Start by marking “The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts” as Want to Read:
The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts

The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts

Experts in several fields of library and information science have provided introductions to their areas of expertise. This foundation to the profession covers the competencies needed by professional librarians and can serve as both introduction to the new student and an update to the veteran.

Typically, interested laypeople and students are introduced to the knowledge,
Published July 30th 2008 by Libraries Unlimited

To ask other readers questions about The Portable MLIS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portable MLIS

Start your review of The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
Julie
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This book has been quite helpful for me while creating my ePortfolio at San Jose State. I do want to note that I am certain this was a 5 star resource when it was published about five years ago. It still was helpful in getting me to think about how to structure some of my essays for this final project. It was a good refresher as well, but I found myself using subject specific text books, papers from LIS literature, and Rubin's Foundations of Library and Information Sciencea lot more when it came ...more
Amy
Like the book overall, good overview of the field . . . hated a few of the articles though - esp. Garon's near the begining. He totally weakened his argument for unbiased access to information by lacing his own essay full of his own bias and prejudice.
Nicole Mardian
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really interesting and gives an amazing overview of where libraries throughout the millenia have come from (yes, there were libraries thousands of years ago!) and where they're going.
Jessica
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Very useful and practical information - However this book is out-dated and could use an update! I used this book a lot while completing my ePortfolio for my MLIS.
Rachel
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mls
A goldmine of information.
Jackson
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Library Science Students
Recommended to Jackson by: textbook for class
I actually liked this textbook.

It was written as a series of essays by different people in the field, so it actually stayed pretty interesting. It was a pretty good introduction to library science and what the field is all about.

I will note that the chapter that focused on S.R. Ranganathan's 5 Laws of Library Science got some stuff wrong based on every single other source I have checked. Basically they list the second law as "Books are for all." (p xvi) whereas every other source I have ever
Sarah Sammis
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pc, read-in-2010, mlis
The Portable MLIS edited by Ken Haycock and Brooke Sheldon was the main textbook for my Information and Society course. It is a collection of essays on different aspects of librarianship and policies and laws that affect libraries and librarians.

Each week we had to read an essay or two and post an answer to a question posed by our professor. Later in the week we would then have to respond to two other posts by fellow students. All of that extra writing and thinking about that book has left me
viktoria
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
While researching for my (hopefully) last semester in grad school, I grabbed this book, largely because it was available at the library where I work. I wasn't expecting much because of the date, but I was really impressed with how relevant it was for the most part. If your program's as nuts about competences as mine is, it will come in handy. I ended up with nine good pages of notes, and a few resources I hadn't heard of before. Not bad for a six year old book!

tl;dr: I wouldn't necessarily buy
Darell Schmick
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mls
This was given to me by a recent MLS graduate during my Library Science program. I found it to be a great review on the courses I already completed, and a great introduction on courses I hadn't taken yet at the time. Different authors penned each chapter, and I found their names familiar: many of them wrote the textbooks I purchased for my LIS courses of the same name! Turned out to be a great reference for the remainder of my degree program.

Now that I've completed the book, my intention follow
Janet
Tedious, and slightly outdated by now (the e-book craze is only mentioned in passing, with no word on tablets or other mobile devices), but if you keep plugging away you’ll find some very helpful tidbits. Those already working in the library field will realize they already know a lot of the information provided. It does serve a very good dual purpose, however, of introducing the neophyte to the library world as well as shoring up and re-enforcing the knowledge and attitudes of veteran workers.
Rino Landa
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to the study of library and information science (LIS).

The selected articles are very clear and easy to understand (just what you want for an intro. textbook); with just enough examples to flesh out the theories and arguments central to LIS.

However, the article's clarity sacrifices some of the detailed information and that you find in LIS academic research - as well as what is found in more subject-specific texts.

Luckily, each article includes extensive citations and
Greg
It's... all right, I suppose. As a basic introduction to the world of library and information science, it's not bad. At the same time, I can't help but feel that most of this is material that a new MLIS student (the presumed target audience) should already know going into their degree, either through trying to find out about their chosen career, or just in terms of living in the world in general.

Anyway, it's not bad, but it was hardly riveting reading material either. Ultimately, not a textbook
Nancy
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-science
Done with my first MLIS class- 11 to go!! This was an easy text book to read, filled with essays written by many different authors about varied issues in libraries such as ethics, advisory services, marketing and management. Some of the information was dated (copyright 2008) with limited information on newer technology. My professor said this would be the last year he was going to use this book.
Loryn
Jan 24, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: Library and Information Students
This is a really interesting collection of works if you are into libraries and what school entails.

There were a lot of interesting stories that people told, but I probably never would have picked this up if it weren't for school.

It's a good source for library students, I highly recommend it.
Shane
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a good refresher for MLIS classes, and a brief introduction to the MLIS classes I didn't get a chance to take - probably best for those considering the MLIS program than for recent grads; and in terms of a monetary evaluation: I'm glad that I checked this one out at the library, and if I had bought it my rating would be lower.
Kate
Well, of the two books I read for my first class, this one was my least favorite. But assigned readings are rarely fun, and this wasn't an exception.

But it's just an intro class. Maybe our instructor just needs a more dynamic approach to the text?
edh
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
A pretty solid overview for those unfamiliar with the field. LIS theory and reasoning is laid out in basic terms. Give this one to newbies, those just starting library school, and school administrators as a way to start getting up to speed on the ins and outs of library service.
Juliana
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Another pesky textbook for a library science course, this one entitled Information and Society. It reads a bit better as each chapter is written by a new author. However, I doubt the average reader would get much value out of this book.
Anna
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
While finishing my MLIS (i.e., completing competency essays for the portfolio), this collection of writings on librarianship was invaluable. I loved too that I purchased it and then it was downloaded immediately to my Kindle.
Silvia
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book for new MLIS students!
Melissa
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
A good general overview of the profession primarily for those working in public libraries.
Lisa
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: textbooks
This is one textbook that I didn't mind reading. The essays are written by librarians, and hold valuable information.
James
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great overview for those entering the MLIS students.
Rachel
Sep 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: class
This is for writing my e-portfolio this Fall.
Benjamin
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libraries
Read this for the intro course and I am nearly finished with the whole program now and this is still the best textbook I have read for it.
Liz De Coster
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: lis
Covers a broad range of topics, but at a pretty shallow level. Recommended for readers interested in considering library school or librarianship.
{erika}
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grad-school
Gave a nice overview of the field and complimented my other text. Had to do a lengthy book review on it but it was a good choice of material. Very good introduction.
Seth
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful to me when writing my competency statements for my e-portfolio. I recommend it as a useful resource for MLIS students.
Amy!
Apr 26, 2014 added it
Shelves: school-books
This book was 100% essential to me completely my Master's degree. I referenced it in at least 12 of my 14 competency statements, and it was really helpful in finding an angle for writing.
Amanda
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the book we should have had in the library foundations class. Clear, concise, no mind games information about what you need to know about LIS for a new student.

• Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man's Fundamentals for Delicious Living
  • Симетрия
  • Beyond the Bright Sea
  • Management Basics for Information Professionals
  • Uncommon Type
  • The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • The New Librarianship Field Guide
  • Marvel's Jessica Jones
  • Scary Stories Treasury
  • Dynamic Acrylics
  • The Story of Libraries: From the Invention of Writing to the Computer Age
  • H.P. Lovecraft:  The Complete Fiction
  • World of Howl Collection (Howl's Moving Castle, #1-3)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »