Start by marking “A Sense of Urgency” as Want to Read:
A Sense of Urgency

A Sense of Urgency

Most organizational change initiatives fail spectacularly (at worst) or deliver lukewarm results (at best). In his international bestseller Leading Change, John Kotter revealed why change is so hard, and provided an actionable, eight-step process for implementing successful transformations. The book became the change bible for managers worldwide.

Now, in A Sense of Urgency,
Published August 5th 2008 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Sense of Urgency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sense of Urgency

Start your review of A Sense of Urgency
Gene Babon
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
A Sense of Urgency is my fourth and final recommendation for best business book of 2008. The other three were as follows:

What Got You Here Won't Get You There
Never Eat Alone
Launching a Leadership Revolution (Best Business Book of 2008)

One of the author's earlier efforts was the fable Our Iceberg is Melting. A Sense of Urgency provides substance to this fable.

Creating a sense of urgency is the first of eight steps that leaders in any organization need to master in order to improve business operat
Michael Culbertson
Fluffy. Probably would have been better as a HBR article or two. Leading Change felt like it had more substantial content. In A Sense of Urgency, Kotter does clarify that the opposite of a sense of (true) urgency is not always complacency: Sometimes, organizations are beset by false urgency, which manifests as frenetic activity without producing any real movement. True urgency means always asking, "What can be done right now to move the work forward?" This does not always mean that every act ...more
Audrey
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
simple steps, good stories to illustrate the lessons. tactic 2 "behave with urgency everyday" was the one I responded to most ...more
Brandon
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A SENSE OF URGENCY BY JOHN KOTTER

SUMMARY

True urgency focuses on critical issues. It is driven by the deep determination to win, not anxiety about losing. Many people confuse it with false urgency. This misguided sense of urgency does have energized action, but it has a frantic aspect to it with people driven by anxiety and fear. This dysfunctional orientation prevents people from exploiting opportunities and addressing real issues.
A big reason that a true sense of urgency is rare is that it’s n
Dr. Kat
Oct 11, 2018 added it
Shelves: business
I appreciate that the writing in this book was organized and clear, it made for an easier time to flip back and forth between higher level structure and immersed in the later chapters detailing significance of the tactic described. It was a pretty straightforward read.

I liked the advice to the reader about not getting confused with similar looking behaviors, as true sense of urgency should provide relief rather than anxiety if proper actions are taken to resolve matters. I also like the multiple
James Keough
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very long-winded way of emphasizing the importance of having a sense of urgency, and the repercussions of not having a sense of urgency. Seems like a bunch of common sense (pardon the pun), or a duh, when it comes to the examples presented in the book. Not sure I could have read this cover to cover, so thankful this was an audio-book.
Grant Cousineau
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a compact book with an important message for businesses: complacency kills growth, frantic actions can be devastating, but a sustained sense of urgency is critical in spurring long-term growth. It all makes sense, and Kotter supplies a lot of testimonials from anonymous businesses to support this argument. However, it felt like this book was made to be digestible for hurried types (urgent people, I suspect). There's enough to get a foothold in the concepts, like how complacency is natural a ...more
Chris
Mar 04, 2021 rated it liked it
A Sense of Urgency has been sitting on my bookshelf for several years. Although I had started it, I never finished it, as was evidenced by a receipt from 2018. After reading the book, I do wish that I had approached the topic somewhat more urgently.

To start, it’s important to make the distinction between many teams being aligned and moving forward with haste, which is acting with a sense of urgency, and teams running about with a frantic expenditure of unfocused energy. Frantic behavior doesn’t
Declan Waters
Jan 13, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Oh dear... repeating a word (urgency in this case) throughout a book does not make it clear what is meant or what the reader is meant to do. The author uses a story to explain that stories are better than facts, and promptly makes all his stories / examples non-specific, (anonymized) and hence worse than useless.

The author also includes examples which would definitely result in the reader falling fouling of any anti-bullying policy in almost any company in the world, and could certainly lay a bu
Scycer
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
'Orchestrating and maintaining positive momentum' would be a phrase that sums up the entire book, but that in itself makes it sound very boring. However this book via the examples explored throughout the book brings to light on how important it is to maintain a sense of true urgency to achieve solid goals that will compound over a period of time.

A wonderful book which came into my life in the time I really needed it. The book is an easy read and the language also flows well. Some might find the
Charlie Moynahan
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this “business book” with an “education” lens, and it fit perfectly. Professor Kotter outlines a very succinct case for why - and how - we need to be urgent for the most pressing issues effecting us. I’m a teacher, so I read this and substituted many words of business like “corporation” with “district”, and “customers” with “students/families”, and the ideas (he calls them tactics) are no less powerful. If you’re curious about how to be more effective - to truly work “smarter, not harder” ...more
Jordan Munn
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This book could easily be pared down to a 10-page article (I'm assuming it started life as an article anyway). And it tends to say the same thing over and over in different, increasingly emphatic corporo-speak ways. It gets real alpha at times. And yet, despite my peeves with it, it's still a solid, easy-to-read book with some ideas and suggestions worth serious consideration. I'm glad I read it. ...more
Nicole
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Discussed difference between urgency, complacency and false urgency. Did not care for his writing method. Gave me anxiety thinking that after an urgent issue is dealt with, you need to focus on the next issue or create another urgent matter. I think there are times when you should just stop and think about the situation.
Scott Couchenour
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes it’s good to reflect on a point because there’s so much more richness to be derived. Kotter does that in this book. He goes back to point #1 of 8 points in his book Leading Change and digs deeper.

A sense of urgency is absolutely necessary when changing for good. Kotter deals with the topic adequately.
Vinay
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This books goes to the heart of what causes a lot of successful organisations to become obsolete. In one word - complacency. While Kodak and Blockbuster are sadly poster children of this phenomenon, there are teams, departments and organisations that fail to realise their potential because of becoming complacent.
Dwayne A Milley
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whether you’re n the midst of change or not, this is a great read (because if you’re not in the midst of change, you’re not paying attention, because everything is changing).

It’s a quick read - about three hours. And it’s very informative with very helpful tools and instructions to create and maintain a sense of urgency in your work to keep momentum up.
Lance Willett
Mar 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Try something! Be opportunistic and gain a sense of momentum.

True urgency comes from staying alert, bringing outside oxygen in, addressing both heads and hearts, and prioritizing to bringing movement to what matters. Ready to move faster and smarter.

Read hard cover from local library, March 2021.
Gamingtildawn
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really details urgency vs. just frantic actions. Loved all the examples and comparisons. Well written; easy read. Gives you the ability to use concepts on an of your life’s challenges. Spends lots of time explaining complacency which was very helpful.
Mike Studdard
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Well documented with examples of how important urgency is today and tomorrow. Author gives “rules” to create a sense of urgency in ourselves and in groups and companies. Many of the rules are intuitive and a few come from the authors vast experience in consulting.
Arfan Ismail
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book with some insightful points. I would recommend it to anyone who is leading change in any organisation. The central point is how to create urgency with some very specific tactics you can use, including dealing with no-no's, those folks we all run into. ...more
Justinas Lapienis
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A very fine book w/ extremely valuable first couple of chapters. Chapters on addressing the urgency and rallying co-workers I guess were valuable, but I struggled to get any significant take outs that I would feel strong in replicating.
Helfren Filex
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: market
People mistaken activity for productivity.

The change is the most underrated attributes if someone need to be relevant in the current decade of marketplace. The reason is, many salespeople becomes complacent in the environment of success. By creating an urgent instinct in order to drive change.
Erica Johnson
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: boss-booklist
This book was fine. I understand the point the author is getting at. I would have appreciated more specific examples and less fluff.
Vijay
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
Makes valid points about urgency.
Gives many examples.
A little too much expounding , but that is necessary to get simple points across, as people are quick to dismiss simple points.
Farooq Mazhar
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: strategy
I finished "A sense of urgency" with Leading Change, which is also written by John Kotter. ...more
Ric McCormick
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A short read with useful case studies that builds on his previous books but focuses on the beginning of the change journey. Would recommend reading after Leading Change and Heart of Change.
Jeffrey Potter
Change is inevitable, and if you're not ready to deal with it you'll be left behind like Blockbuster. ...more
Amy
Jan 28, 2020 marked it as to-read
Bill Duey 01/28/20
Jacob Rigos
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Addresses urgency in complacent companies and has great examples of how it has happened but doesn't have sufficient examples of how to continually remove complacency ...more
Erica
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It motivated me to instill more urgency in my daily life. It provided many transferable skills to both buisness and in personal life.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • Silos, Politics and Turf Wars: A Leadership Fable about Destroying the Barriers That Turn Colleagues Into Competitors
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management (including featured article “Leading Change” )
  • The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
  • The Big Bad Wolf and the Robot Pig
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • The Life and Writings of C. S. Lewis
  • Social Innovation: How Societies Find the Power to Change
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • A Burning in My Bones: The Authorized Biography of Eugene H. Peterson, Translator of the Message
  • Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable… about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
  • The Future of Management
  • Win the Day: 7 Habits That Unleash the Power of 24 Hours
  • Rebound: From Pain to Passion - Leadership Lessons Learned
  • Saving Cosmo
See top shelves…
John P. Kotter, world-renowned expert on leadership, is the author of many books, including Leading Change, Our Iceberg is Melting, The Heart of Change, and his latest book, That's Not How We Do It Here!. He is the Konosuke Matsushita Professor of Leadership, Emeritus at the Harvard Business School, and a graduate of MIT and Harvard. He is co-founder of Kotter International, a change management an ...more

News & Interviews