Start by marking “Wrapped in the Stars” as Want to Read:
Wrapped in the Stars

Wrapped in the Stars

Struggling with guilt over her sister's death and the stress of her medical residency, Maya Radelis runs away to Scotland. A robin seems to lead her to an antique shop, where she finds a century-old engagement ring. But what is the ring’s history? She follows the slim paper trail, wondering if it is only coincidence that her dreams reveal the story of a Swiss woman physici ...more
Published February 19th 2018 by Wild Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about Wrapped in the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrapped in the Stars

Start your review of Wrapped in the Stars
Holly  B
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A delightful and compelling novel about a woman, Maya Radelis, who is a medical student in New York. She is being scrutinized over a patient and feels so overwhelmed that she takes off to Edinburgh. Maybe she is running away from her old life, but she will soon realize that her journey has just begun.  A stroke of serendipity, an antique shop, and a hundred year old diamond engagement ring will set her course.

We will learn about the ring's history through a dual timeline that will take us from p
Jennifer Klepper
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mikalsen's prose, full of rich detail, has an Old World feel that transports the reader to the alleyways of Edinburgh, the bustle of Paris, and the medieval streets of Bern, where two women are separated by a century but are connected by a love story.
Amanda Stauffer
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mikalsen's debut draws you in and takes you on a richly detailed journey, from Edinburgh to Bern, to Paris and New York. A tale of aspirations and familial pressures, of serendipity and the choices we make, WRAPPED IN THE STARS thoughtfully explores how we can take control of our lives.
Randee Green
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.

What immediately stood out to me in WRAPPED IN THE STARS was that it's two romance novels in one. The novel follows two female characters, switching back-and-forth between their perspectives. Maya is a resident at a hospital in New York, but due to an unfortunate circumstance, she has taken a sabbatical from her residency and left the United States. In Scotland, Maya purchases an antique ring. After she has the ring, she begins to have dreams and
Kate Rock
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am still feeling “all the feels” from the wonderful debut novel from Elena Mikalsen. Wrapped in the Stars (I love the name and cover!) gives us a story opulent in history that seemed like it could take place today. It is a dual timeline story, which I always enjoy, you’ll be in present day Scotland and then in WWI Switzerland and other beautiful described cities and countries along the way. You will feel right there in the story and love Rebecca, a strong, historical heroine in this beautifull ...more
Carolyn Walker
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely book! Told in multiple POVs, we follow the paths of two young physicians: Maya in present day and Rebecca in the early 20th century. Both face struggles, must grow into themselves, and learn what matters most to them in life. I love the journey of Maya and how it connects with the story of Rebecca. It is a beautiful tale that blends love, history, and fate all in one. As a historical fiction (which is not my default genre), I enjoyed the beauty of this endearing story! Wrapped ...more
Suanne
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Wrapped in the Stars, with a touch of magical realism and a sprinkle of quantum physics, Elena Mikalsen blends the present with the Belle Epoque past, deftly weaving two points of view into two timeless romances into a can’t-be-put-down novel.
Rachel Pudelek
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an intriguing read. The story is woven together seamlessly as the narration switches back and forth from present time (Maya) to early 1900's (Rebecca). I thoroughly enjoyed the romance and the touch of magic sprinkled throughout.
Sue
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's difficult to believe that this great book is a debut for the author. I can't wait to see what she writes in the future. This is a well written book with beautiful locations, dual time lines, mystery and love sprinkled with just a bit of magic.

In the modern day timeline, Maya is a resident in medical school who has traveled to Europe to try to find her way beyond a tragedy at her hospital. She finds a ring in a small shop in Edinburgh that she feels she must buy and it changes her life. She
Jennifer Fromke
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel is an unexpected romance laced with a little bit of science, and placed in a stunning setting. Dual timelines follow two women with a mysterious connection. I love the magical elements because they swirl the mystery as the tale is spun about two female physicians. Susanna Kearsley’s novels come to mind right away as you read the opening pages.

The contemporary physician, Maya, gets lost one day in Edinburgh, Scotland. This sets in motion a journey to France, Switzerland, and eventually
Christie Sitterly
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wrapped in the Stars by Elena Mikalsen is a novel that wraps the reader in fairy lights and sprinkles of magic. This is one of my favorite books! Maya is in the midst of crisis. She is a medical resident who has taken leave after a tragedy occurred for which she blames herself. She is also dealing with her guilt over her sister’s death many years ago. Maya has traveled to Scotland and finds herself lost. A little bird seems to call to her and as she follows it, she comes across a small shop. A r ...more
Rachel
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for reading stories about independent women and exotic travels. This braided, magical tale set in Europe is about two women doctors who lived a century apart and whose lives are connected by a ring laden with memories. The evocative descriptions of Edinburg, Paris, and Bern give this reader a virtual tour across Europe. I loved the way the characters' journeys echoed each other. Especially moving was the story of the young woman of 1912 whose persistence and courage lead her to beco ...more
Ana
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. Interesting concept and the story was told really well. I liked the characters and enjoyed learning a bit of history along the way too!
Goodlittlewitch
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A dual-woven timeline with a dash of magical realism makes for an ambitious and impressive debut!

Elena Mikalsen's debut is a beautifully crafted, engaging story of love that transcends time, and can be accessed with a little bit of magical realism captured in a ring. The story is written deftly, transitioning comfortably between a story of early 20th Century Bern, Switzerland, and the struggles of a woman studying to be a doctor, and present day Edinburgh, Paris, Bern and New York, all compresse
Linda Zagon
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Review of “Wrapped in the Stars” by Elena Mikalsen

“Wrapped in the Stars” by Elena Mikalsen is a unique, intriguing and captivating novel that I enjoyed. The Genres for this Novel are Fiction, Woman’s Fiction, Magical Realism and a touch of Historical History. Elena Mikalsen has woven a novel connecting two timelines, characters, events and stories. There is a past timeline and a present timeline with different characters, that seem to eventually complete the puzzle. There is also symbolism. T
Susan Peterson
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wrapped In the Stars is a riveting, heartfelt story about great loves, heartache and fate...told with a little bit of magic. Maya is in Edinburgh, running from guilt and blame, when a robin appears, leading her to an antique shop where she is compelled to buy a beautiful moonstone ring. She finds herself so fascinated by the ring and its past that she goes to Paris and then Switzerland, determined to learn more about the woman who wore it before her. In a dual timeline, we meet Rebecca, a young ...more
Kathryn Scarborough
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a charming book! I loved the characters and while reading , I wasn't sure where they were going. This is a great read, I highly recommend.

Kathryn Scarborough, author

The Wild Mountain Thyme

Cyndie Decker
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

This is a very lovely, well-researched historical romance. If you enjoy Susanna Kearsley, you will love this. I can’t wait for Elena’s next book!
Pam
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WWI, star crossed lovers, a magical ring and a young doctor trying to solve the puzzle...so different and beautiful. I loved it.
YZ
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delightful read about the lasting bonds that form between people, be they lovers, sisters, or grandparents/grandchildren. I was especially drawn by the interesting passages detailing the difficulties of being one of the first female doctors.
Donna
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wrapped in the Stars is a debut novel but you wouldn't think that while reading it. Ms. Mikalsen has given us a story rich in history yet so poignantly relevant today. Her characters came to life so easily for me through their words and actions.

The dual timeline takes you from present day Scotland to WWI era Switzerland with a few stops along the way. While the historical story tends to pull me in more, I found both story lines equally intriguing and crossing over beautifully. When I read one,
Natalia Iwanyckyj
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two women living 100 years apart, are the main characters of this dual-POV story. Both are smart and dedicated physicians. Both balance complex lives that include wonderfully interesting familial relationships, supportive friends, important humanitarian work, and romance.

The two stories weave together beautifully, assisted by a magical robin, an old moonstone ring, and synchronicities.

"Ever since I found Rebecca's ring, my life has been nothing but a string of messages from the universe or Fate
Diane
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading this book reminded me of sitting before a fire wrapped in a robe, drinking a glass of wine and eating popcorn. It was easy and sweet. If you like romance, coincidences, travel, and robins--you will like this book.

Maya had been a resident in a hospital in New York when one of her patients died and she was blamed. She ran away and eventually found herself in Edinburgh, where a ring in an antique store called to her. The ring took her to Paris and Bern, where she explored the ring's histor
Nalana
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story. It covers two timelines and is about two different women and their struggles. They are connected by fate and the energy of true love.

When you read a book that has two story lines like this it can be hard not to have a favorite. Although I liked both timelines, I preferred the story of Rebecca and her struggles and romance with Mark.

The author does a great job of keeping the stories connected and there is nothing left unanswered for the reader. You get the closure you need
Lori
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Congratulations to Elena on finishing her first novel! I look forward to her next book.
Rebecca
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 00-own-a-copy, debut
Compelled to purchase an antique ring while visiting Scotland, Maya begins to dream about the ring's owner. Known as the science of parapsychology, "people who study it say that objects and people ... have ... this energy around them. When we meet people or touch objects, we can take or give some of this energy." Desperate to find out more about the rings owner, Maya embarks on a journey to Paris and then Switzerland. Will she find the information she's looking for?

"Ever since I found Rebecca's
Melissa ***BITCH, I'M READING!***
Won this though a Facebook giveaway from Books Scents candles... (check them out if you haven’t... they’re AMAZING!)
Anyhow can’t wait to start and to support a local (TEXAS lol😁) author!
MC Bailey
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was sent a copy of Wrapped in the Stars by the author, Elena Mikalsen for an honest review. All opinions are my own. Rebecca lives in Switzerland in the early 1900s trying to become the first woman to be a doctor all the while facing a male dominated society. Maya, running away from her residency as a doctor in New York, travels to Paris and Switzerland trying to find the owner of a ring she purchased in Scotland. The ring has an energy that transports Maya as she experiences Rebecca’s life in ...more
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed this book, it was a different book from what I am used to reading but I loved the way that the book reflected back on the life of previous owner.

Maya and Rebecca are both really interesting characters. Maya is a very complex lady living in modern times and Rebecca is living during WWI and has her own set of challenges to deal with.

The book really captivated me, it is very well written and it was a pleasure to read, I loved the way the sto
Rea Frey
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you throw in travel, a little bit of mystery, magic, and romance? A delightful read that literally transports you to Europe (and a few of my favorite places) to trace an antique while learning about past and present storylines. Beautifully written. Dynamite plot. Exquisite settings. This book was pure magic from start to finish. Can't wait to see what she writes next.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Love Lettering
  • Because You're Mine
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • This I Know
  • The Sunday Potluck Club (The Sunday Potluck Club, #1)
  • The Summer of New Beginnings (Magnolia Grove #1)
  • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
  • The New Husband
I am a Women's Fiction/Romance author. I write books about smart women in extraordinary circumstances. WRAPPED IN THE STARS was short-listed for the Del Sol First Novel Prize in 2017.

I am somewhat obsessive about travel, but, when I am at home, in San Antonio, I can be found browsing through bookstores or antique shops with my husband and two children.

When not writing stories, I am a Pediatric Psy