Start by marking “Sovereignty: The Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Men” as Want to Read:
Sovereignty: The Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Men

Sovereignty: The Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Men

Every man is born with just one thing: his sovereignty - his power to respond to his environment and his circumstances. Unfortunately, most men have spent much of their lives giving away that sovereignty. Every time a man passes blame or shirks his responsibility, every time he makes excuses for his performance, and every time he trades his unlimited potential for a little ...more
Published January 18th 2018 by Lifestyle Entrepreneurs Press

To ask other readers questions about Sovereignty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sovereignty

Start your review of Sovereignty: The Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Men
Stephen Heiner
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The personal development space is full of gender-neutral content, but recently, we've seen Jocko Willink's Discipline Equals Freedom Field Manual, Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life, and Ryan Michler's Sovereignty hit the market, with a decidedly male tilt to their messages.

The author of the book admits he is not a "writer" in the traditional sense, and his language is colloquial and sounds very much like how he speaks on his podcast. But, while his prose may not be world-class, the message ce
Jason Lilly
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
For a few years now, I have followed Ryan Michler through his excellent group and podcast, The Order of Man. Ryan is authentic and honest, and it shows through his talks and through the organization he has built with a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

And now he's written a book, and it is excellent. Filled with much of the advice and inspiration for men that has made his podcast and men's group so appealing, Ryan digs even deeper in this book and puts forth a call for men to take back their sovere
Ryan Rodriquez
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every man should read this book! Ryan Michler has filled the void that is being created by society and its declination of manhood and masculinity. With a focus on a clear mission to protect, provide, and preside, he outlines practical ways in which we can accomplish what we were meant to do as men.

There are some men out there who are searching for something to validate the inherent feelings they are having in regards to what it takes to be a man and gives the permission that some men may be look
David Rachford
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sovereignty will upgrade your Internal Operating System (OS) to one that's effective, and empowered. The book is well laid out and each chapter gives you the MINDSET and SKILLSET needed to apply the principles to your life. Sovereignty is about reclaiming your power as a man.

While the book is laid out in 4 parts, I see the book as Framework & foundation principles, then an actual plan you can put to work in your life called the "Battle Plan" a 12 week guide to implement specific tactics into you
Jay Watson
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Actionable advice for creating a more meaningful life, finding greater happiness, and achieving sovereignty.
Jon Vroman
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!
Kayla Christensen
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Real. No B.S. No punches held.

Ryan speaks the truth. The candor with which he shares his own story causes you to reflect honestly on your own. This book will show you where you are weak. But it will also give you the tools to become strong. It will ignite a fire in your bones to live the life you were born to live and become the sovereign of your own destiny.
Sam Allen
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I first encountered Ryan’s work on Instagram, which led me to Ryan's podcast, which led me to Ryan's first book. Having just finished Sovereignty, I now find myself engaging a more intentional and active lifestyle, that of evolving into a superior, sovereign version of myself.

In an era where almost universally masculinity reflexively gets bemoaned as inherently toxic, Ryan refreshingly encourages men to be men. In doing so, Ryan fills his niche in an ever-crowding self-help space very genuinely.
James Troxell
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book just ekes out a 4 from me.

For those familiar with the podcast I’m not sure if it’s really worth reading the book. Honestly, if you listen to a couple episodes you don’t really don’t need to read the book. You get all the same information. Though I wouldn’t listen to current podcast episodes as they’ve gotten overtly political and very echo-chambery.

I think the best audience for this is someone you know who is struggling and would be receptive to the advice in here.

For the most part thi
Dave Knaus
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was sold as one written specifically for men. I bought it because I wanted to see how it addressed the assault on men and masculinity currently underway in our culture and society. Unfortunately, there was only a very brief mention of that.

The first couple of chapters were decent and encouraging, as the topic of soverignty is lightly addressed and I got the sense that Mr. Michler was going in the right direction. But after those chapters, the book descends into any standard self-help
Nicholas Kanakis
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a whole, I was a little disappointed by the writing style in the book, but I thought that Ryan’s message was absolutely SPOT ON! My biggest take away and joy from reading it was sharing the book and it’s lessons in a weekly basis with Mark, my brother, as we seek to define who we are as men, who we see our selves as, and how we can build our lives to become those versions of ourselves. How we show up and protect, provide and provide for those who need us the most. This book and our reading of ...more
Joshua Laycock
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve had the pleasure of knowing Ryan for a while now and I’ve been looking forward to this book. Having read it, it has surpassed my expectations. I KNOW that I am a better man because of Ryan and his movement; I see it in every aspect of my life (and so has my family). No matter who you are, where you are in life or your views on masculinity, this book is worthy of your time. It is ideal for you, your husband, your sons and brothers (and your wife, daughter and sisters too). Take the time to c ...more
B.
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in how to be a good man or ,as the author quotes Jack Donovan, “how to be good at being a man”, then this is for you!

No nonsense approach to self leadership...this book is as much about doing as it is about reading-if you want to do something in this life-stop dreaming and just try...you will probably suck at first but who cares.

If you are interested in positive masculine ideals mixed with a healthy dose of stoic philosophy, check out this short book.
Sue
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I am a fan of Ryan's Podcast "The Order of Man", so I certainly was looking forward to reading this book. While his podcast and book are tailored toward men, I believe women can benefit from it as well. I agree with Ryan's views on the Sovereign Man as a provider, protector and presider - over his own life, his family and his community. I like his honest style. (I found myself fist pumping several times). I particularly liked the Battle Plan towards the end of the book.
John Collins
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Along the lines of Think and Grow Rich, but with the focus on being a “Sovereign Man” than on the “grow rich” idea - unless Sovereign man matches your idea of rich.
Both books have similar ground work and exercises to be used in order to meet your “goals” and to break out of the “normal” work-eat-sleep-repeat routine.
Not necessarily a unique read, but it does do a great job for laying out a set of tools and exercises to use in order to improve your life and to reach your goals.
carlos
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sovereign Men

I can’t express enough on how much this book was meant for me. I fell from a bad relationship recently, and that was my wake up call to be become a man, a true warrior. I thought everything would of been great with the new relationship till it dramatically went down hill. I realized that I wasn’t mentally strong yet, wasn’t decisive, didn’t have that warrior mindset, now I know this will definitely be my battle plan. I recommend this book to all men out there!
Brandon Glasgow
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Need a kick in the ass?

Just finished reading this book and I am motivated to make some changes in my life and to be a better man. Ryan Michler presents valuable tools here accomplish that. I'd recommend any guy that wants to be a better man to read this book. I'd also recommend the Order of Man podcast. Life-changing!
Locker
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oom-5-books
I highly recommend this book to any man who is looking to improve his life. Inside this book are hard facts about what it means to be a man. It is broken down into sections that explains the what the The why, an the how of becoming what Ryan calls a sovereign man. I have now written up my 12 week battle plan, and I’m very excited to implement it. I hope that many others will do the same!
Erick Araiza
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book!

I’m never been much of a self help book reader but I have listened to Ryan Michler’s podcast Order of Man and his message and this book about restoring masculinity and becoming a sovereign man really spoke to me, so I highly recommend that you give this book a read.
Allen
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ryan has written an essential guide for every man in the modern era. Even if you do not agree with every word, sentence, paragraph or chapter, there is a lot of value here for any man. All Ryan wants for the world is to leave it better than he found it.
I will insist that my son understands the material in this over grades in school every day. It is much more important.
Jim hahn
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good read! I have suggested it to many men! I love the plan a d the 4 quads.

I have highlighted a lot of passages and plan to review the book for further learning. going through the process now has opened my eyes as to how to achieve what I need to get done.
Trae
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Listened to the Audiobook and immediately bought the physical book because I want to re-read and take notes in certain sections. Totally worth the price of purchase for any man looking for what's missing in his life.
Bakertyl
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, level-up
I like that the end of the book gives concrete, practical advice for making long-term improvements to your life. Makes it infinitely better than most "self-help" that only includes feel-good anecdotes.
Kyle Smith
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

This is a fantastic book full of amazing information that every man should be made aware of. If you choose to actually use what is put forward here and implement this stuff into your life you can start moving towards what you're truly capable of.
Trevor Bond
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Challenge

With this book, Ryan has not only laid out a system for getting your life back on to the course you want for it, he has put out a challenge and a call to arms for men to be the strong pillars of the family and society that they are meant to be.
Jesse Cleaver
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Real, useable advice

Ryan cuts against the modern grain and explains why masculinity is not only not a bad thing but it is needed now more than ever.
John Etzil
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book on a subject that needs clarity

If there are any men or boys in your life, give them this as a gift. The world will be a better place. Not kidding.
Robert M. Griffith
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book made me rethink my life

I recommend this book to all men. It will change your perspective. I've never been more motivated to improve myself and make serious changes.
Zak Webster
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
a great read for men that feel like they are ment for more but don't know where to start.
Jacob
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and encouraging

I like how the author also used examples from his personal life to show that changes can be made and you do have the power to turn it around. Thanks Ryan.

• The Way of Men
  • Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual
  • Wild at Heart Revised and Updated: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul
  • A More Complete Beast
  • Becoming a Barbarian
  • Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win
  • No More Mr. Nice Guy
  • The Dichotomy of Leadership: Balancing the Challenges of Extreme Ownership to Lead and Win
  • How to Make Sh*t Happen: Make more money, get in better shape, create epic relationships and control your life!
  • Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual
  • The Code. the Evaluation. the Protocols: Striving to Become an Eminently Qualified Human
  • Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimised practices for waking, working, learning, eating, training, playing, sleeping and sex
  • Man Up: How to Cut the Bullsh!t and Kick @ss in Business (and in Life)
  • King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine
  • As a Man Thinketh
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • The Terminal List (James Reece, #1)