Jump to ratings and reviews

Star-Crossed #1

Star-Crossed

Princess Vela's people are starving.

Stranded on a planet that lacks food, Vela makes the ultimate sacrifice and becomes an Aegis for her people. Accepting a genetic modification that takes sixty years off her life, she can feed her colony via nutrition pills. But her best friend is still getting worse. And she's not the only one.

Now the king is dying, too.

When the boy she's had a crush on since childhood volunteers to give his life for her father's, Vela realizes her people need more than pills to survive. As tensions rise between Aegis and colonists, secrets and sabotage begin to threaten the future of the colony itself.

Unless Vela is brave enough to save them all…

400 pages, Hardcover

First published October 2, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Pintip Dunn

11 books985 followers
Pintip Dunn is a New York Times bestselling author of young adult fiction. She graduated from Harvard University, magna cum laude, with an A.B., and received her J.D. at Yale Law School.

Her novel FORGET TOMORROW won the 2016 RWA RITA® for Best First Book, and SEIZE TODAY won the 2018 RITA for Best Young Adult Romance. Her books have been translated into four languages, and they have been nominated for the following awards: the Grand Prix del'Imaginaire; the Japanese Sakura Medal; the MASL Truman Award; the TomeSociety It list; and the Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice Award.

Her other titles include REMEMBER YESTERDAY, THE DARKEST LIE, GIRL ON THE VERGE, STAR-CROSSED, and MALICE.

She lives with her husband and children in Maryland.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
19 (6%)
1 star
3 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 114 reviews
Profile Image for Carrie.
3,040 reviews1,502 followers
September 12, 2018
Star-Crossed by Pintip Dunn is a young adult romantic science fiction fantasy. And guess what folks, no insta-love and no love triangles! Yes, I know, color me shocked as well. And on top of all of that a creepily compelling sci-fi angle to the world building.

The story is set on a distant planet in which the inhabitants including our main character, Princess Vela, have lived since leaving Earth years and years before. The problem on the planet is there is a shortage of food and with not enough to feed everyone they have developed a system in which only a handful eat the food and then nutrients are extracted from them to make pills to sustain the rest of the colonists.

The eaters of the colony are the Aegis and the downside for them enjoying food is that they lose a huge chunk of their life span. Being the daughter of the King Vela trained early to become an Aegis and she and her sister, Blanca, are now competing to become the next Successor to their father. Vela and Blanca are exact opposites and now they've been given tasks that will them to their own limits.

Having read a couple of other books my Pintip Dunn and really enjoying them I was really looking forward to seeing what this one held. After finishing I can honestly say I don't think I've ever come across anything anywhere similar to the world created in this story so an A+ for creativity. I was easily immersed in this world and really came to like the characters and root for them along the way and with a gut wrenching end to the story this one rated at 4.5 stars for me, definitely recommend giving it a try!

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/
Profile Image for Danielle's.
Author 1 book139 followers
September 15, 2018
My favourite thing to do when I finish a book is to read the acknowledgements. I really like it when they give an insight to the author/book. The acknowledgement section in the back of Star-crossed tells you this book was written before Pintip Forgot Tomorrow. The author also tells us this book holds a special place with her. I'm totally in love with her best selling series. Star-crossed has a food theme and will pretty much ruin any diet or put you off cakes.

Vela and her sister, Blanca are opposites. They are heiress to the throne. Their father needs a transplant and a donor is needed. It has to be the fittest of the fit. The person will sacrifice their lives for the king. In return, their family will be well looked after. Vela is a princess in a dystopian world. There isn't enough food for her people to survive so a pill was created as a substitute. A selected few eat real food and the rest of the people take the pills. Vela and Blanca are expected to eat a lot because the pills are formed from the people that eat. In this world being overweight is seen as a luxury and is seen as beautiful. When Vela was young she used to slip a little food to her best friend, Astana not realising the consequences. Now Vela must find the donor for her father. The problem is Carr wants to help his sister, Astana and the only way to help is to become the donor. Vela has always had a secret crush on Carr now she must choose who dies and who gets to survive. This is bigger than just her future it affects the whole kingdom and if Vela can't make the right decisions her sister will become the next queen.

This is an undesirable world and the story is a rollercoaster. The story fits well with Pintip Dunn's style I just wish it didn't have a food theme. The stories good and the characters are well developed. Vela's choices are impossible and the romance is touching.

4 stars out of 5.

*I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Felicia.
254 reviews918 followers
August 24, 2018
If nothing else, this book has the most unique plot I have ever encountered in a YA sci-fi story, although it could also be included in the dystopian and/or fantasy genres as it's kinda all over the place. Unfortunately, that's pretty much where the pros end for me.

The new world presented to us is divided into two classes, the Eaters and Non-Eaters. There's not enough food to accommodate the population but luckily an elite few carry a gene that allows them to convert digested food into a highly nutritious waste that is then provided to the Non-Eaters in the form of a capsule.

Yes, you read that right. It's pretty out there, a little too far off the rails for my tastes. Wait, I'm not finished....

Princess Vela is our narrator in this story, and while she's a likeable character, her dialogue is very juvenile, leaving this book firmly in the genre of very young adult, more like preteen in my opinion.

Vela's father, the King, needs a full organ transplant *eye roll* which is to be procured from the healthiest Non-Eater and lo and behold guess who ends up being the perfect candidate? Vela's love interest.

This story was not one that I could sink my teeth into. I found it borderline ridiculous most of the time and the obligatory "bad guy" was obvious from the get-go.

2 VERY generous stars ⭐⭐

I was provided an ARC of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Heather K (dentist in my spare time).
3,832 reviews5,506 followers
Read
April 1, 2019

DNF at 17%.

Look, I'm going to be kind here and not rate this story, but let's just say I didn't enjoy it.

The narrator was... fine, even if she was a step down from the excellent narrator from my audiobook I had just previously listened to. But the story... phew, that was hard for me to get through.

The story is billed as YA but it felt veeeeeery young. I'd say more 13-ish range, even though I know the characters are supposed to be older.

What really annoyed me was, as a medical/science-y person, I couldn't get past the flawed premise of the book, even though it was an interesting hook.

Warning: nerdy rant ahead

There is just no way that someone could consume food and then, through any sort of genetic modification, could get more calories from the food and be able to make some pills out of those calories to feed others. The energy has to come from somewhere. If they genetically modified everyone to process food and calories more efficiently, I would be all on board, but you can't get more calories than exists already. I couldn't get past that. And, yes I know it's supposed to be fantasy and we aren't supposed to analyze it that much but I can't help it!!!

I just couldn't with the whole story, and though Pintip Dunn is probably a very talented author, I'll have to try again with another of her stories.

goodreads|instagram|twitter|blog
Profile Image for Amanda .
432 reviews151 followers
October 4, 2018
You can also read my review here:https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

I originally requested this title because I read The Darkeat Lie and loved it, so I knew the author was good. But as time came to read it I kept putting it off because I didn't expect it to be that good. I was so wrong though, as soon as I read the first chapter I knew that I was really going to enjoy Star-Crossed.

The plot and world building were very original. I found the whole idea of this book to be fascinating. The world building for this sci-fi was very cool, but not overly intricate as the novel was very focused on the plot instead. The plot was where this book really excelled. There were a few predictable aspects, but there were also some very interesting plot twists and I never saw coming. There was also a mystery woven into the story that I had a lot of fun trying to figure out. I had some guesses, but wound up being wrong in the end. This plot had it all, mystery, love, sibling rivalry and some political sabotage were all aspects that kept me turning the pages.

The romance, on the other hand, was totally not for me. From the beginning I didn't like Carr as a love interest and it never really grew on me. I found it to be sappy and overdramatic. I never really felt the connection between the two of them and the whole relationship felt a little forced to me. Vela and Carr's relationship didn't burn red hot. I never really believed their emotional displays or declarations of feelings.

Which brings me to my next point, which is that I never really felt emotionally connected to the characters. I love the plot and some of the relationships, but I never really felt emotionally connected, which was shocking because The Darkest Lie was such an emotional novel, so I expected this novel to be emotionally gripping as well. Since Star-Crossed wasn't based on such an emotional subject I still thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the emotional disconnection.

I love the relationship that Vela had with her best friend Astana. In the very beginning of the novel Vela steals food for her, showing just how deep her loyalty is for her best friend. I found Vela to have so much integrity and I really admired her as a character. I also found it entertaining to read about the sibling rivalry between Vela and Blanca. Vela's character arc is an incredible one, as she changes so much throughout the novel with her relationships, but also in her ability to make difficult decisions.

Overall I would definitely recommend this book to science fiction and mystery fans who like a fast-paced read. If you are looking to emotionally connect to a story or read a good love story, I would probably pass on this one though. This book pulled me right out of my reading slump and was full of interesting characters that were full of moral integrity.
Profile Image for marie ♡⁎⁺˳✧.
211 reviews74 followers
July 22, 2019
A copy was given to me via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book probably has the most unique plot I’ve ever read. There’s nothing else like it.

The story is set at a time in the future when people were sent to terraform a planet called Dion. However, out of the ten thousand pods that were sent, only a hundred pods had survived. Instead of a habitable, fully-terraformed planet, the people found only a patch of land on which to live. This planet is hundreds of light years away from Earth that they had no choice but to make do with what they have. Since the land isn’t enough to grow plants and animals they brought from Earth, they developed a solution to maximize the food they are able to produce. Part of the population undergoes a genetic modification that will make them absorb two or three times as many nutrients from food than the average person. These nutrients are then extracted from them and distributed to the rest of the colony as pills. These pills also double as currency. Interesting, right?

But as interesting as it was, I didn’t like it.

One of the problems I had with this book is the writing. It’s not bad but there were lines that made me roll my eyes.

“Her smooth delivery hitches on a few syllables, the way a flowing river hiccups around a surprise boulder.”

Uhm, really?

“My chest contracts so hard I feel my joints pop.”

Wait, what?

And the king calls Vela, “eye-apple". Okaaaay…

The plot was quite predictable and there were some parts which I found confusing or contradicting. There were also hints in the book which made the bad guy pretty obvious.

Another reason why I did not enjoy this is that I did not care for any of the characters. Vela is okay but there was nothing she did that endeared her to me. Carr is so self-righteous and has a superhero complex which annoyed me. Blanca lacked dimension. Astana was, in my opinion, not a good friend with the way she blamed Vela for the decisions she made instead of understanding the reasons behind it.

I finished this book in sixteen days which would give you an idea on how invested (or not) I was. But the part that bumped this down to two stars from the original three stars I planned is the ending. I had mixed feelings about it. I think the “plot twist” at the end was too good to be true. For me, the “act” Vela did was unnecessary. The king knew what her decision will be and that should have been enough without actually going through it.

I posted reading about this book on Instagram and the author told me to enjoy it. Which makes me so, so sad that I didn’t.

This book had great reviews and it just didn’t work for me. But if you don’t mind everything I mentioned that caused my disappointment, maybe you will enjoy this.
“That’s the thing with ideals. They’re so easy to impose on other people. Not so easy to practice yourself.”

Review can also be found on my blog.

Find me:
Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Spotify
Profile Image for Olivia | Books to Liv by.
232 reviews155 followers
September 21, 2018
Rating: 4 stars
HEA:

“Your life has always mattered,” I whisper.
I look up and do my best to imprint his caviar-black eyes and straight, thin brows into my memory. I’ll have holograms, sure. And I’ve made a point to take a few of him, because I know I’ll regret not having them later. But I don’t want to rely on some dots of light to remember him, like I do with my mother. I don’t want all the people I love to be confined to a little black cube.

It was this simple passage that made realize that I not only loved, but respected this novel. Before receiving this Arc, I thought I knew what it was all about. The title itself spoke volumes. But Star-Crossed was not only a realistic Ya about a forbidden love and a dystopian world, it was a beautifully crafted story about coming to terms with the things we cannot change. Once upon a time Princess Veila stole some food for her best-friend, without realizing the danger she was putting her in. In doing so, Astana developed an explicable resistance to the pills she was given as daily nutrition, like the other citizens. And her body suffered because of that. A naïve gesture, a slice of cake shared between two girls, that threatened not only to expose Veila, but to condemn her friend to death as well. Torn between stealing more food and finding a solution to save Astana’s life, Veila is arrested and Carr, the love of Veila’s life, is forced to join in a competition, to ensure a lifetime of food for his sister, Astana. Unfortunately, to ensure that, he has to die first.

“I may use those words, but it’s cultural. They don’t reflect what I truly believe.”
“And what’s that?”
I blink. Not once, in any of the interviews, has a candidate turned the spotlight onto me so efficiently.
“I believe in my mother,” I say quietly. “I believe she didn’t cease to exist when her physical body expired. I’ve felt her presence as I walk in the woods. Her touch whispers over me when I tilt my face to the stars, looking for answers. I know she’s here with me, even if she’s in a different realm.”

This novel and its plot were powerful and original. Towards the end I could almost feel Veila’s despair and Carr’s resignation. It made me emotional, but also grateful: this fantasy YA experiment I have been conducting since last May, has allowed me to discover so many delicate gems. And Star-Crossed definitely fits into this category.

Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing for providing me a copy of this. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Hristina.
512 reviews76 followers
August 6, 2018
Star-Crossed is my new favorite book by Pintip Dunn.
I enjoyed the setting especially, there was a sense of whimsicalness throughout the book. The characters were well-developed, distinctive, and well-written. I found the premise interesting and well-executed, and I had a hard time putting this book down.
If you're a fan of sci-fi and romance YA, I'm sure you'll enjoy this book.

*Rating: 5/5 stars
*Copy received through NetGalley
Profile Image for ~ ipsita ✦.
112 reviews37 followers
Genre: Sci-Fi Romance Fantasy
Source: ARC from Netgalley
mybookishvibes Rates: ⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

description

Set in the future where human race is near to destruction and survival in the planet of Dion solely depends on the new evolved Aegis to overcome the limited food problem and supply the colonial people with food pillls instead of real food, as only the Aegis are able to eat and produce the pills for necessity while this comes as a responsibility and gives them shorter life than most to live, whereas sacrifices are a must for the existence of life, saving and finding the fittest body for the dying king doesn't make things easier for Princess Vela Kunchai, contestant for the king's next successor along with her sister, Blanca, her rival in every way possible.
Caught in between her duties to the colony and her devotion to the people, while she uncovers the true nature of her best friend's sickness, and to choose the right path in saving both her father and her one true love Carr's life in the way of the fight for the place of king's successor and to be crowned ultimately as the queen with her own sister; the rightful decisions to take doesn't come as easy for a ruler,
this book is a whirlwind of emotions and rights to serve and to love.

My Thoughts:
Sci-Fi is one of the genre I haven't explored more on and while it always seems like I've had more expectation for a good sci-fi, fantasy novel; this book certainly lived up to all of those.
I loved the plot and the story of this book which proves to be as a brilliant theory and made me even more interested in the book itself.

“This pain, too, will pass. Just hold on, and life will get better. It always does.”

"I’ve felt her presence as I walk in the woods. Her touch whispers over me when I tilt my face to the stars, looking for answers. I know she’s here with me, even if she’s in a different realm.”

"They’re just words. Intangible things that disappear as soon as they’re said. Like particles of dust that blow away when the wind fans pass overhead. Like dew drops that disappear as the day progresses."

"Maybe some things aren’t worth any price. Maybe there’s a fate worse than death."

"That’s the thing with ideals. They’re easy to impose on other people. Not so easy to practice yourself.”

All the characters in this story were put so gracefully, I loved their idols and the history of Dion, a planet new born for the sake of survival of humans and aegis alike. The sisters were my favorite of all, Vela and Blanca, they had a very different kind of relationship; complicated and torn between the right to love and serve. Vela and her father, the king who was her true motivator, I loved their bond throughout the book. And while this came as a surprise to me, I throughly enjoyed reading it.
This book shows one beautiful example of friendship, love, destiny, duties, loyality, dignity and one's moral privilege.

Final Verdict and Ratings:
I'll definitely recommend this book to those who wants to explore more of futuristic story and a good fantasy thriller novel, as I really enjoyed discovering more to this book and I'm very excited to read more books from this genre soon,
and so I am giving this lovely book 4⭐/5 forward it's captivating story.

[ Thanks so much to Entangled Publishing, LLC and Netgalley for providing me a copy of this in exchange for an honest review ]
Profile Image for Lara (Bookish_turtle).
227 reviews196 followers
March 18, 2019
Idk what exactly what about this book it was, but I just didn't enjoy it.

I think it was partially the concept. The fact that there are a group of people whose nutrients have to be extracted from their bodies, turned into pills and used to feed the others... That just weirds me out.

And I didn't really think about it that much before I read it, but it really threw me off for most of the book.

Also, the characters just felt forced and I didn't really root for any of them. Same with the romance.

The ending was also just really anticlimactic and quite predictable as well.

Some parts of this book were okay, but overall I really just didn't enjoy it that much.

But I've read a lot of positive reviews about it, so I guess this one just wasn't for me.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with a review copy! All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for lacy white.
508 reviews54 followers
October 20, 2018
A special thank you goes out to Entangled Teen and Netgalley for allowing me to read this eARC early. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I think this is one of the best books I've ever read for 2018. Hand to god, this was amazing. The concept was incredibly interesting and creative. The MC, Vela, was charming. The love story was swoon-worthy. Everything about this book was perfection and I never wanted it to end.

Let's chat about the concept first. The fact that people can get nutrition from pills and the pills come from people that are allowed to eat was totally wild and something I have yet to read about. It was just beyond crazy to know that some of the colonists had never tasted real food. I like food and can't imagine not being able to eat it.

Vela was awesome. She is of Thai descent and her talking about all the delicious Thai food made me hungry. I loved how charming and down to earth Vela was. She was a princess but she tried to be more than that. She reminded me of Princess Diana as the People's Princess. Vela tried to make sure she knew everybody and what grievances they had. I appreciated her immensely.

The love story between Carr and Vela was adorable. They had known each other all their lives. I love stories like that, where they have known each other all their lives and love each other for their faults and all. They complemented each other in the best way possible. They have gained in a spot in my top 10 favorite couples!

Overall, this was perfect. Absolutely perfect. I seriously cannot recommend this book and the author enough. Pintip is incredibly talented and I can't wait to see what else she does.
Profile Image for Kathryn at Book Ink Reivews.
139 reviews12 followers
August 6, 2018
A copy of this review can be found at Book Ink Reviews.

Thank you to NetGalley, Pintip Dunn, and Entangled Publishing LLC for this free ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed herein are my own.

My heart. Pintip Dunn somehow created a science fiction romance that ripped my heart to shreds and only kind of put it back together again. It was amazing, y'all. Nothing short of that.

Vela is a young woman that has given up 60 of her 90 years of life to become and Ageis. She eats real food so that the nutrients can be harvested from her and transferred into pill capsules to feed the other colonists. While they never get to taste real food, they get to live their full 90 years.<

Enter in the twist: if a colonist tastes food often enough, some will develop a dependency on real food and reject the capsule nutrients. Velas beautiful best friend is one such woman and the best friend's brother has captured Vela's heart from the time they were children.

In this world, there is a food scarcity. Vela's father is the king--but also an Ageis, and the computer behind running scenarios takes note that the king needed to be kept alive past his 30 years as an Ageis to avoid the collapse of the colony. Enter the Fittest Challenge where every 5 years a revolving group of young men and then young women compete to be the one to die and give all their organs to the king. This was my only moment where suspension of belief didn't happen. Because while the sacrifice had to be physically and morally strong, there was no mention of, you know, how they freaking match the donor type to the king's type. But whatever.

To avoid any spoilers, I will stop here. But know that Vela has to make an impossible choice when it comes to the Fittest Trials, and it is beautifully done. At its core, Star-Crossed isn't just about two young lovers--it's about all of the star-crossed, complicated loves a person can have. Friendship, family, and romantic.

Read it. Read it now. You won't be disappointed.
Profile Image for Zili.
790 reviews
October 6, 2018
I've never read anything like Star-Crossed so I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. It's a mixture of many things and is certainly unique!

The story is parts YA dystopia, sci-fi and even fantasy, but is a little confusing at times, to the point where I wasn't sure who I liked and disliked.

As one of her father, the King's future heirs, Princess Vela is tasked with finding a way to save him. If only the best chance of success didn't involve risking her potential love interest Carr...

The world building is quirky and dramatic. In a society where food is extremely limited we meet the Eaters and Non-Eaters. The Eaters are elite members of society who are genetically able to produce food capsules/pills to help feed society. I'm not going to go into the how of this, I'll leave it as a surprise. Let's just say that eating is encouraged and the larger you are, the more beautiful you are.

The concept didn't always sit well with me as it had a strange WALL-E, Jetsons or Hungry meal-with-a-pill vibe, mixed with er feeding baby birds (still with me?), but it was memorable.

I liked Vela and the writing is full of witty moments and dramatic tension. I'm not sure about food as a subject matter, but it could scarily have a real sense of potential in real life with a world facing with global warming and finite resources.

3 Stars in my Sky!

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review!
Profile Image for Jennifer.
344 reviews29 followers
August 21, 2018
In the planet of Dion, the food is scarce and people only rely on nutrition pills to survive. The King is already dying and he wanted to choose between his daughters, Blanca and Vela to become his successor. Both were provided with tasks that they have to pass and prove that they are worthy to be crowned as Queen. This was an interesting story and I had a hard time putting this down! Be prepared to have a roller coaster of emotions when you read this! If you loved The Hunger Games then you might want to check this out too! Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC for providing me a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

"Your life's already shortened. You need to enjoy every moment of it."

"This pain, too, will pass. Just hold on, and life will get better. It always does."

"That's why I fell in love with you. Why you're going to be such a good ruler. Because you've never listened to anything but your own heart."

"Other times, there's a moral imperative that trumps even the most clear-cut quantitative analysis. The task of a ruler is to balance the two, to choose when the moral imperative outweighs the greater good."

Soundtrack: Fighting For You by Quinn Erwin
Profile Image for Lelia Taylor.
872 reviews16 followers
October 10, 2018
Although Star-Crossed is reminiscent of The Hunger Games with its trials, Ms. Dunn has added a dollop of freshness with the concept of people being divided into Eaters and Non-Eaters. Woe to the Non-Eater who loses a trial because the consequences are dire but the truth is no one has a comfortable position in this world that’s focused on fighting off starvation. One facet of the society’s attention to food made me think of how certain “improvements” in our own food supply has led to our acceptance of a loss of taste in some instances. For example, the food gods apparently decided that watermelons need to be seedless but have you really compared the taste of seedless (which is not truly seedless) to seeded, the kind with those big black seeds that are great for spitting? I have to say I have very little interest in the seedless variety because they just don’t have any flavor, a perfect example of improvement gone awry.

At any rate, Vela and the rest of her people are colonists on a distant planet and their original supplies were destroyed, making food the most critical need. In an odd scientific endeavor, they developed a genetic change that enabled some people to consume copious quantities of food and process it to share with others in the form of pills. Now, a new problem has arisen in that the king, Vela’s father, may die and the succession is in question. Vela has to find a way to save the boy she cares for from the ultimate sacrifice while at the same time securing her place and future and her compassionate nature makes her choices even more difficult.

The real question is, when is sacrifice taken too far with the cost being so high that the intended benefit is no longer enough? The young princess is faced with dilemmas that are nearly impossible to resolve without possibly losing a piece of her soul and I empathized with her completely. I simply can’t imagine having to pit the survival of my father against that of the boy I loved but becoming a true queen worthy of the title does require a surrender of personal wants and needs.

I’ve enjoyed Ms. Dunn’s work before and this is no exception; as a standalone, there won’t be any sequel but I’ll eagerly await her next book, whatever it may be.
Profile Image for Kelly.
1,310 reviews502 followers
September 14, 2018
Wow. This book was amazing. I loved it SO MUCH. Seriously, it's one of my favorites I've read this year. So if you'd like to read a romantic YA sci-fi, then I highly recommend it.

In Star-crossed, we follow Princess Vela, daughter of the king who is planning to step down and let one of his daughters rule as the Successor. But to choose which one, they will both be tested by the Council in different ways.

The worldbuilding was so original and creative. I've never read anything like it and I was hooked from the beginning. I also loved the characters and the romance in it was really well-developed.

I couldn't have hoped for a better ending even though it was heartbreaking. Near the end, I was wondering if it was a series or a standalone (I forgot to check before picking it up) as I would have loved to read more about these characters but I'm still very satisfied with the way it ended. And honestly, I don't know if it would have been possible to have a sequel as good as this book.

This is a new author to me and after reading Star-Crossed, I am really curious to see if her other novels are as good as this one.

Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher & author for letting me read and review this book.
October 3, 2018
Goosebumps.

I bet you’re all thinking I’ve finally lost it *snorts* – not quite (despite common opinion)!

Let me explain…

My arms were literally covered in goosebumps when I finished this story. The blurb only gives you a small taste of what to expect from this book. I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I didn’t expect to love it as much as I did.

The story of Vela and the inhabitants of Dion will make you think. Is there such a thing as a Utopian society? What is it they say? – The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Well, this story will have you questioning what you would do in Vela’s situation.

As a race, we all want to survive, but what if the costs are too great? Technological advancements are great and all, but what is the true cost to our humanity?

I know I’m being vague, but I want you to experience this book like I did. I want you to put yourself in Vela’s shoes as she is faced with the task of making life-changing, dare I say, life-altering decisions.

The author’s descriptions of everything that is Dion brought the planet vividly to life for me – just like in the scenes from Vela’s hologram cube. It was a feast for the senses. Ironic really, when some of the colonists can’t use all their senses. Cryptic much, lol?

As I’ve said, this is a story that will make you think, and make you feel. It was the perfect blend of sci-fi, fantasy, dystopian, romance, and suspense. I admit to being a teeny tiny bit in love with Carr. I may be 40, but I just couldn’t help myself *sighs*

The author has sold me on her writing and the worlds she creates. I look forward to reading more in the future.

I’ll leave you with one question – what would you sacrifice for love?!
Profile Image for Mortisha Cassavetes.
2,080 reviews54 followers
January 24, 2019
What an awesomely creative story but I have to say this book made me so hungry! The story follows Princess Vela who lives on a planet away from earth that has very little food. The majority of the people take nutritional pills but Vela sacrificed herself to become Aegis which means she can eat an over abundance of food but she lost sixty years off her life. Vela gets caught sneaking food to her friend and gets put into a jail but soon is released on the condition that she must decide who is the fittest among them to die in order to keep her father, the king, alive. Vela agrees but doesn't realize that her best friend's brother, her crush, is going to compete for the fittest. I do not want to go into the story more as to not spoil it but I highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Dee/ bookworm.
1,314 reviews4 followers
August 13, 2018
#Starcrossed #NetGalley

Wonderful book! This was an exciting read, and there was a lot of situations that you could see a break. If you chose one way you could live with yourself, if you chose another it would eat you alive, but either way you would always wonder, what if...

I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
Profile Image for julia ☆ [owls reads].
1,496 reviews294 followers
September 30, 2018
3 stars.

“You believed in my even when I didn’t.”

Star-Crossed is a dramatic YA novel with an incredibly unique and creative world-building and a pace that picks up speed and doesn’t let up. The story is filled with action, romance, betrayal, and death, with many twists and conflicts coming one right after the other. The characters are interesting, if a little flat, but they keep the plot moving.

Pintip Dunn delivers an extremely creative novel with a world-building that is rather odd in its uniqueness. The book is very much unlike anything readers will have seen before. So much happens in 400 pages that it is a bit difficult to take it all in and process it. Still a rather enjoyable read.

When I say this is unique, it’s because it is unlike any other YA novel I’ve ever read before — and I’ve read a lot. The novel has suuuch an odd premise, but it somehow works within the bounds on Dunn’s writing and does capture your attention for the most part. The pace is too fast for me, which hurts my ability as a reader to connect to the story and care about what’s happening: when tragedy strikes, there’s little time to process it before another twist comes along.

The characters are okay. Vela is a nice narrator and main character, although she’s rather reckless at times. I do appreciate how her heart is in he right place. Her actions are mostly moved due to her love and care of others, something that is really sweet to read about. The King is also interesting in his wisdom, but I do wish we had a little bit more of Blanca.

The romance is quite well-done, if familiar. Like the title promises, it’s very much a star-crossed kind of relationship, but you can expect a happy ending from the book. The progression of that relationship is really lovely, although a tiny bit predictable. It’s still super nice to see how it develops and how the characters come to confess their feelings for each other.

Overall, Star-Cross is the book for those looking for out-of-the-box world-building and unique stories. The fast pace doesn’t let up for a minute, and the romance gives a nice balance to all the conflicts and action.

Series: Standalone.
POV: Told from Vela’s POV.
Content Warnings:
Instalove:
Love Triangle:
Cliffhanger: No.
HEA:
Profile Image for Nikole Clow.
170 reviews1 follower
October 8, 2018
Star-Crossed takes readers to a new and unique world, where there are two different kinds of people: the Aegis and the colonists. Aegis have the ability to ingest more food than the colonists due to genetic modifications that take sixty years of their life. With that genetic modification, Aegis are able to feed everyone with nutrition pills. This itself is a unique concept. I’ve read a decent amount of YA Sci-Fi, but none had this concept where people give up sixty years of their life to feed their nation with pills. Not to mention the colonists have never tried real food. Imagine having a life where you take a nutrition pill and never know the taste of real food. It sounds quite horrible, in my opinion (both options do).

The author knows how to weave a fantastical world together. There’s enough detail to bring the story to life and make the readers feel like they are part of that world. What I found nice was that the story did not focus on heaving world building, but rather what happened to the characters. Princess Vela is the heart of the story, and the plot brings her story together wonderfully. As the reader, expect plot twists and a killer on the loose. I was able to figure out some of the plot twists, but I was still pleasantly surprised by the ones I did not figure out. In no way does this story feel like it just ends or it cuts to the chase too fast; it’s perfectly paced.

Pintip Dunn does a wonderful job with character building and differentiation. Each character has their own personality and a strong relationship with Princess Vela. Princess Vela and her sister, Princess Blanca, are so exceptionally different, and it’s fascinating to see how each tackles their assignment for who will be the next successor. Vela handles her assignment with heart and demonstrates a type of leadership she never knew she had; whereas Blanca is more headstrong and listens to the facts instead of her heart. Vela’s relationship with Astana is heartwarming and like any friendship; their friendship reminded me of the one I have with my best friend, and how I would do anything for her, just like Vela. And then there is Carr, the boy Vela has always loved. I saw the love they both had for each other, and that love only increased as the Trials continued.

Overall, I really enjoyed Star-Crossed. I liked how it was realistic enough in the sense that Princess Vela knew there were things she could not change, and things she could. Pintip blends Sci-Fi, mystery, and romance well to weave together a beautiful story. This was the first book I’ve read by Pintip Dunn, and I plan on definitely reading more by her. Star-Crossed is out now!

Recommended for readers who love sc-fi, unique plots, a little mystery, and a budding romance.
Profile Image for Charbear.
80 reviews
January 4, 2019
I won a copy of Star-Crossed through a goodreads giveaway; the first one I won in years! I was so excited to receive this book. It got lost in the mail of course, for about a month, and once it finally arrived I was excited!

Unfortunately, I did not love the book as I hoped I would. I did like it ok, but it didn't wow me. Honestly after I read the blurb, the plot sounded so strange to me, the logic of it didn't make a lot of sense. It was different and stood out for sure, but the logistics of people eating all the food then getting the nutrients sucked out of them just didn't make sense. But I went in with an open mind, and the more I read, I was able to stretch my imagination and go with it.

So first, just a few pros:
THAT COVER. It's beautiful. It's what made me enter the giveaway in the first place. Good job whoever designed it.
Stand out plot. You remember it for sure.
I enjoyed the writing style. First person from the main character.

Cons:
The nutrition pill plot point. It's a little much.
The book is so long, I will be honest and let you know I skimmed a lot and still managed to finish the story and still follow the plot. I knew who the bad guy was, who he framed, who all he killed, and how he sabotaged the competition for "the most fit". So, the story is dragged out a bit too much for me, I feel the book could have been shorter.

Now, things really picked up for me around chapter 32. My interest picked back up and I blazed through to the end. Some reviews say the bad guy was super obvious from the get go, but I'm not so sure about that. I think it was well written.

The ending though was what brought my review to 2 stars. I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone so I'll be vague, but honestly the ending just seemed to anti climatic and a little ridiculous it sort of ruined the book for me. It reveals the reasoning behind all the trials to find the Fittest and it just seemed too far fetched. They put the two main character through a lot for what doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me. But that's personal opinion, not everyone will feel the same on that.

Overall I have to say the writing style was good and while the plot is bothersome for a lot of readers, it wasn't horrible. The author did manage to get my pretty wrapped up in the story at some parts; it sucked me in for sure, so she does have a good writing style. Even though this whole new nutrition plan of Eaters vs. non eaters and pills and what not bothered a lot of people, I could get past that. I could suspend my disbelief and roll with it; the ending is what I didn't like, so it took it from a 3 star "I liked it" review, to a 2 star "it was ok", for me. If you enjoy romance in a dystopian setting, I recommend the book for you.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
1,525 reviews91 followers
June 28, 2019
Blog | YouTube | Instagram

What stood out to me for this book was the interesting concept – the fact that people would essentially volunteer to give up a great portion of their lives but in return, eat everything that they can and then siphon those nutrients into pills for the rest of the colony. For me, it’s such a unique concept and honestly if it was up to me, I can’t decide which I would prefer: eat everything but then die a lot younger or only eat these nutrition pills but live your full life. What a dilemma! What would you pick?

Unfortunately though, I found that the rest of the book was just okay. I wasn’t terribly invested in Vela nor was I invested in her romance with Carr. That particular romance just never really grew on me. For me, the only other redeeming aspect other than the unique concept was the mystery behind everything. And that’s the main reason why I continued with this book.

I was also confused with some of the elements such as the full organ transplant. In theory, I get it because they want a stable ruler and after a certain age, organs start to fail. However, there are numerous points that seem a bit far-fetched to me. First of all, I have never heard of ALL the major organs failing at the same time. Second of all, is it really necessary to kill a young boy or girl for the transplant especially every 5 years? I would sure hope that IRL when people get organ transplant, they don’t need to do the transplant every 5 years otherwise I’m pretty sure we would definitely get an organ shortage. This whole concept just seems incredibly bizarre to me and I wish that the author either went into more details about why or how or simply did more research so it seems more legit.

Overall, the book was just okay. There were definitely a lot of potential but I think the execution was subpar especially for the characters and the romance.
Profile Image for USOM.
2,277 reviews190 followers
October 12, 2018
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Star-Crossed is a story about friendship, family, and love. The world building in Star-Crossed is rich and the details of the food made my own mouth water. But what I loved about Star-Crossed was the main character of Vela. She’s kind hearted and empathetic, and struggling. Vela struggles with knowing what is right and what is wrong, not in principle, but in what she should sacrifice. She has to make hard choices that effect people she loves.
Profile Image for Shelby (Grace with Books).
513 reviews209 followers
November 26, 2019
Star-Crossed was ultimately a really good book although hard to get into at first. There is little context at the beginning so you are sort of thrown into this new world. Once you start to understand the world and its laws, it becomes a really enjoyable read!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 114 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.