Start by marking “Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2) (Only, #6)” as Want to Read:
Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2) (Only, #6)

Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2) (Only #6)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  2,400 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews

Orphaned at thirteen, a mail-order bride at fourteen, widowed at sixteen, Sarah Kennedy has learned to depend upon no one but herself--reserving all her love for her younger brother Conner, and for the wounded hawks she heals and returns to the air.

Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published October 1st 1997 by Avon (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2)

Lover of Romance
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance My-Review-Updated-1
Summary
Sarah Kennedy hasn't had a easy time of it, married at fourteen, widowed a couple years later and she has learned to be strong and independent and fight for herself and those she protects, including her younger brother. Sarah is overprotective of her brother, and a healer of damaged beings including her hawks. But while out on her ranch, she finds a new protector, not one she wants. Case Maxwell, is out for revenge for the murde
Rhapsody
Dec 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: romance fans who like the lone female on the ranch setting
Shelves: romance, fiction
My first book by Lowell. I found it a little disappointing. Then again, the one I wanted to read was Only Mine but I started the wrong one by accident and by the time I was sure I was reading the wrong book, it was too late to stop. Sarah, a young widow, is living out in Utah with her younger brother Conner. She's had a hard life; her entire family died in a flood when she was very young, and then she had to care for Conner. She married an abusive drunk out of desperation and now that he's gone, ...more
Elsa Bravante
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aunque la autora en ocasiones se pierde en descripciones y diàlogos sonrosantes, como las anteriores de la saga es un buen libro del oeste, bien escrito, con buenos personajes y su dosis de sensualidad.
Angela
Aug 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, ebooks
So to continue my burst of Elizabeth Lowell romance reading, I jumped from the Only quartet over to the duology she did about the Maxwell brothers, Autumn Lover and Winter Fire. As it happened I read the latter first, but it didn't make much difference; after all, this flavor of romance does follow a predictable formula, and it wasn't like I didn't know that the gunslinger and girl du jour in the first book would get their happily ever after, and most likely show up in Book 2.

But all that aside,
Laurla2
"use your head for something more than a hat rack."

"i'm about as useless as teats on a bull."

"ten days lying here on my back have left me weak as a kitten."
"a kitten? even lions dont have cubs like you."

"dont let hope get to you. all it will do is hurt you."
"no, memory hurts. hope heals. without it we would spend our life in pain."

"go talk to your horse's butt. it has more sense than you do."
J.R. Ward
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In love with this series too even though I don't like Westerns.... Elizabeth Lowell was and is my romance author hero.
Ariel
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this book and series
SK
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book had the promise of being such a great book. The author has a nice writing style that draws you in with her attention to detail but without being excessively wordy and depiction of characters that initially draws you in BUT you quickly become bored as the author keeps dipping into the same well of artificial conflict that will have you yawning and wonder when is this book going to come to an end. There are ENDLESS scenes where the two characters are lusting after one another and failing ...more
Sue
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-novels
Not terrible but a bit melodramatic; not as interesting as her other books.
Anna
May 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Really fucking terrible, great for reading on the metro.
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Silly men.
LJ
WINTER FIRE - VG
Lowell, Elizabeth - part of Only series

Orphaned at thirteen, a mail-order bride at fourteen, widowed at sixteen, Sarah Kennedy has learned to depend upon no one but herself-reserving all her love for her younger brother Conner, and for the wounded hawks she heals and returns to the air.

A hardened Civil War veteran, personal tragedy has taught Case Maxwell three things: to be a patient, deadly fighter, to love nothing that can die; and that justice is blind. But when a confrontati
Copper78
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This was so much better than I was even hoping for. I am stunned it hasn't come across my radar before now! I love historical western romances and have searched for great ones regularly over the years and I can't recall this one being mentioned, but I will certainly be reading of this series by Elizabeth Lowell. In addition, The Outsider by Penelope Williamson is one of my all time favorite books and I have often asked other readers if they can recommend anything similar or comparable, and no on ...more
Mary Kay
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it
My grandmother, who passed away 10 years ago, loved romance novels. I found this book on the shelves of my grandparents' house over Thanksgiving weekend as my family sorted through their belongings to prepare their house for sale in the spring, since my grandfather moved into a nursing home this fall. The story is set in Utah during Reconstruction. As a Utah native and a descendent of the Utah pioneers, I can see why my grandmother picked up this book (in November 1996, as evidenced by the recei ...more
Chris
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Traditional romance novel. Easy reading. Set in the west sometime after the Civil War. The two protagonists have been deeply hurt by life, one turned their back on emotion to survive, the other did not. How they each moved to overcoming their fears and find each other and move forward is the crux, but there is gun-fighting, treasure-hunting, raiders, secrets, and scraping out life in the backcountry in the late 1800's that surrounds it all. And yes, sex...hot sex too.
Her descriptions of the land
Stéphanie Giusti
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this was my first book from this author. And i more than i liked it, i spent my evening not being able to stop reading until i know what would happen in the end. I liked Sarah she was a sweet yet strong-willed woman. And thats something which i do prefer over an heroine who keeps on crying. i could see myself inrhe description of how she acted with her little bro. since my mom passed away i took her role in a way. And of course i LOVED Case and the w1y both interact with each other. it was a bea ...more
Jamie
Oct 24, 2013 added it
Audiobook recording is frustrating. The narrator whispers quite often. Her voice is low, in and of itself, rough, and gravelly. At a whisper it is really difficult to hear. And often, the narrator goes immediately from whispering to what sounds like shouting, blowing out your ear drums.

Narrator aside, I found the book to be well structured. The characters were sympathetic, and believable. The relationship and tension between the two very well developed. Although certain aspects of the plot line
Jacqueline
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't think this was great but it fulfilled "book with season in the title" for the Popsugar reading challenge. This is a genre I don't normally read, either.
Teri-K
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
If Zane Gray or Louis L'Amour wrote romantic Westerns they might have written this. It has really good but tortured good guys and really nasty bad ones. The setting was pretty well described and I only caught a couple of small inaccuracies. There were a few sex scenes but they were short. I chose this because I needed a book set in Utah and wanted one without motorcycle gangs or Mormons, and I enjoyed it. I'll probably read another by the author some day.
Jewel
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I can't believe I enjoyed this so much. I actually liked reading a western romance. Who knew? Case, our dashing hero, was regularly described as having been out on the range so long that he hadn't shaved in ages and had grown a beard. Couple this with the fact that I kept imagining how badly he must have smelled. Yet, despite my thinking he must have been gross, I loved this book. I really did. It's a winner.
Tatrd
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Sarah Kennedy & Case Maxwell
Sarah's entire family is killed by a flood except her younger brother so she marries an abusive man at age 14. Her brother kills a man who was looking for Spanish silver treasure. Case is hunting the people who murdered his whole family except his brother who was in the war with him. Cse finds killers near Sarah's ranch. She nurses him to health after a gun fight but he never wants to love anything that can die.
Amy
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was very slow to get started so it was a little bit hard getting into it. I also thought that it lacked a larger plot. Not that I don't like the book at all or anything. I was just thinking that it needed something a little more exciting than all the romance. And quite honestly I think we spent a little bit too much time in bed with the main couple. That's just me though. I would have liked to of gotten to know Ute a little better. And I did like Lola.
Kendra
Great book! There were definite times when you wanted to smack the hero but the caring between hero and heroine was genuine and a pleasure to read. The plot was exciting and all the side characters enjoyable. A nice balance of romance, plot, learning to trust, character development, and more. Definitely recommend.
Kristi
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is exactly what a historical romance should be-- a blend of historical background, colored with a love story that gives the time period and characters depth. The characters have unique goals and challenges from their backgrounds to overcome, but the reader is constantly engaged in their struggles and triumphs. I look forward to reading more about the Maxwell family, soon!
Sue
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Sarah was a good heroine. She was strong, independent and a really hard worker. Her fault was that she was quick to take Case back even after he treated her coldly after their night of passion. The reason that I didn't give it 4 stars was that I felt that Case finally admitted that he loved Sarah in the last page of the book. Too little too late if you ask me.
Hany Zala Dragneel
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
a very intense story of moving on and being able to live on despite all the things that happened in the past . . i find the story captivating in its own way and maybe you'll find it captivating, too if you'll have a go at it ;) !
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
One of my favorite westerns in print. The narration by Laural Merlington, however,is too sharp and I didn't enjoy her interpretation of the hero in particular. Audio is, at best, a 3 star. With my love of the print book, I can still grade it 4 stars.
Hany Grace
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Anita
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this is such a good read its a great story of a rough man had been hurt a lot by life lossing his kids and trying to cope. and about a woman with a broken heart hopeing one day she can heal the wounds her abusive husband left her.
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
A hunt for treasure and vengeance in the Wild West. I've read this many times over many years, and it's a treat to read Elizabeth Lowell before she went the way of the romantic suspense/action genre. Lots of sadness in this one, but I think it's done beautifully.
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • Surrender A Dream
  • A Necessary Husband (Necessary, #1)
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Taken by Desire
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • Bride for a Night
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • Thief of Hearts
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • Promises Reveal (Promises, #4)
  • The Bride's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy, #1)
  • Midnight Warrior
  • Dream of Me/Believe in Me (Viking & Saxon, #1 & #2)
  • A Heart So Wild (Straton Family, #1)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...

Only (6 books)
  • Only His (Only Series, #1)
  • Only Mine (Only Series, #2)
  • Only You (Only, #3)
  • Only Love (Only Series, #4)
  • Autumn Lover (Maxwells, #1) (Only, #5)