Start by marking “Prisoner of the Crown (The Chronicles of Dasnaria #1)” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of the Crown (The Chronicles of Dasnaria #1)

Prisoner of the Crown

(The Chronicles of Dasnaria #1)

She was raised to be beautiful, nothing more. And then the rules changed . . .

In icy Dasnaria, rival realm to the Twelve Kingdoms, a woman’s role is to give pleasure, produce heirs, and question nothing. But a plot to overthrow the emperor depends on the fate of his eldest daughter. And the treachery at its heart will change more than one carefully limited life . . .
Published June 12th 2018 by Rebel Base Books

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of the Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner of the Crown

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I've read some of this author's erotica and enjoyed it, so when I saw what looked to be a smutty harem fantasy pop up on Netgalley, I immediately signed up for it. The blurb sounded reminiscent of Bertrice Small's works, particularly ADORA and THE KADIN, with a dash of the Kushiel series. Of course I had to read this!

The premise is simple enough. Jenna lives in a desert of ice, ensconced in a paradise-like seraglio where her every wish is
Carrie
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Prisoner of the Crown by Jeffe Kennedy is the first book of the The Chronicles of Dasnaria fantasy series. However, what I didn’t know when picking this one up is that this is a spin off of a bigger series by Jeffe Kennedy, The Twelve Kingdoms. Not having read the rest of the books I’m not sure how much is missing reading this series alone.

The story in Prisoner of a Crown starts with Princess Jenna as a child being raised in what seems to the children as paradise, that is until getting a little
Marta Cox
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
This authors world building is absolutely jaw dropping and in this story we journey to Dasnaria which some readers might be familiar with. Brought up as the eldest Imperial Princess Jenna is the perfect puppet and unfortunately also a sacrifice. Ambition is everything in the gilded cage of the palace but Jenna looks forward to finally meeting her betrothed but he's not the man of any woman's dreams no Jenna is marrying a nightmare !
Don't get this expecting a romance though as its disturbing and
Douglas Meeks
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a horrible story .... not a horrible book but the story I found horrifying since we have what amounts to an innocent thrown to the wolves except in this case given to a monster to wed for court strategy and intrigue. I usually go to bed around 10pm, I stayed up until almost 2 AM reading this horrible and addicting story .

The book moves very slowly for the first 50% or so which makes me hope it does not take the track of her "Sorcerous Moons" series which dragged the reader along at a sn
Christa
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, owned, 2018
A good start to a fantasy series. Jenna has been raised in isolation, trained to become a first wife. She lives in isolation with her sisters and mother and her fathers wives and concubines. She quickly learns the world is a much different place than the confines of her palace.

There’s great growth, Jenna’s brother was amazing, and it’s a great foundation to the start of a new series.
Talk Supe
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
An easy read and a long “prologue”.
Melliane
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

Jeffe Kennedy is now offering us a new fantasy series and as I usually enjoy her stories, I could not wait to get into this one.

The author presents us with a world where women are only an incarnated object. Besides, they have pushed the vice to the point where, from birth, they are locked up in a place where they will not leave until the day when they are to be married. It is an extraordinary place where everything is done so that they are as content as possi
Melanie
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted at BooksOfMyHeart.net.

It is no secret, I’m a huge fan of Jeffe Kennedy’s The Twelve Kingdoms series. I’ve been reading it since I met her at RT15 in Dallas. Back then, I got a copy of the second book in the series, The Tears of the Rose. The third book, The Talon of the Hawk, wasn’t even out yet. Now, we have three The Twelve Kingdoms books, three more of The Uncharted Realms books (which follows the same characters in chronological time.

Now, we have The Chronic
Visionary Druid
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Imperial Princess Jenna is the firstborn daughter of Emperor Einarr Konyngrr and his first wife Hulda. She has spent the majority of her life sequestered behind a seraglio’s gilded walls. Jenna diligently prepares for the day she leaves the seraglio and marries the man her parents had chosen. However, her betrothed is not what she expected. Can Jenna endure her husband’s mistreatment long enough to escape? Or will he be her doom?

I have been curious about Jenna’s story since her part in THE EDGE
Dee/ bookworm
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
#PrisonerOfTheCrown #NetGalley

This book was dark and depressing. I felt sorry for the main character and everything she went through. I am glad she worked on herself to get to where she could escape, but what a price to pay. And her family... well it is a very emotional read.

I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
Lexie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-in-series
Love love love it.

Let's start with our main character, Jenna. Raised to be sheltered, taught to be submissive and groomed to be obedient - she was her mother's crowning joy. Which was the problem in the end.

Empress Hulda did her job too well - yes Jenna had no knowledge of the outside world, but Hulda taught her the importance of POWER. Having it, using it, not sharing it. Hulda taught Jenna that one day she would have power - a woman's power, but it was far more remarkable than a man's.

Except J
Jen Davis
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying what a huge fan I have been of the 12 Kingdoms series. When I heard the next book would feature a Dasnarian princess, I figured this was Jenna's story and I was pretty excited. What I didn't expect was a set-up for a trilogy on her story. (For fans of the series, remember, Jenna was the older sister who Harlan helped escape from an abusive husband. It was quite the mystery and now we are finally learning what happened.)

Here's the thing, though. This is not a romance. This
Title: Prisoner of the Crown
Author: Jeffe Kennedy
Genre: YA/Historical/Fantasy
Rating: *****
Review: The opening to Prisoner of the Crown was, we are introduced to Princess Jenna who is a princess of Dasnaria, along with her many brothers and sisters from the 3 main wives of the Emperor. We learn about her life and the firstborn from the first wife, and how she will be the one to return her ancestors to glory. She also begins to learn some painful lessons about the place of women in the
Bambi Unbridled
description

Prisoner of the Crown is the first book in a new fantasy series by Jeffe Kennedy, which is either titled Chronicle of Dasnaria or The Lost Princess Chronicles... I'm seeing it as both, so I'm not sure which it is. I kinda like the latter best and feel it fits our protagonist best. Jeffe is branching out as this is straight fantasy (vs. fantasy romance), though it is connected to her prior fantasy romance series. As obtuse as I am, I didn't realize exactly HOW connected it was until I had read ab
AlwaysV
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't possibly find adequate words to describe how this story broke my heart into pieces while reading about Imperial Princess Jenna's unbelievably painful life. I hadn't planned even to touch her story at all. Let alone read it. The author was honest from the get go, with her forewarning what it was about. I didn't think I could take it. But after having read what her baby brother had done to save her and knew that she was going to be kind of okay, in another novella, I decided to pick up ...more
Liza
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Prisoner of the Crown is the first book in a new fantasy series by Jeffe Kennedy. While it is a spin-off of her Twelve Kingdom series, I had no trouble with the dynamics in this new series.

I really had to take a bit of time to put my thoughts together after reading Prisoner of the Crown. Ms. Kennedy completely and totally pulled me into this story, even though it did start off a bit slow. I found myself enchanted by Jenna and her sisters and yet horrified by the way they really were kept in a g
Cathy Geha
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Prisoner of the Crown by Jeffe Kennedy
The Chronicles of Dasnaria #1

Not a huge fan of Sci-Fi but thought this book might be worth a try. I like to start series with the first book when I can so this was a good first book for me to try by an author I have never read before. I had mixed feelings about the book as half of it told about Princess Jenna’s life as a child and young woman and how she was prepared in a seraglio to later become a well-trained obedient wife. The second half of the story was
Blodeuedd Finland
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was warned before so I knew this was not a romance, not that I mind. I love straight up fantasy. I would still call this light even though dark things happen.

Jenna is an Imperial princess and grows up in a beautiful paradise where she plays and enjoys life. Though she does get an inkling that there is things she does not know (in truth she knows nothing. Not what snow looks like. Not what animals are...nothing. Cos she is told nothing). All she knows is her sheltered cage. I do feel sorry for
Stacy
Jun 21, 2018 added it
Shelves: netgalley
PRISONER OF THE CROWN surprised me. I wasn't 100% into it when I started reading, but it didn't take long to fall into the world and characters.

PRISONER OF THE CROWN is book one in the new The Chronicles of Dasnaria series, but book seven in The Twelve Kingdoms Complete Universe. I haven't read any of the books in this universe yet and I didn't feel lost one bit.

There is nothing romantic in PRISONER OF THE CROWN. In fact the relationship parts are very dark and emotionally hard to read. I was
Alexia Chantel
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kennedy's world of Dasnaria is rich and vibrant. This land across the sea has been spoken of in the Twelve Kingdoms series, and some Dasnarian's have become prominent characters in the lives of the Princeses and Tala. So it is incredibly interesting to read Jenna's story, and see her brother's, Harlan and Kral, as young men.

Jenna's story is dark. She survives a lot of physical and mental abuse at the hands of her husband. It's a story that will have you gripping the pages and sending encouragem
Jessica Belmont
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a hard story to take in. Not because the book was bad, but because the plot was pretty devastating. Jeffe Kennedy spares us the very gorey details, but let’s us know enough to imagine the horrors our main character, Jenna, faces.

The world building in this book is absolutely breathtaking, but I will admit that it caused the first half of the book to be a bit slow in pace. I appreciate good world building, I just hope the second book consists of less and moves a bit quicker. It didn’t sto
Timitra
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rated 4.5 Stars

Prisoner Of The Crown is part coming of age, part intrigue, part political, part treachery and a whole lot of awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though the dark moments had me up in arms ready to do some damage.

I loved the way the author set this one up, it has me so intrigued and eager to see how things shake out where the power struggle is concerned.

Even more than the power dynamics I'm excited to see what happens next with the main character, Jenna. I'm so ready for
Nicole Luiken
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, sf-fantasy
Very much a book one and the miserable beginning for the character's long term journey. Jenna is horribly trapped, deliberately kept ignorant, betrayed and all sorts of other awful things. While I sympathized strongly, some chapters were hard to read. She only acquires agency at the very end of the story.

The best part for me was seeing Harlan as a 14-year-old boy. He is Jenna's brother and a total sweetheart--as I already knew from reading Talon of the Hawk where he is the hero.
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Really enjoyed this series!
Renee
Jul 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF. Just wasn’t my thing. I tried but it was so deep fantasy that I just couldn’t continue.
Mei
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come...
Isabel
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this actually. I read it on the plane and waiting on the airport and it was a good read. I'd absolutely recommend this.
Mskychick
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ff
3-1/2 stars.
This book is pretty dark, much more than I was expecting. And I thought it would be a self-contained story with a HEA, but it ends on a sort of cliffhanger, which also surprised me. Still digesting what I think of this one.
Marlene
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

This book comes with ALL the trigger warnings. Jenna’s story is not for the faint of heart, should not be read with the lights off, and probably should not be read just before bedtime. She has to survive a nightmare before she begins to step into the light, and reading her travails just before one’s own bedtime is likely to result in some epic nightmares.

I didn’t even risk it.

What keeps the first two thirds of this story from merely being page after page of
The Library Ladies
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

I picked up this book purely based on the description, not having read anything by the author before or realizing that this was an offshoot of another series. While neither of these things proved to be too great of an obstacle when jumping into this book, I would warn future readers to pay a bit more attention to that book description than I did: monster husband and horrors of life, indeed. It was a bit more and also less than what I was expecting.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Amid the Winter Snow
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Kimiko and the Accidental Proposal (Amaranthine Saga, #2)
  • The Initiation of Pb500 (Pb500, #1)
  • Seasons of Sorcery: A Fantasy Anthology
  • Stone Maiden
  • Warsworn  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)
  • Katie's Highlander (Highlander Protector, #3)
  • Warrior Wench (The Asarlaí Wars #1)
  • Caprion's Wings (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3.5)
  • The Songs That Brought Me Back (The Songs #2)
  • The Marriage Pact (Loving an Aldridge, #1)
  • Marrying Miss Kringle: Frost
  • The Myth Manifestation (SPI Files, #5)
  • Issaura's Claws (The Incarn Saga. #1)
  • For the Love of Laura Beth
I also write books under the name Jennifer Paris.

Represented by Sarah Younger at Nancy Yost Literary Agency.

The Chronicles of Dasnaria (3 books)
  • Exile of the Seas (The Chronicles of Dasnaria #2)
  • Warrior of the World (Chronicles of Dasnaria, #3)