Start by marking “Black Magic Women: Terrifying Tales by Scary Sisters” as Want to Read:
Black Magic Women: Terrifying Tales by Scary Sisters

Black Magic Women: Terrifying Tales by Scary Sisters

Imagine horror where black characters aren’t all tropes and the first to die; imagine a world written by black sisters where black women and femmes are in the starring roles. From flesh-eating plants to flesh eating bees; zombies to vampires to vampire-eating vampire hunters; ghosts, revenants, witches and werewolves, this book has it all. Cursed drums, cursed dolls, curse ...more
Paperback, First Edition
Published February 15th 2018 by Mocha Memoirs Press

To ask other readers questions about Black Magic Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Magic Women

Start your review of Black Magic Women: Terrifying Tales by Scary Sisters
Ezinwanyi
Review of Black and Deadly by Dicey Grenor.
This short story featured sisters Badu, Maajida, and Kabira, descendants of the Black Magic Women. The teacher, attorney and nurse were commiserating about the injustices continually perpetuated against their race. The Sisters were so incensed that they decided to ask their ancestors for help in affecting vengeance. Their actions set off a chain of events that will have lasting effects.

This story was very short and writing was smooth.
Emily
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
"I believe it is important for the self-esteem of a people to be able to envision ourselves as heroes." -Sumiko Saulson

Black Magic Women is an awesome and important anthology edited by Sumiko Saulson - these are all horror stories by black women. I enjoyed this book, and I was introduced to many new authors whose work I had not read before. If you are looking for more diverse horror, I think Black Magic Women is an excellent place to start.

I rated all of the stories in this book bet
James Goodridge
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a blogger that does reviews for www.horroraddicts.net I received a ARC of Black Magic Women : Terrifying Tales by Scary Sisters. This anthology is going to be a must read for years to come when it comes to a who's who of top shelf women horror writers of color. If your staple is zombies, vampires etc... this is a book for you. Crisp writing in general and plot twists by writers such as Lori Titus, Valjeanne Jeffers, Crystal Connors, and Nina Polina just to name a few are for the readers enjoyment. Labor of love e ...more
Sumiko Saulson
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
EDITOR'S REVIEW:

I am honored to have been on board as the editor of this project, and to have been one of the first people to read the wonderful variety of stories in this book, all written by black women, most staring a black woman, and all prominently featuring black women as important parts of the narrative, not background or set dressing. Black Magic Women is part of an important movement to showcase and uplift black women who write horror.

As the editor, for me, the s
Darrell Grizzle
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection of stories from several different subgenres of horror, all written by talented Black Women authors. I especially liked the stories dealing with dark magic from various cultures. Two standout stories are The Lost Ones by Valjeanne Jeffers and Blood Magnolia by Nicole Givens Kurtz. I hope Jeffers and Kurtz will revisit the worlds they created here in future stories or novels.
Stephen Alexander
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror fans, short story fans,
Great Halloween read. You'll find a scary story that you'll like, even if you're a picky reader.
I really liked "Tricia and Peter by Kamika Aziza" because it invoked The Walking Dead TV show in some ways and the need to forge bonds in difficult situations.

I covered this for my booktube program on youtube. It was one of my favorite reads of the later half of the year.
Katara Johnson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black Magic Women

These stories were masterpieces in a terrifying way!! Each story had me on the edge of what will happen next . (Not to mention some had me huddled in a corner lol)
B.J. Sikes
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some creepy stories but with a feminist bent.
E.F.
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scary and utterly new - this is a fantastic anthology not to be missed.
Maya Preisler
Oct 21, 2019
Eric Gunther
Mar 07, 2019
Chris
Dec 29, 2018
Tabitha Thompson
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Akimak Sittam
Jan 18, 2018
Kenesha Williams
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: female-protag, horror
Valjeanne Jeffers
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Michael
Sep 23, 2018
Lawana Holland-Moore
Mar 04, 2018
L.H. Moore
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tabitha Thompson
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sharon
Jan 17, 2018
MFCOMMAND
Jan 17, 2018
Lori Titus
Jan 20, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Frances
Sep 18, 2018

• Chosen
  • Fell For a Billionaire Vampire
  • Deadly Secrets Hunters Reign: The Crown Series Book 1
  • I Wrote This For You (I Wrote This For You #4)
  • Middlegame
  • The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick
  • Gut Symmetries
  • Suipsalms
  • Calm Assurance (Orlosian Warriors #1)
  • Into a Paris Quartier: Reine Margot's Chapel and Other Haunts of St. Germain
  • Soft Apocalypses
  • Welcome to the Show
  • Faking It (Dempseys, #2)
  • Heart Of The Hun (Once Upon A Villain, #8)
Sumiko Saulson is a science-fiction, fantasy and horror writer and graphic novelist. She was the 2016 recipient of the Horror Writer Association's Scholarship from Hell. Her works include the reference guide 60 Black Women in Horror Fiction, novels include Solitude, The Moon Cried Blood, Happiness and Other Diseases, Somnalia, Insatiable and the Amazon bestselling horror comedy Warmth.

She has wri