Start by marking “The Complete Stories” as Want to Read:
The Complete Stories

The Complete Stories

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  724 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The Complete Stories by Hurston,Zora Neale. [1996] Paperback
Published February 14th 1996 by Harper PereniaI (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Stories

Carmen
I was surprised to find I really enjoyed these stories by Hurston. I haven't read anything by her since Their Eyes Were Watching God. These stories were very engaging. For a black activist and feminist, I found her stories very entertaining.

John Redding Goes to Sea was sad.

Drenched in Light was fun, and showed how humans are.

Spunk was kind of scary.

Magnolia Flower was very good, like a tall tale.

Muttsy was kind of pointless.

The Eatonville Anthology kind of gave an overview of different peo
Lily
Mar 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just started reading Zora Neale Hurston. I began with Their Eyes Were Watching God, and I really enjoyed it. I love Alice Walker's work, and was interested to hear that Walker contributed to the 'rediscovery' of Zora Neale Hurston's work.

One of the things I really like about Hurston's stories is her cultural approach to storytelling. She was trained as an anthropologist, was a student of Franz Boas (often referred to as the father of modern anthropology) and a contemporary of Ruth Benedict
Jamal
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
muttsy , conscience of the court, john redding goes to sea, sweat & Even Now you cooking with gas....Zora had this awesome ability of showing us who we were ...I love her depictions of The south & the venacular she wrote with...this is a must read & must have!
Jo
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved this!
Cora
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wonderful writer! I didn't finish all her short stories but will as the summer rolls on. Great afternoon reading.
Bill
Oct 22, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: partially-read
I spent a couple of months reading a couple of stories here, a couple there, in between a series of other books, and finally decided to return it to the library after having finish just about half the volume. I had been wanting to read The Bone of Contention ever since I heard the story about Hurston and Langston Hughes' ill-fated collaboration on a Broadway musical based on the story. Finally getting to read it was quite satisfying, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, all the stories I manage ...more
Rin
May 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wonderful gift for character development. Accents are really thick, but man, she tells a good story. I am hooked.
Fareeda
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I used to shy away from her writing when I was younger, mainly because I couldn't understand/follow the dialect in which she wrote. As I've gotten older, I now appreciate the authenticity of her stories, with the dialect adding to that authenticity.

Some of these short stories made me laugh out loud, others made me reflect, while others stirred a flurry of emotions... some did all three at the same time.
Ric Warner
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of stories bounded together to create a wonderful book. At first, I was speed reading the book, my usual way for fiction, but I had difficulty comprehending the colorful black language used. This language was so powerful that I decided to read slowly and digest every sentence. I realized it was closely related to patois, which formed the riot for my translation.

I enjoyed most of the stories, especially "Hurricane" and "The Gilded Six-Bits". Hurricane illustrated this bla
Nicholas Whyte
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-genre, poc, xz, 2013, b13, 1307
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2140983.html[return][return]This is, as I hoped, an awfully good collection. There are some journeyman pieces about love, lust and death in a small town; there are some awesome character sketches, a great story written in Harlem slang, and an unfinished novel telling the story of John the Baptist's execution from Herodias' point of view. I chose the quote above, from an account of a black person being wrongfully prosecuted for attacking a white man, for its eerie re ...more
JoAnn
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so grateful so many of Zora Neale Hurston's works survived. Several were burned or otherwise destroyed and Hurston died in obscurity. These are a wonderful example of her talent for capturing the Southern (Floridan) black poor people of the 1930's and 40's. Her using their dialect when speaking adds to the story and makes these people come alive. It is her masterful use of language that make me care about these people and look forward to the next story.

I'm purposefully choosing to read thi
Claire S
Perfect for my transit journeys this next week. Her 'Their Eyes' still resonates from when I re-read it last fall, am delighted to have more to read of her.

---

Have read 5 or 6 so far, I really like them. Have been reading anthologies of short stories and so on for the last several months, and hers are definitely among my favorite. They don't throw me around too much, they match up information provided with information required well, they have a full, rich flavor that is very accessible, there is
J
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
some of the stories appear multiple times but her wording is very poetic
(FROM JACKET)This landmark gathering of Zora Neale Hurston's short fiction—most of which appeared only in literary magazines during her lifetime—reveals the evolution of one of the most important African American writers. Spanning her career from 1921 to 1955, these stories attest to Hurston's tremendous range and establish themes that recur in her longer fiction. With rich language and imagery, the stories in this collectio
Shannon
Sep 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
I did my big reserach project in high school on Zora Neale Hurston's short stories. As stated, I am keenly interested in different cultural "adaptations" or unusual integrations of spirituality, superstition, folklore, and Christian religion. Hurston's stories are especially interesting as she studied Voodoo and Hoodoo practices in African-American culture in the deep South. Her stories show how black Christians in the south often had mythical, magical, and sometimes frighteningly "blended" syst ...more
Doublezerodomino
Enjoyed the language throughout the stories I completed. There were similar or recurring character tropes in the works, the most common being the young, intelligent, ambitious person held back tragically in life because of race or class. Hurston was writing the history that was not making it into textbooks; her writing is important in understanding the plight of impoverished blacks in the pre-civil rights era south.
My favorite story was with the brook and stream watching lovers, incredible use
Elise
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hurston is an absolute master of the short story. The writing is fun and rich, but serious at the same time. Hurston seems to thrive on bringing out the humanity of her characters in the face of precisely those things that attempt to squash that humanity. This collection is just simply wonderful. I could read it over and over.
Grady Ormsby
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Maybe I'm too easy on my grading. This book makes me wish there were six stars to award. Queen of the Harlem Renaissance. Her backgraound in anthropology lends a folk-loric flavor to her writing. Her characters are real and larger-than-life at the same time. Hurston was a master of dialect and a master of language usage. A joy to read!
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ehhh, it was OK. I don't like Hurston, but did find a couple stories that I enjoyed. I had to read this for my lit class so I wouldn't have read it otherwise. She deffantly uses her heritage in her stories and the dilect is very strong, so if you're not used to it it will be hard to read.
Barbara
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Picked this up again because I chosen the Harlem Renaissance for a visual arts topic.

It is lyrical and magic/mystic and at the same time grounded. The stories are completely visual. I'm really enjoying it.
Apr 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoy most of Hurston's work and her stories are no different. I like the contrast of work available with portions from her novels and elsewhere. The fact that she studied Anthropology always added a level of depth and intrigue to the characters and settings in her work.
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the chronological structure and the inclusion of some previously unpublished stories. They span the rural Deep South to Roaring 20s Harlem and the styles vary widely. I'd only read "Their Eyes Were Watching God" so it was interesting to see Hurston's evolution and ability as a writer.
Darci
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love love the way Zora Neale Hurston writes. She is amazing and her stories are simple but really touch the heart.
Kelly
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favs
Zora Neale Hurston is an amazing writer and folklore documentarian...is that a word? It should be!
Rich Greene
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent compilation with great notes from contributing scholars
Kyle Childers
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hurston's voice is lyrical and keeps you swept up in her characters lives.
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book of short stories is classic Z.N. Hurston and fun to read once you get into the rhythm of the phonetic dialogue among her characters.
Snickerdoodle
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a story teller!
Bianca
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories. If you teach high school, students really love how compartmentalized they are.
  • The Best Short Stories by Black Writers: 1899 - 1967
  • When Harlem Was in Vogue
  • Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology
  • Eudora Welty
  • The Long Dream
  • The Complete Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham: East and West (Vol. 1 of 2))
  • Toys in the Attic
  • Collected Children's Stories
  • Jacques Lacan: A Feminist Introduction
Zora Neale Hurston was an American folklorist and author. In 1925, shortly before entering Barnard College, Hurston became one of the leaders of the literary renaissance happening in Harlem, producing the short-lived literary magazine Fire!! along with Langston Hughes and Wallace Thurman. This literary movement became the center of the Harlem Renaissance.

Hurston applied her Barnard ethnographic tr
More about Zora Neale Hurston...