Start by marking “Rabble Starkey” as Want to Read:
Rabble Starkey

Rabble Starkey

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  199 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Many things change for twelve-year-old Rabble Starkey, her mother, and her best friend, Veronica Bigelow, when Veronica's mother becomes mentally incapacitated and the Starkeys move in with the Bigelows.
Published April 27th 1987 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Rabble Starkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rabble Starkey

Rebecca McNutt
Rabble Starkey is much deeper than meets the eye, carrying heavy themes of family and the true meaning of being a good neighbour.
Logan Hughes
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-readers
A powerful, thoughtful middle-grades novel which questions: what makes a family? Rabble Starkey and her mother live with the well-to-do Bigelows because Rabble's mother is their live-in housekeeper/nanny. For the first two years of his life, the youngest Bigelow, four-year-old Gunther, actually lived right with the Starkeys in their one-room apartment over the Bigelows' garage, so that in terms of time spent together, Rabble has as much claim to being his big sister as does his actual sister, Ve ...more
A nice sweet coming of age story
Nicole
Jun 12, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-10-read
I did not like this book as much because I didn't really understand the dialect they spoke in. Rabble had a really strong southern accent and poor grammar. She talked in a 'hillbilly' voice. The setting of the book was in West Virginia, so I'm guessing maybe that’s why the tone of the story was written this way. I tried researching about the author, Lois Lowry, but nothing ever mentioned her living in rural places talking like Rabble. But in the book, Rabble and her mom, Sweet- Ho had a good rel ...more
Heather
Enjoyable read. Outdated? Yes, but still a viable story of friendship, family and life changes....some storylines transcend time. I read this because I love Lois Lowry as an author and hadn't read this book of hers from 1987.
Lynda
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Another Lois Lowry book that I wanted to read. There is a lot of death and sadness in Lowry's books it seems, but they are good none the less. This is not particularly a memorable one, but I enjoyed reading about he characters as I went along. Rabble (actual name Parable) lives with her mother who works for a family that is slightly dysfunctional. The mother is kind of crazy. But Rabble is friends with the daughter of the family and they go through some adventures together, and come to points in ...more
Mazzou B
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate Lois Lowry's style and depth of writing. Rabble Starkey was certainly a quick and interesting read; I finished it in one day practically. It however had some rather crude things which were humorous but not for younger readers. Also, there was a ''disturbing scene'' involving a mother who is losing her mind... and there are a couple of bad words/rude behaviours.
I liked the meaning behind the story and loved the relationship between mother and daughter.
Tatra Cooley
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
This was one of my favorites as a teen. I found it the other day and decided to try it again, to see if it stood the test of time. As an adult, I understand a lot more of the mother's story, and her sadness. The story is written in such a way that the main character is totally relatable, even though she is twelve years old.
This book definitely stood the test of time for me. Plus, I read it in one afternoon. ☺
kat
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why has this title fallen into obscurity? The writing quality is superb — easily on par with Lowry's better-known books like Number the Stars. I stumbled upon this because it was a free borrow under the Kindle Unlimited program. The story appears to take place in the 1980s, but other than a brief reference to a VCR, it hasn't aged a bit. The characters are strong and their growth satisfying and believable. This thing deserves a reprint.
Chris
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lois Lowry is absolutely the most talented middle grade/YA author alive. This sweet, ultimately uplifting book is evidence of her gift for honest, engaging stories and likeable but flawed characters -- and its smalltown West Virginia setting was a nice change of pace. I appreciated the lesson that moving on can be painful, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be grateful for what we have.
Amber the Human
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for 25 cents at the Gold Beach Book Store up in Oregon. I figured I'd give it to my local tiny library box in the neighborhood after I finished, but it's just too good to not keep. It's a rough story and Rabble's had a tough life, but Lowry tells us about it in such an honest (and, again) gentle way that you can't help feeling close to Rabble.
Alycia
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved this book since I first read it in 4th grade have re-read it at least 25 times. Rabble is a good kid and Lois Lowry is a fabulous writer.
Rhonda
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I picked it up because I love Lois Lowry books and knew it would be well written. I wasn't disappointed.
Mckinley
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this, the story, the pace.
Cws
JAR5-Low
Samantha Osborne
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book but I had a few problems with it
Stephanie
Britomarte Van Horn
Mar 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Itch
  • Young Indiana Jones and the Tomb of Terror (Young Indiana Jones, #2)
  • The Adventures of Ali Baba Bernstein
  • Slam Book
  • The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
  • Misteri Kutukan Film Horor (Trio Detektif, #6)
  • Remember Me to Harold Square
  • When the Dolls Woke
  • About the B'nai Bagels
  • A Papa Like Everyone Else
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • Dancing Carl
  • Swine Lake
  • The Astrosmurf
  • Pippi On The Run
  • The Blind Colt
  • Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)
  • Come Sing, Jimmy Jo
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always
More about Lois Lowry...