Start by marking “The Winter King” as Want to Read:
The Winter King

The Winter King

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
When ice meets fire, the ice melts...

Yvonne Trent had it all. She was beautiful and talented, with famous parents and a glamourous life-style. But pretty soon Yvonne discovered that fame and fortune weren't enough...

It took all of Adam Ruarke's powers of persuasion to encourage Yvonne back to work. And Yvonne knew immediately that she would do anything to gain Adam's love
Paperback, Harlequin Presents Subscription #19, 188 pages
Published November 1995 by Harlequin (first published February 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Winter King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winter King

EeeJay
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hqn, harlequin
Okay maybe its more like 4.5 stars. Different than a normal HQN read. I've never bookmarked as many pages before and that's always a good thing, I guess. A lot of things to think about and the hero's a sweetheart.
NOTE: WHAT I IMAGINE THE HERO TO LOOK LIKE:

description

NOTE: WHAT I IMAGINE THE HEROINE TO LOOK LIKE:
description

Some choice quotes:
'.....It's funny, but your parents can give you everything in the world, but they can't teach you what to do with it. That, you have to learn for yourself.'
---
'I'm too offended to
StMargarets
Actress heroine. Director hero.

Actress is dramatic. Director is manipulative.

Water is wet.

Need more detail? The heroine is forced out of retirement by the hero. He won't give her father a supporting part, if she doesn't take the lead. The opening scene is the heroine slapping "The Winter King" during a Hollywood party.

Then in the privacy of her room with the intrigued hero, she screams and cries and carries on and is rude to the maid. (These two are rude to all of the little people, btw. Not
Saly
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Saly by: EeeJay
Rating 3.5

There is something compelling about AC's writing style even if her characters especially the heroine here has a tendency to be overly dramatic and turn everything into a tragic drama. Seriously, the book was over the top so much so that I wanted to send the heroine to some therapy still I enjoyed it. She from a famous family in Hollywood and herself very succesful when at 22 she found herself drowning, losing her identity, so she ran and has lived quietly for two years.

She then returns
Leona
Oct 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Too Hollywood for my taste and I never understood the heroine's logic or thinking. It was clear she had suffered a severe mental breakdown due to the stress of her career. I was just never convinced that she had fully recovered. Her actions and thought patterns (when I could understand them) were deeply disturbing. Something, I'm not looking for when reading category romances.

The ending helped, but it wasn't enough to make the story salvageable.

I walked away disturbed and wanting my 3 hours ba
Booked
Wow! I mean Wow! I've always known that AC/TH was simply brilliant. She has this range that is on a different stratosphere. It's not only about story of two people's lives colliding, but she takes romance to the core of self. She brings about the vulnerability of surrendering oneself to falling in love.
Bungluna
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: category
All I can say I : wow!

I like this author, but this time around I wanted to jump in and separate the hero an heroine and send them both to therapy. All the manipulation and heaving drama! I think the needed an intervention more than a HEA.
Kay
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: print
4 1/2 Stars! ~ This is the first book I've read written by Amanda Carpenter and it will not be my last. Yvonne is a very talented actress who is manipulated from seclusion to star in a new movie by the charismatic director Adam Ruarke. Sparks fly when these two are together. Yvonne focusing her rage at Adam, and Adam pushing Yvonne to break free from her demons. Theirs is a volatile relationship that will keep you riveted to seat eagerly turning the pages. I'm very much looking forward to readin ...more
Charlie
OK I liked this despite having a slightly strange writing style. Our H and h are both such OTT lovies and drama queens that I couldn't help liking it. WE have our ice king, cool as a cucumber H who chill level is epic and our highly strung, needs a psychiatrist because she was on the verge of a breakdown, Hollywood family, drama queen h who's shenanigans I couldn't help laugh at.
She did NOT want to make a film with our hotshot Hollywood director but is blackmailed into it anyway.
I found the lan
Patti Ashley
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sensational

I did not realize until afterwards that this was a retro romance.You know the ones we used to tease our mothers about reading. The writing in this book is phenomenal.
An actress at the peak of her career disappears for two years to keep her sanity. A director blackmailed her into returning for his movie. She finds a man who appreciates the woman more than her skill and he discovers a woman who melts his icy heart and makes him feel. You laugh out loud as they argue and learn. Bravo!
Make Kay
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Adam is very calm and cool overall, but Yvonne pushes his buttons and breaks his vaunted control again and again. The sparks they create are quite breathtaking. The sex scenes are mostly implied, characteristic for a category romance of its time. Fans of Thea Harrison who want to peek at her earlier works and those who enjoy old school category romance books will enjoy THE WINTER KING.

See my complete review at Fresh Fiction:
Sudha Kuruganti
A retro read that I love for its lovely turns of phrase and the ultra Bollywood-ish feel. This book is what a collaboration between Madhur Bhandarkar and Sanjay Leela Bhansali would feel like! And my drama-loving, happy ending addict self loves it.
Mskychick
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ff
This feels earlier than a 1994 book to me. The prose is completely overblown.
Sara
Mar 10, 2016
Carola
Jan 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

Amanda Carpenter (aka Thea Harrison) resides in northern California. She wrote her first book, a romance, when she was nineteen and had sixteen romances published under the name Amanda Carpenter.

She took a break from writing to collect a couple of graduate degrees and a grown child. Her graduate degrees are in P
More about Amanda Carpenter
“.....It's funny, but your parents can give you everything in the world, but they can't teach you what to do with it. That, you have to learn for yourself.” 7 likes
“The individual act of will is the strongest, most transcendent part of us. To look upon something with our deepest overriding passions, whether it be rage, grief, hope or love, and yet recognise a greater need or goal, and to say, "I will do this" or "I will not do that", no matter what the personal cost, is a triumph of the spirit. The exercise of the will is the art of humans in the state of being.'
--”