Start by marking “Ragnekai Winds (The Old Wounds Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Ragnekai Winds (The Old Wounds Trilogy #1)

Ragnekai Winds

(The Old Wounds Trilogy #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  29 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"There are those for whom old wounds run deep. There are those who do not forget the past. A kingdom without a king. A realm without a ruler. There are those who will see this as a sign. A sign to rise and take back what was theirs."
The debut novel of a Brit living in Japan who grew up on Tolkien, Fighting Fantasy, Forgotten Realms and Star Wars. The realm of Ragnekai is
Published January 16th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Ragnekai Winds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ragnekai Winds

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Ragnekai Winds (The Old Wounds Trilogy #1)
Carrie Chi Lough
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I stumbled upon this author and this series in a writers and reading group. I didn't know what to expect from this book but man, was it an excellent adventure. The characters themselves were a breathe of fresh air from the typical grim/fantasy genre. I really loved how realistic they were. Generals in the military were actually NOT experts on everything and would make bad decisions..the couple of young characters in this book were believable in their mannerisms and also made deadly mistakes..
Thi
Glen
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, firstreads
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

When the King of a land dies, there is a power struggle in the vacuum. Several people want to rule the land, and several outlying area want to secede.

It's okay, but never quite gels for me.
Christi M
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
Ragnekai Winds is the first book in a fantasy trilogy where kingdoms and characters make their play for more land and more power.

Thoughts:
The story starts at the death bed of King Sedmund. Several are gathered around him providing him words of comfort or false hopes of a speedy recovery. However, he succumbs to death, and in doing so leaves a land potentially in chaos because he has named no heir with more than one individual capable of taking power.

Officially, Ragnekai Winds begins the day afte
Elle Lewis
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Buckmaster has created an engrossing tale, one that draws the reader in immediately. The world building is superb. The Realm of Ragnekai feels real. The civilizations are three dimensional and fleshed out, all with unique and individual cultures that come alive on the page.

Ragnekai Winds has a large cast, and the story is told from many different perspectives. Buckmaster effortlessly switches between character POV's. The transitions are seamless and easy to follow.
R.V.
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fairly well crafted tale in which series of events build upon each other from different intertwined perspectives. The world building in it is good, and the dialogue believable. There are some minor continuity errors (a mare referred to as him, and a character with an injured left ankle, favouring the right). All in all it is an enjoyable read.
Hitomi S
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating characters and thrilling story drew me into their world very naturally. I especially love the characters. They made me feel warm or sad with them so easily and that was fun :) Enjoyed thoroughly, can't wait the next book!
Rebecca
Masterfully crafted

This book is amazing!!! The introduction to the characters was intriguing, and the way they are developed made me feel close to them. I never wanted to let them go. There is a true art in making truly endearing characters that make a reader feel closely to them without them actually being real. This book was such a pleasure to read. The author has an art to create a beautiful world with characters that make you want to live in it. I enjoyed the different characters and was gen
Pegboard
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In that magical time of reigning monarchs and wars between lords, captains, and clergy comes Ragnekai Winds by Peter Buckmaster. The Sovereign King Sedmund has died without an heir or proclaiming a predecessor what is the country to do? King Sedmund's grandfather was the one who united the countries of Ragnekai. But some saw it more as an invasion and look forward to a time when they can take back what was rightfully theirs.

Ragnekai Winds is written with a flare of mystique and strategies of war
Paul
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong fantasy title that kept me engaged. An imaginative story with interesting, well-crafted characters. Not a big fan of cliff-hangers, but otherwise a good book.

I really appreciate the copy for review!!
Mary
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kept my interest from the first page to the last
Sara
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book took an embarrassingly long time to finish but I received a free copy during a tough time in my life and many things were put on hold.

I read a lot of fantasy which makes me picky; so many authors get influenced by their own reading & I find it disconcerting to have little bits of other fantasies intrude! I was pleasantly surprised that while this contains the elements typical to many story lines, it seems to shine with its own light. Also, for parents, while there are definitely evil c
Karl
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable read!

I really enjoyed reading this book! Strongly recommended if you love the fantasy genre. Just about the right length and the right level of character development - not too long-winded and not overly complicated. Watch out for some surprising twists and some good dramatic moments.
Rene
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun to read

Good characters with adventures and mystery.
Cliffhanger ending and the next book not due out until end 2018.
Just have to wait
Katherine Hebert
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Superb

It takes a really good author to take a story with many complex features and turn it into something that the reader can easily follow. That happens here. This story doesn’t deviate far from the traditional fantasy storyline but has such great character depth and so many details that make the plot flow that it stands out amongst its peers. The book is the first in the series but it ends on a satisfying note of its own accord. A definite must read for fantasy lovers.
Rani
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Won in a goodreads giveaway. It was ok. It felt a bit amateurish to read. There were plenty of details but not enough to make it feel lush or realistic. I found that when I started to like a character they were killed off, and the story line was fairly predictable.
Obsidianflame
Nov 19, 2018
Shantel May
May 08, 2020
Karon H
rated it did not like it
Apr 30, 2018
Sweetpea
Apr 16, 2018

• Boomwild
  • The Thin Gray Line
  • Tap Sapiens (Reign of Sapiens' Evil (R.O.S.E.) #1)
  • The Bangover (The Bangover #1)
  • The Sober Journey: A Guide to Prayer and Meditation in Recovery
  • Leadership And Life Hacks: Insights From A Mom, Wife, Entrepreneur & Executive
  • The Book of Daniel and the Mystery of the Resurrection Machine
  • Supernova Era
  • The Unexpected Truth About Animals: A Menagerie of the Misunderstood
  • Tokyo Kill (Jim Brodie #2)
  • Two Journeys
  • The Mindful Place of Calm: Find Your Way Into the Space Between Thoughts & Actions
  • Can The Mind Be Quiet?: Living, Learning and Meditation
  • Stranger Things Have Happened
  • The Best American Magazine Writing 2018
  • The Little Book of Energy Healing Techniques: Simple Practices to Heal Body, Mind, and Spirit
  • An American Spy (Milo Weaver #3)
  • Japantown (Jim Brodie #1)
Peter was born and raised in England (Basingstoke, then Maidenhead), with a couple of years in California when he was 7-8 years old. He studied French, Spanish and English Lit. at A-Level, planning to continue with languages at university.

However, he felt the need to do something new so studied philosophy at Warwick University. Seeing a flyer for the JET Programme one day in the philosophy common

The Old Wounds Trilogy (2 books)
  • Ragnekai Moons: Book Two of The Old Wounds Trilogy