Start by marking “Painless” as Want to Read:
Painless

Painless

What readers are saying...

"...most definitely a recommended read, though it's probably not the best choice for those with a weak stomach."

"Gruesome and twisted. Awesome!!!"

"OMG this book. Holy heck the gruesome descriptions of blood and gore and guts was SO RAD. I found myself cringing and fidgeting and yes, even feeling a bit nauseous in some spots - but totally in a GOOD
Paperback, 1, 284 pages
Published January 18th 2018 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Painless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Painless

✨Tamara
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good? Bad? I don't know 😲
"For Greg Owens, this was supposed to be a chance to end years of back pain and escape his reliance on pain pills. If it all worked out, he could maybe even get back the life he left behind as the pills took control.
Instead, as the patients are cured of their physical pain, they encounter a different sort of pain building inside them – obsessive thoughts, depression, self-destruction. The side-effects grow worse, and the suspense ratchets tighter. The patients want answe
Kate Vocke
Excuse me for a second, while I go barf. OMG this book. Holy heck the gruesome descriptions of blood and gore and guts was SO RAD. I found myself cringing and fidgeting and yes, even feeling a bit nauseous in some spots - but totally in a GOOD WAY! Painless was exactly what I wanted in a super-unique, creepy, shocking horror-thriller.

Greg Owens is in pain. A LOT of pain. He fell off a ladder on a construction job, injuring his back, and his entire life has gone to shit. He lost his wife, his kid
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Good lawd, this debut novel! If you had chronic pain that you had to self medicate and it caused you to basically lose the most important things in your life... wouldn't you want to go into a clinical trial to take it all away? I've been dealing with some slight back pain for the past few weeks and am just about to this point (might be exaggerating a little). I just want the pain to go away!

Enter Dr. Dante Menta (D. Menta, ha!). A group of people are going through the procedure and while it did
Irene
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this book mainly focuses on Greg and how his desperation to be rid of chronic pain has led him to become a patient of Dr. D Menta, your basic mad scientist type who sets up a "hospital" in the middle of nowhere, the better to conduct his experiments. The second half is a gruesome gore fest as Greg sees the violent after effects of the patients before him who have already undergone Dr. D Menta's procedure to rid them of chronic pain. It will make you squirm and cringe in all the ...more
Sherry Fundin
Okay…I see where the title came from.

Intense, excruciating, debilitating, paralyzing, nonstop pain. Drugs and more drugs. What if there was a cure, instead of just treating symptoms?

Going from barely making it through the day, to jumping and dancing for joy, seeing the day in a whole new light.

How far will the patient go? Even more important, how far will the doctor go?

Well, if something is that good, there must be a down side. What about the side affects? What about if you knew what would happe
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
This gruesome and graphic read is absolutely mind-blowing and keeps you chomping at the bit with every turn of the page. I honestly felt repulsed at times and my stomach churned over and over again while reading this diabolical read. Full of horrific turns which in turn makes it into my top five reads of this year.

{I requested a copy for reviewing purposes and made no guarantee of a favorable review. The opinions expressed herein are unbiased and my own.}
Jaime
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an exceptionally well written novel. I'm not entirely familiar with the horror-thriller genre, but I am an avid reader, and this book did not disappoint. The author did a great job at keeping the story moving while thoroughly capturing the setting in exquisite detail. If this is your genre, I think you'll be very happy. I can also see this making for a great theatrical release in theaters.
Carissa
Cheryl
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is your price to be "pain free" for life? I luckily, have not had to experience excruciating pain that I would want to "die". Yet, this is how Greg felt. He has been in so much pain for years that he lost his woman and fell into a stupor. So, when he was offered the opportunity to go to a medical clinic with the promise of being pain free, he volunteers.

There are several other residents at the facility. They are all suffering from pain in different ways. The doctors and nurse seem normal.
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
From the first page, I was captivated by Greg. Having fallen off a ladder while on the job, simple daily tasks are now maddening and all consuming. He embodies the spoon metaphor frequently used by those with chronic pain. You start the day with a limited amount of spoons and every activity performed throughout the day takes one of those spoons. When you are out of spoons, you’re done. That’s where Greg is. He’s done. Rock bottom. When the opportunity arises to live “normally”, Greg seizes the c ...more
United Indie Book Blog
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW This book is different. It's scary, creepy, sad and just plain out there. It took me a bit to rid. I really had to put the book down and walk away. Its hard to see people dealing with pain on an everyday basic and not know how to help. What's that saying if it seems to good to be true then its not. When you wish to be pain and you get your wish with a bunch of side effects. Are the side effects worth it, or is it better to be in pain? This book makes you think about the choices you make. Tow ...more
Jessica
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not the type of genre I usually read, but I was intrigued by the story line. The author did not disappoint! I was drawn in from the first page...a quick page turner that I didn't put down. Cheers to the author who converted me to "horror"!
Michelle Willms
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and pleasantly terrifying

This book was s compelling look at the effects of chronic pain in all aspects of a person's life, as well as the lengths people are willing to go to eliminate that pain. While the book could benefit from a but more editing,the overall story was quite good. The author brought the bloodiest, most macabre scenes to life. I easily imagined myself right in the room with characters. While I never became overly connected to any of the characters (except for Cody), I
Marty Thornley
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my TOTALLY biased review about my own book! I'm excited to have it finally available on Kindle and now here in Goodreads.

If you have read it, please leave your own totally honest review. Thank you for reading!
Jasmine
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ugh. Just...ugh.

That's a good thing. Trust me.

I'm a huge fan of horror novels, but lately I've found myself disappointed by a lot of the ones I've chosen to read and review. Sure, there have been a few rare gems here and there, but most "indie" horror tends to be a bit of a letdown. Painless, however, has restored my faith.

I absolutely loved this story. It has such a basic premise, but it takes it to the extreme. Like, a clinical trial gone wrong could be something so ridiculous and lame, but M
Keith Chawgo
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Painless is a book that has a great premise and some interesting characters but doesn’t always play off to the best of effect. The plotting is a bit maniacal in that it has a slow build that erupts in full out body horror with interludes of an odd narrative that sometimes halts the action. Keeping this in mind, it is a fascinating subject matter that plays overall, reasonably well.

We start out with Greg, a man who is in diabolical pain which ruins his world to the point where he is desperate for
Cara
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for a fast-paced, gruesome read with a great concept.

I wasn't surprised to read that the author originally wrote this as a screenplay; I could absolutely envision this book as a movie, and I would be first in line to see it!

Instead, as the patients are cured of their physica
Candice
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you JKS for the copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

Painless is one of those stories that sucks you right in, and you find yourself burning through, because you have GOT to find out what is going to happen next.

I love a good psychological thriller, and this delivers on that with a healthy dose of horror mixed in. I was fully invested from the start as Greg sets out to participate in a clinical trial in the middle of nowhere, with very little info to go on, other than he will final
Nia Ireland
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sweet baby llamas, this book made me uncomfortable. I had to take breaks just to wince in disgust at some of the scenes….

So it goes without saying, it was a marvellous book.

The premise of the book is a medical trial, where patients suffering from chronic pain can undergo a procedure that will cure them forever. Of course, nothing’s ever that simple and it all goes a bit gross from there…

The author is a genius, using chronic pain as an evil. Describing the hopelessness these patients feel when th
Movies, Shows,
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note: This review contains NO spoilers

Wait... 😲 Hold up! I still have chills going up my spine after reading this thriller. Marty Thornley has written a gruesomely gripping tale of horror that is worthy to give anyone nightmares. Straight from the beginning, Painless creates that eerie atmosphere that made me cringe, and not all because of the horror aspect. Pain can make me cringe, too... Ha! Anyways, Painless is a well written, chilling story filled with vivid details that would make horror fa
Shari Sakurai
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review*

A freak accident leaves Greg Owens suffering unbearable pain, and heavily reliant on pills that ultimately cost him his family. Desperate for a way to put his life back together he agrees to take part in a clinical trial that claims will cure him permanently. However, Greg quickly realises that the revolutionary treatment is not all that it seems and the side effects may be worse than pain itself.

As someone who suffers from pain wit
Lorraine
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star, horror
A book of two halves.

In the first half, we are introduced to quite a large cast of characters.

We meet Greg and other patients, all of whom are suffering, for various reasons, from chronic and debilitating pain. They are, understandably, willing to try anything to be cured and are happy to be a part of the 'clinical trials' which are taking place in a hospital out in the middle of nowhere.

We are also meet Dr. Menta, who is running the trials, alongside Dr. Georgia and nursing staff. Their reasons
morgen
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt a very personal connection to this book as someone who has been through numerous back surgeries and suffers from chronic pain. Even though I am relatively young (35) PAIN IS A PART OF MY DAILY LIFE and it can be all consuming if you allow it to be.

The book opens with a young boy not only witnessing his mother's death. But contributing to it and she begs her so. To remove a piece of the car,s wreckage that is embedded in her neck and spine. Of course the boy does as his mother asks, and it
Mindy
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Painless is about a clinical trial gone horribly wrong, let's just say I'll never be first in line for a clinical trial after reading this book!

I was hesitant to read this book at first, mainly because the cover creeped me out, and I don't usually read horror stories. I'm very glad that I read it though. It was an intense book with very gory descriptions, but that description is what made the book so good. The way the author describes the pain Greg goes through, it makes you feel it too.

It was a
Shannon
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book made me cringe more than any other book I've read. The premise, a group of people living with chronic pain who sign up for an experimental treatment, sucked me right in. The multiple perspectives from members of the test group made the chapters fly by. Seriously, though, this book is not for the squeamish as it's totally disgusting (and awesome, if you like horror, which I do).

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
jay
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, on-my-kindle
But feeling a little pain meant feeling something. Sometimes that was better than feeling nothing.

SO gross and creepy. I loved it. As someone with a chronic incurable disease that means I'm constantly in near excruciating pain, the summary of this grabbed me so fast. A book about people who've had a procedure that makes them unable to feel pain, and the consequences? Sign me UP.

Honestly, I've dreamed about being unable to feel pain. I once stayed up for 5 days straight because everything hurt to
Michael O'Connell
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a chronic pain sufferer, I could really understand what some of the characters were experiencing. Once the action started, it was quite the gore-filled romp. That said, it did take quite a lot of time to get the "horror" started—almost half of the novel. Slice off some of the back story, and it would make a much better read.
Mari
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brittany Holcomb
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disturbing but entertaining read! It left me with an unexpected appreciation for pain!
Terri Mohler
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this!

Highly recommend this story. I just kept telling myself - one more chapter, just one more then I can go to sleep. I had to find out what was going to happen next!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
South Shore Readers: My first novel - Painless 1 8 Jan 16, 2018 10:42AM

• Gypsy Blood
  • Elements of Risk
  • Fire Sorcerer (The Sentinels #1)
  • The Storm Before the Storm: A Novel of Preparedness and Survival (American Sundown Series Book 1)
  • Murder So Strange (Muckraker Mysteries, #2)
  • Scorpion Strike
  • Mutation Z Series, Books 1-6: The Ebola Zombies, Closing the Borders, Protecting Our Own, Drones Overhead, Dragon in the Bunker, Desperate Measures
  • Unearthly
  • Mass Hysteria
  • Rumors of Marty Goode
  • Lost in Wildwood
  • Righteous Assassin (Mike Stoneman #1)
  • The Old Orchard
  • Old Faithful Plot
  • The King's Mother: Book Three of The Beaufort Chronicle (The Beaufort Chronicles 3)
  • Demons on the Dalton (Hell Holes #2)
  • De Leon's Ring