Start by marking “Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine #1)” as Want to Read:
Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine #1)

Griffin and Sabine

(Griffin & Sabine #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  42,119 Ratings  ·  1,166 Reviews
It all started with a mysterious and seemingly innocent postcard, but from that point nothing was to remain the same in the life of Griffin Moss, a quiet, solitary artist living in London. His logical, methodical world was suddenly turned upside down by a strangely exotic woman living on a tropical island thousands of miles away. Who is Sabine? How can she "see" what Griff ...more
Hardcover, 10th anniversary limited ed, 46 pages
Published 2001 by Raincoast Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Griffin and Sabine, please sign up.
Lolo S. There are vague written references to sexuality, and to nudity, and to erotic artwork. Nothing graphic. All of the pictures in the book would be…moreThere are vague written references to sexuality, and to nudity, and to erotic artwork. Nothing graphic. All of the pictures in the book would be appropriate for young children.(less)

Nicholas Sparks
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a novel; in fact, it's a book that can probably be read by most people in less than an hour. It is more of an artistic expression of both love and desire in written form, as explored via a mysterious correspondence, in which the reader can participate.
Ij
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe the illustrations alone are worth ten (10) stars. However, the story is a bit weird.

This is a story told through a series of correspondence. A young woman on an island in the South Pacific starts by sending a postcard to a young man in London. Based on the postcards and letters exchanged both are very talented artists. Sabine sometime gets visions or dreams of the illustrations by Griffin as he works on them. She writes him about things that no one should know except him. They develop
Caroline
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Caroline by: Paula Catao
Shelves: art
A little fictional bon bon for the discerning palate. Just 46 pages long. A small package of strange and delightful images, and a storyline with a mystery.

This was recommended to me by a friend who sends me flying letters - and the book is full of illustrated envelopes and postcards. I can see why she liked it on another level too - her art and the art in the book have the same lovely sense of playfulness. Bantock's work is inspiring, weird, charming......and sometimes a bit gruesome. I am not a
Kelly
Equal parts Romantic (in the Byron on a windswept moor sense), Impressionist and Surrealist, Griffin and Sabine is a memorable experience. I finished this in the wee small hours of the morning, and immediately drifted off to sleep. I highly recommend that all readers choose the same time to move through this piece. I can't imagine a better time to have wrapped myself up in this charming, intriguing, simple yet incredibly layered piece of art.

There are many things that can be analyzed here- from
Jae Robinson
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've read this and all the other books for this series. It's a unique read. Have you ever accidentally received someone else's mail and wondered what it might contain? Or come across a diary and been tempted to read what secrets it held?

This book is a voyeuristic view of a relationship between two people - or is it?

Opening the book you realize soon enough that you have stumbled upon someone's mail - and you can't help but read it. Each consecutive page brings more and more interest, as well as
Jaksen
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Lovely little unusual book, takes about thirty minutes - give or take - to read. I don't know if I'll follow up on the sequels (or other parts of the trilogy,) but it was a nice short break from reading mysteries, thrillers and horror novels.

About the correspondence between two artists, one of whom can see what the other is drawing. There's a developing romance but it happens rather quickly and almost 'between the lines' of the letters and post cards they write to one another. I was not blown a
Margaret
One of the cuter and more interesting picture books I've read lately, Griffin and Sabine imagines reading some one else's letters as exactly that. There are post cards that are photographed on both sides, but the letters are actually in envelopes that the reader has to pull out of envelopes and unfold. This kind of interactive text, thought I can see all the ways it could become a horrible gimmick, is done exactly right in this short book.

Griffin is a visual artist, Sabine the woman from a smal
Abrahamus
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've been acquainted with this fascinating trilogy for years, but never bothered to give it a perusal in its entirety until recently. Its allure is founded upon the exquisiteness of the design, the zen-like coyness of the plot and the slight sense of taboo involved in sifting through someone else's private correspondence. I think that author/illustrator Bantock is, in that regard, one of the leading purveyors of a formula that has proven quite successful in various pop cultural media over the pa ...more
Intisar Khanani
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for the pure pleasure of reading it--you have to pick up a physical copy (check your local library! I'm not even sure there is an e-copy available). At first you're looking at a set of intriguing postcards recording the correspondence of Sabine, who lives on a far-off island but claims to know everything about her correspondent's art, and Griffin, a one-man postcard company. Then the correspondence shifts to letters and you get to open envelopes and pull out letters to read. Oh ...more
Basia
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First epistolary series I ever saw or read. I LOVED these books. They were magical. The envelopes actually have STAMPS on them!!!
Matthew
Growing up I always loved the idea of writing letters to someone and learning something new whether it be their life story, the city they live in or what they might be thinking as I write these letters. What doesn't help is I've seen countless Hallmark films that showcase two lovers from two different centuries writing to each other, the Lake House movie, and Felicity's voice letters to her friend. Unfortunately I live in 21st century where most of my generation do not even know how to write a l ...more
Dave
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dave by: Sarah Beaudoin
Griffin and Sabine is a very non-traditional book. An experiment in artificial "found" literature, the book follows the correspondence of two random people separated by miles and culture who are tied together by an inexplicable link. This book is a window into that connection and their discovery of one another.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the book is it's presentation. While it is a printed book, as much of the "correspondence" is maintained. The letters are contained within envelopes
Aban (Aby)
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In one go, I read all three of the books in this series by Nick Bantock: "Griffin and Sabine" (Book 1), "Sabine's Notebook" (Book 2), and "The Golden Mean" (Book 3). (It doesn't take long.) The books comprise a fictional correspondence between two artists: Griffin (who lives in London, England) and Sabine (who lives in the Sicmon Islands somewhere in the Pacific Ocean). The story falls into the mystery / fantasy genre. One day, Griffin receives a post card from a young woman, Sabine, who claims ...more
Sheryl
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Told through epistolary exchanges between Griffin (a solitary artist in London) and Sabine (a mysterious woman from a tropical island), each correspondence is full of art, creativity and inner sentiments. We get a glimpse into the persona that is Griffin and Sabine.

This was tad bit too short and definitely much too enigmatic not to pick the next one up. Now, I just need to start my search for a copy...
Melissa McShane
I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the mysticism of is-she-or-isn't-she, but this is a beautiful little book. I love the art and I think Bantock does a good job differentiating between Griffin's style and Sabine's. I bought this on a whim--which is to say, I've read it before, but never owned it, and picked it up used for cheap. It's in wonderful condition, with all the letters intact, so I feel like I've won a prize.
Nisah Haron
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nisah by: ninotaziz ninotaziz
Another brilliant book! If you like an epistolary-book, the book is for you. There are postcards to be read and a real letter which can be opened. In the era of e-mails and Facebook, getting myself to read a real letter is a real deal, indeed. Makes me wonder, when was the last time I ever wrote a real letter to someone real.

Can't wait to get it's sequel!
Bettie☯
wowser look at this for fun!

And I don't know who sent it - drop me a line if you are that angel!

dedication: For Kim Kasasian

ETA Overbylass was the gifting angel - thank you very much
:O)
Karen
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
I know there are people who love this book but I finished it thinking that I needed my money back. In my opinion there was so much more that could have been done but it just lacked something.
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
I can't quite articulate what I liked so much about this book. I love letters and mail, stories and stationery, so that probably explains it. What a lovely graphic novel.
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have the 3 books of this series... I'd never heard of them until I received them as a gift. LOVE! (She always gives the best gifts.) Now I see that the story picked up years later with 3 more books. Now I need to get my hands on all of them, re-read these, and read the new ones. You could easily fly through 3 books within a couple of hours or less. But that would be a waste. These books were made to be savored. With every letter you read, you feel like you've come to the end of an episode of L ...more
Cecilia
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
***2015 update, just cos I like this book doesn't mean you get to "pimp" your kickstarter at me! It is like coloring old black/white hollywood films....NO! Do NOT SPAM ME, I'm not your friend! Thanx!

****To the real Readers of reviews, please enjoy...and hope you enjoy this book too!

I don't remember the story. I think Griffin sounded whiny and at some point thought he probably had split personalities and for the entire time he was writing and illustrating stuff with himself. I actually also didn'
Milliebot
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Griffin and Sabine is about the correspondence of two people who share a magical connection through art. Sabine can see what Griffin draws and paints as he creates and eventually finds a way to contact him and share her power.

Despite the low page count, there is quite a story within these beautifully designed pages. Each page is either a postcard, or has an actual envelope attached to the page that you can open and pull out the letter inside. Details like this always excite me and I wish more bo
Jessica
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most remarkable and charming books I've ever read. Through postcards and letters you come to know Griffin, an artist living in a big city, and Sabine, a young woman on a distant island, who have never met in person. But somehow Sabine can see what Griffin's painting, and so she strikes up a correspondence with him. They fall in love, but should they meet? And where?
Hannah Greendale
Click here to watch a video featuring this book on my channel, From Beginning to Bookend.

Nick Bantock entwines mystery and art in this subtly sensual correspondence between two intriguing characters.
Charissa Weaks
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW. I might be in love with this format! Getting to open letters in the book???? YES, please. And it's a super short read with a twist! I need books 2&3 ASAP.
Joanna Marie
Now I am wondering and wanting to have that kind of vision. Fasinating art and letters, an exciting start.
Josiphine/Tessa
I don't understand it, but I think I like this. It has a good aftertaste.

I think.
Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)
Reread March 24, 2013.

Loved this. Perfect nighttime read. Will be posting a new review soon.

----

Original review -- read in 2010. Rating 3/5.

A few years ago I picked up Griffin and Sabine: An Extraordinary Coorespondence because my sister-in-law had gotten it for her birthday. I was so intrigued by the layout of the book that I had to give it a try.

I am so torn with this book. As I was reading it, my husband turned to me and said, "That's a book you're reading?" as I was pulling out letters fr
Dominic
Jan 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
In today's age, we rarely write letters anymore. Emails, texts, tweets and status lines seem to be the way we communicate these days. And while one part of me is fascinated by how technology is bringing people together, the other part can't help but notice the loss of intimacy in the way we communicate. In some ways we are farther apart than we've ever been.

I met my wife at the dawn of the Internet; neither of us had email addresses at the time. Just a few more years later, and our relationship'
Cherie
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
The feeling that I had been duped into picking up this book is what first came into my mind when I pulled it off of the shelf at the library. There was supposed to be lush artwork and a fascinating story. Hmmm.

I looked at a few of the pictures. Lush is not the first descriptive word that comes to mind for me as I look at them. Interesting, colorfull - ok for some of them. Wierd, dull not interesting comprise my feelings for the others. Letters stuck into little envelopes and the front and back
More like Griffin & Sabine? 4 86 Aug 27, 2016 11:01PM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Parallel Universe Pen-pals [s] 5 205 Apr 14, 2015 04:49PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Griffin and Sabine by Nick Bantock 1 10 Jan 26, 2015 06:51PM
L.E.a D.s Book Club: Griffin & Sabine 16 27 Nov 09, 2013 09:43PM
  • The Tattooed Map
  • Amphigorey (Amphigorey, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Harris Burdick: 14 Amazing Authors Tell the Tales
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book
  • The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt
  • The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Family's Century of Art and Loss
  • Paris Out of Hand: A Wayward Guide
  • It Chooses You
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • Art and Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration From The Private Sketchbooks Of Artists, Illustrators And Designers
  • The Bird King and Other Sketches
  • What It Is
  • History of Art
  • M.C. Escher: The Graphic Work
  • Clara and Mr. Tiffany
  • The Principles of Uncertainty
  • PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives (PostSecret)
Nick was schooled in England and has a BA in Fine Art (painting). He has authored 25 books, 11 of which have appeared on the best seller lists, including 3 books on the New York Times top ten at one time. ‘Griffin and Sabine’ stayed on that list for over two years. His works have been translated into 13 languages and over 5 million have been sold worldwide. Once named by the classic SF magazine We ...more

Griffin & Sabine (7 books)
  • Sabine's Notebook (Griffin & Sabine #2)
  • The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine #3)
  • The Gryphon: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Is Rediscovered (Morning Star Trilogy, #1)
  • Alexandria: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Unfolds (Morning Star Trilogy, #2)
  • The Morning Star: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine is Illuminated (Morning Star Trilogy, #3)
  • The Pharos Gate: Griffin & Sabine's Lost Correspondence
“Pain and beauty, our constant bedfellows” 35 likes
“Foolish man. You cannot turn me into a phantom because you are frightened. You do not dismiss a muse at whim. - Sabine Strohem” 18 likes