Start by marking “The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried” as Want to Read:
The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried

The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried

A good friend will bury your body, a best friend will dig you back up.

Dino doesn’t mind spending time with the dead. His parents own a funeral home, and death is literally the family business. He’s just not used to them talking back. Until Dino’s ex-best friend July dies suddenly—and then comes back to life. Except not exactly. Somehow July is not quite alive, and not quit
Published February 19th 2019 by Simon Pulse

Start your review of The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried
Kai
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, queer
"Love is gradual and sneaky. It grows like weeds between the cracks of a hundred average moments."

I love this title more than the kids that I don't have. And I love this book just as much. It was different than Shaun's other books, but still a typical Hutchinson YA novel. Queer teens, weird and impossible situations as far as the eye can see, impeccable writing. And even though one of the most central themes is death, it's kind of uplifting and really not that depressing.

I really really really l
Larry H
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Dino and July were best friends, absolutely inseparable. Until everything changed, and their friendship ended. For a year, July was dead to Dino, and he focused on his new boyfriend, Rafi, and Rafi's group of friends, although he couldn't help feeling like something was missing. When July died suddenly, Dino was left with unresolved emotions about their friendship and why everything went wrong.

And then the unthinkable happens—July awakens the day before her funeral while at Dino's pare
Dylan
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

I may be a *bit* biased considering Shaun is my favorite author/I'm definitely his #1 fan at this point, but I still would have loved this without those pre existing factors.

Dino is used to being around the dead. His parents run a funeral home, so its a daily occurrence of his life at this point. But what he's not used to, is them coming back to life. When Dino's ex-best friend, July comes back to life after a sudden death, the two must confront what happened to their friendship, and why
Nick
Mar 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
I relate to this tittle to a spiritual level
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
a real gay ally culture is coming back to life so ur gay best friend isn't sad

Blog | Twitter Instagram | Bloglovin | Reads Rainbow
chan ☆
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
i've found that contemporaries really HIT you or they don't. this audiobook on 3x speed is only 2 hours and i am B O R E D
✨    jamieson   ✨
“The president tried to take credit for it, calling it “the greatest miracle in the history of miracles. There’s never been a bigger miracle than this one,” but everyone knows by now that he’s full of shit.”

So if you don't know, Shaun David Hutchinson is one of my favourite authors of all time and I have read everything he's written! I was so excited to dive into this, which released in Feb but I didn't have time to get to yet. I ended up having so much fun reading this! I didn't like it as
sofi
Feb 18, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbt-rep, waiting-for
i know it won't but i hope the synopsis stays "It's about best friends and maybe zombies. There's also lots of queer stuff." because that's Gold™
Meags
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

This played out in my head like an awesome coming-of-age teen movie from the 80s or 90s, which, if you know me, is like the highest praise because I fricken love that kind of shit!

Teenagers July and Dino used to be best friends, until they weren’t. Now, almost a year later, it’s too late to mend fences because poor July is dead. Or is she?

Waking up on a table in Dino’s family’s back yard mortuary, July is pretty adamant that she is still alive. But the clear signs of an already-performed
Bookteafull (Danny)
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gaybies
'Basically the M&Ms of school acquaintances; neither particularly exciting nor objectionable.'

This quote on page 92 perfectly sums up my reading experience.

Other than We Are the Ants, which left me uncontrollably sobbing for two days straight, I haven't really read any other of Shaun David Hutchinson's work. I read, like, four pages of the Andrew Brawley one back in Middle School and for some reason never picked it back up again.

That being said, I somehow had no doubt in my mind t
Amy Imogene Reads
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

This story seems to hit people dramatically, and for me it was a dramatic YES with a side of frustration.

Concept: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★
Morbid humor: ★★★★
Relationships: ★★★ 1/2
Did it preach themes at me: Yeah

The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried is the kind of novel that will appeal to those who don't mind being reminded that we all rot eventually. If you're bothered by that sentence, this is definitely not the review—or the novel—for you.

Dino and July were the best of friends. And
Gemma ♕ antari.and.the.books
Elle (TheBookishActress)
only just read Shaun David Hutchinson's last book and now I'm adding his next book, because I am a classy bitch
Acqua
Do you like to read books about messy friendships featuring major character undeath and a lot of grave-digging? The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried is what you're looking for - and yes, it's exactly as weird as it sounds.

This is a story about two teens who have very different personalities, which both complement each other and clash a lot. It's a story about complex situations and teens trying to cope with them, even as they really don't know what they're doing.

💀 Dino DeLuca is a s
Ben Howard
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ppl looking for poignant reads about topics of death, love and change
I feel like there was a trend a good few years ago with drinks on their covers. While, I never read any of them I always associated their covers with light contemporaries. So when I picked up The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried, I assumed it would be like that, with zombiness sprinkled in.

What I got was so much more, and so much better.

The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried, folloes Dino and his ex-best friend, July after she rises from the dead. We get to see the two
Eloise
Ugh. Shaun David Hutchinson knows how to make me laugh and cry and be entertained.
His stories are always so unique, with this weird tiny scifi element that you really would never expect. And it's always kinda comical, but it's always full of heartfelt moments that shake my heart.
This one is no exception.
The subject spoke to me in a personal level and yet I only cried like... 5 times. Definitely feels like a more upbeat fun book. As SDH said on Twitter, it's about time we read and write about que
Ivy Moore
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review: https://bookpeopleteens.wordpress.com...

ThePastandOtherThings

This is one of my favorite books of 2019, and we’ll see how the year progresses, but it might be favorite of the year already. A morbid study of a friendship stuffed with bright characters, contained within an awesome cover, written by the author most adept at making me cry while also have an existential crisis, The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried is awesomely weird and, if anything, weirdly awesome. Rating: five Slurpees/fiv
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Actual rating: 4.5 Stars!

I will always be the first in line for a new Shaun David Hutchinson novel. However, I was a little late in getting to this one, I will admit. But of course, I absolutely loved it!

Stay tuned for a full review coming soon!
Taylor
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Grief is quiet. Grief is a strangled cry. Tears we hide. A scream in a vacuum where sound doesn’t carry. And though we try to share it, grief is ultimately a burden each of us must carry alone.”

...

After absolutely adoring Shaun David Hutchinson's We Are the Ants, I've been on the hunt for more of his books, and The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried particularly called out to me.

Dino's parents own a funeral home, and expect him to take on the family business one day. Problem is, eve
Amber
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was so fun! 4.5 stars!

As I was reading it I couldn't help thinking about how it is like a guilty pleasure. The storyline is familiar, it's sometimes a bit cheesy, yet overall you can't help but love it.

At times July was super unlikable and you wonder how these two were every really friends, but I can't help but love the banter between the two. Also a goth mom? YES. I loved how the story could make me laugh and yet talk about serious themes like death and acceptance. It was such a well
alana ♡
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, lgbt

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Ever since I read Undead Girl Gang I've been on the hunt for a book that would give me all the similar feels, and this did not let me down. Although I will say that Undead Girl Gang is still my favorite of the two, this gave me exactly all those feelings I was looking for. Dino and Jul
madi
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was pretty weird but very enjoyable
Hollis
This one wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be. Some elements were good, some were way out there, and others didn't do much for me at all. Very unique premise, though, and I think a lot of the workshopping of emotions and processing was well done. I just didn't quite care enough about the characters for it to get me to a place where, well, I cared.

This is only my second read by Hutchinson, and while this is very different from the first book (which I liked quite a bit), I would noneth
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
dnf @ 34% so no rating

nothing wrong with this one i just can't bring myself to finishing it
Silvia
god I love SDH so fucking much
Rusty Grey

Alright so this book was weird . I've read Hutchinson's We Are the Ants and loved it. It was kinda weird too. But this one takes it up a notch.

I was quite surprised about how even after being focusing around death the book didn't get depressing . Dino and July , the two mcs , weren't really too likable but I was still rooting for them . All in all the novel's atmosphere , characters and Hutchinson's prose made this read an interesting one . I'd be looking forward to more of the auth
Max Baker
Thank You Edelweiss for providing me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

I think it's finally happened. I've found a Shaun David Hutchinson book that isn't a full five stars for me, which is a shame because Hutchinson has been a significantly consistent for me since I first read The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley. Maybe it's because this book is so different from his previous ones, but so was Elena Mendoza and I loved that.

The Past and Other Things That Should Stay Buried is about
Eilonwy
3-1/2 stars
Dino’s ex-best friend, July Cooper, died a week ago, and his family’s funeral home is where her body has been sent for preparation and burial. Dino agrees to do July’s makeup for the funeral, even though he has no desire whatsoever to follow the family profession. He also has no idea how he feels about July anymore. Which makes things extra awkward when she sits up and starts talking to him.
This book sounded unusual. And it was definitely that. It’s a “meaty contemporary” YA wrap
Renee Godding
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
Review to come
Jude
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
DNF'ed at 70%

I don't give up on books often. I especially didn't expect to give up on a book with such an awesome sounding premise. Seriously, a boy discovering that his ex best friend has come back from the dead? That sounds straight up my alley.
Sadly, this didn't live up to my (admittedly not very high) expectations.

The problems with this book start with the story. Despite having a very interesting premise, the first half of this book goes by and not a lot happens. They are not curious enough

• The Music of What Happens
  • The Gravity of Us
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Birthday
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Felix Ever After
  • Deposing Nathan
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • The Fascinators
  • Let's Call It a Doomsday
Shaun is a major geek and all about nerdy shenanigans. He is the author of many queer books for young adults. Find out more information at shaundavidhutchinson.com. He currently lives in Seattle and watches way too much Doctor Who.