Start by marking “Zine: How I Spent Six Years of My Life in the Underground and Finally Found Myself-- I Think” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A young woman named Pagan, just graduated from a writing program at a very prestigious university, is left with one burning question--Now what? She then takes an unusual step by deciding to invent her new self--the one the public will know--by creating her own magazine, written, created by, and starring none other than herself.
Published October 1st 1995 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Zine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zine

Kate Sweeney
Dec 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
God, I was obsessed with this book. This might've been The book that got my high school friend and me to start our own 'zine, or maybe that came first, but at any rate, it crystallized the idea of what writing and publishing for yourself could look like--and what fun it could be. Snarky humor! Photocopied pictures! Whited-out text! Hand-drawn comics!
God, it's still what creativity is to me.

Thank you, Pagan Kennedy.
Ocean
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
this is the book that started it all! i read in 8th grade & i've been a zinester ever since. it was the first thing that made me realize that there was more to life than having a job, working all day & being miserable. it opened up so many goddamn possibilities in my mind & i probably wouldn't be the same person today without it, honestly.
Megan
I admit that I had a 'zine in high school. But mine was nowhere near as cool as Pagan's Head, the 'zine Pagan Kennedy wrote during her MFA years and which she documents in this book. Not only is her 'zine one of the most entertaining and well-written 'zines I've ever seen, but her writing about it in retrospect is incredibly insightful and hilarious. She talks about all the reasons she wanted to have a 'zine, and what exactly she got out of it, with clarity and humor. This is worth reading for a ...more
Lala
A friend gave this book to me a long time ago right before it went out of print. I remember devouring it one afternoon and being surprised at how little advice it gave about zines or perspective. I've reread it and enjoyed it much more for being a collection of one person's zinelife and that makes it valuable.
Elyssa
Oct 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
A fun and entertaining book that was written before blogs existed. It also serves as an inspiration for creating "old school" cut and paste 'zines.
Kevin
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book and the zines it contained, made me want to find more zine written like Pagans.
Dorothea
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I used to read this zine in the 90's. Loved her!
Ruth
Sep 03, 2008 rated it liked it
I am pretty sure I read this book, but I don't remember if I liked it or not
Violet
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
an early influence on me
Anne
Jan 02, 2013
Joe Brown
Jul 17, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pagan Kennedy is a regular contributor to the New York Times and author of eleven books. A biography titled Black Livingstone made the NewYork Times Notable list and earned Massachusetts Book Award honors. She also has been the recipient of a Barnes and Noble Discover Award, a National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in Fiction, and a Smithsonian Fellowship for science writing. Visit her online ...more