Start by marking “Le sourire étrange de l'homme poisson” as Want to Read:
Le sourire étrange de l'homme poisson

Le sourire étrange de l'homme poisson

Ned est mon frère jumeau.
Nous sommes inséparables.
Mais Ned est malade et j'ai peur.
Aujourd'hui, nous avons trouvé une créature étrange sur le plage et je suis sûr que ce n'est pas un hasard.
Est-elle venue pour sauver mon frère ?
Published January 11th 2018 by Seuil Jeunesse (first published April 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Le sourire étrange de l'homme poisson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le sourire étrange de l'homme poisson

Esther
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ondanks dat dit boek iets meer voor jongere kinderen is, heb ik erg genoten van dit boek. Wat een prachtig verhaal!
Joost
Alweer een heel mooi veerhaal van Tom Avery! Recensie zal verschijnen op mijn blog.
Jake Castaneda
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This my my review on the book, "Not As We Know It" by Tom Avery. I really enjoyed this book, as it is filled with mystery and wonderful tension like feeling which glued me to the story. This book is more on the short-read side of books, as it has 159 pages. The book has events which pass by quickly, but they very welly executed and they make the story great. The way this story was built was a perfect way to put them together and make a great story.
This book is about a two brothers, Jamie and Ne
Clarabel
Un roman qui parle de la mer et de la famille. Tout ce que j'aime. C'était doux, poétique et plein de finesse. Bouleversant, mais vraiment bien.
Tasha
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Jamie and Ned are twins growing up together on a tiny island in the English Channel. They love to do things as a pair, from scouring the beaches for treasures that wash up from the sea to watching Star Trek on DVD. But Ned is not well. He is fighting cystic fibrosis and the most recent treatments don’t seem to be working. Then one day, the brothers find a strange creature on the beach. It is hurt and they carry it to their garage where they fill a tub with saltwater and care for it. It’s like no ...more
Lynda Schmidt
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
Lovely story with quality writing. Think would be best for grades 4 - 6 - though, as true with so many books in this age group, heartbreaking. I appreciated the honesty in thinking about how the twins related to one another and the needs of each. Recommended it for a grade 4 classroom read aloud so am interested to learn how this goes. May update my feed post listening.
Shy Bradford
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i stepped away from anything i normally have pick up and read the first chapter of this before realizing how hard it is for me to get into fantasy. just not something i can get into
Rachael
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: made-me-cry
I liked it but I wasn't crazy about it. The story is a beautifully sad tale of two twin brothers, their relationship and their adventures together. You really get the feel of the place where they live near the beach and what their life is like. I think my favourite character was the Grandad, his tales of past times really resonated with me as my Grandma loves to tell me tales of her town and the people who live there.

I liked the Star Trek quotes throughout the book, I don't know how a person wou
Engel Dreizehn
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-2016
It was a short read but pleasant read...found it a poetic style musings of a boy emotionally dealing with two major unknowns in his current life. The unknown health of his brother and the unknown place he;ll be going to and the creature from an unknown place that ended up int heir known world plus learning to live to through this situation.
This felt very similar to the author's previous book. Very sad. A quick read and likely helpful to kids trying to understand grief/sickness.

Thanks to the publisher for a digital advance reader's copy, provided via Edelweiss.
Julie
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as it is on the Peter's Junior Book Awards shortlist. A bittersweet tale of twin brothers and how their lives are affected by a discovery on the beach...
Alena
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a middle grade novel about letting go.

Twin brothers, Jamie and Ned, live on a small isle along the English Channel in the 1980s. They love Star Trek, ET, biking, exploring, adventures, the sea, and treasure hunting (beach combing after storms). They learn a lot about the sea and geography from their grandfather who used to be a ship captain. Ned has cystic fibrosis, his health condition continues to worsen. Despite this, as Jamie will admit, he is the bolder of the twins. Jamie says tha
Tlwinky
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a big surprise. I expected a silly story about two boys finding a sea creature on the beach. That happened, but there is so much more in this short fantasy. Twins Jamie and Ned have always been very different: Jamie is healthy, strong, and tends to be cautious, while Ned, who suffers from Cystic Fibrosis, has always been daring and impulsive. Ned's illness has progressed by the time the boys find a humanoid fish creature washed up by a storm, who they sneak home and keep in a tub i ...more
Dee Kohler
Sad story about brothers living by the sea in England. Ned, has cystic fibrosis and is getting sicker each day. While out treasure hunting along the ocean’s edge, the boys find a strange creature that has been caught in a fisherman’s net. They bring it home. Ned’s brother Jamie thinks the creature is a merman come to make Ned better. The story reminds me of movies I’ve watched recently, Ondine or The Shape of Water. Mystical creatures sent to help pave the way for new lives. Recommend carefully ...more
Maria
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-just-ok
I thought this book was going to be about the fish/monster/mermaid the boys found....a good mystery....but it is not. Yes there this merman character but the story is really about the two boys. One is very sick and that is the real focus of the book. Not about the maermaid :-( so there are no thrilling details.

Clean language - good for 4/5/6 graders. A little sad at the end b/c you know death is coming. But death does not mean an end, but of a life that was lived and one that should be lived ---
Kim
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of like ET, but even more sad. It was written for kids, but it wrenched my heart. The story is good, but super heart-wrenching. It was hard to rate it higher because of the sadness, and yet it stuck with me, and the writing is really good. As a children's librarian I understand its value. I will carry it in my library, and yet it will be a hard book to offer children as a go-to-for-pleasure reading title. This was so hard to rate.
Ellie Labbett
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bereavement, fantasy
A very enjoyable text that smoothly blends elements of fantasy and reality into one. I felt that Avery
handled the topic of Cystic Fibrosis in a realistic way, which would definitely be beneficial for children who know little about the disease, as well as those suffering with the disease. The story is quite a page turner that I would definitely recommend to someone looking to branch out into themes of loss and bereavement.
Elisabeth
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cried at page 90 for a while, then i started crying at page 115 and didn’t stop until I finished the book.

I’m not sure if all of the information about CF was 100%, seeing as i wasn’t alive and living with CF yet in the 80s, but they did do treatments consistently, and they mentioned taking other treatments than percussion (fun fact: when I was really little I actually did do percussion)

I liked it.
Ashley
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-novels
A beautiful, dark little tale. Perfect for reading on a rainy day when you are prepared to be sad for fictional characters. I would love a story with a character who lives, not dies, with cystic fibrosis but this was a beautiful magical realism story that puts a pleasant spin on death. Gorgeous. Wish I hadn't read it on a plane, sobbing between two uncomfortable strangers.
Megan Webb
A touching and poetic read. Would be a useful book to educate children about cystic fibrosis and look at themes such as bereavement. The illustrations were also a beautiful touch to go alongside a great story.
Heidi
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story about brothers, illness and adventure. Sad but moving.
Steve Owens
It took me some time to get into this book. I didn't feel as connected to the characters as I thought I would by the end.
Séan Brazier
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and sad and 'very very moving'. It made Billy and I cry.
S
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty intense middle grade novel. I loved the setting and friendship between these 2 brothers. Quick read for a rainy day.
Marie
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fiction
Holy cow, this is up there with A Monster Calls with its ability to rip your heart out.
Shannon Ozirny
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, kids-fiction
This book is insanely gorgeous and heartbreaking and funny and I will never forget it.
Alice
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Clemence
This was a very touching and heartbreaking story about two twin brothers, desease, loss and a little hint of magic. Perfect combo to make readers both cry and hope at the same time.
WKPL Children's/YA Books
Miss Lori read this book. Great story about the love of brothers and some of the weird stuff they do.
5th grade through 7th grade would enjoy this.
  • Avenging the Owl
  • The Perfect Place
  • Ebb and Flow
  • The Unexpected Life of Oliver Cromwell Pitts
  • The Best Worst Thing
  • Beautiful Blue World (Beautiful Blue World #1)
  • A Week without Tuesday (Tuesday McGillycuddy, #2)
  • Eidi: The Children of Crow Cove
  • Withering-By-Sea (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #1)
  • Night on Fire
  • The Classy Crooks Club
  • The Swallow: A Ghost Story
  • The Wizard's Scepter (The Keepers, #3)
  • Ms. Bixby's Last Day