Start by marking “The Field Guide and The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
The Field Guide and The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-2)

The Field Guide and The Seeing Stone

(The Spiderwick Chronicles #1-2)

Three ordinary kids, Jared, Simon, Mallory Grace discover a whole new world, That someone does not want them to know about
Audio Cassette, 256 pages
Published May 13th 2003 by Listening Library (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Field Guide and The Seeing Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Field Guide and The Seeing Stone

Miss Bookiverse
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy fantasy but dislike fat books
Very short but very cool. The reader does a fantastic job, he made the troll in book 2 sound so scary! All the creatures are so creative and very well (and mostly scary) described. I like how the authors tried to avoid clichés in both, content and language.
Jessica Gillies
Do you ever read a book, and wish you could travel back in time and give it to your primary school-aged self?That's how I feel about this book. I feel a re-watch of the film is in order.
Anne-Marie
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what to expect from this book, but I loved it! I will definitely be trying to get my hands on some other books.
Maytui
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this at my granddaughter Sarah’s suggestion. Great fun. Reminded me of the kind of books I loved during the summer when I was her age.
Dany
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Terror’s House

In the book Spiderwick The Field Guide, there is one very particular character who
creates problems. The main character Jared Grace needs to make very important
decisions. He has gone through bad things with his family since their parents have
divorced. Including changing to a horrible house that has been abandoned. Jared
began to adapt, until he makes his biggest mistake. In that house there are a lot of
mysteries that Jared will need to solve. Even though it might be dangerou
Krystal Vaughn
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
On our way home from vacation we listened as a family to The Spiderwick Chronicles narrated by Luke Skywalker 😜
Seriously though Mark Hamill did a great job. His voices for the various creatures and things were very well done. It kept my 9 year old daughter enthralled and interested throughout.

Now to find the time to finish the rest of the series!
melydia
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Family moves into new house which turns out to have a mysterious and magical history. It's cute but it didn't grab me as much as I think it would have thirty years ago.

A note on the audio: Mark Hammill is fun. He doesn't do any special voices for the children or their mother, but all the brownies and whatnot are delightful.
Ashlee Kirschner
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to see if I wanted my son to read it ... and I loved it.

The artwork is gorgeous, the storyline genius.

I LOVE how it begins with a note from the author about the following story you will read.

Quite reminiscent of "Series of Unfortunate Events"
Mandy
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, 2018, audiobook
Book 1: I’m really glad I’m listening to an audio book, which has the first two books in one. I would have been extremely disappointed to have read the first book and wait to get my hands on the second. The first book was truly just an introduction of the characters and the magical world.

Michael
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I'm not going to lie. I chose this audio book simply because it was about 2 hours and I knew I could knock it out quickly. The story is fun and whimsical though. Looks like I'll be listening to the rest of the series.
Angie
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
So far, this is a very cute series. I think my friends' tween children would enjoy reading it, and younger one would enjoy having it read to them. It's a cute story no matter what age.
Lindsay
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this with my 10 year old son. We both enjoyed it, but it wasn’t anything we got overly chatty about afterward. The magical creatures are pretty cool.
Kayla
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adam-s-books
cute book!! Adam and I are listening to the audiobooks read by Mark Hamill. I adore his narration!!!
Emily
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish this stuff could be true lol. I have the movie. I should watch it. I don’t know where the story is going but it’s interesting enough.
Stefana Ursache
Jul 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
If only I was 10 years old again🤷♀
Some middle grade books are just great no matter what age you read them, this one is such a NO for me
Eric Chappell
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reading
Read with Enoch. He loved it.
Nicholas Karpuk
The length of this audiobook actually confused my wife, since it listed the entire thing as a little over 2 hours. I got confused when I realized it covered 2 books rather than just one.

The presentation has a surreal quality mostly due to the reading, done by Mark Hamill. He assumes all kinds of wacky voices, several of which naturally channel a bit of whiny Skywalker or the Joker. It's a bit hammy at times, but generally fun and probably great for a reader of the actual intended age for these
Joanie Rich
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids who love nature and fantasy
I was shocked at how short these were - I guess that's natural considering titles like Harry Potter just kept getting thicker and more dense. These read like a fresh breeze. Excellent selection to read in class or as a bedtime series. I really like the flow of the story and the dialogue is fresh and natural.

You can tell the author is an artist by how well he paints a picture of everything in the story. It's so detailed, but not so overwhelming that you're screaming at him to "get on with it" -
nick
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
a decade ago someone gifted me a spiderwick calendar, iv been looking for the book ever since. not that the calendar provided much detail about this middle grade story but the illustrations seemed creepy cute. this library website audiobook addition consists of book 1 & 2, luckily, because the first one ends right when the fae show themselves. im usually not into fae or grumpy parents. at times it was hard to guess which brother was talking. there was no explaination why the sisters red swea ...more
Blue
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The narrator for the introduction and letters is . . . flat. Thankfully that was not the main narrator. The writing was fair at best, probably poor although I tend to be fond of writing that uses esoteric vocabulary and odd sentence structures. I found the story cute, but lacking anything to make it stand out from plenty of other series, such as FableHaven, it felt lacking and merely 'okay'. I noticed an odd thing with time in this series - what feels like a few hours turns out to be an entire n ...more
Jane
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy and adventure lovers 2nd grade and up
Finally listened to these 2 books after having them recommended to me 2 or 3 years ago. Three main characters Jared, Mallory and Simon have usual sibling squabbles but work together when faced with goblins, fairies, trolls and other fantastic characters. Each child has own personality and different strengths that they use to help each other get out of dire predicaments that they fall into in the hidden world at their Great Aunt's old house. Books have illustrations and type font that add to the ...more
Adriana
I have been wanting to read this book since the third grade. Finally I was able to listen to not one but two of the Spiderwick Chronicles. The Field Guide really just introduced the characters and the new world of hidden creatures. The Seeing Stone was a real adventure that had one of the siblings, Simon, needing rescuing. I liked all the siblings personalities. I love that Mallory, although a bit bratty being the oldest, but is still pretty amazing being able to fight off foes with her sword. I ...more
Pamela
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderful, magical, full of imagination. The only problem? They are too short. I'm hoping the next few are a bit longer. But, as these are written for much younger audiences I guess it's understandable. I need to get my hands on a set because the version I read was a special reviewer copy and there was no artwork in book 2 (reportedly it was stolen by faeries). I guess I'll just have to reread the finished books. Oh darn.
Siobhan
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most interesting series I read as a child. It also sits very high up on my list of books I’d hoped to see as films only to be disappointed (as so often seems to be the case).

It’s such an interesting story and you really do need to sit it out until the very end to find out how things play out. Each book contains its own story whilst adding to the continuous story throughout.

As a whole, one of my favourite childhood reads.
Aimee
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun! It is a much slower pace than the movie. But, that's because the movie was a combination of all 5 books. Lots more detail and some differences, but I like it and so do my kiddos so far. On to books 3 & 4. My only complaint so far is of the reader. I thought Mark Hamill was only whiny as Luke Skywalker. He has too many whiny moments as the reader of this recording (when it doesn't really fit for the character at the time). Maybe it will improve in the next series.
Silvana
Oct 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a wonderful series of books for a child between the age of 8 and 12 (big kids will enjoy it, too!). It revolves around three siblings finding a world of goblins and fairies in a parallel universe. It is easy to understand and not frightening like Harry Potter can be. Quick reads, too. Me and my girls are currently finishing Book 1 and we will be onto 2-5 soon.
Brian
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it
While surprisingly short, both of the stories were very interesting and a fun ride. Mark Hamilton doors a five star job on the voices. However I couldn't rate it highly because of the authors annoyingly fall into the same modern rut of creating obnoxiously disrespectful and crabby grade school kids.
Jillian
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, library
A charming story populated by lively characters, with the added bonus of Mark Hamill's perfect narration. I'm surprised that the two books are usually sold separately though, since they (only just) make a solid story arc when put together. If I'd read just the first one, I would have felt robbed, even as a child.
Phair
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
A cute series for younger kids that was fun to listen to as an adult. Nicely creepy, slightly bloodthirsty and pretty cool! The reader of the audio book sounds youngish but not really kiddish enough. Will definitely look for more of this series.
Sally
Dec 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
These books are cute. If you get them try to get all 5 together because each book is only about 100 pages long and it takes about 1/2 hour to read. Fun though.

• The Spiderwick Chronicles Movie : The Movie Storybook
  • The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio
  • Dog Diaries: Secret Writings of the WOOF Society
  • The Whale (The Lighthouse Family, #2)
  • Det tapte hjertet (Phenomena, #3)
  • Los mejores cuentos de Michael Ende
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • Ghosthunters and the Incredibly Revolting Ghost (Ghosthunters, #1)
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • Modern Faerie Tales
  • Deltora Quest: Special Edition, Books 5-8
  • The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg #4-6)
  • The Claidi Collection
  • Demon Diary, Volume 06
  • The Traitors' Gate
  • The Complete Adventures of the Borrowers
  • My Shadow
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi has been creating children’s books for nearly two decades. From fanciful picture books like The Spider & The Fly (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like Kenny and The Dragon and the WondLa trilogy, DiTerlizzi imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he created the middle-grade series, The Spiderwick ...more

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Field Guide