Start by marking “Running Out of Space” as Want to Read:
Running Out of Space

Running Out of Space

(Sunblinded #1)

Lizzy Wright has yearned to serve on the space merchant ship Shooting Star for as long as she can remember – until one rash act changes everything…

Lizzy and her friends weren’t looking for trouble – all they’d wanted was to prove that fertile English girls could handle themselves when on shore leave without being accompanied by a sour-faced chaperone and armed guard. Looki
Published January 2018

To ask other readers questions about Running Out of Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Out of Space

Donna
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this I found it kind of hard to connect and get involved in the story. It was slow going. But, I have to say this may be because of coming down from a book hangover or even my mood. I did have a bit of a book hangover before I started this one. So, I would never take stars off for my problems getting into it, because most likely it was not the failing of the author.

Elizabeth or Lizzy, as she is most commonly referred to, is a wonderful protagonist. My favorite kind a
Siobhan
Running Out of Space is the first book in S.J. Higbee’s Sunblinded series. It’s one of those books where I’m a bit torn when it comes to giving a rating, as in the end I’d like to give a point-five-star rating. Therefore, even though I have given it a three-star rating, know it is more of a three-point-five star read.

In truth, I was a little bit unsure about whether or not I wished to read this one. A part of me was intrigued, but another part of me was unsure as to whether it was really for me.
Laura Thomas
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I used to avoid science fiction books. Figured they’d be full of techie jargon I couldn’t get my mind around. Then I gave it a go and found some fun books, including this one by S.J. Higbee. She does a great job of making me feel comfortable and before I know it, I’m not thinking about genre. I’m thinking about the characters. The trouble they get themselves into. What’s waiting for me on the next page. And almost forgetting that this takes place in space.

So, yeah, four young ladies, Lizzy, Sonj
Rae Stoltenkamp
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The action is full on from the very first page of this read. The majority of the story takes place onboard a spaceship run by an uncompromising military minded captain. There’s tension between characters from the get go as the feisty babes’ forbidden territory shore leave jaunt finds them in a very tight spot. As Lizzy is desperate to shrug off her fertile female label, be an officer and love whomever she pleases, there are echoes of The Handmaid’s Tale. Fertile women are essentially used as bre ...more
Jan
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this space opera. It's well-written and hard to put down once you start reading it. Lots of adventure, tense moments and good world building. Elizabeth is a great character. I like that she's self-confident and strong and that her first reaction is to defend those in trouble. However, she's a nuanced character because even though she's self-confident and even though she see's her own weaknesses she can still be blindsided by them. I can't wait to read more about her.

Full disclosur
Michael P Whitfield
Good read

Fast paced story with interesting characters. The life style on the ship's and the planet's work to help reader understand feeling of people.
Mike Taylor
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full bodied S\F

Firmly set in a believable future (in the best tradition of "what if")a young woman discovers secrets about her life.
Ashley Knapp
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

When I read read the blurb for Running Out of Space by S. J. Higbee I knew I wanted to be apart of the blog tour and review it. I am so glad I signed up to host! I really enjoyed this first installment of the Sunblinded trilogy.

I enjoy when a world is set in the future. It is always fun to see how the author sees it from their PoV. Running Out of Space is no different. The world is interesting and I can not wait to find out more as the series continues. I like the idea of traveling through
Sylvia
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well written but depressing

Well written but found it too depressing. Reminded me a bit of Margaret Atwoods "The Handmaids Tale". Certainly conveys how trapped the main character is. Just too dark for my taste.
Jerome’s Cat
Elizabeth
May 18, 2018
Alan T
Jun 01, 2018
Born the same year as the Russians launched Sputnik, I confidently expected that by the time I reached adulthood, the human race would have a pioneer colony on the Moon and be heading off towards Mars. So I was at a loss to know what to do once I realised the Final Frontier wasn’t an option and rather lost my head - I tried a lot of jobs I didn’t and married a totally unsuitable man.

Now I've final

Sunblinded (3 books)
  • Dying For Space (Sunblinded #2)
  • Breathing Space (Sunblinded, #3)