Start by marking “Bocas” as Want to Read:

(Bocas Trilogy #1)

*Finalist—Tucson Festival of Books
*Finalist—IAN Book Awards
*Semifinalist—Kindle Book Awards

George thought he’d finally escaped Shawna by picking up an easy bartending gig in Bocas del Toro, Panama.

With an extra $400/month to edit an online love column keeping him afloat, he spends his days swimming and sinking beers with his roommate PJ.

Does the occasional female tourist
Published January 10th 2018 by Garbage Wagon

To ask other readers questions about Bocas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bocas

Start your review of Bocas
Hugh Gurin
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Damn fine beach noir. Hope someone makes a movie of it.
Jennie Rosenblum
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book takes place in Panama with the main character an American working in a Beach Bar – sounds like the perfect beach read for the summer – doesn’t it? George, the main character, has a strong heart and a dream job except for working for one of the largest drug lords in the area, the pollution and a few issues with the women in his life. I may not have been the target demographic for this book (I’m thinking 20-30’s) but I still enjoyed the naiveté of youth and the sense of chucking it all to ...more
Leanne
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, fun read. Ex-pat with a broken heart looking for... something. Things happen, setting up a sequel which I will buy and probably enjoy just as much.
natalie harrison
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pleasant surprise...I'm a new fan!

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters, writing style, sense of humor, and observations...(with some very important environmental ones!) Thomas M. Barron took a not so new tropical mystery plot and turned it into an awesome refreshing story! I'm looking forward to reading the next one!! :D
Billy Buttons
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: Bocas

Writing Style: 10/10
Content: 10/10
Cover: 9/10
Of the 20 readers:
20 would read another book by this author.
15 thought the cover was good or excellent.
20 felt it was easy to follow.
20 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
Of all the readers, 11 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘plotting a story’.
Of
Jeff Norburn
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked from the opening paragraph of Bocas: “Someone left a bump of cocaine on the top of the urinal. I finish, zip up, and grab a towel. It seems like a waste to clean it up and throw it away, but there’s already enough cocaine in Bocas.”

In just a few words, author Thomas Barron, sets the tone for his novel and lets the reader know that they are in for an engaging ride.

Bocas tells the tale of George, an American in his late twenties who is taking a break from disappointing setbacks in his
Doctor Moss
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great break from all the heavy, and I really enjoyed it.

The story takes place in a Panamanian neo-paradise, where the main character (George) has settled in for a break from life. His break from life, living at the beach and teaching kids to swim, may be turning into his life altogether. He’s split from his girlfriend (Shawna) and any career he might have had in journalism back in the US. And he’s living as roommates with PJ, from Australia, who lives the life of randomness, and Tsvik
James Huxhold
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The perfect escape from reality read. Thomas Barron writing style puts the reader immediately in a world that you don’t want to leave. Even the book itself feels great to hold in your hands. Thank goodness the vacation doesn’t have to end when you finish Bocas. Be sure to get Bronte and Bolinas, the other two books in the Trilogy. Best literary journeys that I’ve taken. Let’s hope Barron writes a fourth novel!
Liz
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those book that just flows from one thing to another and somehow keeps you reading to the very end. Enjoyed George and his cohorts (PJ, Raul, Tsvika, etc.) and the entire Bocas scene. It was a fast and fun read and I can't wait to see what's in store in Australia.
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
Eric Flynn
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Most of us can relate to that period of young adulthood where you're trying to figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life. Bocas takes this part of self-discovery and places it in a beautiful setting, adds a love story, adds a friendship layer and sprinkles in some grit, mystery and overall fun to create a truly engaging story. I pray it has a sequel and it comes out soon. ...more
Connie
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully and intelligently written, this book is full of wit, wry humor, twists and turns, and so much heart, as narrated by the very relatable main character - relatable in spite of what he finds himself embroiled in. More than just a fun beach read, it's choc full of life commentary that will give you pause and make you chuckle. Loved it. ...more
Brooke Sampson
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, clever, and at times poignant, Bocas is a highly enjoyable read, with memorable characters, including the Panamanian tourist town of Bocas itself. The friendship between the main character, George, and his roommate PJ gives the story a lot of heart.
Kaitlyn
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay this book is just Fantastic. Would give it a 100 star rating based on the fact that I read it within a week. I could not put it down. Thomas is an excellent writer, and a very favorite Author of mine. If you haven’t read this book... well what are you even doing with your life? READ THIS
Rob
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick

If you frequent to Costa Rica, Panama etc it’s something you can relate to. Quick read but entertaining. I’ll read the trilogy
gj indieBRAG
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that BOCAS by Thomas M. Barron is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
ashley chmielewski
Jun 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
George is such a likeable character and loved his perspective. Great mixture of romance and suspense/action. Part of trilogy which is a bonus because this will leave you wanting more!
Trina Branella
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was ok
Was not too impressed.

Good beach read though.
Laura Arciniegas
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so well thought out. The references to places and art are outstanding. Great use of vocabulary and entertaining quick read. Can not was for the second book!
Sarah Dircksen
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed Bocas.. So much so, that as soon as I got my hands on the sequel, I crushed it in a day.. cover to cover.. Couldn’t put it down. A very good read!
Glen
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

An American is hiding from life down in Panama, and encounters some shady characters, and pines away for a toxic woman.

Not too bad.
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good. I was immediately drawn in and I didn't want it to end. ...more
Coco Peezy
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Barron’s voice is distinct and witty; I thoroughly enjoyed keeping up with George’s internal babbles. Heavy dialogue between quirky characters drives the story along. I loved that you could never tell which way anything was going to go, until Barron took it there. I laughed out loud frequently! Looking forward to what goes on down under..
Elizabeth
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you are not reading this on vacation it will make you wish you were! This is the first in a three part series and I’ll read the next two for sure. Almost reads more like a screen play then a book - I can definitely see this being made into a movie.
Brianna Barros
Glenn Allen
May 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Heroes of the Frontier
  • See Her Die (Bree Taggert #2)
  • Find Me (Inland Empire #1)
  • The Silence (Columbia River #2, Callahan & McLane, #6)
  • Vessel of Strength (Time Pieces #2)
  • Buried
  • Her Last First Kiss (Last Chance Ranch Romance #1)
  • This Secret Thing: A Novel
  • Barracuda! (Team Reaper Thriller #9)
  • Judgment
  • The Last Monument
  • Let Her Be
  • The King of Crows (The Diviners, #4)
  • The Last Dance (The Near-Earth Mysteries, #1)
  • Child's Play
  • The Wall
  • The Debriefing
  • The Cipher (Nina Guerrera, #1)

Bocas Trilogy (3 books)
  • Bronte (Bocas Trilogy #2)
  • Bolinas (Bocas Trilogy Book 3)