Start by marking “Mother of Gods (Daughter of Winter #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Mother of Gods (Daughter of Winter #0.5)

Mother of Gods

(Daughter of Winter #0.5)

"I've been alive for less than a year, but it's been nothing but trouble. I was born to be someone I'm not, created by a lonely Goddess in the image of a random man she met at a party. No wonder it didn't work out. What I have to decide now is how I want to spend the last few days of my life."

Published January 10th 2018 by Peryton Press

To ask other readers questions about Mother of Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother of Gods

Start your review of Mother of Gods (Daughter of Winter #0.5)
Coco.V
Aug 29, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on iBooks today (8/29/2018)!

Blurb:

Beira, the Mother of Gods and Queen of Winter, has grown tired and lonely. After millennia of living on her own, she decides it's time to create the perfect lover. But
Jerecho
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
An amazing short story for the beginning of a wonderful story.
Joann
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No spoilers! So all I’m going to say about Mother of Gods is it’s absolutely fantastic!
But then again every book that I’ve read by Skye MacKinnon has been awesome, she is one of my favorite authors! I love her writing style and I love the way she creates her characters and I definitely love how she creates her worlds that they feel so real. Every book I’ve read of hers makes me wish I was able to actually climb into that reality and stay. Which is why I do call her a mad story weaving genius
Jennifer / JG's Reads
A quick and interesting read that tells the story of Wyn's parents and why Wyn was raised on Earth.
Erin
Apparently, I'm the minority when it comes to this book as everyone else is giving it glowing reviews.

I actually started reading this first instead of listening. I did not enjoy it in the written format, it felt like reading a 16 year old's diary because of the voice and POV.

Listening to the audio version (Free via ReaderCoin, I do believe author narrated), it was more enjoyable. The 'telling not showing' aspect still was pronounced, but a little less so.

Interesting concept. Not unenjoyable.
Renée
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well written short prequel to the Daughter of Winter series, and one of my favourite short stories.
Loved the extra original tale added about Beira aka Cailleach Bhéara.
Yasmin
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
this book is very good and I like it very much the bad thing is that is very short and the best part is that everyone thinks that the mother of the gods is very mean and cold but the truth is that she is lonely and have nobody with her all the gods she has made all have a wives and she doesn't have anybody she feels very lonely when she went to the party that Lucifer was having she saw a man that she thought that her creation could be a very good company for her but when she made him as a ...more
CarolKat
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I started this series at the last one, Winter Goddess. I wanted a book for Samhain/Halloween and I became hooked and had to go back to the beginning.

In this prequel we meet Beira, Mother of Gods. She is Queen of Winter and in spite of everyone around her she is lonely. As the book opens Thor is whining about having to go to Lucifer's wedding celebration, an event Beira isn't invited to. Having great incite Thor invites her to go with him.

After berating Lucifer for not inviting her, she glimpses
Elissa Harvey
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Colan

I really enjoyed every aspect of this book. I thought it'd was well developed for a prequel without bring to wordy. We gained just enough insight into the Dynamics of the Winter Realm. I loved the Winter Queen she was Elegance, poise, strength, powerful, and cold all at the same time. I loved the idea of the gods bring "normal" but still powerful. I was so pleased that Colan want submission. That he questioned his identify and despite wanting her didn't succumb to her charm. He gave in
Jessica Lucci
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Mother of Gods: A Winter Princess Prequel" by Skye Mackinon is a novella based on traditional mythological gods and their relationships to each other. Particularly, the god Beira, who is lonely for companionship.

Beira wants not just a companion, but also a soulmate, and perfect lover. She is brazen in her sexual exploits and takes pleasure in the act of sex, as well as watching it. Now, however, she longs for someone who can satiate her as no exploit has managed to. So she creates one.

There is
SJ
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skye-mackinnon
I read this in the breaking the myth anthology

This is a great prequel novella about the Queen of Winter, Beira who is Wyns (from Winter Princess series) mother

Beira changes her attitude throughout the story, she learns a little about love and feelings and her heart. It’s great to read how it all started. The story flows beautifully and it is actually quite emotional, I highly recommend this read
Nicole Thompson
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a prequel to the Winter Princess series ! It sheds light on Wynter's mother that you can't really see in all the other books. Tells the tale of how Wynter came to be! Even though you could read the series without this short I truly recommend reading! There are questions that will be answered! Awesome story building, characters mesh in a way that most authors can't seem to get ! Mackinnon is an awesome story Goddess!
Stanley Hutchings
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this after "Winter Princess" and enjoyed learning about the events leading up to Wynter's birth. It's short but interesting.
Meet Beira, the Winter Queen, Mother of Gods, lonely for a true love. What to do? Create your perfect mate. This is the story of Beira and Colan, a bittersweet tragic romance. It also explains much of what puzzled Wynter, the Winter Princess, as she was growing up. Although it's a prequel, it's actually fine to read before or after "Winter Princess".
Pamela
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This heartbreaking short story was great background information about Wyn's father, Colan. It's unfortunate that he and Beira didn't discover sooner that they were compatible and would have enjoyed sharing each other's lives. Instead, treachery stole Colan's life leaving Beira to mourn and think about what she could have done differently. A melancholy but enlightening tale that should have ended happier!

Casey
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fantastic prequel to Winter Princess!!! I loved learning about Wyn's parents and where she comes from. It answered questions I had about her parents and why things are the way they are!!

Skye did such an amazing job with this story and I can't wait to get back to The rest of Wyn's story!!!!
Michelle Fritz PA
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this novella! It was a wonderful addition to any already addicting series! It was bittersweet in the end and actually made me sad. We saw a huge shift in the determination and willpower of the 2 main characters I love that Ms. MacKinnon actually wrote this.... it gave valuable insight into a character that may not have been a favorite, the Queen ...more
Ashley
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good prequel to the main storyline. We get to understand more of where a certain character comes from and the life that they have led. I enjoyed reading about the world and the gods more in depth! I do wish it was longer, but I enjoyed getting to know more about this setting.

Margaux Espinosa
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Great prelude to this series

This was a great start for this series, showing all the love that Wynter's parents had for one another amidst the the denial they both had and the war they were stuck in the middle of. I thought it was the perfect was to understand the queen and what happened.
petals_sunwards
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh!
It felt like reading a PWP story with a dash of angst and yearning.
Perhaps it is influenced because I have not read accompanying series and read this one as standalone short story.
It doesn't really encourage me to read next installment.

An extra star for character development of goddess' lover.
Kristen
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beira. Mother of Gods

This tale starts with one of the Celtic creationmythsof Biera mother of Gods.
Beira fierce and deadly as she's beautiful but never courted as she's feared.

Her cold countenance hides her loneliness.

Love awaits her but at a very high cost.

This was beautifully written and bittersweet.
Tanya
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
she was lonely so she want to create a lover. he is only a year old but he had been created to be the lover of a god but he doesn't feel it at all. she feels as if she has failed but she will keep trying to get him to leave her and be hers. see if she can

Tarissa
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fantasy
This is the story of the parents of Wynter (from the Daughter of Wynter series). Beira is the mother of the Gods and is lonely. She creates Colan, but he has a little bit more free will than she was expecting. I like that Colan pushes Beira out of her comfort zone. This is a beautiful but bittersweet story.
Ann Holden
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is short even for a prequel. Like most of her books, this is the only thing I didn’t like about it. Ms. MacKinnon is a skilled storyteller and doesn’t disappoint with this one.
I received a free copy of this book and I am voluntarily leaving a review.

Mhari
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reversal upon reversal! What started as just another smutfest grew into some character depth unusual for this length of story, and the ending stopped it from being just another schmaltzfest as well. Props to Skye, I enjoyed it a lot.

PS: Can we have a tiny spin-off involving Emma? Pretty please?
Helen Simpson
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE BOOK HAD A MAGICAL FEEL TO IT AND THEN WE GET TO MEET BEIRA THE GODDESS OF WINTER. SHE COMES ACROSS AS COLD HEARTED AND EVIL BUT I FEEL THIS IS JUST BECAUSE SHE IS LONELY. AN ACTUAL HEARTFELT BOOK THAT REMINDS US WE SHOULDN'T JUDGE A BOOK OR PERSON BY THE COVER. A GOOD PREQUEL TO THE SERIES.
Andi
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. It’s nice to know where Winter came from and now I understand better as to why she had to wait so long to meet her mother. The Winter Princess series is amazing.
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Debbie Eyre
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is a fab but short prequel to the winter princess, fast paced and well written this tells of Wynters parents and yes it does answer some questions if you have read the other books.
Jaime
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading Winter Princess, I can honestly say that I hated the queen's character. This short story presented another side to Beira, the winter queen. I really enjoyed this story and it made for a great, quick read.
Calm Your Pits
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shame on her for thinking she can create someone and force them to love her and shame on him for not giving it a chance. I am glad there was a semi happy ending and they created something great together.
Marie-Pier Deshaies
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I dont know that serie yet but it certainly persuade me to read it! I loved the icy queen and all that world of gods. It is well written, thrilling and sad and funny. Good stuff!

• The Case of the Love Spell (Hillcrest Witch Mysteries #0)
  • Persistence of Frost and Memory
  • Broken Vows (Volkov Bratva, #1)
  • Broken Hope (Volkov Bratva, #2)
  • A Very Merry Witchmas (Main Street Witches, #4)
  • Lost Boy: A prequel short story (Bloody Hearts, #0.5)
  • Necessary Magic (Wolf and Unicorn, #1)
  • When Spell Freezes Over: A Short Story (A Mag and Clara Balefire Mystery Book 5)
  • Death Metal
  • Witch Degrees of Separation (Witch Squad Mystery #3)
  • Blade & Rose (Blade and Rose, #1)
  • Claiming Her Mates (Claiming Her Mates, #1)
  • Claiming Her Mates: Book Two (Claiming Her Mates, #2)
  • Merry Chris Witch
  • Witch Way Down Under (Witch Way Paranormal Cozy Mystery #3)
  • Witch Way to Romance & Ruin
  • Kittyzen's Arrest  (Country Cottage Mysteries #1)
  • Wanted
Skye MacKinnon is a USA Today & International Bestselling Author whose books are filled with strong heroines who don't have to choose.

She embraces her Scottishness with fantastical Scottish settings and a dash of mythology, no matter if she's writing about Celtic gods, cat shifters, or the streets of Edinburgh.

When she's not typing away at her favourite cafe, Skye loves dried mango, as much

Daughter of Winter (5 books)
  • Winter Princess (Daughter of Winter, #1)
  • Winter Heiress (Daughter of Winter, #2)
  • Winter Queen (Daughter of Winter, #3)
  • Daughter of Winter Box Set
  • Winter Goddess (Daughter of Winter #4)