Start by marking “Flambards (Flambards, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flambards (Flambards, #1)

Flambards

(Flambards #1)

Published January 1st 2004 by Oxford University Press (first published September 28th 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Flambards, please sign up.
CLM He is an eccentric neighbor of the Russells who is passionate about aviation and recognizes Will's mechanical brilliance

Bettie

Description: A totally absorbing novel about twelve-year-old Christina who is sent to live with her fierce uncle and his two sons in their decaying mansion, Flambards. Christina discovers a passion for horses and riding but finds herself part of a strange household, divided by emotional undercurrents and cruelty.

Not the best of quality, yet it is a lovely story

Rajesh Bookrider
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Stars
Flambards is a YA novel by K. M. Peyton, first published in 1967. Alternatively, "Flambards" is the trilogy (1967–1969) or series (1967–1981) named after its first book. The series is set in England just before, during, and after World War I.

A twelve  years old  Cristina Parsons has been shunted around the family since she was orphaned at the age of five. Now she is sent to live with her uncle Russell and his two sons in their decaying mansion, Flambards.

Her uncle is a fierce
Kathy
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another of my re-reads. Once again, I still like it very much, but I had not remembered that the chapters were sometimes years apart.

This is historical fiction that takes place just before the beginning of World War I, in idyllic, semi-rural Great Britain, where the gulfs between the classes are large and no one seems to see anything wrong with the system. Christina, who is twelve when we first meet her, is an heiress, who will have no money of her own until she is twenty-one. She has been sent
Roz Morris
CLM
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CLM by: Ward School Library
Orphaned Christina is forced to go live with her Uncle Russell, and his sons, Mark and Will, at their home, Flambards, in the early 1900s. Mark and his father are obsessed with horses while Will is obsessed with machinery and aviation. To her surprise, Christina becomes deeply attached to Flambards, although her relationship with these three strong willed men is unpredictable and stressful.
J.A. Ironside
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
For starters this is not a horsey book - so if that's what you're looking for, based on Peyton's other works, you might be in for some disappointment. Personally I also didn't find it to be the great and multi layered classic it's lauded as. It might be that this is a book it's better to have come to as a child or if you haven't already found the themes it encompasses done better and with more sympathetic characters elsewhere. So if you've read Eva Ibbotson's adult books (or you watch Downton Ab ...more
Stuart Taylor
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-reads
Christina Russell's arrival at Flambards is overshadowed by her cousin William being stretchered to his room with a badly broken leg after riding accident. Moving from the genteel security of her aunt's home in London, to a faded country mansion, she finds herself in a household dominated by her drunken and embittered uncle - himself crippled in a riding accident - and a family obsessed with hunting and riding.

In order to survive at Flambards, Christina is forced to take up riding and forms a s
Mathew
Set within the grounds of a slowly-aging Essex Manor (Flambards), Peyton's novels sets the grounds for the end of an era and celebration of a class and the age of a new dawn which heralds cars and planes but also war. When twelve-year old Christina Parsons is sent to live with her uncle and two sons she feel that her destiny has already been written. When she comes of age, she will run into her family's fortune and will be expected to marry Mark, the eldest of the Flambard family who is as cold, ...more
Kate
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found the story so charming. It reminded me very strongly of Anne of Green Gables, and I’m sure it would have been one of my favorites if I’d read it when I was reading Anne. I love the passages about the hunt, horse-riding, and the passages about flying. These beautiful scenes romanticize both sports. Though, of course, with riding the romanticism is curtailed by the inclusion of Will’s and Mr. Russell’s accidents. In the first book, flying is definitely the safer sport. It won’t stay that wa ...more
Katherine
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book when I was about 12, the age of the heroine Christina and loved it. My feelings for the story further intensified when Yorkshire Television thoughtfully produced an adaptation in 1979. I'm not sure what made me order a copy on my kindle 30+ years later but after I devoured it in one sitting, I realised I still love this story and can't recommend it highly enough!

This book has everything from horses, to orphans to love interest a-plenty. I was going to say it's the perfect
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really loved it. Can't explain why. The plot was nothing exciting, I guess, but I loved the way it was written. The descriptions were so evocative and the characters were fascinating and complex. And it was set in a time period that I find interesting, too. I just wanted it to keep going forever, so I was thrilled to learn there are sequels!

My only complaint was that Christina's realisiation at the end that she loved William seemed really sudden and almost tacked-on. Didn't feel any build-up or
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series - and it was remarkably racy for kids' reading. The heroine, Christina is drawn to two men, but chooses her cousin, Will - the one who deliberately falls and smashes his leg so that he won't have to do any more riding in the great Flambard's tradition. Then he is killed in the first world war and Christina returns to a Flambards where the older brother has let things go - drinking as well, but the groom is still there - Dick - the one who taught her to ride - the one she has ...more
Kev Chaloner
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Old book and old story without any shock and horror but easy and enoyable to read
Sonia Gensler
Saw this mentioned on Twitter and it looked just my sort of thing. Turned out my instincts were right! A young heiress is sent to live with her uncle and cousins at their crumbling country estate. To me it read like WUTHERING HEIGHTS if rewritten by D.E. Stevenson. Definitely continuing with the series.
Kate
Twelve-year-old Christina, an orphaned heiress waiting for her 21st birthday, is shipped off to Flambards to live with her uncle and his two sons, Mark and William, presumably because Flambards is failing and and the uncle wishes to marry Christina off to Mark for her inheritance. Christina isn't sure how she feels about this, especially when she arrives and is treated like a servant, and she sees how cruel her uncle is about anything but horses. Mark is just like him, too, and odd William is be ...more
Olivia
I really expected this to be rather boring, but it was not. I enjoyed it immensly. The first few pages took me a little bit to get into the writing style, but once I did I was hooked.

description

Christina moves to Flambards to live with her uncle, Russell, and cousins, Mark and William. Little does she expect the kind of people she will meet there. Uncle Russell, impassioned with his love for hunting, wants both his sons to love it just as equally. Mark takes after Russell, but William has dreams of his ow
Grace Harwood
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this first book in the Flambards trilogy very much. Firstly, it's a book about horses (always a winner with me); secondly, it's a book about my next great passion - country houses. It's also a book about changing times and England just prior to the first world war, class systems and what would really be the last years in the great country estates of England.

Already in the book, Flambards is "dying", subsiding into decay due to the owner's inability/disinterest in maintaining it
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
One thing I am aiming for in 2016 is to read all (or get close) to reading all the books that I own but have not gotten around to reading yet. And I have many! Being a teacher, I buy lots of children's book, and also a travelling Book Fair comes to my school 3 times a year. I want to support my school (as we get some of the profit) so I buy books. But this means that I have quite a lot of children's books lying unread.

So this is how I got this lovely edition of Flambards, an Oxford Children's Cl
Melody
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melody by: Constance
Yellowoasis
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
One from my collection. The opening pages took me right back to 1977. Delicious.
Later...How I love this story. Re-reading it again for the umpteenth time took me straight back to my teenage years. I actually felt a shiver down my spine as I started reading it, the descriptions of the Essex countryside mingling with my own recollection of that area, and then the theme tune from the tv series popped into my head and I was transported back to the 1970s!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-1001
Horse Fever? Downton Abbey fan? Yes, this might be the book for you. Flambards is a book that is filled with horses and saddles and riding and hunting and other Horse Words that escape me at the moment. Trust me on this. Drink this book in and you’ll get your horse love quota for the year.
Donna
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
England at the turn of the century, horses and hunting, young orphan girl sent to live with cousins and uncle she never knew in a crumbling manor house...good story, engaging characters...wish I had discovered this series when I was 12. Enjoyed it!
Yvonne
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very sweet little book about a young girl. Who has to live in a house of men. And how Christine coped with her life
Beatriz
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
The books are even better than the series, and I loved the series!
Bumble
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brilliant and inspiring, a great addition to any relaxing holiday or a pajama day!
Eryn
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
Really sweet story, wish that Christina stayed with the horses though.
Elle Jones
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoying this so far!
Joanna
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: challenge-books
So, this book was okay. I liked the concept of the story, but the overall writing style and the development of the story was poor. The story covered quite a large timeline, but I didn't recognise any signs of the main character, Christina, growing up. She seemed to swap between crushing on Dick, William and Mark very quickly, which was very confusing. It may have been because of the are the story takes place in, but Christina's casual acceptance of her probably marrying Mark was rather disturbin ...more
Jayne Catherine pinkett
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-purchase
Btw I have lovely Edwardian romantic covers. I wouldn't have chosen it with the cover shown here!
This is a new author for me. Set in a country
manor where horse racing and hunting are the most important activities. Christina orphaned at a young age is passed around various relatives and finally goes to Flambards age 12 and is thrown into this mayhem and at times difficult family.
It was well written, I enjoyed the cast of characters even if I didn't like them all and the overall plot was enjoyab
LINDA MCALISTER
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This first book of the trilogy is probably aimed at young adults, but I was interested in it because of seeing, and loving, the BBC production years ago. I really enjoy reading about the period -- a basically Victorian society teetering on the edge of the first world war and the ensuing social, cultural, and technological changes.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • In the High Valley
  • A Stranger at Green Knowe
  • The Wool-Pack
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • The Otterbury Incident
  • The School at the Chalet
  • The Scarecrows
  • A Garland for Girls
  • Jan, mein Freund
  • The Family from One End Street
  • Practically Seventeen
  • Saddlebags (Saddle Club, #42)
  • For Love of a Horse (Jinny, #1)
  • Sarah's Story
  • Dougy (The Gracey Trilogy #1)
  • The FitzOsbornes at War

Flambards (4 books)
  • The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2)
  • Flambards in Summer (Flambards, #3)
  • Flambards Divided (Flambards, #4)