Start by marking “The Dog Under The Bed” as Want to Read:
The Dog Under The Bed

The Dog Under The Bed

(The Dog Under The Bed #1)

This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog's search for a home, but not just a home, simply someone to show him he matters, that he is loved by someone.

Arthur is a small dog, lost and alone on the streets of Warrington, simply trying to survive. Afraid and hungry, he runs constantly away from trouble, until he finds an unusual escape, into the house of a family, a
Published January 14th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Under The Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Under The Bed

Start your review of The Dog Under The Bed
Tracey Gemmell
Mar 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've never written a one-star review before - and this book only gets the one star for the cover. Typically, if I can't give at least three stars I don't review. I'm aware not all books fit all readers so I hand the book on and pick another. However, in the case of The Dog Under The Bed, I can't in good conscious even hand it on to Goodwill. I picked this book as the cover was sweet and I was looking for an animal theme. But this is not actually a book. It's a first draft of an essay written by ...more
Ski Croghan
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It made me cry several different times!!!!!!

Arthur is just a little dog who needs a warm dry place to sleep on a winter's night. Slipping into an open door, he finds a room with a space under the bed just his size. When he wakes he finds he is locked in the house and then the fun starts!! He is a living pup that through no fault of his own is now a street dog. I'm an animal rescuer when I can be one. I've see many terrified little dog looking for luv in all the wrong places. ALL he has is memori
Marion Beever , ms
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nice little quick read.

I chose this book because I am an avid dog book person. I myself have two standard poodles and have thought many times to write stories about their antics. I have up and engineering job when I got sick and got a Poole as a comfort dog. As most owners know there are very expensive dogs to groom. My groomer made an offer that if I work in shop two th a week he would teach me how to groom. Th a was right years ago an i can groom every breed there is. This has given me the i
Marilyn
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dog-books
This author, unknown to me, is British according to the information available. During the first half of the book I kept threatening to myself to give it a DNF. There are a lot of grammar, punctuation, and other errors that jumped off the page and made it difficult to read for content instead of with my teacher hat on. (At those points I wondered if it was British slang, but will never know for sure.)

But the story did have a cute draw, and it's very short (just under 100 pages), so I kept reading
Judith  Wong
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Life on the street is harsh and dangerous, will Arthur ever find a loving home again?

Once a loved and grateful companion to a wonderful couple, Arthur is frightened by the loud noises the woman's son made upon finding her lifeless body. As a dog, Arthur couldn't recognize that sound as anguish and ran away to begin the era of his homelessness. Coming upon an open door, Arthur couldn't resist the warmth and the promise of food. If only he could stay hidden! Arthur takes his chances and enters the
Judith
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You'll never guess the ending! No peaking.

This book had me at the cover. I knew as soon as I saw it I had to read it. It did not disappoint. The proof readers missed a few things but I was so into the story I didn't care. It brought tears to my eyes on several occasions. There's nothing worse for me than reading about a poor innocent dog on the streets. They are innocent victims and far too many. Nothing warns my heart more than an animal finding their forever home. I'm an advocate for animals a
Sandi
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-stories
I loved this book. I cried so much at the end. His dreams were so very sad! Great ending.
However, this book being self-published, is in desperate need of an editor. I don't like self-published books because they are so hard to read with lots and lots of typos in it. I know this is a book written in England and know different words are used but, seriously, some sentences did not make sense. If this book is reissued, please use a Publisher. This would win awards if this book was Published properly
Julie Koberstein
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
First book ever...

This is the first book I've borrowed, and read - but don't know how to turn it back in. This is the first book I've read that has lots of misspelled words and grammatical errors. But then maybe it's just my upbringing and education. The book held my interest, but it got a little tiresome with the doggie hiding in different areas of the house. The book has a nice ending.
Yolande Helm
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A feel good book

I am writing this review in May 2020. At a time when the world is fallen around us, it feels good to read a story about a brave little brown dog, who, after years on the street finds a home, but on his own terms. He hides under the boy's bed, finds good when the family is out, used the plants for his currencies but remains hiding while dreaming of the old lady who once lived him. Will the family finally find him? A must read.
Lis Sigona
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thought the storyline subject matter was wonderful delightful. What I found absolutely painful and dreadful to get through was the reading of such grammatical errors, lack of proofreading and someone to guide the man to make this the wonderful story it should have been. It saddens me when I see a book get this fair to only find such travesties to a book that could have done and been wonders for all ages.
Dennis Stockton
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brief, enjoyable read

The story is somewhat implausible, however it was a fun, quick read that was written from a street dog's perspective. I never really figured out how the pooch ended up in the house but as the story progressed we did figure out how his homeless situation came about. I could see myself reading this as a bedtime story to my 7-10 year-old grand kids. Enjoyed!
Donna Harrington
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, want an amazing story!! I have been looking for months for a good book only to ready a few chapters in other books then put them down. This was amazing!

It kept me wondering what would happen next for the little dog. Loved it and would read again!!! so good, such a feel good book.
cindy avelino
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice but ended abruptly

I loved the book. The journey of Arthur was fun. His escapades were hilarious. His dreams of his first owner was endearing however; the ending was so sudden. I would have appreciated the revelation to be built up but it was over so quickly and uneventful. A "scoobydo" type of revelation for such a lovely, lively story.
Vicki Mize
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good story. It leaves you feeling good. A happy ending. Arthur found his way home and love and kindness again. Keep the stories with happy endings coming, it helps renew our faith in mankind.

I love books with happy endings. It leaves you feeling good añd happy at the end of the story and wishing it would contiue on with Arthur’s life and adventures.
erin bortzfield
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Terrific tender story, gives us all hope for love and kindness

Excellent story and character development. Steady emotive writing without being maudlin. Arthur is a treat! Move over Jack Sparrow, Arthur is here!
Patricia Brunner
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charming Story

This is a tale that is heart warming and draws you in even as you know it's a modern fairy tale. The only reason I rated it a four rather than five is because the lack of editing detracts from the reading enjoyment.
Jen
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Totally did not end the way I expected! It was a thousand times better! A little odd following the dictation from the dog but I adapted well around chapter 3. Makes me wonder what my dog thinks about!
Virginia Defranco
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Ending

Want a book that keeps you wondering what the dod will do next and if he gets caught, then ends well? Then this is your book, must read, wish there was mor to it. Didn’t like how it just ended . Would have liked to know how Arthur adjusted.
Diane
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story! If you are a dog lover, you will, too. I am not sure that the book was edited...maybe an early print...but the story hooked me, and I got past the errors. I've downloaded the 2nd book in the series. ...more
Billie Jo Walsh
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Didn’t See That Coming

I really enjoyed this very funny, charming, mysterious story. Arthur was truly a dog’s dog. He displayed every characteristic of every dog I’ve had; especially the eating! Loved it. The ending was quite a surprise and I didn’t see it coming.
Susan B Pierce
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A cute dog story

I felt sad for this dog who had lost his person. I was happy he was so ingenious to find a place to stay, under a little boy's bed. Now I'll have to find the other books in the trilogy to find out more about his past and his future.
Peggy Harwood
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book

Really enjoyed reading this book and could not put it down until the end. Would highly recommend this book especially to everyone who loves and understands the love of a dog.
Nancy Clare
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story

If you love dogs and happily ever afters you will love this story. I normally avoid anything that will make me cry and this one did but it was well worth reading. I Hope you enjoy this story as much as I did.
Karen
Dec 26, 2020 rated it liked it
3 because it was a good, fast read. But I had pages in the book where they shouldn't be and the author really need to hired an editor to proofread. Some mistakes and some (I am assuming) British wording/slang. But I did enjoy the story. ...more
Patricia Folsom
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Adored this book... Going to read the others!

I adored this book...enjoyed it all, and could actually feel like the main character myself, in every situation, and never saw the ending coming !!!
Elsie M. Paroz
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Arthur

Loved this very sweet story about Arthur. I love dogs so like to read stories like this with happy endings.
Kenn Goslin
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love dog 🐕 stories!

What a welcome story! In spite of some typos & contextual discrepancies, this is a most delightful story about a dog coming home!
Gertrude Benitez
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute book

A good read clever dog. Happy ending Arthur captured your heart. It's good to read about a dog that makes it
Tamera Hazlet
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I love this book. The twist at the had me sobbing like a little girl.
I'm an animal lover and believe every dog needs a home, even if it is under someone's bed.
Su
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Easy reader.. Enjoyed it.. Will bring good tears at the end.. If you like dogs you will like this I did
Goodreads Librari...: Need my new book adding to my profile. 2 12 Jan 22, 2018 10:35AM

• Chasing the Blue Sky
  • Saving Sadie: How a Dog That No One Wanted Inspired the World
  • A Dog For Keeps: A Lilac Creek Dog Story
  • Say No More (The Faderville Novels)
  • Diary of a Dumpster Pup: How a cat lover saved the life of an abandoned newborn puppy. A true story.
  • A Dog Like Ralph
  • Shadow
  • Saving Parker (A Forever Home, #3)
  • A Forever Home (Second Chances, #1)
  • Jessica's Diary: A sweet story about a puppy with three legs.
  • Rescuing Finley (Forever Home, #1)
  • Fully Staffed
  • Robins in the Snow (A Dog Romance Story)
  • Silver and Gold (Angel Paws)
  • Echo
  • Sasha
  • Say Something (The Faderville Novels Book 3)
  • The Ordinary Life of an (Extra) Ordinary Dog - A Memoir
DJ Cowdall is the author of the hugely popular 'The Dog Under The Bed Series'. He is a British Author, having spent many years writing and publishing short stories, now writing novels of all types

Released January 2018, his novel, "'The Dog Under The Bed", is a charming and funny tale about a stray dog in need of a home, which has received a huge response from readers

He has also authored a book abo

The Dog Under The Bed (3 books)
  • Arthur On The Streets (The Dog Under The Bed #2)
  • What Happened Next (The Dog Under The Bed #3)

News & Interviews