Start by marking “The Last Valkyrie (The Last Valkyrie #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Valkyrie (The Last Valkyrie #1)

The Last Valkyrie

(The Last Valkyrie #1)

Raven Romero is a washed up Valkyrie who is unable to return to Valhalla, spending her days in a haze of sex, drugs, and alcohol.
When she is wrongfully accused of murder, Raven has two options: run or clear her name. With a laundry list of enemies, she has no idea who could be framing her. One thing is for sure: they know what she is and they’ll stop at nothing until she’s
Published August 3rd 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Last Valkyrie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Valkyrie

Start your review of The Last Valkyrie (The Last Valkyrie #1)
Amber
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really love Karina Espinosa's writing, her Mackenzie Grey series is phenomenal but in The Last Valkyrie she brings us something different, some more. I really loved the characters and can't wait to see more from them. First let me just say Raven is a total bad a$$, I love her character. She's hilarious but you can see she has a lot of hurt hiding and she doesnt really know how to handle it. So much happens in The Last Valkyrie that you can't help but to turn each page and wanting to know more, ...more
Tiffany
Overall, I did enjoy this book but there are some rough spots, stilted characters, and unsatisfying plot points.

There is a lot to work with here, the full pantheon of Norse mythology, banshees, vampires, and werewolves, drug lords and corrupt cops. I'm interested in seeing how the rest of the series progresses and hoping that the characters will become more fleshed out and deeper.
Halimo
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading the McKenzie grey series and meeting raven briefly and thinking I’d move to find out more about this character and finding out that series about her was going to be written!!

I was beyond excited, this book had me hooked from the first page. I feel in love with the characters even Fen, can’t wait to see how Raven and her friends evolve. I would put my favourite part of the book but there’s to many parts to choose from and it would spoil the book for others.
Books 2 Blog
"A superbly crafted urban fantasy": check out B2B Kelly's review!
Angela *Whiskey Angel Life Blog*
I was provided an ARC of The Last Valkyrie from Lady Amber's PR for my honestthoughts.This is was myvery first read from Karina Espinosa and it has left me wondering, "Where the hell have you been all my life!" She's a reader's dream UF writer.The Last Valkyrie is a fast paced, well plotted read. The female lead, Raven, is fierce, strong and independent. The book is full of twists and turns that made it very hard for me to put it down. Add in some Norse Mythology and the foreshadowing of a love ...more
Edyta
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it

One awesome tough butt kicking chick who is also vulnerable and a bit of a hot mess; but buried deep down under all that, and slowly working itself to the surface is a kind heart seeking a second chance to be other than that which she was made to be.

Absolutely entertaining, sexy, funny, fast paced and love love love the mythology. I'm so ready for book two and more Fenrir please. Gotta love the bad boy.
L.P. Hidalgo
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Last Valkyrie by Karina Espinosa is a great tale where the use of Norse mythology isn't the foundation of the story but the evolution of one lone Valkyrie (Raven) who sought to go against the masses and fight for the underdog—humanity. Unfortunately, humanity's appeal after the centuries never seem to be redeemable, and this Last Valkyrie spends her immortality being bitter and angry and numbing her disappointment.
Reader Warning: This story isn't for those looking for the automatic hero,
Diane Lynch
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Karina Espinosa’s THE LAST VALKYRIE is a work of creative genius. Raven Romero is the last Valkyrie on Midgard (Earth). Someone who knows what she is, is trying to frame her for a murder. This Urban Fantasy takes place in Portland, Oregon.

THE LAST VALKYRIE is an exciting and original read. The story is full of action and mystery. I enjoy contemporary books that are based on mythology. Karina Espinosa does a great job melding the old and the new.

I like the characters. Raven is far from perfect.
Karen
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
She was once a warrior that was destined to be well known. She was her father’s favorite and was hand picked to train with the top Valkyrie to learn all that she needed to learn to be a great warrior. Her loyalty to her father and her position as a top Valkyrie made her decide to stay back when all of her sisters left the humans to fend for themselves, and closed the doors to Valhalla. Now, centuries later she is being framed for murders she did not commit. She’s no longer the powerful warrior ...more
Nadine
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just so you know I am a huge fan of Karina Espinosa.

I am giving you full disclosure here!

I have been lucky to read and review her Mackenzie Grey series and it was all I could have ever dreamed of. If you are not familiar with it, then I strongly suggest you have a read because it is fantastic! I am adding the link here for the 4 book series to have a quick look should you be interested.

Now Karina has a new series and a brand shiny new leading lady. I need to introduce you to my new friend Raven,
Marlou (life_of_a_bookdragon)
This book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Review

This book wasn't necessarily good, but it was good enough to keep reading. It's short and uncomplicated so you get through it quite easily.

Writing style: It was quite crappy in the beginning but got much better towards the end.

Characters: Fun but flat, they could have had any name, any personality and the story wouldn't change one bit.

Story: The idea of the story is interesting enough, but not that well build
Kelly
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs, books-2-blog
A superbly crafted urban fantasy

This is a new to me author, but I've read a couple of great fantasies based off Norse mythology recently, so when I saw the blurb for this, I jumped on it. My understanding is this new series is related to the author's Mackenzie Grey series, but I never got the feeling I might be missing some background as I sometimes do with a spinoff.

The story started off with a film noir kind of vibe that I enjoyed: a dark, seedy bar and a cynical, world-weary Raven (who has
Shannan
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was quite different from the last book I read by Karina but in the best of ways. There's subtle texturing of educational mythos mixed with puns, pills and powerful storytelling.

Raven Romero, not her real name and I loved the reference made in her choice, chose to await her father Odin on Earth when the rest of the Valkyries chose to seal the entry to Valhalla.

I loved that the action starts fast. The bodies start piling and so do the clues. I gotta admit I thought Fen would be the villain,
Jessica Belmont
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome first book in an urban fantasy series! It had everything you’d expect and want in this kind of novel. This is my first read of Karina Espinosa’s work, and it won’t be my last.

Raven, our main character is a total bad ass. I just want to be her. She’s everything a lead should be – strong, independent, witty, and a little broken too. Well rounded, well developed and well written. I give a lot of credit to Karina Espinosa’s writing- she truly made one hell of a main character.

The
Heather Russell
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love Norse Mythology then Karina Espinosa’s The Last Valkyrie is for you!
A new twist to an old story that makes it really hard to put down until the last page! Raven will probably remind you a bit of Jessica Jones, a head strong kick butt and take numbers kind of girl who is hurting, alone and with some trust issues! Raven is a Valkyrie who has no way to go back home but when Raven is accused of murder and taken into custody she has really one choice…escape and find the real killer who
CoullCat
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Last Valkyrie is a dark and gritty Urban Fantasy seeped in Norse Mythology. Now if all you know about Norse Mythology is that Thor wields a hammer and Loki is a major mischief maker, then I’m sorry to disappoint. Neither Thor or Loki are in this book (except by name) - which I’m actually glad for as Thor is one of my least favourite gods from the original myths. However, we do get a plethora of awesome supernatural and mythological creatures, both from Norse and not.

Raven has given up on her
Nehemia's Corner Shelf
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First off, I want to thank Lady Amber for providing me with an ARC of The Last Valkyrie by Karina Espinosa, for an honest review. The last Valkyrie has become one of my new favorite urban fantasy books. This was an amazing first book to a new series, it is action pack, dark and gritty, and I just can’t get enough. Looking forward to reading more from Karina Espinosa.

Raven us such a strong and clever character fighting with her inner demons and you just can’t help but love her. I am not very
Michelle
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW.....

When I first read the snippet of Raven from the Mackenzie Grey series, I didn't really like her character.... Then when Karina Espinosa announced "The Last Valkyrie", I was skeptical.... I was so incredibly wrong!

I ABSOLUTELY ADORE RAVEN!

She is so flawed and raw that you can't help sympathising with her.... She has lived for a long time, yet in some ways she behaves quite naive and gullible.....

Who is the enemy? The big question in this book..... I'm actually in love with all these
Jessica Moro
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Valkyrie books and this one is rife with well researched lore. Karina takes familiar characters in Norse mythology and gives them her own kind of spin. There’s plenty of action and suspense as Raven is thrust back into a world she thought she had been banned from. Raven is a loner who reluctantly ends up saving a couple of humans from demises and also ends up gaining some new friends. It’s the first in a series so there’s a lot of story that is set up for, hopefully, many more books to ...more
Rebecca Veight
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Raven immediately. She is bad ass, with a laugh out loud, often sarcastic sense of humor. Stubborn and presenting her own moral code, in spite of herself. Her life is sex, drugs and alcohol until she is accused of murder. This forces her to deal with being a Valkyrie again, and the supernatural in general.

I really enjoyed the flashback chapters showing Raven as a Valkyrie, their intensity making you wonder even more what had happened to make her the last one of her kind.

Tarah Didley
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story.

Raven is such a strong, sarcastic, smarty pants girl that makes you want to just slap her crazy.

I loved how it kept you glued into the book because you want to know why they keep framing her, and why she cannot get back to where she really wants to be.

Fen is a tricky man that I wanted to slap towards the end and I’m curious as to what his sister will do now.

Charlie and Will are in for a ride that will make you drink like crazy.

This is going to be a ride that I
Sara Drew
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Raven Romero is not your typical hero. She’s not even your typical antihero. She seeks redemption, while still trying to stave off her humanity, and i can not wait to see where she goes from here. I adore the stragglers she picks up along the way, and the unexpected bonds she forms. She’s self destructive, self loathing, and self involved, with so much potential to redeem herself with. There was also clearly an awesome editing team on this novel!
Veronica Saldivar
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love Norse mythology you will absolutely love this book. It’s the perfect combination and difference. The lead character was captivating and intriguing. Highly recommend the book. Can’t wait for book #2.
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
An entertaining thrill ride! I loved the story and the characters especially Fen! I hope we see more of him later on I’m rooting for Raven and him ;)
Full of mythology and suspense the story was hard to put down and I can’t wait to see what happens next.
Kirst
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed Ravens character and loving the storyline so far couldnt put the book down. Although in some parts of her inner dialogue she was similar to Karina's, Mackenzie Grey (which i loved), with the self loathing. Can't wait for the next installment.
Rachel
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yaaasss another amazing series from this amazing author!
I don’t even know what to say just that I can’t wait for the other books!
Em
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I will read the next one though cuz this could be a diamond in the rough
Michelle Sargent
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a pretty good book... I Loved the main character, Raven as well as the rest of the group... it kept my attention with wanting to know what would happen next...
Kristy
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book

Fantastic book strong clever funny female lead can’t wait for the next book in the series !! Hope here are more supernaturals !!
Natalia
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book...

Really liked the Nordic Gods...

The story is well paced, lots of stuff happening...

I'm team Fern because I like bad boys and I cannot lie!!!

• A Pack of Vows and Tears (The Boulder Wolves, #2)
  • A Pack of Love and Hate (The Boulder Wolves, #3)
  • Heart of Fire (Alice Worth #2)
  • Heart of Ice (Alice Worth #3)
  • A Shifter's Curse (Rouen Chronicles #1)
  • A Pack of Blood and Lies
  • Darkness Unchained (Sky Brooks, #2)
  • Moon Born (The Wolf Wars #3)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Darkness Unleashed (Sky Brooks #6)
  • A Shifter's Revenge (Rouen Chronicles #3)
  • Falling for Gods (Their Dark Valkyrie, #3)
  • Storm Witch (Scarlet Jones #1)
  • Waking the Gods (Their Dark Valkyrie, #4)
  • Midnight Falls (Sky Brooks, #3)
  • A Shifter's Rage (Rouen Chronicles #2)
  • Heart of Malice (Alice Worth, #1)
  • Bound to Gods (Their Dark Valkyrie #2)
Karina Espinosa is the Urban Fantasy author of the Sins of the Fallen series and the Mackenzie Grey novels. Infatuated with travel, pop culture, and the need to write everything down, she spends much of her days in front of a computer working on her next book, shopping online, and listening to music. With nomadic tendencies, she is currently resting her head in South Florida until the itch to move ...more

The Last Valkyrie (2 books)
  • The Sword of Souls (The Last Valkyrie #2)