Start by marking “The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being” as Want to Read:

There is no doubt about it. Toddlers can be tricky. On one hand they can be lovely. On the other hand they can be really hard work. They'll make you laugh. And they will probably bring you to tears. Or at least a high level of frustration.

I felt the same way when my children were small and I was struggling to get them to do things. I felt enormous empathy for them, but was
Published January 2018 by Jacaranda Tree Publishing

Start your review of The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most parenting books don't deserve 5 stars because I disagree with them in enough parts, or they're weak in vital areas. And while I might not subscribe 100% to Montessori methods, this book does an amazing job of relating to your toddler. (the illustrations are an additional bonus. They are so beautiful and eye-catching!)

Toddlerhood is a tough age. It's a struggle sometimes to get through each day (for both of us I think). But this book not only directs and instructs, but it also comes alongsi
M.  [storme reads a lot]
Awesome info. Easy to model and use in daily life. Though I don’t plan on using full Montessori, I plan on utilizing a lot of these techniques. Audio book is easy to navigate and lets you choose what you want to listen to. Definitely will be useful in raising my tiny human.
Toni
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was an extremely interesting read. The book follows Maria Montessori’s principles of raising a free and responsible child by helping your toddler discover the world with all its wonders. The activities focus on practical aspects of daily life e.g. setting up the child’s room to foster sensory development, coordination and sense of order. Well-designed and clear, the book will be appreciated by new parents seeking practical guidance into how to implement Montessori principles at home.
Highly re
Andee Marley
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The easiest, most organized and understandable guide to raising thoughtful and inquizitive children I have come across.
Marrynka
I really loved this book and would recommend to anyone who is interested in this (or similar) type of parenting. I listened to an audiobook but decided to buy a paperback as well in order to be able to revisit the chapters when needed - book contains a lot of practical advice and step by step guidance on how to tackle a lot of situations and milestones with children.
Rachael Marsceau
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nothing can take away initiative as fast as when we redo something that they did. - Jean K. Miller

Be fast when it makes sense to be fast, and be slow when slowness is called for. Seek to live at what musicians call the tempo giusto - the right speed. - Carl Honore
Mary
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book for daydreaming. While there are some Montessori nonsense (mostly about banishing nonsense), I love the idea of building competence in kids, partially because it frees up the adult humans. This book is especially effective. It gives practical how-to suggestions for everything from potty training to sleep to (and this is mostly what people think of) play and education (I like the idea of making younger children care for older ones to prevent sibling rivalry, and not immediately deman ...more
Lydia Bergen
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has put a spring in my step. At times it is so idealistic it feels corny, but I needed that. Anyone can tell you about the agonies of raising 0-3 year olds but it takes a special voice to speak of the magic and joy of this season. The book has allowed me to take a step back and devise ways to guide my children into learning and independence.
Erika RS
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, owned
This book introduces Montessori principles and shows how to apply them in the home for toddlers. The overview was interesting, and the book had a number of good tips. However, it was repetitive. Chapters had repeated content. Even worse, within chapters the same content would be presented in the text as a list then in a sidebar as a list with nearly identical content. I also felt that only the first five chapters really had a Montessori focus. The rest of the book was fairly general parenting ad ...more
Cathy LunaCat
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love learning more about children and toddlers. The Montessori concept is trendy nowadays and this book was really interesting. Indeed, I liked how it is explained from the first pages and I really like how practical this book is for parents and future parents. The author not only gives activities for learning, but also pratical examples at home for toddlers to be more and more independent.

The layout is well taken care of and it is easy to read. You can either read it from the start to the en
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Came into this with just the cursory information of Montessori and perhaps a dash of skepticism that I would get much out of this, but it was phenomenal. Lots of practical advice to implement immediately with pre-school/toddlers. While I don't intend to transform our home into a Montessori school with trays of activities or get rid of picture books with fantasy elements (our son loves books about dragons), I got a lot out of how to speak to your child and things to keep in mind about his develop ...more
Robert Frecer
Cultish and dew-eyed or greatest idea ever? I’ll find out in two years, and maybe come back to change my review.

Pleasant book with plenty of good ideas, but I am wary of any intimations of messianism, of which there were many.
Ariel Jensen
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
A great introduction to Montessori. Includes an overwhelming but wonderful amount of information, activity ideas, & motivational quotes. ...more
Branimir
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book on the Montessori methodology for any age. I picked it after careful review of multiple highly recommended "starting" books that combine ideology discussion + practical application examples and analysis. The book met my expectations, and I recommend it to anyone that searches for a read on the topic and shares the background I mentioned above. It may feel a bit too basic to existing practitioners or people who have read a few other books on the topic.

Montessori's primary ru
Amanda Chiu
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was pretty amazing. I generally go into parenting books with a bit of skepticism because I really think everyone just do what is best for your family. However this book is a fantastic guide with tonnes of information about the Montessori method that can be easily incorporated to whatever degree you choose in your home/life. Amazing resources, examples and step-by-step lists. It also goes beyond just learning activities to include conflict resolution, potty training, divorce, etc. Highly rec ...more
Rita
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Lots of great info. Easy to model and apply
Abby Brown
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with this book! As a newbie to Montessori, I really benefited from how this book covered every topic from Maria Montessori's childhood philosophy to the prepared environment to recommended tray work. Davies has written a very encouraging and knowledgeable book about raising and educating children in a profoundly positive way. Definitely a must-read for those interested in the Montessori method!
Sam Jobs
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was frustrated with my 2 year old toddler and this book helps a lot for practical ideas. Good activities suggestions for things to do at home!

I highly recommend this as the only Montessori book you will ever need. Others are nice but this book is outstanding and simplified.
April
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, 2020
I don’t think I’m ever going to know when I’ve read this whole book, as I go through different parts of it all the time.

I really appreciate the Montessori mindset (and if we are being honest, the aesthetic). This book is exceedingly beautiful and practical. It has examples of what your child can be capable of at what age, examples of how to set up each room of your house for toddler success, example toys, example conversations or responses... it’s just so handy.

Since I know nothing about childr
Mckenna Clarke
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful book. I had always felt nervous about the toddler stage of parenting because of all the negative you see and hear about toddlers, but this book has showed me a higher, better way to parent curious little ones. I feel more confident going into the next stage of parenthood, and I will definitely be returning to this book for guidance.
Heather-Lin
Incredibly thought provoking and inspiring, even for a non parent. Many of these principles are kind, respectful direction for being a loving human with ourselves and others.

Many times I marveled at how applicable the advice is for our beloved fur babies. They have that same sense of innocence, curiosity and need for consistency to feel safe.

Stuff I learned:
~Emphasis on observation instead of analysis and judgement.
~Descriptive Feedback instead of generic praise. "Good girl/boy"exclamations can
Caitlin Padanyi
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a visually beautiful book! I borrowed it from the library but will very much consider buying a copy for our parenting reference library. So many practical ways to engage children in the home. I have written out pages of notes of things I want to implement after reading this book.
Kristjan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended read for every parent - well written, easy to read. Full of insightful ideas, concrete examples and very clear guidance.
Katherine
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
This is an excellent guide to doing a Montessori approach at home for toddlers. It might be a little overwhelming for someone totally new to Montessori because of how much information is covered, but I thought the tone overall was very kind and warm, much like Simone's blog (there is exactly one bit that I thought was a bit overstepping, which was a line that went something like, "I would not leave a child to cry it out [to fall asleep]" but all things considered, that's really not that bad).

Th
Niki Shirkman
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this practical and straight-forward read. I knew general info about the Montessori method, but this was a great expansion into the details of it. A lot of what she shares are ideas/approaches/values I already have or implement as a parent and the things that were new to me feel like an extension of what I already do.

One of her first sentences in the book is how much she loves toddlers, even though it can be a stage many people dread. It just gave me such renewed perspective on th
Michael
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As we now are raising a toddler(!) and I enjoyed this fast and sensitive grounding in Montessori practices. My partner has already started to adopt some of the principles at home, and this book felt like a good overview to catch up, with references to more and deeper thinking where needed to address an individuals needs. I think the key takeaways for me personally are centered on respecting a toddler as already striving for independence, finding ways to enable problem solving even while so young ...more
Steph
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
There’s lots of lovely ideas in this book and it’s beautifully presented. It crosses most areas of life with a toddler so for books specifically about parenting I’d go for Dan Siegel or Adele Faber but I liked the sections about activities and how to set up the house in a toddler-friendly way, thinking about space from a toddler perspective.

I admit there were times I rolled my eyes, times I scoffed and thought “you’ve clearly never met my kid coz that would never work for her” and times where e
Jill
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: montessori
Beautifully written (and illustrated/organized -- felt relaxing just to open the book because it was so carefully and intentionally made to be easily digestible) and very practical book. Helpful for anyone interested in applying Montessori principles at home with toddlers. This book really helped me to see the Montessori approach as a way of parenting (and living and being), rather than simply a collection of beautifully prepared activities.

Side note: I initially borrowed this book from the libr
Heath Salzman
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Montessori model, I think it is so helpful for changing the way we view and relate to our children. This book will be a great resource. The model is such a holistic philosophy that it will take a while to really learn it, so I will be revisiting this again.

I listened to the audiobook this time which obfuscated the structure, to a degree. I would get a physical copy to read next time to better follow along with the authors flow.
Jose Jimenez
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Montessori books. I recommend this to all families that have infants who will transition to toddlers soon, and those who currently have a toddler. This is definitely a keeper, and wil use a reference book, even after my children go past the toddler phase, as the leanings carry on through life.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know  to Do It Once and Do It Right
  • No Bad Kids: Toddler Discipline Without Shame
  • How To Raise An Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7
  • The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive
  • Elevating Child Care: A Guide to Respectful Parenting
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • Practical Guide to the Montessori Method at Home: With more than 100 activity ideas from 0 to 6
  • The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections
  • The Creative Family Manifesto: Encouraging Imagination and Nurturing Family Connections
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind
  • There's No Such Thing as Bad Weather: A Scandinavian Mom's Secrets for Raising Healthy, Resilient, and Confident Kids (from Friluftsliv to Hygge)
  • Simple Happy Parenting: The Secret of Less for Calmer Parents and Happier Kids

News & Interviews

“We are kind to each other. This means that even if we disagree, we will not hurt each other physically or tease each other; it teaches children to respect themselves and each other.” 1 likes
“Who knew that parenting would become an almost spiritual journey? And what a journey it is. Sometimes I wish I had known all of this before I became a parent. Yet, we only know what we know. So I think of how I've grown up alongside my children - that they see me trying and geting it wrong and trying again ad getting a bit better, constantly learning and growing.” 1 likes