Start by marking “Moral Courage” as Want to Read:
Moral Courage

Moral Courage

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Why did a group of teenagers watch a friend die instead of putting their own reputations at risk? Why did a top White House official decide to come clean and accept a prison sentence during Watergate? Why did a finance executive turn down millions out of respect for her employer? Why are some willing to risk their futures to uphold principles? What gives us the strength to ...more
Published March 14th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Moral Courage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moral Courage

Heather
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
This was a good book, although a little hard to get into because it kind of feels like a textbook. The points it makes and stories that illustrate them are very important. Moral courage is more than physical courage. It involves holding to principles in the face of danger and enduring through hardships to do what's right. Sometimes difficult choices are between right and right. The main ethical dilemmas are often between:
* truth versus loyalty
* individual versus community
* short term versus long
David Gross
Jul 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ethics, non-fiction
When something important is at stake but temptation offers an easy out, some people take a tough stand and do the right thing. What sets these people apart from the crowd? Moral courage — “the quality of mind and spirit that enables one to face up to ethical challenges firmly and confidently, without flinching or retreating.”

Rushworth Kidder tries to define, explore, and promote moral courage, but I caught a whiff of sycophancy coming off the pages and it spoiled the book for me.

In Kidder’s fram
Charlie
I enjoyed reading this book for the most part. Kidder has compiled a variety of research and anecdotes to keep the reader engaged. Moreover, he makes some interesting points about the universality of certain moral principles and the difficult ways in which those principles sometimes conflict. However, his thesis becomes terribly strained at some points, especially toward the end of the book. His efforts to discuss methods of teaching moral courage leave the educator in me sorely disappointed. Fi ...more
Mike McKay
Rush Kidder is a world leader on the issue of ethics and is the founder and president of the Institute for Global Ethics. His books, articles and lectures are important guideposts for individuals and organizations as we continue in the quest to be positive contributors in ever more complex political, social, business and educational environments. Kidder highlights the call for moral courage: the courage to be moral, through stories of situations where that courage was evident and others where is ...more
Terry Jacobs
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good research on universal human values and some good working definitions. The book is dense and the mix of research, analysis, and exposition can make his points difficult to follow at times. He makes many excellent points, but the points can get lost in the complexity of his writing and his tendency to drift off into tangents -- relative and interesting tangents, but tangents that weakened his stories.

Because the book is so packed with information and concepts (and wanders), it requires caref
Susanne
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This book gives a good overview of what moral courage means based on example stories. Every chapter has a checklist at the end that summarizes again the whole book which I find very helpful... especially if I want to look up some things at a later point. Though there is a lot of repetition at some points and sometimes I felt like the author didnt manage to analyze all the situations to the degree and aspect they should have been analyzed. ...more
Cathy Nove-josserand
Well worth reading. Full of stories that illustrate moral dilemmas and instances of moral courage. The author constructs a framework for understanding the difference between moral courage and physical courage or moral convenience.
Spacek Kim
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is an extension of Kidder's book titled: How Good People Make Tough Choices. He expands upon the practical applications from the first book.
Kevin Miller
Apr 17, 2013 marked it as to-read
Recc'd by Kevin Trapani. Values throughout the world :)
Anna Ternova
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I mean I should've expected it but this book was very repetitive. Pretty much gives an example of someone displaying moral courage and then goes on to talk about the same values throughout the book.
Jessica
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A little esoteric at times, but a fundamentally powerful message that will be with me for a long time to come.
Mike
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Good book, but I found the prose a bit choppy. Could be that I've been tired lately, but it just did not flow well. However, the ideas and most of the examples are solid. I recommend it.
Truppidavies
Aug 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Can you believe this was a suggested read from school...and I read it & liked it!
Scott Hopkins
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good read with good anecdotes. Good ethics book for the non academic.
Juna
Nov 26, 2016
Sue Miller
Dec 25, 2016
Emily Analog
rated it did not like it
May 04, 2014