Start by marking “A Scarcity of Condors (Venery, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Scarcity of Condors (Venery, #3)

A Scarcity of Condors

(Venery #3)

Juleón "Jude" Tholet has survival in his DNA. His father, Cleón, lived through imprisonment and torture during Pinochet's military coup in Chile. His mother, Penny, risked everything to gain her husband's freedom and flee the country with their newborn son. But as a closeted gay teenager growing up in Vancouver, Jude is targeted by a neighborhood bully called El Cóndor, ...more
Published December 10th 2019 by Cathedral Rock Press

Start your review of A Scarcity of Condors (Venery, #3)
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Here's my dilemma, am I ecstatic that I have found an emotionally intelligent writer or should i mourn the fact that she's ruined me for all else. I will crave for her words and curse after I'm done cause everything else in comparison seems insipid & bland.
It's rare to see a poignant love story with heart ripping honesty and page turning quality penned so skillfully it keeps you employed from first word till the last.
I've walked in blind in the palace of words by suanne, I'm completely
Larry H
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure who it was that first told me about Suanne Laqueur's book An Exaltation of Larks , but they said it was one of the best books they had ever read. When I picked it up, I was utterly blown away by it, and I quickly dove into the second book in this series, A Charm of Finches . That one may have been even better, and I remember falling to pieces on a plane as I finished the book, which isn't a good position to be in. (Luckily it was dark.)

You can check out my review of An Exaltation
Judith
4.5

I'm pretty sure my words here won't articulate how special this book is.I'm sure this must have been a labour of love for Suanne Laqueur.The attention to detail especially regarding the Historical aspects of this story took my breath away.Difficult to read at times but so important for this story,

I had no idea...

You watch the news,you hear stories of events in other countries and move on.

I had no idea....

This is powerful stuff,so strap yourself in and get ready for the ride...

The blurb tells
Suanne Laqueur
May 21, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
RELEASES DECEMBER 16, 2019
description

Jude sighed. “These are my memories. They’re my stories.”

“They’ll always be your stories,” Tej said. “These will always be your people. This is your family and family is so much more than blood.”

“I know.”

“But.”

“But.” Slowly Jude changed the status of Cleon and Penny from biological parents to adoptive parents. “See, just picking from a dropdown menu feels like betrayal. One click literally makes me feel like a shitty son.”

“You,” Tej said, sliding arms around Jude from
Shile

“Love isn’t a bed and breakfast,”

LOVED IT!

I am not sure I can do it justice, I will try.

It is no surprise Suanne can freaking write an amazing emotional story. I am happy I got to experience her storytelling once again, her books are very readable.

This series is connected, I would highly recommend you start from book 1.

Told in three POVs; Jude, Penny and Cleón’s, this is the story of the Tholet family.. Jude’s family flees Chile and settles in Vancouver then later in Seattle.
Bibi
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*5+++ Heartbreaking stars*

It's been a week since I finished this book and I'm still reeling from the aftershocks.

FRTC
James
A Scarcity of Condors, the third book in the Venery series by Suanne Laqueur, is a brilliant culmination of stories and characters that reach inside your body and mind with such adept strength and beauty, it cannot be forgotten. When I read the first book in the series, I was thoroughly blown away by the raw intensity and magnetism of the writing quality, character development, and life circumstances. The second book took it to an even higher level, a nearly impossible feat in my opinion. I ...more
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's LIVE!!!

In this year I've read a lot of great books but OMG *hands down* this book is my No.1!!!

In fact this book should turns into a movie. Yeah, it is that fucking good!

Suanne, you're bloody amazing.

*ARC kindly provided by author in exchange for an honest review.

-------------

Suanne, I love you so much. So excited for this book.

Expected publication: December 16th 2019
Jan
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
A Scarcity of Condors reads very differently from the two previous books in this series. The romance takes a back seat in this instalment.

It is a fictional work historically oriented over the Chilean coup led by General Augusto Pinochet in 1973.

The story exudes an in-depth understanding and intense research.
In other words, A Scarcity of Condors is a story where the author, using her knowledge in those facts, gives life, face and name to fictional characters who lived that atrocity.
It's moving,
Malene
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Taking authentic historical events such as Pinochet and Operation Condor and building a story around it is not an easy task. As with the other two books in the Venery series I can honestly say that Suanne Laqueur has created yet another phenomenal book.
A Scarcity of Condors doesn’t hold back but goes all in. My emotions was a punching bag. I felt it ALL! I lived and breathed for these characters. For Jude and his family.

What happens when you’re not who you think you are? Jude discovers his
Hollis
This rating might surprise people who know how much I love this author, and this series, but my problem with this story is that, for the most part, I didn't really find myself connecting to these characters. For me, they would come alive in family or group setting moments, not always but often, or in the cheeky sizzle of chemistry-infused interactions leading upto the romance, but overall I didn't fall in love with these people or places the way I have in other Laqueur — specifically, Venery ...more
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
Few, if any, series have moved me the way Suanne Laqueur's Venery series has. Truly, this exceptionalseries has haunted me, scarred me, gripped me, stayed with me long after finishing each book. And this third installment, A Scarcity of Condors, shifted and scrambled around the parts of my soul once more with the harrowing story of Jude Tholet, a Chilean born gay man whose entire identity is placed into question with one vial of spit.

The historical accuracy Laqueur weaves through her stories
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
5 stars

WARNING: extra-long review ahead! So, if you like to have the gist of it, just read the sentences in bold. My excuses but as usual it seems that I am unable to write short reviews for Suanne’s books!- if I want to give them justice!

Once again, I am amazed at Suanne’s writing skill! In French we would say that “Elle a le sens du phrasé” what I can tentatively translate in English with a lengthy explanation meaning that she is a powerful writer.

Not a writer using many flourishes but a
Holly

Absolutely, 100% pick up the first two books of this series (LOVE THEM). But then pretend this book never happened. The good news is that this 'series' does not even need this third book, because it's basically a completely separate story (the first two books are more interconnected). You can totally skip this one, which I recommend.

Here are the first two books that I *really* recommend you read (in order):
An Exaltation of Larks
A Charm of Finches

This book dealt with some really serious
Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️
The wonderful storytelling from Suanne Laquers is epically transforming. She takes you on a mesmerizing journey that holds your breath as well as opens your sea of emotions. The sense of family, belonging, loving unconditionally is at the heart of this story. While it can be read as a stand-alone, reading the previous books brings around a familiarity that heightens the reading experience.

While the story is fiction, it is based around facts involving the military coup in Chile by Pinochet. The
Bookreader87(Amanda)
THIS BOOK IS OUT NOW!! 12/16/19

I’m calling it...this book here is hands down the best book I read all year.

Reviewing this book has been difficult because I want to get my thoughts straight and my words right but I find it to be a struggle. Not in a negative way but in the best way possible.There are just so many layers to this book so much more than what the synopsis gives you. You get stories within stories and they all find a way to circle back to each other.

This book took me through so many
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳

OMG! More Venery!!!

More reviews and book talk at :

You can find me here too
Christelle
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*

The Venery series is a story-telling about life, survival, resilience, love and family, and it’s written by such a talented author, able to play with words and come up with a symphony of emotions. It’s not easy to explain, it just has to be experienced.

This is all about going back home to your loved ones. Each tale is beautiful, poignant, overwhelming and brings so much reflexion.

The series started with Alex, this little boy back in 1973 in Chile, hiding all alone in a closet for his
Xia Xia
When reading Suanne's books you have to be prepared for the FEELS. When it comes to plot, these stories are as far away from "fluff" and "superficial" as possible. Complex, riveting and heartbreaking, they deal with the cruelty of human kind, presenting suffering in the most respectful way possible. But they also present the power that love has to heal the pain, and the stories always finish with the sun shining on the horizon.

In comparison to Larks and Finches, Condors is more mellow than the
Bookphenomena (Micky)
This book had atmosphere, emotion and a family saga to end all sagas. A SCARCITY OF CONDORS was a complex read but then I expect complexity from Suanne Laqueur. If you are fan of the Venery series, you will feel the intertwining of these books, but in particular, there was a strong connection to book one, AN EXALTATION OF LARKS.

The third book returned fans to Chile, Pinochet’s heinous regime but it also opened that Pandora’s box wider and invited the reader to witness some of the atrocities. I
Michele
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-fav-15
The irony of writing this review is that it’s hard to put into words how much Suanne’s words mean to me. From her first novel to her last, they have all imprinted on me – mind, heart and in my reader’s soul.

Reading A Scarcity of Condors was an experience in extremes. From the absolute worst of humanity with imprisonment and torture during Pinochet's military coup in Chile, to the purest form of unconditional love. From loss that is literally and figuratively bone crushing, to joy that feeds
Karen
Shelves: 2019-best-reads
Sometimes you have to read a book twice because it’s so perfect that you want to read it again and savour every single word.

Sometimes the measure of a good book is the tears you shed.

Sometimes the measure of a good book is the tears shed unashamedly on a bus full of people.

Sometimes the measure of a good book is walking home in the pouring whilst tears disguised as the rain run down your face.

But these aren’t sad tears.

Do you ever have that feeling when you read a book that you gain a friend?
Grace
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully crafted, this is a poignant story about family heritage, discovering new truths and honoring the past.

There's something truly special about this series, which highlights the author's distinct voice, creating fictional stories around real world events. This third installment in the series reveals the atrocities the people of Chile faced during Augusto Pinochet's reign. The horror citizens faced during this time are detailed intermittently, as the main narrator, Juleón "Jude" Tholet
Lisa Aiello
Shelves: just-fiction
5 "And who are you going to be?" stars

After finishing this book, I want to put on my Hulk hands and go stomping through all of the whole entire Readerverse bellowing "Lisa love book. Everyone read words!!"

As I flipped the last page and read every entire scrap I could, including the Acknowledgements and recipes (squeeeee - there are RECIPES!!!!), I suddenly felt bereft . Now what the hell do I do? Because I sure as hell wasn't ready to let these people go!!

Ahhh, Suanne. You own me. Your words
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥

It's clear that Suanne Lacqueur researched the subject of this novel with meticulous care. I have read many books penned by her and, once again, she immersed me in a narrative with a rich and sophisticated tapestry of words, detail, thought, and feeling. The layered story arc and carefully crafted characters ensured that I was completely invested in all areas of the story and enamoured with the protagonists who take centre stage.

#recommendedread

Advance copy provided
*The Angry Reader*
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, arcs, 2019, best-of-2019
I’d like to write an objective review of one of Suanne’s books. Alas, here we are.

I’ve read nearly everything she’s written. Her voice is a source of comfort - a warm hug - a homecoming. Falling into one of her stories is like falling into bed. And who doesn’t love that?

So I thought I’d be going into this story blind. But it turns out I read a couple of early versions of it more than a year ago. I’m delighted with the writing process. Enthralled with suanne’s edits and changes. The natural
Alissa
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another spectacular story in my favorite series! Suanne Laqueur is one of the most exceptional storytellers I have ever read. You will never read one of her books and compare it to something else you’ve read, because her stories are so incredibly unique. A Scarcity of Condors is no exception.

In the latest story in the Venery series, Suanne creates the most magnificent characters who have such complex histories and relationships. In Condors we meet the Tholet family. Penny and Cleon had a horrid
Stephanie (Bookfever)
I've been trying to write this review for a few days now. Sometimes I find it so hard to do a review of a book I immensely loved because I feel like I can't find the right words that will convey how much the book touched me and with A Scarcity of Condors it's no different.

In my experience this author never writes about easy things. I love reading about the themes she writes about even though they are often very hard to read and punch me in the gut, basically. This story also had a rollercoaster
Cathy
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eleventy billion stars.......I need to compose myself before reviewing

Here I am a week on, and still no clearer with the words for my review (I can only apologise)

I have never read anyone who writes like Suanne Laqueur. Never afraid to face the most difficult subjects, she dives right in and gets amongst it handling them with sensitivity and humour. Not an easy read, with suffering of many kinds and some potential triggers.

Once again this is impactful and wide reaching, each character had me
Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦
Stunning! Another powerful story of family, love, loss and the bonds of family from Suanne Laqueur.

Jude Tholet grew up surrounded by a loving and accepting family. When he came out as gay as a teenager, his family tried to protect him from almost unspeakable violence by moving from their home in Vancouver to Seattle. But his parents Cleon and Penelope had themselves seen horrible violence before, when they escaped from the brutality of Pinochet's regime in Chile. I had a passing knowledge of
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Life That Mattered (Life, #1)
  • Someday, Someday
  • Moti on the Water
  • Release
  • Just Ten Seconds
  • The Silver Cage (The Silver Cage, #1)
  • Come Back for Me (Arrowood Brothers, #1)
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • The Rebel King (All the King's Men Duet, #2)
  • Room to Breathe
  • Before You
  • Reverend of Silence
  • Iron Crowne
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • Outmatched
  • Gabriel's Promise (Gabriel's Inferno, #4)
  • Desperate to Touch (Hard to Love #2)
  • Then You Happened
A former professional dancer and teacher, Suanne Laqueur went from choreographing music to choreographing words. Her work has been described as "Therapy Fiction," "Emotionally Intelligent Romance" and "Contemporary Train Wreck."

Laqueur's novel An Exaltation of Larks was the Grand Prize winner in the 2017 Writer's Digest Awards. Her debut novel The Man I Love won a gold medal in the 2015 Readers'

Venery (3 books)
  • An Exaltation of Larks (Venery, #1)
  • A Charm of Finches (Venery, #2)