Start by marking “Are You Loathsome Tonight?: A Collection of Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Are You Loathsome Tonight?: A Collection of Short Stories

Are You Loathsome Tonight?: A Collection of Short Stories

This collection by Poppy Z. Brite, author of Exquisite Corpse and Love in Vein, among others, features anew story, Monday's Special. Poppy contributed story notes as well as the Preface.
Published May 4th 2007 by Gauntlet Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Are You Loathsome Tonight?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You Loathsome Tonight?

Bark (2 Dumb 2 Read Blurbs)
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Are You Loathsome Tonight?" is a little pricey for such a small volume (185 pages) but as a big fan of Poppy Z. Brite's work I felt it was worth splurging on. Why? Because I got a quickie update on two of my favorite lovers, Trevor and Zach from "Drawing Blood" who, as she puts it, are still in "happy, disgusting, perfect love" - that short story alone was worth the cost of the book for me. Other highlights were "King of the Cats" a sweet, kinky, imaginative retelling of the fairytale "The Poor ...more
Skirmish
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, poppy-z-brite
Book Reaction: http://neverhollowed.tumblr.com/tagge...
Soundtrack: http://neverhollowed.tumblr.com/tagge...
Rating: 4 Stars - minor quibbles but I loved it to bits
Juushika
In twelve stories, Brite explores the darkest recesses of the human id, its erotic and violent drives, its deepest motivations. Reading Brite is often like reading fanfiction in the best, and most essential, sense: her writing is so id-motivated that it's the purest sort of wish-fulfillment--not despite, but rather because of, its lingering and loving gruesome detail. It's about death and drugs and feces; it's about what those conjure and where they originate, for characters but more often for r ...more
Robert Beveridge
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Poppy Z. Brite, Are You Loathsome Tonight? (Gauntlet, 1998)

I've read some of Poppy Z. Brite's novels over the course of the last ten years, but have somehow not read any of her short stories until now. Perhaps, judging by the reviews, this wasn't the best place to start. If so, I can't wait to get to the other collections I have lined up.

Most fans (and professional reviewers) seem to consider this one a weaker piece of output. While some of the criticisms are justified (not knowing some of the c
Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You
a long preface, but bear with me...
Brite is one of those authors with a fiercely devoted following that seethes with energy and anger and ferociousness and love... i often dislike unbridled fan appreciation, since it often leads to gushing about trivial and sophomorically written pieces or various length and dubious provenance, and, even worse, scathing criticism of anyone who decides any story/collection is not "the MOBBESTTHINGEVER!!" because the fans have decided - with no prodding or support
Natalie
I never thought I'd get to feast on old-school Poppy Z. again. I don't begrudge a favored author her opportunity and right to grow and change in her writing, but Poppy's current "foodie lit" stage is not at all doing it for me. It's like a completely different writer adopted her name, watched an epic marathon of Food Network shows, threw together the thinnest of plots, and stuck in some gay characters for edge value. This, after I spent ten years reading and re-reading Wormwood and Lost Souls an ...more
Grainne Rhuad
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you haven't liked Poppy Z. Brite's other writiong you won't like this either. This is not for the squeamish nor is it for those who are bothered by darkness, because it gets very very dark. I will say however, my two favorite stories in here were less than dark- "Entertaining Mr. Orton." a perfectly un-loathsome ghost story; so long as your aren't a homophobe. (And if you are, you shouldn't be reading Mz. Brite anyway) And I loved the title story, which I understand pissed off a great many pe ...more
Suzanne Rooyen
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This collection featured a short about Ghost and Steve. I read it just for that and loved it even though it was way too short and I could happily read an entire novel dedicated to the awesome whimsy that is Ghost.
Christy Stewart
A great selection of stories that demonstrate the diversity in Brite's writing.
Nicola Mansfield
I had previously read a couple of Brite's short stories, one found in this collection, and was interested in reading her more. Obviously, the stories I had read of hers were very tame and not indicative of her style as I really didn't like this collection much. Poppy's writing style is very readable but her topics, no, I should say content is less than to be desired for my tastes. There is a lot of explicit sex which I don't enjoy but don't really have an issue with. What really I didn't appreci ...more
Mel Geronazzo
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read this for the story of Zach and Trevor, otherwise skip this one for Wormwood. Wormwood had much better stories.
Loathsome is...not quite as bad as that word, but it does leave a rather sour taste in the mouth. Being a HUGE Billy Martin fan, I expected the raw savagery of his images and the invoking feelings of disturbia and core-wrenching horror.
You don't get that with this collection, it's more the B-cut of a good author's work and doesn't reflect the true genius of Mr.Martin.

But definitely
Fenriz Angelo
So, this collection of short stories is really good. We have twelve stories that range from fairytale to horror and crime, mostly horror. I enjoyed all of them but the ones that stay with me are Saved (this one was TOO fucked up for my liking -consider i can dig almost everything dark-), Self-Made man was a small version of Exquisite Corspe which i enjoyed a lot (my fav story of the book) and Entertaining Mr. Orton (i wanted to know more about the past of the characters and their future). The ot ...more
Betsy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
If you like sadistic gay horror stories this book is for you. It wasn't for me and I quit about halfway through. I should have quit after the first story - that one wasn't too bad. I find it amazing that the same author wrote gentle murder mysteries about a gay couple who work in/own restaurants in New Orleans.
Sezín Koehler
This was not my favorite collection by this author, but I did really enjoy the explanations of why they were compelled to write each of the stories. It adds a lot.
Amanda
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Found myself trying to rush through this one. The conclusions of the stories were often predictable or anticlimactic.
Amber
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I just want to read something that tickles the back of my brain, that unsettling and off sort of thing. No wait, all the time. I meant all the time. Thanks Billy/Poppy.

But anyways, they're just short stories, a bit more fun than Wormwood's collection (but not as serious feeling, if that makes sense). I enjoyed "Arise" and "King of the Cats," as well as "Self-Made Man."

It was also great to see Trevor and Zach again, being well and "boring."

It's not the best thing I've ever read, but
Isidore
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Brite always writes with vigour and clarity, but in this collection she is rather weak on content. Two of the stories ("Arise" and "Entertaining Mr. Orton") have very similar plots, and so many centre on torrid sexual episodes that one tires of the repetition. Several of the tales are scrappy addenda to other works, with little significance for those who haven't read them. The most substantial story, the historical fantasy "Mussolini and the Axeman's Jazz", doesn't make much sense. Readers new t ...more
Jesse
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A short but eclectic series of stories from Brite. There's some horror in there, but there are also intriguing literary experiments with things such as fairy tales and more impressionistic stuff. There's a large emphasis on artistic temperaments in here, as well as the malaise of the violent, perverted, and dispossessed. For me, this lies somewhere in between "Wormwood" and "Antediluvian Tales," but it's still good, if a little short and light.
Bob
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I used to thing that Poppy Brite's oldet writing was her best, but I feel differently now. Her oldest writing is a little richer in language, but the maturity and insight (especially as an author writing of "place") is quite a bit deeper in her newest writing. Still, this collection is quite enjoyable.
Kathleen
Dec 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Sex, gore, drugs and violence in varied combinations compel me to insist that this collection of short stories is not appropriate for children. The lovely, lyrical language and vivid storytelling compel me to insist that modern American literature would be impoverished if the works by this author did not exist.
Flexanimous
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
There was a time in the 90s when I was slightly obsessed with Poppy Z Brite. I haven't revisited Lost Souls or Drawing Blood, and I'm almost afraid to do so, but at any rate, this didn't work for me. The stories felt thrown together and lacking in craft.
Aaron
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some great hits - Saved, Pin Money, Entertaining Mr. Orton, Vine of the Soul - and some big misses - King of the Cats! - but overall a very strong collection of occasionally brtual, occasionally erotic, well-balanced heart and horror.
Shane
Jul 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
Was reading this at night with Shelley but there's so much explicit gay sex in it that it was starting to get us "out of the mood". Might finish it in the future since there are only a couple stories left.
Lis Wheaton
Nov 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Oh Poppy, it must be rough being a gay necrophiliac stuck in a woman's body. Fun transgressive reading at first, but it can get old.
Andy
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Not my favorite of Brite's works, but an interesting collection.
kate
Jul 03, 2008 rated it liked it
not that great, but not bad either. worth reading if you're a poppy z. brite fan, i suppose.
Dana
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Some veer into splatterpunk territory, some are just damn scary -- but Poppy is not shy or retiring. She wants to mess up your dreams for a while, and this book delivers.
Fantasy Trantham-rodriguez
Jul 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Was most disappointed in this. I've loved all of the Brite books--including the mini-stories...nit this one, though!
Patrick
Jan 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2002
Poppy Z. Brite has a good reputation, I got this thinking I was in for some cool vampire stuff, but it turned out to be a bunch of guy-on-guy sex, which I am not interested in reading about.
  • Low Red Moon (Chance Matthews #2)
  • Splatterpunks II: Over the Edge
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
  • Classics Mutilated
  • The Nightmare Chronicles
  • The Necronomicon: Selected Stories and Essays Concerning the Blasphemous Tome of the Mad Arab
  • Incarnations: Three Plays by Clive Barker
  • Hottest Blood: The Ultimate in Erotic Horror  (Hot Blood, #3)
  • Wetbones
  • Animals
  • White and Other Tales of Ruin
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Ninth Annual Collection
Poppy Z. Brite (born Melissa Ann Brite, now going by Billy Martin) is an American author born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about his gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. He self-identifies almost completely as a homosexual male rather than female, and as of 2011 has started taking testosterone injections. His male name is Billy Martin.

He