Start by marking “Noah's Garden: Restoring the Ecology of Our Own Backyards” as Want to Read:
Noah's Garden: Restoring the Ecology of Our Own Backyards

Noah's Garden: Restoring the Ecology of Our Own Backyards

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  286 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Topic - Gardening. The author's"wonderful book tells of her conversion from a high-style conventional gardner into an excellent field ecologist and a visionary with plans for ending the harreness of America's sub-subdivisions."
Published April 24th 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published April 21st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Noah's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Noah's Garden

Stephen Kiernan
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book changed how I landscape around my home. Less work, more pleasure, more birds, more variety.
Adam
Less a how-to and more a belle-lettres ode to native habitat gardening. Stein does an excellent job sharing her experiences developing her backyard into a near-mimic of the wild forests of New England, with particular joy to be found in her intellectual explorations, branching from every bird species to ten plants, from every plant to ten insects, from each insect to 10 more insects, and ending up with both a diodiverse back yard and an intimate knowledge of the food webs and seasonal rounds tha ...more
Maggie
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about planting native plants and designing landscapes so as to attract and sustain wildlife.

-------------

UPDATED May 2014

I find that I need to re-read this book every so often. It speaks to me in a way that I can't quite articulate. I love puttering in my garden - and though I certainly don't hew to an all native plant palette, I do try to plant natives, and plant fruiting shrubs that the birds will like (and the deer won't). Here's a quote:

"I want us as a culture to depart from t
Ann
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A first hand restoration of a rural yard. A process of discovery without any easy answers. One of the first proponents of wildlife corridors.
Jamie
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: garden, nature
Sara Stein documents her journey from being a conventional American gardener to a naturalist, ecologist and native-habitat restorer. Along the way there are wonders to behold and lessons to learn.

First a sample of one of the wonders: have you ever considered the life cycle of the aphid? Aphids are polymorphous, viviparous and parthenogenetic. Let's break that down.
Polymorphous: different generations have different body shapes.
Viviparous: they give birth to live young.
Parthenogenetic: they reprod
J. Aleksandr Wootton
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The day is not far off when we, as a society, will admit that the suburbs are bad for us.

Its symptoms are many and varied, but the root problem can be simply stated: suburbia encourages connections neither with our neighbors, nor with the land. Ecology is sterilized by permanent real-estate-listing-style landscapes; community is sterilized by automatic garage-door openers; time, energy, daylight and resources are wasted on long commutes; genuine interaction is discarded in favor of inarticulate
Noah
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I came across this title when searching for books that would help me in planting a garden and landscaping my yard using native plants. I was probably suckered by the title which plays to my occasional bouts of megalomania. But in all seriousness, this was a very fulfilling read.

Sara Stein's narrative approach to what could be a dull topic is very engaging and convicting. Although her home and acreage are in New England, it definitely gave me some ideas for here in Michigan...and potentially even
Jen
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it
I thought I was really going to like this book about "restoring the ecology of our own backyards," especially considering that, having just bought a new house, we are starting a backyard from scratch. However, I found it repetitive and unorganized, and I ended up mostly skimming the last two chapters. I realize that this was intended as a story of how Stein and her husband manage their lot rather than a how-to book, but I found the structure of the book confusing. I wish she had defined at the o ...more
Brandon
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was tentative buying this book, thinking it might be some religiously angled book, even though I didn't notice any such thing when leafing through it in the bookstore. That used book shop seems to be a bit heavy on the Christian literature so I wasn't sure... but I bought it anyways. Glad I did. There's a lot worthwhile in this book. At the very least it's an interesting read about one woman's attempt to create a natural, native garden from her former, more conventional one. But there are long ...more
Ashlynn
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lifestyle
Inspiring and informative! Tallamy introduced me to the importance of native plants and ecosystem gardening, and Stein's book provided even better context and answers to many of my "I wonders." My worry that this book would somehow be a rehash of the others I've read was proven completely unfounded. It may be an older, longer, less flashy book (alas, there are only a scattering of illustrations--and no native garden photographs!), but it's probably the best I've read so far.

It's thanks to peopl
LisaKaren
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: garden-time
Picked up for fifty cents at a Friends of the Library book sale...So far I love it.
So to update, like so many would be great books, this one started and ended well but got a bit too long winded in the middle. Lots of good theories about creating habitat within the confines of our existing communities were muddled up when she began to outline the transformation of here own extensive New England property. Perhaps I just lost my way among all the unfamiliar flora, since I am a west coaster on a ti
Rainbowgardener
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a wonderful book on the importance of urban/suburban backyards in sustaining our eco-system. Given continuing population growth, we can't really avoid further habitat loss, but even in cities, we can provide some habitat to sustain native plants, insects, animals, and a healthy diverse ecosystem. She has a wonderful vision of suburbia where the wooded edges of my backyard flow (unfenced) into the wooded edges of my neighbors backyard, creating corridors. Very good on the science of why i ...more
Troy
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: environment
I was thoroughly impressed with everything Stein had to say in this book. Noah's Garden is essentially a testimonial of someone who went from being a typical ornamental gardener to a stewardess of ecological health. What Stein did to her yard is an inspiration that is only now beginning to catch on. The fact that this book was written in the 90's makes this even more impressive.

I aspire to have a yard like Stein's, and feel that it is not only environmentally responsible, but much more practica
Sandy D.
This was written in 1993, so it is actually a bit dated in terms of the trend towards using native plants in your garden & yard. It is also a bit depressing - despite the fact that it's cool to have jack-in-the pulpit or marsh marigold in your yard (and there are now plenty of places to buy native plants), the basic trend towards huge subdivisions with acres of sterile lawn, white gravel, and a few isolated trees and run of the mill shrubs like gas-station yews seems to have prevailed.

Stein
Sandy Clark
Although I don't agree with her premise of evolution, her points are very well taken. This book helped me to relax about how my garden grows. I love the idea of embracing the native variety of plants and creatures and not trying to force nature to fit my idea of a beautiful yard or garden. Her sense of humor in describing our efforts to meet the fashionable gardening standards was refreshing and disarming. It is not only an important discussion of ecology in "our own back yards," but a lovely an ...more
Jessica
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book describes one gardener/biologist's efforts to re-invent the suburban yard to enhance the local ecosystem. It's full of practical insight, detailing many of the techniques she tried and their results. It's also a great book to inspire a sense of wonder in the natural world, as she brings the reader along to meet all the living creatures whose homes are our natural ecosystems, and considers what they need to live and how the typical yard does or does not provide for those needs.
Ron Cammel
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great book ahead of its time. A single description of an 1880s wildflower field without invasive plants oddly brought me to tears. It struck like a vision and remains with me.

Though this book is about the difference native plants can make in an ecology, I never hear about it from my many friends in the native plant movement. It should rank high in the reading list, however, because it inspires and is very well written.
Elizabeth
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: domesticity
When I worked for GSLIS, one of the fun things I did in the summers was record book talks from LEEP students in the Adult Popular Literature class - easily one of the most popular, and certainly one of the most fun classes we offered. I picked this one up on the basis of one of the book talks and thoroughly enjoyed it - I was a nascent greenie at that point, so perhaps this book was one of the first to sow the seed of "back to the land" in my little head.
Lee Alexander
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book taught me so much about native plantings and how to bring back local wildlife and keep it around (like the bluebirds). We were so inspired by this book that we drove to Pound Ridge, NY to tour Sara Stein's own yard during Open House Days. Our 12-year old River Birches were planted specifically because Sara Stein wrote about them, and they are the most beautiful trees in our yard.
Jo
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature
I heard Sara Stein speak at a native plant conference. What an epiphany! I had been working on responsible stewardship of land for years, but here was a whole new wise perspective. Highly recommended for anyone who is interested in taking care of their land in an eco-responsible way. Her nature drawings are lovely, too.
Andrea
Apr 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Man I really wanted to like this book. It is written by someone who lives in Westchester county, where I live, so I thought I could get a lot out of it. Sooooooo boring! Like a textbook. And I only read about half of it, very painfully. I so hate not finishing books. I really wanted to commit to reading this but life's too short. ;) Liked the basic premise, but got lost in the mumbo jumbo.
William
Sep 10, 2009 rated it liked it
I bought this book off the sale table at the Chicago Botanic Garden.

It is a sequel to a previous book that I did not read.

Interesting anecdotes about trying to create gardens that in some ways resemble natural settings.
Robert
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From a "pretty" garden to a garden welcoming to living creatures.

I wrote a quote in the front of the book. I think it is Stein's words: VALUE THE LAND BY THE LIFE IT HARBORS

I have to find the time to read this again.
Catherine Weaver
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Advocates planting native plants in home gardens for solutions to complex animal and insect relationships. Three stars only because newer books (like Bringing Nature Home) may be a better time investment for those interested in wildlife gardening. A good read.
Pilar
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good background information so we can be mindful of the consequences of what we choose to do with your yards, which impacts our community and planet.
Jessica
Jun 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-eco
excellent gardening/horticulture book: native plants are extremely important! i wish the writing were a little better...but in this case, the content is worth it.
Wayne
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent insights as to how the individual can do his/her part toward restoring the local environment. Well written.
Jeremy
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is about how to incorporate nature and native plants into your own landscaping. It is not a how-to book, but more a story of how one person did it. One of my favs!
Betty
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature
This is an easy read and serves the purpose of educating people. It clearly explains the advantages of native plants and the disadvantages of lawns.
Dora
Nov 09, 2007 marked it as to-read
Shelves: garden
twickster recommended this in the SDMB November book thread....
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Bringing Nature Home: How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife in Our Gardens
  • Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden
  • Attracting Native Pollinators; Protecting North America's Bees and Butterflies
  • Dirt: The Ecstatic Skin of the Earth
  • Making More Plants: The Science, Art, and Joy of Propagation
  • Life in the Soil: A Guide for Naturalists and Gardeners
  • Edible Landscaping
  • Out of Eden: An Odyssey of Ecological Invasion
  • Paradise Lot: Two Plant Geeks, One-Tenth of an Acre, and the Making of an Edible Garden Oasis in the City
  • The Well-Tended Perennial Garden: Planting  Pruning Techniques
  • The Living Landscape: Designing for Beauty and Biodeversity in the Home Garden
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Weeds: How Vagabond Plants Gatecrashed Civilisation and Changed the Way We Think About Nature
  • Beautiful No-Mow Yards: 50 Amazing Lawn Alternatives
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
Sara Bonnett Stein wrote books for children, some on sensitive subjects, such as divorce and death. She was also involved in toy design and native plant gardening, and wrote on ecology.
More about Sara Bonnett Stein...