Start by marking “A Leader's Legacy” as Want to Read:
A Leader's Legacy

A Leader's Legacy

In this provocative book, leadership experts and authors of the best-selling The Leadership Challenge, Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner take on a unique challenge and explore the question of leadership and legacy. Kouzes and Posner examine in twenty-two chapters the critical questions all leaders must ask themselves in order to leave a lasting impact. These powerful essays are ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Leader's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Leader's Legacy

Start your review of A Leader's Legacy
Jenn "JR"
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: biz-leadership
If you have never read a management book before, this is a perfectly serviceable and book with solid concepts and lines of inquiry. If you've read a bunch of management books, read on. I had to pick up this book for a leadership/management course and wasted a perfectly nice June Sunday reading the entire thing. It's not a terrible book - but it's not "provocative" nor earth-shattering.

In fact, I did find it to be a bit fluffy -- and could write out the "long" version of this in 8 pages, single
David Steele
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Solid leadership principles. Another important offering from Kouzes & Posner.
Marti
Oct 27, 2009 rated it liked it
With this book the authors explore the premise that every leader wants to leave a legacy. They outline critical questions, grouped into four categories - Significance, Relationships, Aspirations, and Courage - that all leaders must ask themselves in order to leave a lasting influence.

Leadership isnt just a position in an organization; rather its the perspective that everyone, regardless of position, can make a difference. Leadership is everybodys business. Leadership is learnable. It does not
Zhi Han
As a 'seminar on CD', this book is well organized. But after reading it I still feel leadership is a myth. I admit that it has a few good points. But indeed what is leadership? Is it the action of leading a group, or simply the action of setting an example? The term leadership and management have been used interchangeably in organizations. Sadly, the advocates of 'leadership is everyone's business' also confuse these concepts from time to time.
Devin Partlow
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is redundant... unless its the first book of its kind you read... then it could be very informative
Aaron Kleinheksel
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was an assigned reading for work.

Leadership books are like self-help books. For the most part, if you've read one, you've read them all. And yet... it is also true that there are entire sections FULL of both leadership and self-help books in any bookstore. Further, I've noticed that the type of people that read these genres don't read just one, but fill their bedside tables and small home bookshelves with them - to no obvious effect in their lives.

Anyway, you know the drill: leaders must be
Richard Angelus
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
What interest me about this book is the word legacy. Either youre a leader or a leader with no formal title or a student of leadership (like me), every leader Ive ever worked and talked with wants to leave a legacy. Thinking about our legacies requires us to move beyond short-term definitions of success. Legacies encompass past, present, and future, and when I pondered about my legacy, Im forced to consider where Ive been, where Im now and where Im going. Im brought face-to-face with questions ...more
Joel Gibbons
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audio version. I'll go back and skim through the book before my next SIM RLF session. This book includes a great collection of thoughts about some really key and sometimes tough topics around leadership.
Colin
Sep 12, 2017 added it
A series of short essays that identify what Kouzes and Posner believe are the qualities of a good leader.
Goes down easy.
Michael Strite
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book on leadership. It was very practical.
Klenam Fiadzoe
I didn't like this book in the beginning but as i progressed i began to see very poignant evidence of leadership even among my peers and myself.
Chris
Jun 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
PIcked this back up yesterday and finished the last half. Each chapter is an essay. Mostly common sense. But for me the entire book was worth this one idea:

If the leader is not able to think/see beyond the end the last project, he's redundant and no better prepared than the others on the team who are managing that project.

Leaders must see beyond the immediate challenges and even beyond last project in the queue.

Someone's gotta be Jacob seeing Canaan even if it's 30 years out . . .

If a leader
P.J. LaRue
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a leadership class I'm taking. I liked that the book dealt with more current issues and leaders than some of the other books we've read.

The book was on target when it said that leaders are in the position to serve. I find myself asking my staff what is impeding them from completing their work. I see myself as responsible for removing those impediments.

The book also indicates that a true leader is effective when he or she understands his or her goals and these goals
Kristin
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: leadership
I picked up this book when preparing a lecture on legacy for our Student Organization Leadership Retreat.

The introduction mentioned that they had been challenged to write a different kind of book. This WAS a departure from their normal style with lots of short (3 page) entries. I found some to be repetitive and some unique. I enjoyed it while I was reading it, but am hard pressed to write this summary without looking at some notes to remember the content.

My Tweet: Leaders: courageous and
Tony Jr.
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
As a leader concerned about my legacy this book's title immediately caught my eye. Judging by some of the reviews I wasn't sure Id like it much but I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful content. This book is organized into 21 essays on different topics, some of my favorites were: Leaders serve and sacrifice, The best leaders are teachers, Leaders should want to be liked, Lead from the inside out, and The legacy you leave is the life you live. Im very happy I didn't pass up this leadership ...more
Stephanie
Oct 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers
"One of the most powerful legacies you can leave is to turn every person...into a teacher. When they become fully engagedin the experience of learning, ... people will realize that within them is unused capactiy and untapped potential."

My boss recommended this book - he ordered one for everyone in the office. I couldn't lovate his favorite quote, which is also powerful , so I opened to a random page and found my own; I love a book where each page has something poignant to offer.

I'll post a
Derrick
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help, audiobook, 2016
I enjoyed this book. It was a very quick listen and easy to listen to. I think the most quotable quote I heard in it was; "People are a like tea bags. You never know how strong they will be until you put them in hot water". I've used it since. I will probably listen to it a second time. A lot of interesting pieces of information. Nothing mind blowing or life altering, things that most good leaders should be aware of at least implicitly.
Arlene Caruso
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Anyone who finds themselves in a leadership role (or aspires to one) should give this little book a read. I found it to be a leadership shot in the arm (a leadership booster shot, if you will) and feel more energized to learn from my failures and to be more human in my work -- bring more of myself into what I do. The audiobook is read by the authors and this really made it more personal to me.
Emily
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a pretty solid book about leadership. While it was nothing revolutionary, it was helpful and made me think a little bit about my own office and my role within that environment. The authors have good suggestions for ways to challenge your thoughts about the concept of leadership. Tons of examples, though many are glossy generalizations.
June
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the Leadership Challenge, especially for its simplicity. This book followed the same simplicity -- a leader's legacy based on significance, relationships, aspirations, and courage. But the aspects are much more difficult to take onboard. Thus I am not so sure I gained a great deal of transformational knowledge, more incremental knowledge.
Kate
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work, non-fiction
I read this book for a leadership training class - it had a lot of good points. I think i marked up a good half of it. There were, of course, parts I didn't really identify with, but overall I felt that it certainly taught me some things. :) It's a quick read.
Anna
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
29. 4/17/09: A Leader's Legacy, by James Kouzes and Barry Posner. I have a weak spot for really well-written books about leadership, even the ones that are firmly planted in the earth of Business Management.
Yolanda
Nov 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Easy read. It makes you think about what it takes to be a good leader. Insightful
Rob Jager
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book on leadership. A must read for beginning and experienced leaders.
Joe Beauchamp
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joe by: Doug Kiel, Ph.D.
Great book...full of good and relevant information about leadership.
James Barr
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on leadership I have read. I recommend it highly.
Kaitlin
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I love Kouzes and Posner, but I'm not sure this book shared anything different than their other books.
Linda
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good look at why we become teachers and how we can make the field better.
Tim Priebe
Jan 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a great read. I agreed with about 95% of what the authors had to say. There were some inspiring stories in there as well.
David
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
First half was excellent with many sections highlighted. Second half was more average. - Still, it is highly recommended reading.

• Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow: A Landmark Study of Great Leaders, Teams, and the Reasons Why We Follow
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World
  • Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions
  • Leading Change
  • The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal
  • Land of Wolves (Walt Longmire, #15)
  • Two Old Women: An Alaskan Legend of Betrayal, Courage and Survival
  • American Cozy: Hygge-Inspired Ways to Create Comfort  Happiness
  • No god but God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
  • The Gift of Failure: How the Best Parents Learn to Let Go So Their Children Can Succeed
  • The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
  • Leadership Passages: The Personal and Professional Transitions That Make or Break a Leader
  • The Explosive Child
  • The Extremely Busy Woman's Guide to Self-Care: Do Less, Achieve More, and Live the Life You Want
  • Leading with Soul: An Uncommon Journey of Spirit