Start by marking “Olympian Challenger” as Want to Read:
Olympian Challenger

Olympian Challenger

(Olympian Challenger #1)

A hero’s tournament. A defiant contender. Does one girl have the courage to take on Mount Olympus?

Hope’s world doesn’t have room for heroes. She barely has time for schoolwork, swim team, and taking care of her ailing mother. But when she’s invited to a mysterious tournament, the all-powerful hosts won’t take no for an answer.

Transported to Mount Olympus, Hope comes fac

Published February 5th 2018 by Astrid Arditi

To ask other readers questions about Olympian Challenger, please sign up.
Meaghan I'm just starting to read this now, but I wanted to say that Percy Jackson doesn't have a claim on Greek Mythology. Just because it derives from the…moreI'm just starting to read this now, but I wanted to say that Percy Jackson doesn't have a claim on Greek Mythology. Just because it derives from the same myths does not mean that author's interpretation of the Gods/myths will be the same!(less)

Roobie
3 stars

I LOVE Greek Mythology so I was pretty excited to read this book.. The premise of the story was something I'd normally really really enjoy.

BUT
what ruined it for me were the characters and the romance. We get one detail about each character and then everything revolves around it. I couldn't like any of them and as for the romance, well, there was zero chemistry there and it was just not believable.

Overall it was fun and I enjoyed the quests and trials and will probably read the next book
Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)
"When he's near, I'm a moth circling a flame--trapped and forgetful of the danger ahead."

description

As a HUGE sucker for anything related to mythology... this was a such a treat to read. It's reminiscent of The Goddess Test trilogy, which I really enjoyed too. Olympian Challenger is a mix of romance, fierce battle scenes, humor and diversity.

It all started with a strange invitation:

You’re cordially invited…
To embark on a singular journey.
If your heart is true,
And your soul heroic,
Dare to face your fears,
An
Nikki Poulos
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF at chapter 5.

Honestly? This book just didn't click with me. It felt as though it was trying to be something it wasn't. Someone else could love this book and be obsessed, it has the potential. I just didn't vibe with it and I'm not going to force myself to read something I don't like.

**I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book via Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
✶Rachelle✶
Apr 25, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: fantasy, ya
DNF @ 35%

**eARC received from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review**

Unfortunately, I was not able to finish this. I could not connect with the characters, and everything seemed overly juvenile and lacked depth. I was sniffing out an insta-love as well, which never bodes well for me.

On the flip side, it made me want to re-read Percy Jackson....so there's that.

_____

Sounds like Percy Jackson, but with a prettier cover......

I'm in.
Mandie
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, arc
Olympian Challenger is a the first book in a trilogy about Hope. I just loved her story. What a magical Greek mythology retelling! I thought it was a powerful, fun story. The cover is absolutely gorgeous. I can not wait to read the next book.
I read and reviewed an advanced copy from the author. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Amanda
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, uno-april
You can also find my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....
Honestly, I was a little weary starting this one out, because I just read The Goddess Test and he sounded very similar. I didn't want to do nothing but compare the two in my mind the whole time I read this one. But the more I heard friends of mine enjoying it, the more I thought that I should give this one a shot. Some of the similarities were possibly impossible to ignore them. Both books are about Greek mythology, both i
Alaina
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I freaking loved this book - LOVED!

I read this in one sitting and I honestly couldn't put the book down. It made my boring day at work 110% better. I loved everything about Hope and watching her grow throughout the book.

Olympian Challenger definitely gave me a Percy Jackson/Hercules kind of vibe. It's pretty much why I feel in love with it. I liked all of the quests and the mysterious invitation. I liked all of the f
Sophie  **2 Greek Girls Reading**
3.5 STARS

"My love doesn't destroy; it heals."

Hope Diaz lives with her mother who is slowly losing her because of dementia. One day she receives a mysterious invitation, like every teenager in NYC. This invitation will throw her into a new world and she will discover many things about her past, her present and her possible future. Hope will get into an adventure and the question is if she will make it through it or if she will lose herself because of it.

When I fell upon this stunning cover on
Lili  Marcus
May 08, 2018 marked it as to-read
Done,

Thank God...
Kayla
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

This book followed hope as she is entered into a competition at Mount Olympus to become the Olympian Champion and be granted a wish.

This book has so many Mythology references that I absolutely loved! If you are like me and love Greek Mytholgy then you will love this book cause it covers almost all gods and heroes.

The characters were very interesting an
Judy
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a fun book! This did remind me of The Hunger Games though. I really loved reading Greek mythology as a child and this story takes place on Mount Olympus. Teens in New York City receive mysterious invitations. Some become able to read the writing on the invitation while others cannot see it at all. Those who can read it are forbidden to disclose what the invitation says. Hope Diaz is one of the few who are transported to Mount Olympus and involved in a challenge of quests for a hero put on b ...more
Luna
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-magic
This book was a struggle to rate. On one hand I really enjoyed the premise of the plot, but the writing was so awful, that it was hard to get into.

First off, the verbiage in the book was try hard and awkward. The author tried to sophisticate her language by throwing in different adjectives and mixing up the sentence structure but it just ended up being read as awkward and poorly executed.
Here are some examples of the weird sentence structure or strange word choice:
“His keys rattled mournfully”
“I
Amy Leigh
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I saw the cover for this and immediately went to read the blurb. I was sold. Greek mythology, young adult, fantasy! All things I love so I dove in. I really enjoyed this book but I there are things I wish had more depth, like some of the other characters. Their backstories seem important but left to the imagination.

Hope takes care of her mom who suffers with failing health from dementia. Hope is slowly and agonizingly losing her mom. She gets and invitation to go to NYC and takes it. T
Monique V
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Kind off boring and predictable.
Isha
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I just want to state the obvious... THIS COVER OMG. Love!

I really loved the story, it was a unique take on the classic Greek Mythology retellings. I felt like there was something slightly off about the pacing of the story. I wish we got to see more of Hope before the Olympus journey started. The first chapter she receives the invitation card, but I wish that that was either the second part of the first chapter or the second chapte
Paula Roussel (She Sniffs Books)
Oh, lord...lord have mercy on me.

DNF'ed at 30%

This book was a disaster...like this!
description

I couldn't help but DNF this...this... thing. I just couldn't go on, unless I wanted to hurl my kindle across the room, thru a window, and down into the road, where it would be run over by a car.

I received this ARC for an honest review, and I'm being VERY honest here.

Hope, the protagonist, lives in New York City, and attends a prestigious school, and is on the swim team. Cha! One morning, she receives a myster
Andrea
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I am not a fan of mythology but this book may have just changed that. The main character Hope, who this book is centered on finds herself in Mt Olympus after trying to save a "drowning" boy. The only way to leave is to compete against other boys and girls who had also found themselves there in order to become a hero or heroine.

The winner of the challenge gets to win a wish from the gods who all make an ap
Meaghan
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
First off, I would like to thank the publisher and author for providing me this ARC to review. Please note that the version I read was an advanced copy, and certain events/language may be changed in the published edition.

Stars (Out of 10): 3/10 Stars

Spoiler Free: Anything that claims to follow/use Greek Mythology always intrigues me. I grew up on Percy Jackson and other Rick Riordan books, so I just have a soft spot for the stuff! Unfortunately, even with that soft spot, I did not enjoy this boo
Chhavi And Singh
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You can find my official review at: https://chhaviandbooks.wordpress.com/...
This book has easily paved it's way into my heart. Spellbinding is the right word for Astrid Arditi’s writing. She has serenely woven a new world of Greek Mythology, and made it a hundred times better. Must pick for dystopia lovers. Throughly enjoyed.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Recommended age group: Teens and Adults

Where I got it from: Netgalley
Olivia Wildenstein
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Get ready for the most epic read of 2018!

This is everything a book should be: magical, fantastic, swoon-worthy, creative, and so so exciting. And the very best part? It's part of a series!
Felicia
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an arc of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

First let me start off by saying this cover is absolutely GORGEOUS! It deserves all the stars in the world!

I am going to start off by saying the first 40% of this book was really hard for me to read. I really liked the concept of this book. It's kind of a mash up between Percy Jackson and Hunger Games. And I loved both of those series. But it was a real struggle to get through the beginning of this book. I was mostly
Karla Kay
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
"If your heart is true, And your soul heroic, Dare to face your fears, And your most precious wish will be granted."

What would you do if you were swept away to Mount Olympus?
What is one wish you would want granted by the Greek Gods?

The creativity of the world the author has built is so beautiful, you can see it in your mind, it almost makes you want to take a permanent vacation, but would you really want to live forever with the Greek Gods?

It took me a bit to get into the story, character and w
Naughty Mom Story Time
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Olympian Challenger was such a riveting read. This was my first experience with this author and I was in awe of her writing and the imagery her words invoked.

Hunger Games meets Percy Jackson, Olympian Challenger follows the story of seventeen-year-old Hope. A kind-hearted and gentle soul, she’s not only a high school student but also caretaker to her ailing mother. After receiving a mysterious invitation in the mail she’s thrust into a competition on Mount Olympus where she knows no one and is
Kelly
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so good ! I can’t wait for the next one in the series.

I loved the mythology in this and the competition. It was really entertaining and fast-paced (once the challenges began). I felt like the romance was a little insta-love but I enjoyed reading it anyway. I’m really curious about what will happen next.

I’d love to know more about her family’s history and her powers. Then ending was really good and I’m glad that she made the choice she did.
L.J. Bus
I love (Greek) mythology and this book has multiple characters that you can recognise from Greek Mythology. But the author still gives enough imformation for the readers that don’t know the myths.
Although the ending isn’t exactly a surprise, that doesn’t take away any pleasure reading this story, it is the sort of story that needs to end in a certain way and it’s lovely either way. Love all the challenges that the challengers had to do. The duality of the Gods being mesmerizingly beautiful and i
Amber
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Covers like Olympian Challenger draw me in.  It's a guilty pleasure - I see a brunette on a cover in a pretty dress and magical lightning and think to myself - yes, I would like to be her.  And I request a galley.  Sometimes it works out, usually is doesn't  Olympian Challenger is somewhere in the middle.

It's the story of a girl with a
Ashley Owens
I received an electronic copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book should have been a perfect fit for me. It’s basically Percy Jackson meets the Hunger Games, with a female protagonist to boot. But it ended up seeming mostly silly to be honest.

I went into this obviously knowing I was going to have to suspend my disbelief for this story, seeing as it’s about a 17 year old girl who goes to Mount Olympus to compete in a contest for the Greek Olympians gods. On the
Cassie James
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review and this doesn't in any way influence my opinion on it.
description

Olympian Challenger by Astrid Arditi is a pleasant surprise, I hardly read YA Greek mythology but the few I've read have been amazing including this one.
Hope Diaz is a teenage girl that has had to be the caretaker of her mother who has dementia. Hope had to mature quickly and take charge of her life.
It all changes for her when she and some other kids her age and magically tran
Edit~A
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Source: I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to NetGalley and Astrid Arditi.)

You’re cordially invited…
To embark on a singular journey.
If your heart is true,
And your soul heroic,
Dare to face your fears,
And your most precious wish will be granted.

If these words you can read,
Don’t breathe them to a soul,
The punishment would be severe,
That confidant may disappear.

You have until midnight.