Start by marking “New Daughters of Africa” as Want to Read:
New Daughters of Africa

New Daughters of Africa

This major new international anthology brings together the work of over 200 women writers of African descent, charts a contemporary literary canon from 1900 and captures their continuing literary contribution as never before.

A magnificent follow-up to Margaret Busby’s original landmark anthology, Daughters of Africa, this new companion volume brings together fresh and vibr
Published March 8th 2019 by Myriad

Start your review of New Daughters of Africa
Kinga
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pub-2019
How do you even review a book like this?

With its over 200 contributors from all over the world, representing every genre of fiction, non-fiction, poetry and plays, it is even possible to sum it up coherently?
Of course not, and trying to would do these authors a disservice, because while united by their ethnicity, their creative expression is a rainbow of ideas.

It featured way too many fantastic pieces for me to even try to list them all, so please excuse this very limited selection I will focus
Mpho
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The kind that screams 'you have to read me' got it the very first time I discovered it . I need an extra star if not more to rate it.

An anthology like no other from powerhouses around the world, a force of unflinching stories beginning with important entries from the 18th and 19th centuries, a reminder that we as the later generation stand tall because of those who have gone before.

loved the way they delivered their essays and letters, Nana Asmau✊🏾, Sarah Parker on her letter to the daily News
Mariama
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think it’s possible to give a fair review to this book. It’s beyond amazing, even 5 starts feels short. The amount of hard working and love put into this pages is unexplainable. My recommendation: get the book and you will understand what I mean.
Ella
This isn't a book to read cover to cover - it's an eternal resource, and it's wonderful. People may wonder why read this one if you read the first? Taken together they are a set. The first was more of an introduction, with many women loads of us will have already known (if only in name) and this one goes wider and deeper. It's an incredible reference with women from all over the world represented. Organized and researched terrifically, the two sit side-by-side on my shelves. If I ever become a G ...more
2TReads
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. This collection of works from all of these amazing, strong and influential women was so powerful and impactful. Letters, essays, poems, short stories, speeches from an inspirational collection of black women spanning generations covering everything from racism, sexualization, slavery and bondage, loss to love, sisterhood, hope, activism, belonging and discovery.

These are stories of experiences and are drenched in rich thought and action leaving the reader feeling as involved
Barnaby Haszard Morris
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The mind-broadening potential of this book (and I assume its predecessor), especially for a white dude like me, makes it an Everest of reading. 200+ writers in all fields chart race, feminism, capitalism, globalism, slavery, literature, education, love and marriage, LGBTQI+ issues, and everything else, from a black female perspective. It's a lesson -- not just in the breadth of human experience in this most oppressed demographic, but in the wealth of great writing this loose transnational group ...more
Devon H
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
1000 pages will be a piece of cake, I thought to myself. It's nothing I haven't done before. This book is unlike anything I've ever read. Busby rounded up over 200 authors who contributed works for this book, ranging from poetry to nonfiction. There are short stories, there are essays, there are small sections of full length books, there are excerpts from plays, there are excerpts from letters and speeches. Some of the works have been published for decades, some were written specifically for thi ...more
Ada
Oct 13, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
***WHY DO I WANT TO READ THIS***
I got sucked in by the title. The weird thing is I sorta realised I'm actually of African descent. Which is undeniable when I look in the mirror or at my family. I have no idea which part of it but still ... So I'm curious how other women see themselves or if they even think about it.

It's probably really obvious I haven't read the blurb. And I don't want to. Let's be surprised
Donubari J Kogbara
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: authors-i-know
Since I am one of the contributors, I am biased. But I love this book and salute the other Daughters of Africa whose wonderful words fill its pages.
Paballo Khasi
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's an exceptional book
Daily
A great introduction to the work of many black women! A must read for anyone who wants to read more African literature
Amanda
Feb 29, 2020
Ms. Arca
Mar 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-it
!!!! This anthology. Birthday wishlist ASAP.
Danielle
Apr 09, 2020
Lydia Opio
Aug 26, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions - "New Daughters of Africa" 3 229 Feb 19, 2019 05:12AM

• Mr. Loverman
  • The Read-It-Yourself Storybook
  • Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos
  • Ghana Must Go
  • The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love
Margaret Busby OBE (Nana Akua Ackon) was born in Ghana, of part-Caribbean parentage, and educated in Britain. On graduating from London University in the 1960s she became the UK’s youngest and first Black woman publisher when she co-founded Allison & Busby Ltd, of which she was Editorial Director for 20 years.

She works as a writer, editor, consultant, reviewer and broadcaster.

She has served as a