Start by marking “Persephone” as Want to Read:
Persephone

Persephone

This is an alternate format edition - ISBN 13: 978-1-946698-03-02.)

In his ancient hymns, Homer tells us of the unyielding Lord of the Dead who kidnapped the innocent daughter of Demeter. He tells us quite a bit, in fact, for someone who wasn’t there.

Persephone is no tragic victim, but a kind young woman held in place by her overbearing mother. A failed scheme by Apollo lea
Published 2017 by Hiveworks

Start your review of Persephone
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Don't go for this graphic novel willingly unless you're ready to cringe.

I pick flowers too. And it's a well-liked profession. At least for me 💓 So, please don't make fun of Persephone when she tells you what she does.

And that one page of lovesick Hades put down by a quiver of red heart arrows. Love that page. Actually obsessed with that!

I love the illustrations the most in this graphic novel.

There isn't much plot to tell the truth. Just expect to enjoy a good show with Disney like artwork with
Alexandra
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this mature retelling of the myth, without any kind of abduction. The art is wonderful and with ethical problems. I do hope that the artist will make a similar comic about Eros and Psyche.
The Library Ladies
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

Ever since I was a kid I’ve been completely taken with the Persephone and Hades myth. I’m not sure if it’s because Hades is the original Depressive Demon Nightmare Boy, or that I’ve always loved the idea of a Queen of the Dead, but their romance and (part time) joint rule of the Underworld is one of my favorite pieces of mythology. As such, I’m always looking for adaptations of it. Sadly, I haven’t really found many to my liking outside of a few c
Robert Kirwan
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a B.E.Autiful little book!! I’d read it again to just get lost in the artwork!! Story was light and fluffy and more adult than the art style would belay at points!! Would recommend for a quick read which is nice and fluffy!! Very cute and endearing.

Not quite a 5 star read though. Just not enough substance for that but this is a book I will re-read and delight in the gorgeous artwork and fluffy light-hearted story!! Always anything with Greek gods is a plus in my book
Kit (Metaphors and Moonlight)
3 Stars

Review:
I had been searching for a graphic novel about Hades and Persephone, something with a sweet romance rather than a dark, erotic one, when I stumbled upon the Kickstarter campaign for this, the exact thing I was looking for. But, even though I did like some things about this, I ended up being disappointed. I liked how this author/artist kept the same general story but made it into her own version with little twists and variations. I love the idea of good guy Hades and of his romance
Shironeesan
3.5 ⭐

Super cute version of Hades and Persephone myth, this couple always melts my heart. I also love the artist's unique style and the color palette. Unfortunately I found it a bit too short for all the different themes and characters that were introduced, it felt rushed and things definitely escalated too quickly.

Obviously recommended to greek mythology fans and those who seek a bit of romance in life.
Kelsey
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a truly sweet comic that does an excellent job translating traditional myths to a more modern story. The characters were all fleshed out very nicely. Even in a slim story, Shaw was able to capture the essence of these classic mythological characters. The artwork was simple but beautiful -- I loved the use of a limited color palette throughout the book.

Unfortunately, I feel like large portions of the plot were missing. The story progressed at such a breakneck pace that I felt rushed just
Cassie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable, sweet, cute, etc etc etc.

The classic myth, retold as a fluffy romance. I wasn't expecting much depth but actually a whole host of side characters came across as very fleshed out in a very short space of time! I especially liked Eros, Thanatos and Mynthe. I was also worried it looked slightly simplistic, but it's a lovely balance of simple and stylistic.
Shelby Brynn
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why are there not more Persephone and Hades adaptions in the world?? One of my favorite pairings!

This was very cute and the art was beautiful, I love when comics have such a strong color scheme. It got a little steamy in some places, but nothing too crazy.

All in all, I loved it and I wish there was more.
Kaila
Short and sweet, with a great spin on the classic myth. I never thought I would find this relationship cute - a relationship that normally starts with rape - but here we are. Really hard to get a hold of a copy but I was able to borrow it from a friend.
Cindy Wilkerson
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I only know the very bare bones of Hades and Persephone’s story, so I don’t have much to say about how faithful it is. But what I can say is the art is beautiful, and I wish it was longer!
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
I love reading different takes on the Hades and Persephone myths. This is quite possibly my favorite so far. Beautifully illustrated, and incredible sweet (and sexy) - highly recommended!
DJL
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice retelling of Hades and Persephone! Handled much better than Homer's original tale, though that seems to be the norm with modern interpretations, thank goodness.

Fans of the webcomic, Lore Olympus, will likely enjoy this comic as will other HadesxPersephone shippers (like me). :)

Also, if you're looking for other *ahem* mature retellings, try Receiver of Many by Rachel Alexander.
Grace W
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: speculative, comic
YES HI THIS BOOK IS MY LIFE
T
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars because it wasn’t long enough
Lauren
I supported the Kickstarter for this graphic novel last year and read it again today. It's a gorgeous retelling; I love the art and story so, so much. ...more
Betty Bluestocking
I might have to shell out for a hard copy.

Hades and Persephone are my favorite odd couple, and this version of their story packs so much thematic loveliness into drawings that are sleek and deliberate like manga but also made me think of Mucha. The color palette is really cool- all these muted oranges and golds against striking black, white and red.

I love how the characters are drawn and conceived. Curious, sensual Persephone's fiery hair roils and tumbles around her head and her bosom threate
Constanza Gomez
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I edited my review and give it 4 stars because of the artwork that is seriously beautiful. I mean SUPER beautiful.

But for the story, I'd just give two or three stars. It's quite basic. It doesn't have anything too distinctive compared to most of HadesxPersephone retellings.
But my main problem is about the transitions between chapters. They felt too sudden, at first I thought my PDF had pages missing. It jumped from one scene to another with not much relation. Or it just summarized things that w
ElphaReads
This is an adorable and kind of steamy adaptation of one of my favorite myths. I've always loved the Persephone story and have always had a huge love for her and Hades's relationship. While the original myth is absolutely problematic when applied to today's standards, if you want something a little more updated this will possibly fit the bill. It gives Persephone more agency, it gives Hades some WONDERFUl brooding and conflict, and it has a sweet and sexy romance. Is it a loosey goosey interpret ...more
Cameron Toney
The only problem with this lovely little graphic novel is that it's not long enough.
I gave always been particularly fond of Hades, he's a very interesting gods. And his relationship with Persephone is one of the more intriguing stories in all of ancient mythology, so I am always glad to find a retelling, particularly one with gorgeous art.
I wish it was longer! I wish it had more room to expand the story, giving it more room to expand the story further, and to spend even more time with the deligh
Eliza Jade
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It was so sweet and amazing and I was so happy when I found out it was already produced and available. I am very glad that Allison Shaw got the funding she justly deserved this comic was just amazing I cannot sing the praises high enough. The art was beautiful and clear, a lot of love went into production. I couldn't stop smiling while reading it, it tied in my favorite other myths and made Persephone the powerful goddess I knew she was. Her and Hades' relationship ...more
Sasha
this book is both completely pure and wholly erotic. persephone is soft as hell and has a body to die for. hades is an emo boy who doesn't want to love persephone but he's been literally hit by love and she's so beautiful (inner and outer) he can't help it. and everyone falls for persephone but in a way where she's both really good to people and really hot. she makes flowers bloom when she's happy (mostly when she orgasms). the story is one of the best retellings i've read. kudos to the artist/a ...more
Savvy
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first few sections were 5/5 stars. Then the over the top smut was just really unnecessary and uncomfortable. I knew there’d be some smut, and I’m fine with smut usually, but it was just... ridiculous? I did love the characters. They all seemed so real in such a short story. I can only imagine how much I would have loved this story had it gone on even longer with more stories, backgrounds, development, and story building like Lore Olympus has.
Owen
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful art and a fun retelling of the myth of Persephone and Hades. Allison Shaw knows her mythology; she actually works in related background myths such as Orion, Psyche, and Daphne. I especially like hope much agency she gave Persephone.

This does have some explicit content, so adults should look at it first before giving it to a younger audience.
Amanda
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An adorable, romantic (and a little sexy) retelling of the original Greek myth (now with enthusiastic consent in place of kidnapping!). The art is beautiful, and the characters are fun reimaginings. I only wish there was more.
Katy
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was such a cute read and a fun reimagining of the Persephone myth that gave Persephone a lot of agency and choice, which makes it infinitely more enjoyable than the original myth. Did I mention how beautiful the art was? Gorgeous! Shaw achieved so much with such a simple color palate; I definitely want to follow her other works now. Shaw ties together a ton of seemingly unrelated myths in this volume as well, such as Atalanta's race, Daphne and Apollo, Psyche and Eros, which work to give mo ...more
Jenny M.
I wanted to like this more than I did. As someone who likes mythology, this was something I had wanted to read for a while. And, don't get me wrong, it isn't that bad. I would still recommend reading it.

The character designs are great, as are the visuals (Allison Shaw went with a color scheme with this one - lots of whites, blacks, reds, and golds). The reader can easily tell who is who, for the most part - some of the more minor characters are harder to guess, such as Thanatos and Minthe.

I li
A.M.G. ☮Hippie/Fantasia☮
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone 14+ (for adult themes)
Rating: 5+++++++ / 5

As if I didn't know that it would be already, this was an insta-favourite.

The art was just gorgeous, and I especially love the colouring, how calm it made me feel and really think "Greek", "Olympus", "forest", "nymphs", and so on.

I also love the expressions of the characters, how they're all related to each other and how they interact. It really is a fun interpretation of Greek mythology on Allison Shaw's part, and I'm impressed with how well she managed to illustrate it as w
Jen
Mar 27, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really cute but over way too quickly!

I can see if the author didn't want a long, drawn out story, but I think the premise that was set up would have benefitted from being expanded and showing more of the relationship between Persephone and Hades (and seeing more of the other characters in general). But alas, it's not to be. This was still a wonderful adaptation of the myth.

I also would LOVE to see a story about Eros and Psyche, but I don't think that will ever happen.

And can I just say that I l
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: ebook and paperback with same ISBN? 3 23 Jan 18, 2018 03:41PM

• Dull Margaret
  • Receiver of Many (Hades & Persephone, #1)
  • Ne m'oublie pas
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Toph Beifong's Metalbending Academy (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Asuras Bride
  • Sunstone, Vol. 1
  • You Brought Me the Ocean
  • Snow, Glass, Apples
  • Bear
  • Destroyer of Light (Hades & Persephone, #2)
  • Cheer Up: Love and Pompoms
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Avengers: The Children's Crusade