Start by marking “Making Peace: Personal Essays” as Want to Read:
Making Peace: Personal Essays

Making Peace: Personal Essays

At a time when society has become so violent that school children conceal weapons in their waistbands, Eugene England suggests that everyone take a moment to reconsider where they stand on issues. Using his hallmark literary forms of personal essay and autobiographical short story, he draws examples from his own life to illustrate the complexities people face at home, in ...more
Published July 1st 1995 by Signature Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Making Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Peace

Start your review of Making Peace: Personal Essays
Bryan Sebesta
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If repentance signifies a change of mind and heart, this book repented me. That's the best way to put it. It's a brilliant and personal examination of how to achieve peace, written by a man who, the more I learn about, the more I am astounded at his personal example. England was a great man.

This book looks at things that divide us, and offers possible explanations as to why, and how, we can be united. He explores the problem of unity among diversity; partisan politics; why Nephi killed Laban;
Terry Earley
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a truly enjoyable book of essays, expanding my understanding and appreciation of a deep thinker.

His first, title essay, "Finding Peace" is refreshing and pertinent to today's social and political climate, where justice quickly evolves to vengeance. "Pre-emptive" strikes against perceived "enemies" are the norm, and hate and suspicion replace conversation and actual work towards dualism.

The chapter on why Utahns should change parties to Democrats was instructive. though written in the
Mike
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Eugene England is quickly becoming my favorite LDS writer. Although a couple of the essays get bogged down a little in descriptions, I enjoyed all of them and a few should be 'must-reads' for all Latter-day Saints. Some of my favorites were "On Spectral Evidence, Scapegoating, and False Accusation", "Thou Shalt Not Kill: An Ethics of Non-violence", "No Respecter of Persons: An Ethics of Diversity", and "Why Utah Mormons Should be Democrats: Reflections on Partisan Politics."
Cynthia
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My goal is read everything Eugene England has written. I loved so many of these short "memoirs" and stories. I read this book a couple of years ago and could have sworn I wrote a glowing review then of this book. Thank goodness for Brother England!
Kelianne
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it
I wish I could remove and keep by my bedside essays five and six, "Why Utah Mormons Should Become Democrats: Reflections on Partisan Politics" and "Jacaranda." There are others I appreciated as well (especially "'No Respecter of Persons': An Ethics of Diversity.")

Christian Axelgard
Apr 28, 2010 is currently reading it
From my folks, reading with Jenny. It makes us talk a lot. I wish this guy had been around in my days at BYU.
Sharman Wilson
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Eugene England is my favorite Mormon essayist and this book is one I go back to again and again. His ideas have influenced me probably more than any modern Mormon writer.
Deja
Apr 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Really enjoyed a few essays out of here, didn't feel as interested in the others, but I anticipate I'll pick it up again.
Ariane
Mar 08, 2010 added it
I liked the essay about why Utah Mormons should become Democrats.
Paul Garns
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love it. And love my man Eugene.
Anord
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just an amazing book. Loved essays 1,2,3,5,8,9 & 11. What a great mind!
Anita
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books in the last 5 years. Clearly an independent thinker. His writing is "easy on the eyes", i.e. an enjoyable experience.
Pixie
Nov 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Reading this in pieces as I have time and desire. So far, it's absolutely wonderful.
Daryoung
Danielle
Oct 30, 2011
Jeff
Jun 29, 2008
A remarkable teacher, writer, and human being, Eugene England (1933-2001) profoundly influenced thousands of students, readers, and colleagues. A tireless advocate of what he called great books and true religion, he co-founded Dialogue, the first independent Mormon scholarly journal, and the Association for Mormon Letters. His thought-provoking personal essays explored the issues of belief, peace, ...more

News & Interviews

“Trust, like Christ-like love, is to be extended not because others deserve it but because they need it, because they can become trustworthy (or loving) by being nurtured in a community of trust and love. We need to extend trust, even if doing so makes us vulnerable to pain and great cost, in order to save our own souls.” 4 likes