Start by marking “Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others” as Want to Read:
Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others

Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  295 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
All too often, simple acts of human kindness are often overlooked and under utilized by people in leadership roles. Advising mutual respect and recognition of accomplishments, Encouraging the Heart shows us how true leaders encourage and motivate those they work with by helping them find their voice and making them feel like heroes. Recognized experts in the field of leade ...more
Published February 6th 2003 by Jossey-Bass (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Encouraging the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encouraging the Heart

Eric Mesa
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this book as part of a manager training seminar I attended. It's not my first management improvement book and it's not my first touchy feel-y self-improvement book. My dad had me read Dyer, Chopra, Tony Robbins, Maxwell Maltz, and Stephen Covey. But this is the first time I've read a touchy feel-y management improvement book since finish my first assignment as a manager.

So it is with a combination of skepticism and belief that I read this book. I've seen some of these principles put
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading "Encouraging the Heart"

According to Kouzes & Posner in “Encouraging the Heart,” when leaders do their best in encouraging the heart they practice the following:
1. Set clear standards
2. Expect the best
3. Pay attention
4. Personalize recognition
5. Tell the story
6. Celebrate together
7. Set the example

This makes perfect sense to me in light of both life and leadership experiences; it is simply the right thing to do. My favorite of the practices is "personalizing recogniti
Terri
May 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
This one came highly recommended from a (really good) speaker at a conference I attended this spring. Unfortunately, this book is as dry as the Sahara. Maybe it's because I've read a bunch of these "be a better manager" books in the last few months, but this one was all the same rhetoric with none of the personality.
Alexandra
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I usually don’t read self help books because I consider them very boring. I made an exception with this one because someone I know had to read it for work and I got curious. It’s a fast read, I finished it in a day.
The subject of the book is about not being a boss, but rather a leader. It highlights the importance of having positive and healthy relationships in order to make the working environment more productive and more energised by leading through example, recognising a job well done and re
Cathy Konopa
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
In Kouzes and Posner's book "The Leadership Challenge," encouraging the heart was one of five exemplary leadership practices. This one is all about motivating and recognizing employees--the heartfelt part of leadership. If you've already read "The Leadership Challenge," you probably don't need to read this one--unless you're not sold on leading with heart or really struggle with it and want to get better. For everyone else, there's Pinterest or a couple of books they reference: "1001 Ways to Ene ...more
Adam
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audible
Good book, but definitely focused on a leader aware of their employees. The leaders that need this book will very likely not read it. It has plenty of lists and clear examples of ways to recognize employees.

Unfortunately, it tends to focus on recognition examples of people that want to be recognized publicly. Would benefit from including examples of how introverts or silent doers can best be encouraged.
Robbie Joerger
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Honestly a lot of this boils down to don't be self centered.
Dave Moyer
There are better leadership books out there, but this does encourage reflection and thought.
Kristine Crane
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for managers and leaders.
Susan
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple but important reminders and how-tos regarding encouragement. Honey, after all, catches the flys.
Jeff
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is not comprehensive, and even though I didn't much care for the presentation, I think that the information presented is valuable.

To answer other reviewers that there is a lot more to leadership than what is presented here, that is obviously true. We need to remember that this is a single volume based on one of five requirements for successful leadership that is presented in a separate volume called "The Leadership Challenge." This book contains the fifth and arguably the least understood c
Neil Coulter

I don't ask much of books on leadership. I read through one occasionally just to keep my mind focused on what I'm supposed to be as a leader. It had been a while since I'd read one, and after a very stressful March and an unfocused April, I decided I needed to refresh myself and get back into the game. Kouzes and Posner's book was a good choice. Like most leadership books, this one is full of stories, with questions for reflection at the end of each chapter and some practical ideas and tips at t

Melissa Mcdonald
Dec 05, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Leadership authorities James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner say employees perform best when their contributions are genuinely appreciated. Unfortunately, the two contend, most executives have not mastered the decidedly soft-management skill of "encouragement" that fosters such behavior. In Encouraging the Heart, they examine how this type of compassionate supervision is becoming a critical part of successful management today, and through example and suggestion they describe how readers can establ ...more
Kristin
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Loved it! Kouzes and Pozner are right. The fifth leadership practice can be tough. In this quick read, they enunciate seven "essentials" of encouraging the heart. Each essential is described using some external research as to its importance. Then examples are given. The book concludes with 150 methods for encouraging the heart. I've currently got popcorn and notecards in my office with a list of 12 other "to dos". Really helpful practical ideas. This is quickly becoming a favorite in my Leadersh ...more
Kendall Nielsen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
An OK book. Kind of a different approach to leadership. Like any book that takes a unique angle as its title the writers, I think, spent too much time and effort defending their thesis. Agree that encouraging the people you lead is important but it is just one of many tools that can and should be put into play to effectively encourage people to success.
Nicole
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: leaders wishing to truly inspire
This book is a really different book on leadership. It's about more than getting people to do things. It's about inspiring those you lead by knowing who they are and recognizing them in ways that THEY want to be recognized. It's about setting a great example for people to follow.
Barbara
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Encouragement boosts performance, strengthens our resolve, and improves our health."

This book gave insights, not just for managers, but for everyone to boost attitudes and connect with others in everyday celebrations.
Mary Lynn
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I had to read this for a Leadership class I was taking. It made some good points and I definitely took away some concrete ideas to implement as a manager. But I'd rather spend my spare time reading fiction.
Alex
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Authors get into more details on one of the Leadership practises they laid out in their seminal Leadership Challenge

The book is full of examples, insights and have very practical model of 7 essentials of encouraging the heart
George
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Read this as quasi mandatory reading for a class. Some great points and some ideas that are completely impractical. If this is a typical you need help with and how in a book store, check it out. Otherwise, a solid "OK."
Carolyn
Nov 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
This was a text book I used during my Master's program in a class called HR of the future and what companies need to do to keep good people. It explains how a leader needs to relate to their employees and just like the title says, "Encourage their hearts".
Luci
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-library
Read this for a leadership class, and found the book engaging and thought-provoking. I took pieces from this and Daniel Pink's "Drive" back to my office and recommended them to other leaders.
Shonna Froebel
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: work-related
Reviewed for library newsletter.
Very interesting
Kelsey
Sometimes, a little extra effort in listening and learning how to encourage others can make an incredible difference. Why simply live day to day when you can make a difference?
Heather
Nov 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
We all need encouragement, yet we desire it in different ways. This book has 150 different ways to encourage those in your life.
Adam
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Great book. Helped me realize that I do not thank people when I do not believe I deserve the praise or the gift. The authors should have kept anything to do with George Bernard Shaw out of book.
Mikkee
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very different take on leadership. It was refreshing to look at encouraging your staff as who they are.
Kari
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
I was required to read this book for work. There were a few good stories in it, but overall it was cheesy.
Angela
Sep 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book provides insight and tools to encourage others to perform their best by authentic motivation (as opposed to incentives). Good Read!
Heather Mores
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good book to read if you want to improve your leadership skills.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader
  • Exploring Leadership: For College Students Who Want to Make a Difference
  • Leading Quietly: An Unorthodox Guide to Doing the Right Thing
  • Leadership Can Be Taught: A Bold Approach for a Complex World
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • Open Leadership
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • Leading Without Power: Finding Hope in Serving Community
  • The Call of Service
  • Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life
  • Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value
  • 1001 Ways to Energize Employees
  • Leading in a Culture of Change
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99