Start by marking “Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder: A 4-Step Plan for You and Your Loved Ones to Manage the Illness and Create Lasting Stability” as Want to Read:

The authors offer those with Bipolar Disorder a four-step plan towards managing the illness and creating lasting stability.
Published September 26th 2006 by Grand Central Life & Style

To ask other readers questions about Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder

Start your review of Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder: A 4-Step Plan for You and Your Loved Ones to Manage the Illness and Create Lasting Stability
Anne
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Had great information for a patient who wants to work at getting better. In our case, our daughter isn't interested in this or anything I bring up about it. Maybe it'd work for a later time. I'm looking for a book to help parents of adult children cope with taking care of this awful illness since she's not willing to try much of anything.
Cheryl Bentley
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The best thing I found on the subject when my daughter was diagnosed. Most helpfully, it contains regular suggestions for friends and family members trying to help someone with bipolar disorder (including what NOT to do or say.) If you have been diagnosed or are helping care for someone with the disorder, you will want to keep this book as a reference.
Sherry Joiner
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Julie A. Fast's Take Charge of Bipolar Disorder: A 4-Step Plan for You and Your Loved Ones to Manage the Illness and Create Lasting Stability, is an encyclopedia of Bipolar Disorder. I enjoy the insights on bipolar disorder in the exercises of this work book. An important read for those who are struggling with or have a family member or loved one with Bipolar Disorder or a mental illness.
Bridgett
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Good general overview on steps you can take to control Bipolar Disorder.
Sandra
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a very basic book that I'd suggest for loved ones of a person with bipolar disorder. It is written from the perspective of someone who has bipolar disorder; however, I found it lacking.
Raina
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
great book for us "crazy" people
Andrea
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is going to save my life! I was diagnosed with bipolar last year and have been trying to get help with preventative care. I finally found it in this book! It has useful tips on how to control your moods and how to stay stable. It tells other people experiences and stories and has helpful advice for those supporting someone with bipolar. I love that it’s a workbook too that you can record your medical history with what medications you’ve tried and what’s worked and any hospitalization h ...more
Anna
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A good basic book for people diagnosed with bipolar disorder and their loved ones. I like the idea for the 4 step plan (lifestyle changes, behavioral changes, medications and support people). At times I found it dry and hard to get through. I was mostly reading it to if it's something I'd recommend to clients. I do think it would be helpful as it has very practical applicable tools. A great "how-to" for those newly diagnosed or folk unable to manage symptoms.
Jane Rozek
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good handbook for those families with who struggle with this health issue. It has actually practical advice written with compassion. Ms. Fast also has personal experience, is a mental health counselor and writes an awesome blog!
Stephanie Jewkes
It's my bible
Helen Geng
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read Feb 2020
Alyssa Crawford
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you need help to develop a management plan for yourself or a family member? This book is extremely practical and therefore very valuable.
Alexandra Alvarenga
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book for anyone who struggles with Bipolar Disorder, I highly recommend it. It has helped me understand & manage my mental illness SO much better. The book truly helps you work through & come up with a plan that will work best for managing day to day life. All the exercises in the book are extremely beneficial & I refer back to the book often on hard days to help get myself back on track. It’s also a beneficial book to read if you have a loved one who struggles with Bipolar ...more
Carina
Mar 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bipolar folks, parents of bipolar children, family members and friends of bipolar folks
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a book really focused on bipolar adults, but does have some supportive ideas for parents and family members.

It covers a 4 step treatment plan that includes:

* Medications and supplements: finding the right medication mix is difficult, but once you've found it, you will benefit
* behavioral changes: knowing your triggers and how to stop a mood swing before it goes too far
* lifestyle changes: sleep, diet, exercise, light, work and money
* asking for help: your health care team, your frien
Lisa
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
My girlfriend asked if I would read this to better understand her illness when she was diagnosed with bipolar II. I found the book to be helpful in understanding the basics about the disease and how to keep my self from getting overwhelmed by her shifting moods. I just have to learn how to put it into practice.
Jason
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Great easy to read how to book for those with Bipolar and their family.
Kim
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful

I would recommend this book to others interested in this topic. Good descriptions of symptoms and how to create a calm and stable environment
Kelley E Bosley
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is excellent for the newly diagnosed. It gives helpful ideas and to do's. I feel like though it would be not as helpful for people who want an in depth wealth of information.
Maurine

• Heads Up Sociology
  • Jungian Dream Interpretation: A Handbook of Theory and Practice
  • 300 Low-Carb Slow Cooker Recipes: Healthy Dinners That Are Ready When You Are
  • AQA Psychology for A Level Year 1 & AS - Student Book
  • 300 15-Minute Low-Carb Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Meals That Let You Live Your Low-Carb Lifestyle and Never Look Back
  • AS Level Sociology
  • A Piece of Cake
  • Super Easy Vegan Cheese Cookbook: 70 Delicious Plant-Based Cheeses
  • Encyclopedia of Crystals, Revised and Expanded
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Cold Calling Techniques {That Really Work!}
  • Pendulum 101 - The Beginner's Guide to Using a Pendulum
  • Thriving in Sex Work: Heartfelt Advice for Staying Sane in the Sex Industry: A Self-Help Book for Sex Workers
  • Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me
  • Ghost Boy: My Miraculous Escape from a Life Locked Inside My Own Body
  • Crazy: A Father's Search Through America's Mental Health Madness
Julie A. Fast is a critically acclaimed six-time author, radio host, national speaker, and sought after expert in the field of mental health management. Since starting her website www.BipolarHappens.com where she offers a treatment plan and advice for those affected by bipolar disorder, Julie has written three traditionally published books on the topic of mood disorders:

Loving Someone with Bipola

News & Interviews

“A Note About Hunger It is almost impossible to describe the hunger caused by many bipolar disorder drugs. It is virtually insatiable—just as thirst can be insatiable with lithium. There are few things you can do about it. Weight gain is often inevitable, even when you eat less and exercise more. This is because some medications appear to change metabolic rates—how fast your body burns calories. Reducing caloric intake helps, but for some people it’s often not a very successful option, especially with antipsychotic drugs and mood stabilizers such as Tegretol and Depakote. It is not abnormal for someone to gain fifty pounds on these drugs. Then there are some who do not gain weight at all and simply stop eating. It is a very complicated issue. The important thing is to not blame yourself. If” 0 likes
“people” 0 likes