Start by marking “The Vision: The Dramatic True Story of One Man's Search for Enlightenment” as Want to Read:
The Vision: The Dramatic True Story of One Man's Search for Enlightenment

The Vision: The Dramatic True Story of One Man's Search for Enlightenment

Tom Brown, Jr., the bestselling author of The Tracker and the acclaimed Field Guide series, simply and eloquently shares the beauty and enlightenment of his own spiritual awakening.

An ancient mystical experience, the Vision Quest was undertaken by Native American Indians as an odyssey of self-knowledge and fulfillment--a spiritual journey into the wilderness and the soul.
Published March 1st 1988 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Vision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vision

Emily
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Really enjoyed reading (and pondering) this book. I had to take my time with it, to really mull over the stories and morals, and generally just absorb the message. Which is, without giving too much away, that we have to return to nature, or we're all fucked. (Pardon the language.)
Nancy
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, first of all, in order to enjoy this book I had to accept that spiritual vision is possible. I think it is, although I have never had one. But, the thing that I really was touched by in the book is that it reinforced a basic sense that some things are true no matter the source. In religion, for instance, the core notion is that we are all part of the same One Creation. What we do to Creation is therefore done to ourselves. If we wish to live a meaningful life, we need to treat everything w ...more
Wendy
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I believe Tom worked with a writer, nonetheless, his description of an inner state while laying in a bog with a straw in his mouth in order to catch a deer who will come to drink still blows my mind.
If it were historical fiction, if it were a tale of fear and loathing mysticism, if it were science fiction it would be laudable.
In re-creating this state my own neurons recall times, mostly during discovery, that the line between myself and other blurred into nothingness. The everythingness will le
Robin Westrick
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Powerful. Amazing. Perspective altering.
Kaitie Franklin
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Kaitie by: Steve G
Bock Moggler
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the spirituality and some of Brown's opinions on the current state of our society and cultural values. However, some of his opinions were a little too strong and came off as him being judgemental. The way he criticized society but then profited off the very things he spoke against rubbed me the wrong way. I will say though that some of his teachings left a positive impact on me and changed my perspective on life.
Matt
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book left me frighthened of what modern man has become and our possible future, but now that a few years have gone by, I have a sense of hope for us all.
Ginger
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I consider this book my bible. He relays his story of an Native American that taught him the native ways as a child. I love this!!!!
Molly
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Molly by: Kris Taylor
This book provided me with a major shift in perspective! It may not be true, but I would love to think that it is and live my life as though it is. Read it!
Steven Horne
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Amazing insights into the path of real spirituality.
Michelle Beese
Aug 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An inspriration to read.
Colin
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of those books that altered my course.

Kathleen R Zatorski
David
Mar 20, 2018

• Secrets of the Talking Jaguar
  • Desert Notes: Reflections in the Eye of a Raven
  • The Road to Unafraid: How the Army's Top Ranger Faced Fear and Found Courage through Black Hawk Down and Beyond
  • Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games and What Parents Can Do
  • Song of Survival: Women Interned
  • Earthway: A Native American Visionary's Path to Total Mind, Body, and Spirit Health
  • Star Woman: We are Made from Stars and to the Stars We Must Return
  • How to Thrive in the Next Economy: Designing Tomorrow's World Today
  • Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering the Labyrinth
  • Who Are We? (The Ringing Cedars of Russia, #5)
  • Kinship with All Life
  • The Old Way: A Story of the First People
  • Who Dies?
  • The Genius of Judaism
  • The Carry Home
  • Nature and the Human Soul: Cultivating Wholeness and Community in a Fragmented World
  • Soros on Soros: Staying Ahead of the Curve
  • Gazing Into the Eternal: Reflections Upon a Deeper Purpose to Living
Tom Brown, Jr. is an American naturalist, wilderness tracker and the author of numerous books, including a series of Field Guides. Brown attributes his tracking skills and his spiritual philosophy to the teachings of a Lipan Apache elder named Stalking Wolf, who instructed Brown during his childhood. Brown refers to Stalking Wolf as "Grandfather" in his writings.

-----------------------

Tom Brown (n
“Boredom is only for people who do not know themselves or the wonders of life.” 5 likes