was her "sophomore" story. With some new authors, when the debut novel is so stunning, you worry that their second book just won't be able to measure up to the first. Now that Dal has blown that possibility out of the water, I worry that I won't make it out alive of whatever she writes next. You might laugh at that but bloody hell! I'm not kidding.

This author writes some of the most astonishingly plotted crime thriller I've ever read, an
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Dal Maclean comes from Scotland. Her background is in journalism, and she has an undying passion for history, the more gossipy and scandalous the better. Dal has lived in Asia and worked all over the world, but home is now the UK. She dislikes the Tragic Gay trope, but loves imperfect characters, unreliable narrators and genuine emotional conflict in romantic fiction. As an author, and a reader, s ...more
“He felt lost and alone in that moment, hoping that he wasn’t bleeding out his need for some kindness.” 0 likes
“It felt now as if guilt was his primary emotion.” 0 likes