Start by marking “Les Misérables, tome I/3” as Want to Read:
Les Misérables, tome I/3

Les Misérables, tome I/3

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  1,185 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
A rousing adventure story peopled with heartbreaking, unforgettable characters and a powerful allegory about the good and evil lying beneath the surfaces of human beauty, ugliness, and superior intellect.
Published September 7th 1997 by Editions Flammarion (first published 1862)

To ask other readers questions about Les Misérables, tome I/3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Misérables, tome I/3

Riham
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i wish there was more than 5 stars..all authors usually focus on events but i never saw any authour who went deeply inside human's heart and mind and analysed it that great..the book is full of wisdom that it can be taken as one of the spiritual books in life..
this is the greatest book i ever did and ever will read..
Hugo was a messenger of truth
Naif
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من أوائل الروايات التي قرأتها بغرض تعلم اللغة الإنجليزية تقريباً في أواخر عام 2000..قرأت النسخة العربية والإنجليزية من دار البحار التي وضعت في ثلاثة أجزاء...هذه الروايه العالميه هي افضل رواية قرأتها بلا منازع!!!

ابدع فيها الكاتب الفرنسي العظيم فيكتور هيغو و جعلني شغوف بكل عمل مسرحي او سينمائي مبني على احداث هذه الرواية الرائعة..
تأثرت بالشخصيات والحبكة الدرامية للقصة و استمتعت كثيراً بقراءة الرواية اكثر من مشاهدة الأفلام لأن اسلوب الكاتب البليغ في الوصف والتعبير الأدبي ساحر بكل ماتعنيه هذه الكلم
Steve Pennell
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of the all-time great stories. The story is inspired. Grace vs. Law. And Grace wins!

This is not, however, for the timid reader. Hugo writes entire chapters (over and over again) of historical and political and French social information that has almost nothing to do with the story itself but serves only to set a mood or set up a scene. If you aren't into historical trivia, read the abridged version.

Although movies always leave out important scenes -especially when the book is this long, the
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who love classics and/or French culture
Recommended to Laura by: English class
I realized today that I have this listed as a favorite book in my profile, but it wasn't on my read list. It is another that I read in high school. Some parts are pretty simplistic and conventional, but it all comes together so romantically. Did you know it's said that Victor Hugo always wrote standing up? If you've seen the unabridged version of this book, he must've gotten tired! Anyway, I just really like Jean Valjean, including saying his name.

Wow, J'ai choisi la version Française! Regardez
Tannie
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow... where to start with this review?

I want to say this - reading Les Miserables unabridged is A LOT harder than I though it would be. My advice is honestly this... if you want to read it, read the abridged unless you are up for a HUGE challenge. I can't say I know how much the abridged cuts out, but for me I think I would have enjoyed it more had I read it abridged.

What I didn't like about the book was the tangents (I know he had a reason for every single one). The 40 pages detailing convent
Ayat Al-Obaidi
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
لا يهم اذا قرأت هذا الكتاب بلغته الأصلية أو مترجم، مختصر أو بنسخته الكاملة
تبقى هذه الرواية من أجمل الروايات القديمة الجميلة بكل تفاصيلها وأحداثها وشخصياتها
قرأتها منذ فترة طويلة، وسوف أقرأها مرة أخرى يوماً ما
Jessie
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Victor Hugo is an amazing author. His descriptions go on for pages and I don't know how he can even think of the things that he does to make the places and characters come so alive. This is the second time I've read this unabridged version. I think that I enjoyed it more the first time through because I wasn't on a deadline. I liked collecting quotes, and thinking about why the book was famous. I know that the title is The miserable, but I don't think that is why the book has a following. I beli ...more
Aud
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: french
Reading Challenge 2015: Book you were supposed to read for school.
Two months later I finally finished the first part of Les Misérables. I loved it. It was such an amazing and satisfying reading. I read it in French and Hugo's writing is truly something. The descriptions are long, that I will admit, and it can have a boring effect. The first part especially was confusing because it didn't seem to have anything to do with the story. But everything Hugo wrote had a meaning in the end. I was always
Jacob Holt
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Jean Valjean is a convict after stealing bread to feed his family. Once arrested he attempts to break out of prison which increases his sentance to 19 years. After, being realesed he starts his reformation to be a good person. His encounters with Javert keeps himself on the move. The revolution in France is approaching and Jean Valjean is seeking to fix his crimes.
The book was better than I expected however I still dislike the hard language and the strange tangents. The story was great if you ca
Seni
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: siapapun anda, saya persilakan untuk menjelajahi dunia buku ini
sudah lama buku ini kubeli. dan baru beberapa bulan lalu sempat kubaca. dan baru saat ini sempat kutulis tentangnya. bagiku, novel ini sarat dengan pengorbanan sekaligus keberanian. pengorbanan dan terutama keberanian seorang Jean Valjean yang kerap dihadapkan pada pertimbangan-pertimbangan moral hati nuraninya sendiri. meski kegetiran yang menjadi konsekuensinya, meski kegentaran kadang menyambanginya. ia mampu konsisten di jalan nurani.

membacanya, serasa jiwa ini semakin kaya dengan arti hidup
  • The Big Jump
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo I
  • A Tale of the Ragged Mountains
  • Dantons Tod
  • Damage Control
  • Georgia on My Mind and Other Places
  • Finders Keepers (Dark Avenger, #1)
  • Solis
  • Hunted Down
  • Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure
  • Mateo Falcone
  • A Strange Disappearance
  • Coming Home (Sophie Anderson, #6)
  • The American Book of the Dead
  • The Messiah Choice
  • Men at War
  • Blood Crimes: Book One
  • Saint Joan of the Stockyards
Victor Hugo, in full Victor-Marie Hugo (b. February 26, 1802, Besançon, France – d. May 22, 1885, Paris, France), poet, playwrighter, novelist, dramatist, essayist, visual artist, statesman, human rights campaigner, and perhaps the most influential exponent of the Romantic movement in France, who was the most important of the French Romantic writers. Though regarded in France as one of that countr ...more
More about Victor Hugo...
“He who despairs is wrong.” 49 likes