Start by marking “In the Land of Milk and Honey” as Want to Read:
In the Land of Milk and Honey

In the Land of Milk and Honey

When Gabrielle “Bree” Valentine awoke in a hospital bed with a newborn baby, she centered herself and rebuilt. Bree didn’t think about her mental breakdown, lost memories, or the features of a stranger emerging daily in the face of the son she is raising alone. Five years later, on a weekend in the Hamptons, a chance encounter with a man unlike any other jars her—bone deep ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 516 pages
Published January 17th 2018 by Self Published

To ask other readers questions about In the Land of Milk and Honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Land of Milk and Honey

Whispering Stories
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Linda on www.whisperingstories.com

I chose this book to review because of the title. A promised land, something that is worth fighting for even though there maybe be lots of downs before the high. The book didn’t disappoint.

The story begins with a chance meeting of two people : Daniel and Gabrielle “Bree”. Daniel teetering on the edge of darkness, young Gabrielle at university just beginning her life on a night out with her step sister Vi and friend Jill, having got separated fro
Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)
3.5 stars rounded up

Before I start, I just have to say that I love this book cover. Book covers are so important and this one certainly is intriguing. The book synopsis...also very intriguing: Bree Valentine wakes up in a hospital room 5 months pregnant with no memories of getting there. Fast forward five years later and she meets this man and the gravitational pull between them sparks memories from a time she had forgotten. Could this mysterious man be the father?

If you watched Sex and the Cit
aniryllis
Jan 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Review

For all other reasons, I reconfirm: fuck this shit.

I'm glad she never finished the ff. She would've ruined it.

The hero is unredeemable.
The heroine is a doormat.
Still too many questions.

The book is waaaaaay too long and it needs editing, like A LOT. There are an unbelievable and embarrassing amount of typos and errors. (At some point the heroine was addressed as Mr. Valentine.)

Returned for refund.
Don't waste your time and money.

Pre-review

This story was never completed and here we are, 9
Andi Isack
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a little out of the genre I typically read. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a dark/mystery novel. But to hook up my interest it has to be really good written. All the magic when it comes to some mystery stuff depends on how the author creates and "feeds" it. In this case the author did a very good job. cuz the story is full of mystery and twists from the beginning to the end. It make your mind spin around trying to get the right answer to the main dilemma of the story. A question leads t ...more
Chele'
Apr 02, 2018 added it
I was asked to write an honest review from the author and that's what I'm going to do.

Immediately I was sucked into In the Land of Milk and Honey because the prologue was really exciting, riveting and had you wanting more. Sadly, that was the last time I felt this way during the book.

Daniel and Gabrielle's story is very unique and there was an air of mystery trying to determine how, where and why they conceived their son, Tristan. We start off the story with Gabrielle having no recollection of
Sky
I love second chance romance. Holy shit. The angst in this book!!! I was crying ugly tears. I was riveted by the mystery of what happened to Daniel and Gabrielle. Daniel is such an ass. Grrrr “And part of me hated him. Not little hate, a deep cutting gash of burning steel.” 😫😫😫😫 It’s not perfect (lots of typos, needs editing) but it gave me all the feels. Did I take a day off work yesterday to read this? Yes, yes I did. lol.
Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦
What a fascinating story! A mystery wrapped up in a romance wrapped up in a thriller.

“I was thinking I could lock the doors and hide you here, making you come into eternity, never to be seen by the world again. By no one, Gabrielle. I do not know how much longer I can pull softly.”

I enjoyed this very different book by a new-to-me author. The story is quite unique: Gabrielle has a 5 year old son but she has no memory of being pregnant or who the father might be. The mysterious Daniel Baird, w
Courtney
Apr 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Holy shit, this was bad. So, so bad. If I hadn’t been waiting 9 freakin’ years for the conclusion of this thing, I would have given up not even a page through the prologue (“‘Is this your innocence?’ he asked in a hoarse voice, but he knew.” Just...barf.).
Every single man in this, with the exception of maybe one or two, was creepy af. The way they talked all about women, except Virgin Mary Bella Swan (sorry, Gabrielle Valentine 🙄) was disgusting- but even she was “ruined”.
In addition, this book
Lori K
Jan 20, 2018 added it
Holy crap, I can't believe she finished this. I remember the fandom freaking out when she bailed on the fic 8 years ago. I bought it just so I could finish it.

ETA-

I admit that I did not re-read the original fanfic section but I referred to it (on pdf) for the names. Anyone reading this book will certainly remember the original twilight fanfic. The newer section is very different in writing style and tone. I guess that is understandable given that it's been so many years but I began to skim, it w
A. Norris
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I was immediately taken by the characters. The lead characters Bree and Daniel will be with me for a while. I can't get enough of a read that takes me to a world I'd set down everything else to be in. It unquestionably accomplished that (even with the typos). It was a haunting, emotional ride from the first page to the ending.
Brittany Elliser
3 star3 star (0%)
2 star2 star (0%)
1 star
20%
Share your thoughts with other customers
Write a customer review
Top customer reviews
Brittany Elliser
4.0 out of 5 starsMystery and Suspense mixed with some Romance
January 22, 2018
I was definitely intrigued by this story and found myself immersed in it very quickly upon starting it. I love when a book pulls you in and swallows up your attention. I lov
HoneyedPages
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
When I first checked out In the land of milk and honey, I wasn't sure if I would like it because of all the negative reviews I read. But, the blurb still intrigued me enough to start it.

The story grabbed my attention and I couldn't put it down most of the time because I wanted to know what would happen. There were mysteries and some twists (some which I found unnecessary though) that kept me interested enough to continue. I enjoyed the mystery and supportive friends who are like a family.

There
Book Snob Sue
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I did think this was a really good book, I was up late nights to read it. Daniel and Bree met over 5 years ago and had made a baby. Bree doesn’t remember that night or the months afterward. She with the help of her friends are raising their son. Her friends are interesting, I only really liked August...he’s adorable. When Daniel finally sees her again, he has a fiance, which is part of the reason I didn’t give this more stars. It seemed like it was in name only, but still not good and she sticks ...more
Krista
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

Have you ever read a book where you just couldn't put it down? And as you neared the end you wanted to take it slowly because you didn't want it to end? That the characters became so embedded in you that you didn't want to say goodbye just yet?

That was this story. I made myself slow down and even started chapters over just so I could soak it all in. This book hooked me from the first paragraph.

Gabrielle (Bree) was a college student in NYc studying to be a CPA. One night changed everything
Indie Wish List
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Could not put down. Gut-wrenching. Emotional on so many levels. Caused sleepless nights. I DREAMED about this book, okay? That’s how into my head it got. This book tore me apart. So much angst. So much anxiety-inducing but darn-do-I-love-it angst.

It’s a long book, but that’s okay. Those are my favorites. If I can finish a book in a couple of hours or a day, it’s not as satisfying. This book took me two and half days. It must be well over 100,000 words. Maybe even over 150,000. Awesome!

Anyway, G
Autumn
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Bree Valentine of today is a picture of responsibility. She runs her own furniture design firm and is a devoted mother to her young son. But there was a time when things were different. So tragically different that she somehow can’t bring herself to remember it.

A man haunts the shadows of her mind and she sees him every day in the face of her son. He shattered her mind and body so long ago. And now he’s come back for her soul.

No one ever warns you how fine the line is that separates love fro
Katy Ames
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To call this an epic romance would be an understatement. Ms. Douglas coaxes you into a story that is full of mystery, thrills, betrayals, battles, heartbreak, and passion. The result is a tale that sweeps you away. Daniel and Bree face innumerable challenges, but their love keeps pulling them back together - and the reader deeper and deeper into their story. I really enjoy a darker romance, one that has twists and turns that you don't see coming, and In the Land of Milk and Honey absolutely deli ...more
Kate Avery
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5/5

This book has been a very difficult book to rate it has changed quite a few times, there was so much I enjoyed about it but there were other parts that really could have knocked it down a little, hopefully I’ll be able to let you know why without spoiling anything.

What I will start with saying is that I had a hard time putting this book down, I really got absorbed into the story and I have definitely been thinking about it since I finished reading it. It was a bit of a rollercoaster
Kristina Montigny
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have mixed emotions about this book. The blurb was very intriguing, as was the story, and for me, it was kind of addicting. I wanted to know what was going on, what the heck was happening, but there were also parts of the story that was just odd. It is a pretty long book, and it took me awhile to read it, but I did find it enjoyable.

Okay, so... in the first part of the book, it's getting to know the characters, and there are a lot of side characters and getting to know the main character Bree.
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tf
The mystery is around “Bree” and her newborn baby (although not so newborn when we meet him), her lost memories, her apparent breakdown but what happened? Where is the father of the child? Who is the father of the child? And who is Daniel Hawthorne Baird II?

Gabrielle Valentine, Bree to her friends and family, has a gorgeous five-year-old boy, the opening part of the book focuses on who is his dad, and what secrets is she hiding? Months of memories have been lost following one night with a myster
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
I was not in love with this book - But still an OK read for the summer. I had trouble getting into it at first and couldn't connect with any of the characters (and some of them I actually hated). But I will say - it did get better after the middle! Quite a few reviewers liked the first half of the book better while I liked the last half LOL. To each their own.

As far as character development - it was good I just didn't like them! I liked Bree but actually hated Daniel, and I didn't like her frien
Haddie Harper
DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN ARC OF THIS BOOK, VIA XPRESSO BOOK TOURS, FOR MY PARTICIPATION IN A BLOG TOUR. THIS IS MY HONEST, VOLUNTARY REVIEW.

I was very excited when I read the premise of this book. I'm not thoroughly invested in suspense storylines, but I found this one to be a major exception. It's a hook-line-sinker kind of read. There were some moments where I just wanted to hide under my blanket. But for me, that is a sign of good writing. If an author can make the reader feel that way, it's
Barbara Hightower
Jan 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
When I bought this I hoped I would enjoy it. Especially when I saw my favorite Author sharing it on Twitter. However I was completely disappointed. So much so that I am unable to finish it. I got up to the creepy part about the main character and her friends sitting outside of her son's school starting through the gate. Grown adults don't do that, even in books. That's a reason teachers have to call the cops.

It's also really hard to get passed all of the errors in spelling, sentence structure,
Kelly
This wasn't great but it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be based on reviews. I never read it as a fanfic and it does have a lot of errors and some parts just make no sense at all. It had so much potential though so that is what is to bad in my opinion. There should have been so much more depth with Bree and Daniel, and the ending was good but it left me feeling like we should have been able to see them as a couple with their son together.
Stacy
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't read many romantic suspense books so this book is a little out of my element. Nell Douglas is also an author I've never read before so I was excited to see what the story would bring. I had high expectations for it and felt it didn't live it to it. After reading the blurb, I was intrigued. It had a great storyline but was also confusing and hard to follow at times. It was long and drawn out and the ending felt rushed. Enjoyable read; I didn't love the story but I liked it.
Stacie McGlaughlin
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really think that this is a great book! I loved the characters and they pull you into their lives and you want to know what happens to them. You become hooked right from the beginning. I would love to read additional books about the other characters in the book as well. Loved it! <3
Samia
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s been a while since a book left me so hungover. I really loved this amazing roller coaster of emotion. Daniel and Gabrielle’s story is everything you expect to read in a story and so much more. Filled with heartbreak love. It’s a well deserved 5 stars for me ♥ ...more
Kat Alexander
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My review will be featured on http://indiewishlist.weebly.com on June 14th.

I will say here, though, that, days later, I still can't get this book off my mind.
Sonya
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super addictive story, I was sad when I flipped to the very last page! I really liked the cover too.
Stephanie
I can't believe this was a popular and highly rated fanfic that people waited over 9 years for because what?! No stars!
Nell E. S. Douglas has possessed a deep, abiding love for written words since childhood.

Her first stories, penned on the lined pages of class notebooks, were inspired by her mother’s poetry and epic tales of travel, and a professorial inquisitiveness inherited from her father. Following college in Florida, Nell exited the world of pure imagination, and entered the one of business, successfully es