Start by marking “Sovereignty: The Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Men” as Want to Read:
Sovereignty: The Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Men

Sovereignty: The Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Men

Every man is born with just one thing: his sovereignty - his power to respond to his environment and his circumstances. Unfortunately, most men have spent much of their lives giving away that sovereignty. Every time a man passes blame or shirks his responsibility, every time he makes excuses for his performance, and every time he trades his unlimited potential for a little ...more
Published January 18th 2018 by Lifestyle Entrepreneurs Press

To ask other readers questions about Sovereignty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sovereignty

Start your review of Sovereignty: The Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Men
Stephen Heiner
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The personal development space is full of gender-neutral content, but recently, we've seen Jocko Willink's Discipline Equals Freedom Field Manual, Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life, and Ryan Michler's Sovereignty hit the market, with a decidedly male tilt to their messages.

The author of the book admits he is not a "writer" in the traditional sense, and his language is colloquial and sounds very much like how he speaks on his podcast. But, while his prose may not be world-class, the message ce
Jason Lilly
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
For a few years now, I have followed Ryan Michler through his excellent group and podcast, The Order of Man. Ryan is authentic and honest, and it shows through his talks and through the organization he has built with a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

And now he's written a book, and it is excellent. Filled with much of the advice and inspiration for men that has made his podcast and men's group so appealing, Ryan digs even deeper in this book and puts forth a call for men to take back their sovere
David Rachford
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sovereignty will upgrade your Internal Operating System (OS) to one that's effective, and empowered. The book is well laid out and each chapter gives you the MINDSET and SKILLSET needed to apply the principles to your life. Sovereignty is about reclaiming your power as a man.

While the book is laid out in 4 parts, I see the book as Framework & foundation principles, then an actual plan you can put to work in your life called the "Battle Plan" a 12 week guide to implement specific tactics into you
Ryan Rodriquez
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every man should read this book! Ryan Michler has filled the void that is being created by society and its declination of manhood and masculinity. With a focus on a clear mission to protect, provide, and preside, he outlines practical ways in which we can accomplish what we were meant to do as men.

There are some men out there who are searching for something to validate the inherent feelings they are having in regards to what it takes to be a man and gives the permission that some men may be look
Dave
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was sold as one written specifically for men. I bought it because I wanted to see how it addressed the assault on men and masculinity currently underway in our culture and society. Unfortunately, there was only a very brief mention of that.

The first couple of chapters were decent and encouraging, as the topic of soverignty is lightly addressed and I got the sense that Mr. Michler was going in the right direction. But after those chapters, the book descends into any standard self-help
Kayla Christensen
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Real. No B.S. No punches held.

Ryan speaks the truth. The candor with which he shares his own story causes you to reflect honestly on your own. This book will show you where you are weak. But it will also give you the tools to become strong. It will ignite a fire in your bones to live the life you were born to live and become the sovereign of your own destiny.
Jon Vroman
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!
Michael
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Got this due to a friend's recommendation, but found it to be a fairly generic self-help book. ...more
Jay Watson
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Actionable advice for creating a more meaningful life, finding greater happiness, and achieving sovereignty.
Kico Meirelles
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book per se does not bring many new information if you’re a reader of stoic books, for instance, and development articles. However, it provides a good plan and call to action. The author has a simple approach and shows genuine concern with the topic.
Sam Allen
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I first encountered Ryan’s work on Instagram, which led me to Ryan's podcast, which led me to Ryan's first book. Having just finished Sovereignty, I now find myself engaging a more intentional and active lifestyle, that of evolving into a superior, sovereign version of myself.

In an era where almost universally masculinity reflexively gets bemoaned as inherently toxic, Ryan refreshingly encourages men to be men. In doing so, Ryan fills his niche in an ever-crowding self-help space very genuinely.
James Troxell
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book just ekes out a 4 from me.

For those familiar with the podcast I’m not sure if it’s really worth reading the book. Honestly, if you listen to a couple episodes you don’t really don’t need to read the book. You get all the same information. Though I wouldn’t listen to current podcast episodes as they’ve gotten overtly political and very echo-chambery.

I think the best audience for this is someone you know who is struggling and would be receptive to the advice in here.

For the most part thi
Nicholas Kanakis
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a whole, I was a little disappointed by the writing style in the book, but I thought that Ryan’s message was absolutely SPOT ON! My biggest take away and joy from reading it was sharing the book and it’s lessons in a weekly basis with Mark, my brother, as we seek to define who we are as men, who we see our selves as, and how we can build our lives to become those versions of ourselves. How we show up and protect, provide and provide for those who need us the most. This book and our reading of ...more
Luke Waters
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
While I am still reading this book, and often I find at the end of similar books, they often give some ill-advised charge, I don't think this will be an issue. I appreciate that Michler doesn't fill the pages with snobbish intellectualiteism (those intoxicated with pride of their own "wokeness"), nor does he stall till the very end *like similar self-help books* to tell you how you should be changing your life. Something Michler argues, which many today won't, is that the antidote to the confusi ...more
Joshua Laycock
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve had the pleasure of knowing Ryan for a while now and I’ve been looking forward to this book. Having read it, it has surpassed my expectations. I KNOW that I am a better man because of Ryan and his movement; I see it in every aspect of my life (and so has my family). No matter who you are, where you are in life or your views on masculinity, this book is worthy of your time. It is ideal for you, your husband, your sons and brothers (and your wife, daughter and sisters too). Take the time to c ...more
B.
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in how to be a good man or ,as the author quotes Jack Donovan, “how to be good at being a man”, then this is for you!

No nonsense approach to self leadership...this book is as much about doing as it is about reading-if you want to do something in this life-stop dreaming and just try...you will probably suck at first but who cares.

If you are interested in positive masculine ideals mixed with a healthy dose of stoic philosophy, check out this short book.
Sue
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I am a fan of Ryan's Podcast "The Order of Man", so I certainly was looking forward to reading this book. While his podcast and book are tailored toward men, I believe women can benefit from it as well. I agree with Ryan's views on the Sovereign Man as a provider, protector and presider - over his own life, his family and his community. I like his honest style. (I found myself fist pumping several times). I particularly liked the Battle Plan towards the end of the book. ...more
John Collins
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Along the lines of Think and Grow Rich, but with the focus on being a “Sovereign Man” than on the “grow rich” idea - unless Sovereign man matches your idea of rich.
Both books have similar ground work and exercises to be used in order to meet your “goals” and to break out of the “normal” work-eat-sleep-repeat routine.
Not necessarily a unique read, but it does do a great job for laying out a set of tools and exercises to use in order to improve your life and to reach your goals.
carlos
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sovereign Men

I can’t express enough on how much this book was meant for me. I fell from a bad relationship recently, and that was my wake up call to be become a man, a true warrior. I thought everything would of been great with the new relationship till it dramatically went down hill. I realized that I wasn’t mentally strong yet, wasn’t decisive, didn’t have that warrior mindset, now I know this will definitely be my battle plan. I recommend this book to all men out there!
Mohamad Kalaaji
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing, a must read for any man who wishes to take control over his life and would highly recommend it to anyone who is starting out in life or needs to regain back his objective in life.

Ryan talks about his life experience including family moments, military moments when he got sent to Iraq, and starting his own financial business later on.

The book combines the building blocks and tactics for any man to regain his life and become the man he always wishes to become.
Alexander Olson
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
I'm a follower of Ryan's on social media. I really appreciate the work he does and what he brings to the table. This book did initiate change in me, but it took me a considerable amount of time to read because, to be frank, it's dull at times.
To be fair, Ryan acknowledges he has a long way to go as a writer. The book is valuable, and I don't mean to distract from that. It's just a tough read at times.
Dan Korth
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best book I've ever read on true manhood. The author does a great job articulating things I've wrestled with personally but have always struggled to put my finger on. He doesn't mince words in calling out men for the consequences to ourselves, our families and society if we fail to become fulfill it roles to protect, provide and preside. I really liked the principles he lays out and the actionable plan to continue growing and becoming more the man I'm capable of being. ...more
Brandon Glasgow
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Need a kick in the ass?

Just finished reading this book and I am motivated to make some changes in my life and to be a better man. Ryan Michler presents valuable tools here accomplish that. I'd recommend any guy that wants to be a better man to read this book. I'd also recommend the Order of Man podcast. Life-changing!
Locker
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oom-5-books
I highly recommend this book to any man who is looking to improve his life. Inside this book are hard facts about what it means to be a man. It is broken down into sections that explains the what the The why, an the how of becoming what Ryan calls a sovereign man. I have now written up my 12 week battle plan, and I’m very excited to implement it. I hope that many others will do the same!
Erick Araiza
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book!

I’m never been much of a self help book reader but I have listened to Ryan Michler’s podcast Order of Man and his message and this book about restoring masculinity and becoming a sovereign man really spoke to me, so I highly recommend that you give this book a read.
Allen
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ryan has written an essential guide for every man in the modern era. Even if you do not agree with every word, sentence, paragraph or chapter, there is a lot of value here for any man. All Ryan wants for the world is to leave it better than he found it.
I will insist that my son understands the material in this over grades in school every day. It is much more important.
Joshua Santa Ana
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book and the order of man podcast really evolved my perspective on how to properly be a man. My father only taught me so much, some life lessons I had to go out and learn on my own. This book really gave me a reason to give my lifestyle and mindset a second look, to realize I was selling myself short from reaching my full potential as a man. Thank you Mr. Ryan Michler.
Miguel
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very great read for men. This is not to get confused by people who think it is toxic masculinity. This gives out good advice that all men need to think about to become a better father or male overall. Definitely will re-read the book.

Why did I give it a 4 star? I feel like some topics could have been expanded a little more and not just some small explanation.
Alain Dumonceaux
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: men-s-work
I just finished reading Ryan Michler's Sovereignty and must say it was an excellent read. After each reading he had me questioning my internal strength. To do what needs to be done to achieve my goals and live life as I claim to say it to be. This book won't coddle you and it won't belittle you. It will kick you in the pants and ask you to lead yourself towards your personal sovereignty. ...more
Daniel
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
a book every man should read

Through reading and gaining knowledge we are able to go forth together to make a better future not only for us but for everyone around us and who we care for. Gaining our sovereignty gives us that opportunity to improve, figure out our strength s and weaknesses and to always move forward.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Way of Men
  • Wild at Heart Revised and Updated: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul
  • No More Mr. Nice Guy
  • 75 Hard: A Tactical Guide to Winning the War with Yourself
  • Becoming a Barbarian
  • A More Complete Beast
  • As a Man Thinketh
  • How to Make Sh*t Happen: Make more money, get in better shape, create epic relationships and control your life!
  • The Code. The Evaluation. The Protocols: Striving to Become an Eminently Qualified Human
  • Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
  • Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
  • Hard Times Create Strong Men: Why the World Craves Leadership and How You Can Step Up to Fill the Need
  • Beyond Order: 12 More Rules For Life
  • Iron John: A Book About Men
  • Lives of the Stoics: The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius
  • The Dichotomy of Leadership: Balancing the Challenges of Extreme Ownership to Lead and Win
  • Men on Fire: Restoring the Forces That Forge Noble Manhood