Start by marking “Skylarks” as Want to Read:
Skylarks

Skylarks

We watch the bird as it flies high above us, singing like it's the only thing in the world that matters.
And I feel it - that life can be beautiful. That there are possibilities.

Keep your head down and don't borrow trouble is the motto Joni lives by, and so far it's seen her family through some tough times. It's not as if she has the power to change anything important anyw
Published May 3rd 2018 by Bloomsbury (first published March 3rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Skylarks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skylarks

Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqa, contemporary, arcs
4.5/5

This book is honestly beautiful! It was heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time, and I loved every bit of it.

It shows a relationship between two girls from very different social/economic backgrounds, the struggles of class divides and social / political activism of young people.

I really loved Joni's perspective, it was such a joy to read, and I loved how her relationship with Annabelle developed over the book. It was just so natural and normal and not rushed which seems to happen
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya, standalones
So, I read this book in one sitting, and as soon as I finished I wanted to go straight back to the beginning, and read it all over again because it was perfect!

Set against the beautiful backdrop of Wiltshire (woo west-country!), Joni and Annabel are falling in love despite being from completely different financial backgrounds. Annabel's never had to worry about money, and her parents have far too many expectations of her, and Joni's constantly having to consider the price of petrol or a loaf of
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
↠ 4.5 stars

This was DELIGHTFUL. Like, really, really awesome and sweet and heartwarming and thoughtful and fun. This is an absolutely charming contemporary sapphic romance, and I really hope there's much more stuff like this in future. YA LGBTQ+ is heavily skewed towards m/m lit, and you don't see much f/f stuff and I really hope this will change.

In Skylarks, the main theme is this idea of class dichotomy between working class and upper class. Jodi, the heroine, and Annabel, the love interest,
Maddie
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ukya, stand-alones, arcs
A really sweet and eye opening f/f romance that I'd love to see more of in YA. Karen Gregory's treatment of different social backgrounds is so interesting, necessary, and gave a unique spin to a contemporary I'd never seen before.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Skylarks is a standalone YA F/F Romance novel that was heartbreakingly beautiful but really tackled a lot of difficult topics very well. The main character Joni lives on an estate with her family and could be evicted out of their home. She also works a Saturday job at the local library as well as studying a-levels in Sixth Form. When a new girl called Annabel starts working at the library, their connection is tested in lots of ways. Annabel is from a wealthy background and can almost anything sh ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BOOK HANGOVER ALERT.

Also I'm a blubbering mess of tears.
Jess
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Charlotte Annelise
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Skylarks is a sweet and somewhat confrontational read about the relationship between two girls. It delves into the main character's family life, which is very dependent on money. Joni is constantly worrying about how her family is going to stay afloat, and her job at the library is necessary in helping out with the finances. At the library, a girl named Annabel starts volunteering, and Joni is initially struck by how privileged she is.

The main character, Joni, has qualities about her that felt v
Atlas
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s, lgbt-characters, ya
"I guess that's what happens when you don't say the stuff you really want to; it builds up inside until it comes crashing out whether you like it or not"

* * * *
4 / 5

Skylarks is a cute, thoughtful, contemporary f/f YA romance centred around British class struggles. There's two sides to this book: the enemies-to-lovers romance with the rich girl on one side, and the difficulty of being a poor working-class family on the other. Skylarks is full of emotion and a quick, engaging read.

"I know we're mo
Natasha
Review also on my blogBookstagram

Rep: lesbian mc, f/f romance

I received an arc from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review

What drew me into this book 100% was the cover. And can you blame me? It's beautiful. So to find out if was an f/f book I was even more excited.

So this book follows a girl named Joni. She's not in the best situation with her family as they're struggling a lot financially. She's worrying a lot about it and works a low wage job at a library. A girl na
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bloomsbury
Karen Gregory creates such wonderfully realistic narratives about life and human struggles. The honest, working class family on the verge of financial ruin due to big corporation purchasing their small, low income housing estate with plans to raise the rent beyond the means of residents. Working parents with young families, single parents on pensions and the elderly that call Cherry Tree estate home. Including the Cooper family.

To help make ends meet, Joni Cooper works at her local library over
Ann Elise Monte
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A friend on Twitter brought this to my attention when it was on Netgalley. F/F with a working class lesbian MC who works in a library. Excellent.

See this review on my blog.

Details at a glance:

Format: e-ARC

Pairings: F/F

Sexual content: Non-explicit

Rep: Working class lesbian MC, lesbian LI, Black supporting character(?)

Content warnings: Classism (challenged), ableism, sexual harassment (off-page)

***

It took me a while to read this, but that was likely more my fault than the book.

Joni has a very stro
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own.

I have to admit, initially I really struggled with this book, it took me a while to get through it and I am struggling to write this review.
Joni was a character I felt I could connect with but then she would do things that really frustrated me and made me start to dislike her. However, by the end of the novel I did find some common ground with her.

The themes within
Andrea Tome
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hannah
I received this book via NetGally in exchange for an honest review

Actual rating 4.5

I loved this, it was refreshing and deeply political all at once. This is a book not only about love but also about poverty, wealth and how they interact along with the importance of living for yourself and not just to be what others may expect from you.

Joni's POV was brilliant, we saw so many problems through her eyes and she was a genuinely likeable character too (most of the time). I don't think I've oft
Kelsea
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-paper, reviewed
3.5🌟 (maybe? or 4? still deciding)

This YA book is a cute f/f romance (they meet while working together at a library!) mixed with a book about financial inequality and the realities of doing your best to make your voice heard against a more powerful force.

The f/f storyline wasn’t just your standard YA romance! Yes, there were familiar elements, but there were also unexpected parts to the story, which kept it feeling fresh.

The inequality storyline was woven in nicely. Hard to read but for the righ
trufflebooks
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
3.5/5 STARS. This review can also be found on my BLOG!

Hey Guys! Hope you're all doing well. First of all, thank you to the lovelies at Bloomsbury Publishing for kindly sending me a copy of Skylarks in exchange for an honest review. This review is definitely honest, especially since this was not my favourite Bloomsbury book but it was still a great read.

Review Time!

Writing Style

This book was written pretty well. It was definitely an easy read although it had its small downsides. I didn't like the
Moni Lareva
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
No tenía muchas expectativas con este libro pero me ha encantado de principio a fin. Una historia que emociona y llega por lo real que es.
bookellenic
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful gut-wrenching and thought-provoking story! This is the contemporary I didn’t know I needed in my life!

“The future is like that great white sky above me- I don’t have a clue what I’m supposed to write on it. What I’m allowed to.”

In this novel we follow Joni, a seventeen-year-old girl trying to help her family deal with their financial issues and juggle schoolwork and her jobs. We learn she is an openly gay character in the beginning of the book, and while I was glad to read about
Mar 04, 2018 added it
lesbians! working class rep! (the MC has, shocker of shockers, a JOB!) politics! kissing! birds! this was good, full review to come
Lotte
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I got a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. You can also check out this review on my blog.

I think this is an important book. For one, it normalizes f/f relationships in a context that's for once not necessarily about homophobia and coming out (although we need those books, they just need to be not the only books about LGBTQ+ people). It's important to have stories with f/f and m/m relationships that aren't always about the struggle with the sexuality itself, but ju
Greyson [Use Your Words]
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me an advanced reader copy in exchange for my honest review.
Rosanna Threakall
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first ever f/f book and it was wonderful! Such a lovely story. Annabel is a fab character.
Megan  (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received this free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Joni and her family have been living paycheck to paycheck for as long as she can remember. With a Dad who can’t work due to a back injury, Joni and her family have to pull together and support each other to keep afloat. Then Joni meets Annabel, rich and privileged – everything Joni isn’t. But, there is something undeniably between them. A spark. The closer they become, the more Joni thinks she might be falling i
Lexi // libraryoflexi
I received a copy from Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review.

I struggled through parts of this and skim read through others and enjoyed the leftovers. It was quite an interesting plot line but I just couldn't get into it. I didn't feel particularly inclined to rally behind Joni. She grew on me towards the end but I found her quite annoying to start with.
I did love the family dynamics between Joni and her family, and then seeing how two different families can operate, money or not.

I kinda w
Kayla
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

I had no idea what to expect when I started this and it definitely was something. This book follows our main characters as she struggles with her sexuality and her feelings for a girl, this causes a lot of problems with her family and their approval of the relationship. Aside from that her family are getting evicted from their home.

The book was really
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
Skylarks is a beautiful f/f contemporary that tackles class divide, poverty and political activism with nuance and a side of romance.

Joni works hard to support her family but there's never quite enough and now the estate they live on has been sold so that it can be redeveloped to jack up the rent and kick out long time residents. Working at the library, Joni properly meets Annabel for the first time. Annabel comes from a wealthy family, the kind that has their name on the sides of buildings. Sh
filming.pages
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2018
*Thank you NetGalley and Karen Gregory for the free copy of this book in exchange with an honest review*

This is the first LGBTQ+ novel I've ever read and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was pretty fresh and it really dealt with the struggles gay people encounter when their close ones and society in general, doesn't approve of their relationship.

The way the divide between middle and upper classes was portrayed was pretty nice and well thought out. Nothing was exactly as it appeared, eve
Maddison
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book started off super cute but I just found it dragged a little bit at the end. Straight away I knew (view spoiler) And I was still pleased for it.
I think it just took me that little bit too long to read. I loved the cuteness of the relationship, and also the deeper aspects to the story. I actually though that (view spoiler)
Stacey
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

"When she was little, Joni used to have dreams that she could fly. But these days her feet are firmly on the ground – they have to be when money's tight and her dad can't work and the whole family has to pull together to keep afloat.

Then she meets Annabel. Annabel is everything Joni isn't, and yet there's a spark between them. Though Joni barely believes it at first, she thinks they might be
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: Skylarks by Karen Gregory - Starting 14th July 24 17 Aug 01, 2018 09:03PM
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • The Ship to Nowhere: On Board the Exodus
  • The Weight of a Thousand Feathers
  • We Are Young
  • Night Swimming
Karen is a graduate of Somerville College, Oxford, and a project manager by day who’s become adept at writing around the edges (strong coffee and a healthy disregard for housework help). A confirmed bookhead since early childhood, Karen wrote her first story about Bantra the mouse at the age of twelve, then put away the word processor until her first child was born when she was overtaken by the ur ...more