Start by marking “Mariachi Meddler (Andy Veracruz Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Mariachi Meddler (Andy Veracruz Mystery #1)

Mariachi Meddler

(Andy Veracruz Mystery #1)

A troubled woman, a guilty conscience, and a mariachi band in jeopardy add up to Mariachi Meddler!

Andy Veracruz is the leader of a band in Southern California, but when his boss goes out of town, the restaurant where he performs turns to chaos. Andy tries to avoid the boss’s flirtatious wife, but when Yiolanda is accused of murder, Andy isn’t sure whether to help her or to
Paperback, 2nd edition, 240 pages
Published August 7th 17 by AAkenbaaken & Kent

To ask other readers questions about Mariachi Meddler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mariachi Meddler

Start your review of Mariachi Meddler (Andy Veracruz Mystery #1)
Jennie Rosenblum
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
D. R. Ransdell put together a fascinating story. The main character, Andy is in a mariachi band. I must admit I know little of that music except for the songs I have enjoyed in Mexico. But, even a novice can enjoy the mood that the music helps to build as a background for Andy’s escapades. While this book might be labeled a cozy, ameatur sleuth by accident, interesting side characters like his almost identical brother and Mrs. Sfirakis, his neighbor, it has more going on than the typical cozy. ...more
Beatriz
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story follows mariachi musician Andy Veracruz on a well-paced mystery / adventure as he investigates murders that all point to his boss' seductive wife. Andy is the quintessential average "Joe" who suddenly finds himself swept into a world of intrigue, forced to distinguish outright lies from half-truths at every twist and turn.

Ransdell skillfully weaves in anecdotes and opens windows into the world of the mariachi, which is more complex than one could at first guess. She does this without
Catherine Paul
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mariachi Murder was a delight to read. I enjoy Mariachi music it is so lively. Reading the mystery and thinking back on restaurants that have Mariachi music just made this a wonderful read. I encourage you to read Mariachi Murder it is worth the time, the characters and locale are believable, – you will enjoy it.
J.L. Greger
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mariachi Murders reminds me of Raymond Chandler at his best. It is set near LA, in the fictional Squid Bay. It’s summer with long, stifling nights and no air conditioning. The heroine Yiolanda is a sensuous temptress with a murky past. The hero Andy Veracruz is a thirtyish man, who although he refuses to be tied down by anyone or anything but his music, is drawn deeper and deeper into Yiolanda’s web. He doesn’t trust any woman, except his white-haired neighbor Mrs. Sfirak.

This novel differs from
Gail Gibbs
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Andy Veracruz wants nothing more than to play mariachi music. He lives for the nightly performances with his band at a local restaurant, Noche Azul. His steady gig is threatened when the owner's seductive wife begs for his help, drawing him into her weird and manipulative games. Murders start happening, and Andy's every attempt to get free drags him deeper down.

A satisfying mystery and entertaining peek into the lives of mariachi musicians. I look forward reading the rest of the series.

Note - I
Jason Luttrull
I received a PDF copy of this book from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Andy is a man in his late 30’s enjoying his life. Although he has a “girlfriend” he is not yet ready to settle down and give her the family she wants. At work, where he plays in a Mariachi band late into the night, the very beautiful Yiolanda, his boss’ wife, catches his eye more and more.

When his boss, Rolando, asks him to keep an eye on his wife as he has to attend a family function in Mexico, Andy’s
D.R. Ransdell
Jun 16, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Just a note: MARIACHI MURDER is based on a lot of first-hand information about playing in a mariachi, which I've done for over twenty years.

When you do play in a mariachi, one little problem is that people ask for the same songs over and over: "Guantanamera," "El rey," etc. And during that time, the musicians don't have to pay attention to the music. So, instead, they watch one another or the customers.

That can get dangerous. In fact, for Andy Veracruz, that's exactly the case. Because he
John Paddison
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I am not a mystery writer, I learned a good deal about writing from Ransdell’s newest novel Mariachi Murder. Her use of effective dialogue, telling details, and artful characterization allow her to develop the work’s intricate plot into a suspenseful and surprising conclusion. In addition, her strong familiarity with Mariachi music and bands certainly add to the authenticity of the story. In look forward to reading more Andy Veracruz Mysteries, which I certainly hope will closely follow ...more
Elaine
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Andy Veracruz sees everything as black and while, there are no grays. He tries to fix things and it ends up getting him in trouble.. He's as flawed as the next guy, sometimes more but those flaws help him wind his way into your heart
.There are books you can read a few chapters, put it down until you have time to read a few more. This is not that book. it's a page turner that grabs you and doesn't let go. So pour yourself a cold drink, find a comfortable chair and enjoy this first in a new
Carole Price
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's important I learn something from books I read. I knew nothing about Mariachi bands until I read this book.If you like mystery, music, and murder, this book is for you. Andy Veracruz tries to do what he thinks is the right thing to do, but when his boss's wife, Yiolanda, wants special favors from him, he's hard put to deny her. But anything can happen in fictional Squid Bay . . . and does. You're in for a treat.

Carole Price
Kathy
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can I love Andy Veracruz and the life he has chosen and still get so frustrated with him? I enjoyed finding out about the life of a mariachi player and thought Ransdell drew the Southern California community where Andy lived and worked with telling details that put me beside him on his deck.
The book is about choices, the wise and not-so-wise ones made for friends (and lovers?) Excellent mystery that kept me clueless until the end. And wanting to know more of Andy's exploits.
Kate
Sep 23, 2013
Lois
Jul 19, 2019
AM
rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2015
Michelle Pickett
Becky Gober
James Cozzarelli
Jan 22, 2018
D.R. Ransdell performs in a mariachi band where zealous customers, scheming musicians, and jealous spouses provide countless plots for the Andy Veracruz Mysteries. She also writes travel-themed fiction about the Campanello sisters. Her musical memoir is a tell-all about how she learned to play mariachi music. Yes, the names were changed to protect the guilty!

D.R. resides in Tucson with four

Andy Veracruz Mystery (4 books)
  • Island Casualty (Andy Veracruz Mystery #2)
  • Dizzy in Durango (Andy Veracruz Mystery #3)
  • Substitute Soloist (Andy Veracruz Mystery #4)