Start by marking “Undertow (Port Lewis Witches, #2)” as Want to Read:
Undertow (Port Lewis Witches, #2)

Undertow

(Port Lewis Witches #2)

Port Lewis, a coastal town perched on the Washington cliffs, is home to Crescent Cafe, a slew of micro-breweries, a downtown packed with antique boutiques, and violent, ancient storms. Thunder shakes rooftops and lightning cuts through dark skies, but Liam Montgomery has never been afraid.

Until now.

One night, Liam hears the scream of a kelpie, a Water horse whose cry foret
Published September 10th 2018 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Undertow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undertow

Start your review of Undertow (Port Lewis Witches, #2)
Cas
#1 Darkling ★★★★☆
#2 Undertow ★★★★☆
#3 ???

When the police are called and investigating my dead body withered into a fetal position on my bed and the detective asks what the cause of death is, I want it to be known that this is it. The anger and the passion that this book ignited and in which I wrote this review gave me a goddamn stroke. You thought it was going to be from my perfectionism and frequent tendency to stress myself into an aneurysm but no.

And I’ll admit that this sounds like I’m about
Karen
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 witchy stars rounded up to 5 because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and because the second story was equally as good as the first...ok, probably a tiny bit better...full review to follow soonish!

I guess I squirreled on this one because the review was finished last year and I missed adding it here...

More witches, more secrets...

'Undertow' is the second book in the 'Port Lewis Witches' series by new to me author Brooklyn Ray and while I was gobsmacked by 'Darkling' this one has totally bewi
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now I think I am in love or at least well on my way.

This was better and the first was damn good. There was a much better feeling of knowing with this one but there is still so much to learn. So much!

Liam. Wow. I mean, I knew Ryder but now Liam and Ryder? Watch out.

Dangerous.

This was such a great second book. All that I felt reading the first book was definitely kicked up a notch or two in this one.

I can't get over how perfectly the author sets the scene visually. I compared Darkling to a TV show
J.P. Jackson
Hold on kids, this is darkness at it's best.

I HAVE to APOLOGIZE - this review was supposed to go out in September - but you know what life is like sometimes. So...yeah, there it is. My deepest apologies to Brooklyn Ray.

Now, no secret - I have a twisted dark side. I suspect Brooklyn Ray has a similar shadowy self that they dwell within while writing the Port Lewis witch series. Unbroken, the third in the series, and Predatory, the fourth, are both set to be released in 2019 - AND I WILL BE BUYING
mo
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 to 4 stars.

I had a bit of a rough time with this novella at first. As I said in my review for the previous novella in this series, I don't seem to mesh super smoothly with the setting and tone the author is going for with this series. Maybe I'm too soft-hearted, and the level and type of angst in these stories isn't quite for me. I'm not sure. My lukewarm response to this novella feels like an "it's-not-you-it's-me" type of thing.

Maybe my issue is that I think Ryder and Liam's circle of wi
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
3.7*

Let me start out by saying this is book 2 in a series and the first one needs to be read. Also, this features a trans character (f2m) that isn't fully transitioned. While I have zero issues with that, it is sometimes a little odd during sex scenes, because you completely forget Ryder still has some female attributes. If you don't think you can handle that, then I wouldn't recommend it.

That being said, Liam and Ryder's relationship begins to solidify further and their magic continues to meld
Alison
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this. Note that it's Book Two and does not stand alone. We get Liam's POV in this book and he and Ryder are dabbling in some things that everyone, including them, says is risky, so of course it's going to get interesting. Just as in the first book, there's a wonderfully rich and spooky atmosphere. The magic system is neat and it's really woven into everything thoroughly. There's lots of tension and danger and secrets and darkness and I expect things are going to get lots worse bef ...more
Anna
Dec 21, 2018 added it
The story is gripping and emotional. Dark in places, so loving in others. I very much want to know what happens to this circle of young witches. Once more, Ray delivers a paranormal romance that's dark and moody as the ocean, as bright and dangerous as the moon, and as sensual as skin on skin.

It's a little strange, because this book reminds me a lot of some of the stuff I never talk about from college. Yeah, sometimes dabbling in stuff is dangerous, powerful, terrifying, and affirming.

20-some o
Really enjoyed Liam's story! Loved seeing how he and Ryder are going. But I'm super keen for Michael's book next !!
I received a copy of Undertow from NineStar Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

[rating removed]

I enjoyed this more than I did Darkling but it’s still confusing and hard to follow in a lot of ways. I love the magic and supernatural elements of the story, and I’m still curious about the future, but in some ways it’s Weird. I hate that the friendship between the circle-mates is falling apart and how cruel Tyler can be, but I do like the growth between Liam and Ryder from the first
Achim
And it just keeps getting better. Still a lot of secrets and the tension in the witch circle still high but this time the entry into Port Lewis is easier and while this book is all Liam's perspective and therefore about him and his love with Ryder the other 3 witches of their circle become characters of their own. Christie, always the diplomat, trying to keep everything together, knowing too much of their secrets to be able to take sides, so lonely it could hurt; Donovan, docile baby witch, stil ...more
Amanda Prado
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
this one was so much better than darkling im actually really mad the next book will be changing pov lmao
E.M. Hamill
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ryder and Liam are back, the steam is on full force, and the danger is mounting.
Whew!
I love the author's prose in everything they write, but it's exceptionally good here. I felt the mist and sea spray and soft gray fog of Port Lewis in every word, the images in my head exquisite.
The pictures stayed just as vivid with the rising tension, blood, and sex magick. Holy s**t. Liam takes center stage in this book, and the horror of what might be coming is like a cold hand on the back of your neck the
Elaine White

Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages – 111
Cover – Stunning!
POV – 3rd person, one character
Would I read it again – Yes!
Genre – LGBT, Contemporary, Witches, Trans (FTM)
Content Warning – blood-play, death, necromancy, light gore, off-page parental abuse

Wow! What can I say? Once again, just as in the first book, the world building and storytelling are on poi
Becca
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost, pay attention to the content warning. It's there for a reason and very true. Also, do not read these books out of order. If you do, you will be lost. This is an ongoing series and I encourage you to read it. If you don't, you're seriously missing out. This book went in a direction I totally did not see coming and I loved every second of it. Damn this is good. And I KNEW something was up with Donovan, and I was right to a point, but where Liam and Ryder's journey goes, holy sh ...more
iam
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had so much fun reading this that I completely forget about all the issues I had with Darkling.
I was only after I finished Undertow that I realized not all of those issues were resolved here, but I still enjoyed the book a ton.

I was a bit afraid that I would have trouble understanding what was going on since I couldn't remember many details from book1, but it was completely fine. I quickly remembered who characters were and there were enough small hints and references that jogged my memory,
L.M.
*Was given this book in exchange for an honest review*

First off, can we talk about this cover? Talk about gorgeous. That's what initially drew me to this book. However, I realized too late that I had made a mistake. This is the second book in a series and I had not read the first book. I'm a bit pressed for time right now, so I went ahead and read the synopsis for book 1 and pressed on into book 2 (Undertow).

Thankfully, I felt the author did a good job summarizing events in Book 1 enough that I
Rian Durant
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it

Undertow was so much better than Darkling in so many ways that it almost made me forget the issues I had with the first book in the series.

Here we had the same cast but almost all of them gained flesh and became interesting enough that I'd like to read more about them. A lot of depth was added to Liam (which he lacked in the first part, and now he is officially my favorite character of the book).

And voila!, there was a real conflict Undertow. It was page turning because it was comple
natalie
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
TW: bloodletting

I was so glad to return to Port Lewis and my witch kids. This was a wild ride from beginning to end. Liam is dealing with some thiiiings and I was so glad just to reunite with him and Ryder and their circle. And get his POV this time. Whew. Their circle's a little shakyyyy and made for some tense moments especiallyyyyy when everything that had been building up from the start of the story came to a head.

I was so worried and on edge the entire time reading this so kudos to the au
Andria Potter
I really liked this one. At first, I was hesitant in reading it because it was book two, but once I started I could not stop. While there were several confusing moments, such as not knowing who certain characters were or why they mattered to the story, I essentially liked it. I especially loved the character Liam and Ryder, though I identified more easily with Liam.

Warnings: this contains LGBT gay characters, strong sex scenes, blood magic, some light swearing, and lots of drama

This book also c
Rafa Brewster
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars!

Reviewed for Just Love. ARC received via Netgalley in exchange for honest and fair review.

Undertow had a lot to live up to after the brilliance of Darkling, and I was over the moon that it proved to be equally as potent a read as its predecessor. The author’s prose is poetic (but nowhere near purple), using both the physical and elemental to create some highly sensual imagery in even the simplest of sentences.

Undertow picks up after Darkling left off, this time focusing on Liam via his
Amy Aislin
I must have been in the mood for something dark, because I loved this! I loved Liam and Ryder's relationship, that I'd-die-for-you but also I'd-kill-to-protect-you mentally.

This is the second book in a continuing series, which, silly me didn't realize before picking this up, but I have to hand it to the author: at no time did I feel like I got plopped into something with no background info. Yes, I was a little lost when it came to the dynamics of Liam and Ryder's circle, but in terms of the stor
M
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I kind of totally needed to re-read Darkling to remember what happened in that book seeing as this is a series but it didn't stop me from jumping back into the fun.

This time it's Liam who is riddled by mystery and family secrets. I liked the scenes where all of the circle met up though I'm extremely put off by Tyler. I understand he's suffering from abuse but he comes off as abusive too. Also, I didn't enjoy Ryder calling Liam "princess" even when Liam told him to stop. I wasn't sure if it was p
Elke
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: diverse, 3-stars, lgbtqiap
as a direct sequel to Darkling, it comes to no surprise i felt basically the same about this book as i did about the last. (you can find my review here:https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) i am obviously intrigued enough to read them (and fast, and quick after each other) and i think they're worth it. many people love them; i still think they're weird, as in, weirder than i'm used to, but that doesn't mean bad, or weird in a bad way. and i like that it diversifies my reading in that way. it ...more
Sage (SageShelves)
Y'all remember in New Moon when Bella took up cliff diving so she could hallucinate Edward? That's me after the cliffhanger at the end of this book. I'm tossing myself over the edge in hopes of finding the next one.
camila
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, otp
Everything inside him felt undone—his magic, his energy, his blood, his memories. But this—Ryder’s hand on his face, his gentle gaze and warm breath—was enough to remind Liam that he was still who he had always been.
Jo Ladzinski
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
If you liked the sex, magic, and feelings of Darkling, Undertow turns everything up to 11 with Ryder and Liam exploring their budding relationship while a kelpie comes after Liam. The relationships are tense and the magic is even more dangerous this time. Where this book shines, however, is the writing of the spellcraft. The way Ray puts to page premonitions and spell-casting is absolutely astounding.
dylan
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
honestly I'm just here for the magic + smut, so the absence of plot and character development doesn't super bother me

cw: bloodletting
Leah
UNDERTOW is a wonderful continuation to the Port Lewis Witches series, carrying on with the same characters and places you come to love in the first book, and introducing new secrets and mythos, making you even more eager for more!

Read the full review on my blog!
Rebekkah Brainerd
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adored DARKLING, so I absolutely had to have this one when it came out. And boy, did it not disappoint. I feel like Ray is speaking to my soul with these books, which are so refreshingly dark, impactful, and soulful. I love the magic, I love the world, I love how messed up and real each of these characters are. These books hold a special place in my heart and I cannot wait for the next!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Graveyard Shift (Not Dead Yet #3)
  • Strays
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • Shadows You Left
  • The Cardigans (Criminal Intentions: Season One #1)
  • Raze (Riven, #3)
  • Rend (Riven, #2)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)
  • Heartsong (Green Creek, #3)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Blackbird in the Reeds (The Rowan Harbor Cycle, #1)
Brooklyn Ray (They/Them/She/Her) started their career when they developed The Port Lewis Witches, a novella series about a group of Queer witches, necromancers and other magical creatures living and loving in a coastal Washington town. When they're not writing, Brooklyn can be found polishing crystals and offering tarot readings at a metaphysical shop in the Pacific Northwest. They also create rit ...more

Port Lewis Witches (4 books)
  • Darkling (Port Lewis Witches, #1)
  • Predatory (Port Lewis Witches #3)
  • Cyclone (Port Lewis Witches #4)

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...